Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ishiyakazuo said:
I happened upon 1234 EL on Friday in Schaumburg. Now that's an easy to remember license plate!

Finally saw a LEAF with > 3000 plate number (last two were on Tesla's) ... it was a white one in Deer Park / Lake Zurich area and the plate was 3128 EL, this was just over this past weekend. More than likely, that owner probably didn't get the 10% IL MSRP EV rebate so at least that hasn't totally nixed EV sales here.

redLEAF said:
ishiyakazuo said:
I happened upon 1234 EL on Friday in Schaumburg. Now that's an easy to remember license plate!
Finally saw a LEAF with > 3000 plate number (last two were on Tesla's) ... it was a white one in Deer Park / Lake Zurich area and the plate was 3128 EL, this was just over this past weekend. More than likely, that owner probably didn't get the 10% IL MSRP EV rebate so at least that hasn't totally nixed EV sales here.
Could also be a used one... they'd get a new plate number. However, if it's higher than Dino's number, it could well be a dealer-issued plate, making it a little more likely to be new (maybe?)

ishiyakazuo said:
redLEAF said:
ishiyakazuo said:
Could also be a used one... they'd get a new plate number. However, if it's higher than Dino's number, it could well be a dealer-issued plate, making it a little more likely to be new (maybe?)

I suppose that's possible ... wasn't close enough to see how old it was; newer ones can have the 17" alloys which make them a bit more distinctive that the '11's and '12's ; as far as dealer issued EL plates, I doubt that as although the IL SOS had a number of extra ones made, unlike the 'regular' issue plates, unless a dealer is a high volume EV seller they wouldn't let them have them on hand to assign at time of delivery. I'm not sure how they treat the Tesla 'stores' but all the new ones seem to get the yellow temporary plates so even they probably don't get a stack of EL plates.

redLEAF said:
I suppose that's possible ... wasn't close enough to see how old it was; newer ones can have the 17" alloys which make them a bit more distinctive that the '11's and '12's ; as far as dealer issued EL plates, I doubt that as although the IL SOS had a number of extra ones made, unlike the 'regular' issue plates, unless a dealer is a high volume EV seller they wouldn't let them have them on hand to assign at time of delivery. I'm not sure how they treat the Tesla 'stores' but all the new ones seem to get the yellow temporary plates so even they probably don't get a stack of EL plates.
The '11/'12 ones have the side indicator lights as well (which might be easier to spot at a distance).

I leased my Leaf from Rosen Nissan in Gurnee. Soon after I bought it, they installed a CHadeMO and said I could use it for no charge. I stopped by Zeigler Nissan who took over the dealership as Rosen retired, and they wanted to charge me $10 to use it. I didn't use it and it really turned me off to using Zeigler as a dealer for future purchases.

I leased my Leaf from Rosen Nissan in Gurnee. Soon after I bought it, they installed a CHadeMO and said I could use it for no charge. I stopped by Zeigler Nissan who took over the dealership as Rosen retired, and they wanted to charge me $10 to use it. I didn't use it and it really turned me off to using Zeigler as a dealer for future purchases.

r1234567 said:

While the new dealer has, (I suppose..could be certain things in the contract with respect to the previous dealer and Nissan Corporate,) every right to charge for the L3 charge, I feel it is bad policy in that it is "negative" toward the Leaf and FOR SURE, I would not even think of buying or leasing a car from them.

Thanks for posting this..and I might suggest you talk with the, (get to the General Manager or the owner,) and if they will not reverse their policy..or as a minimum, grandfather in previous purchasers, let them know that you are going to write to Nissan Corporate and go to their website giving them an "F". That will have an impact as they are "graded" by corporate on their sales and service.

Let us know if there is any change!!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    4.7 KB · Views: 27
OK, Chicagoland (actually question is for all IL EV drivers who have EL plates); it's a quite rare occurrence to start of with (having only run across 1 other so far 'in the wild') but saw a BMW i8 today and it had ... drum roll please ... IL EL plates on it! (plate was 2565 EL to be specific).

These plates, as per the IL SOS site (link below) are for 100% electric powered cars and NOT PHEV's (like the Volt, C-Max Energi, BMW i3 REx, etc.) so perhaps they're relaxing the restriction a bit or this person has some clout? I would think that it perhaps was a Tesla to BMW trade-in or some other 'mistake' as the i8, although a fantastic car in its own right, can only run about 15 miles (EPA estimate) on 100% electricity, the rest of its range of course is gas powered.

Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): “The owner of a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division weighing 8,000 pounds or less propelled by an electric engine and not utilizing motor fuel, may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $35 for a 2-year registration period

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html

Car was spotted in Buffalo Grove cutting through the Shell station (but of course to avoid the long red light!) at Rt. 83 and Arlington Hts Rd.; I've got to keep my smart phone ready for any future sightings ...

Believe me, if I happen to trade my '12 LEAF for a PHEV in the future I'd love to exchange my low numbered EL plate to tout the fact that it at least runs partially on pure electricity so if they now 'waive' the 'affirmation' (see IL SOS site) that would be good news to Volt, i3 REx, etc. drivers as well (save a few bucks on license fees) ... the plate isn't pretty (plain white background with black letters) but only runs $35 for every two years versus $101 every year.

Phatcat73 said:
DMV will eventually catch-on. I had passenger plates a while back on a pick-up. I received a letter a few months later to replace the plates with truck plates.

That's one that's a fairly easy catch and probably something that they're (IL SOS) used to seeing and perhaps going after; this one perhaps not so much but we'll see. I see you're in Buffalo Grove, maybe you'll spot it as well ...

Did this happen to be a white i8 with some of the signature blue and black trim on it? If so, I bet I saw the same one "in the wild" on I-290/53 North heading from 355 & Lake St. toward the Woodfield area (not far from Buffalo Grove.) I wonder if and when and how they will catch on. Something tells me, they would have no clue, nor pay any attention to it!.

redLEAF said:
OK, Chicagoland (actually question is for all IL EV drivers who have EL plates); it's a quite rare occurrence to start of with (having only run across 1 other so far 'in the wild') but saw a BMW i8 today and it had ... drum roll please ... IL EL plates on it! (plate was 2565 EL to be specific).

These plates, as per the IL SOS site (link below) are for 100% electric powered cars and NOT PHEV's (like the Volt, C-Max Energi, BMW i3 REx, etc.) so perhaps they're relaxing the restriction a bit or this person has some clout? I would think that it perhaps was a Tesla to BMW trade-in or some other 'mistake' as the i8, although a fantastic car in its own right, can only run about 15 miles (EPA estimate) on 100% electricity, the rest of its range of course is gas powered.

Definition (625 ILCS 5/12-805): “The owner of a motor vehicle of the first division or a motor vehicle of the second division weighing 8,000 pounds or less propelled by an electric engine and not utilizing motor fuel, may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $35 for a 2-year registration period

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/electric_vehicle.html

Car was spotted in Buffalo Grove cutting through the Shell station (but of course to avoid the long red light!) at Rt. 83 and Arlington Hts Rd.; I've got to keep my smart phone ready for any future sightings ...

Believe me, if I happen to trade my '12 LEAF for a PHEV in the future I'd love to exchange my low numbered EL plate to tout the fact that it at least runs partially on pure electricity so if they now 'waive' the 'affirmation' (see IL SOS site) that would be good news to Volt, i3 REx, etc. drivers as well (save a few bucks on license fees) ... the plate isn't pretty (plain white background with black letters) but only runs $35 for every two years versus $101 every year.

djkjmuoh said:
Did this happen to be a white i8 with some of the signature blue and black trim on it? If so, I bet I saw the same one "in the wild" on I-290/53 North heading from 355 & Lake St. toward the Woodfield area (not far from Buffalo Grove.) I wonder if and when and how they will catch on. Something tells me, they would have no clue, nor pay any attention to it!.

redLEAF said:

Yes, thats the one ... hard to miss

EDIT: she (saw the driver this time) must have started this commute recently as I saw her again this morning (6:30 AM local); too fast to take a photo, same route -- just like a lot of other Tesla / sports car drivers, no front plate but doubled check the back and read it correctly

I thought there are two versions of the i3, one that is all electric and one with a range extender. So if it's the basic version, why is there an issue with EL plates?

r1234567 said:
I thought there are two versions of the i3, one that is all electric and one with a range extender. So if it's the basic version, why is there an issue with EL plates?

That's true for the i3 but NOT the 2-seater i8 ... they're only offering a single PHEV version

BMW_i8_IAA_2013_04.jpg

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/bmwi/i8

OK, didn't think this was simply a rare EV sighting but on my way home from work, passing through Buffalo Grove and saw a medium blue Toyota RAV4 EV with IL EL plates 2662. These are quite stealthy from the rear as you would totally miss the EV badges but this one still had the special CA CAV stickers on it ... so then, this peaks my interest to see what the going rate is on these and low and behold, this exact car is on autotrader ... very low miles but its a '13:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...RAV4[RAV4%7CEV]][]]&listingId=391961427&Log=0

What are the odds ... has to be one of perhaps less than nothing here in IL

Pretty sure I've seen this person check in to stations on PlugShare. I want to say I first noticed it when he checked into the Kane County Courthouse station I was planning to visit soon after he checked in. I messaged him on PlugShare and asked how he got his hands on a Rav4EV in IL and he simply replied Cars.com. Interesting. Wonder if it's him.

redLEAF said:
OK, didn't think this was simply a rare EV sighting but on my way home from work, passing through Buffalo Grove and saw a medium blue Toyota RAV4 EV with IL EL plates 2662. These are quite stealthy from the rear as you would totally miss the EV badges but this one still had the special CA CAV stickers on it ... so then, this peaks my interest to see what the going rate is on these and low and behold, this exact car is on autotrader ... very low miles but its a '13:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...RAV4[RAV4%7CEV]][]]&listingId=391961427&Log=0

What are the odds ... has to be one of perhaps less than nothing here in IL

Once again, perhaps BMW's 'i'series get a pass from IL SOS but saw an oblivious i3 ReX driver (I would guess BMW drivers probably don't cross shop their potential EV's with our LEAF's, I mean come on there aren't many of us, I was right next to you!) but this i3 with the two obvious 'fuel' flaps on the passenger side had EL plates 3116. I almost thought ALL i3's get both fuel filler doors but saw photos of some without the range extender with just the rear flap for the charge port. I mean it's great we're seeing even more EL plates in the 3,000 series but if Volts or C-Max Energis or Prius Plug-ins can't get them because they also use gas, then neither should these Bimmers. If this is the case down the road, perhaps I'll be able to transfer my low numbered EL plate to my new VW Cross Blue Coupe with its diesel plug-in when they finally get to the U.S. In late '17 or early '18.

Back