SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JPVLeaf said:
Hi. Just wanted to send out a quick 'save-the-date' for a morning breakfast potluck on Saturday, Aug 29th @ 8a -11a at our home in Irvine, north of the 5 Fwy. This will be our official/unofficial 5th anniversary gathering! :)

We have L2 (240v/16a) charging in the garage, and of course some L1 trickle charging.

jp
I can bring my DIY Quick 220 box to hopefully provide a 2nd 16 amp 240V charging position. We would need two outlets on separate circuits within 50 ft of garage. Both outlets must NOT have Ground Fault Interruption (eliminates code-compliant kitchen, laundry room, or outdoor), but both should be grounded. I can test for these conditions.

My box provides its power to a L6-20 socket as used on upgraded LEAF portable EVSE. I have adapters for others.

I used this system successfully for a similar gathering at Boomer23's house.

Hi gang,
I would appreciate comments from my friends on this thread to the following technology idea. You can PM me.

I have just recently discovered a fairly new type of heating/cooling system called ductless mini-split multi-zone. I am thinking of ditching my present central air/heating system, which is 20 years old and very noisy with an original SEER rating of 12, reduced by old ducting.

Besides providing higher room-specific efficiency and quiet all night cooling of my bedroom, the new system would avoid the carbon footprint of natural gas for heating.

Here is one example of this type of system:

http://www.comfortup.com/gree-multi...k-12k-indoor?gclid=CNzdrLOUlccCFUFufgodx90EQw

For some planning ahead...

------ 61st month Gatherings ------ (Start of 6th year of Gatherings)
Gathering #61a: 12 Sep 2015 at the HTB in Cerritos for breakfast.
Gathering #61b: 26 Sep 2015 at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana for breakfast.

------ 60th month Gatherings ------ (End of 5th Year of Gatherings)
Gathering #60b: 22 Aug 2015 at the HTB on 17th in Santa Ana for breakfast.
Gathering #60c: 29 Aug 2015 an anniversary breakfast potluck at Jeanne's home.

Note, Upcoming Event near Cerritos HTB on 12 September 2015:

National Drive Electric Week Event - Long Beach
Saturday, September 12, 2015
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Houghton Park
6301 Myrtle Ave
Long Beach, CA 90805

We could have breakfast from 8 to 9:30 or 10 or so,
and go over to this event. I estimate that there are only
about 80 parking spaces at this location, but...

Or, we could go to this event at 9 or so, and meet at the HTB
(or Golden Corral) for lunch at about 12:30.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Our next Gathering is this coming Saturday, 22 August, at the Hometown
Buffet on 17th Street in Santa Ana, just 2 blocks East of I-5.

HTB opens at 8 AM for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday,
so some of us arrive at 8 o'clock, plus or minus a few minutes.
We often eat and chat until at least 11 AM, but sometimes
stay longer if there is the interest.

We often have LEAFs, Teslas, Rav4EVs, and a Coda, an BMW i3,
and possibly a Mitusbishi iMev in the parking lot.

Hopefully, see you there.
Cheers, Gary

Prompted by a story in the NYTimes, I have been researching the status of electric generation from coal.
I have posted a series of quotes from several sources in my Grid Scale thread that paint a picture of dramatic rapid decline. I give a link to this post below for my friends on this thread.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19398&p=433901#p433901

Just 2 days until our next Gathering, at the Hometown Buffet on
17th Street, 2 blocks East of I-5, in Santa Ana. Opens at 8 AM for
breakfast.

Be there or be pentagonal.
Cheers, Gary

Two hours and zero minutes to ... our Gathering in Santa Ana.
Two blocks East of I-5 on 17th Street, just before the tracks on the right.
Two by two, or one in one, come any way you can get there.
Too soon to eat ... too much, today ... tonight.

A very nice Gathering with 9 bodies, and at least 2 LEAFs, 3 Teslas, a Rav4EV, a BMW i3,
and one unknown (t g x Tes, a d Lea, p Bmw, d Rav, r X, y ?) as best I can recall with my
less-than-perfect brain.

The question that remains least answered is ... What about next Saturday's Potluck?
More info when I get it.

I sent a PM and an email to JP asking for Event details.

While we wait, assuming that the Breakfast Buffet is still On,
please post here if you intend to attend, with number of
people, and what food items that you would like to bring.

Then, we can pre-coordinate the food and I can post or PM the details
when I get them. JP might not want address and phone, etc. "exposed"
in public.

For now, assume about 8 to 11, located in north Tustin,
east of the I-5 and south of the 55.
East a few miles on Tustin Ranch Road as I recall.

Also, for now, assume that the hardware is being provided, either
by the host, or by me. In case hardware is needed, you might
indicate what would be easy for you to bring.

Of course, we need waffle iron(s) and batter for Boomer...
Cheers, Gary

There is a small chance that JP's work or ?? would require her
to cancel, so we could have a Plan B location. Any suggestions?

Gary, and possibly Nancy if we can leave Heidi alone.
Plates, bowls, waffle iron, and some "silverware" if needed.
Food possibilities:
Scrambled eggs or other egg dish, skim milk or other drink, and ???
possibly Nancy's Chicken Glop, ... or whatever others do not bring.

So, the 5th anniversary potluck breakfast is definitely on for next Saturday, Aug 29th from 8a to 11a at our home in Irvine, just north of the 5 Fwy at the Culver Drive exit.

Whether you're an old-timer or a newbie, please join us. Feel free to come when you can. There will always be EV talk going on, so your company will be welcomed at any time. Bring a friend. Well-behaved children are also welcome, and can be entertained by my 10 y/o's.

Please send me private message (PM), and I will send you the address and directions ... via PM, or email if you like. I'll start a sign-up list and post here. Also, let me know if you will be needing any charging while here.

If you need a charge for the return trip, we have L2 (240v/16a) charging in the garage, and of course some L1 trickle charging. Tbleakne will be bringing his DIY Quick 220 box to hopefully add a 2nd 16 amp 240V charging position. In addition, there are several QC and L2 within 10 miles. Check your Plugshare app/site.

We'll provide plates, bowls, utensils, cups, etc., and home baked muffins, scrambled eggs, and hot cocoa.

Please let us know what you would like to bring. (If any items need to be reheated, or warmed, we can do that here. However, I don't intend to do any 'cooking' here the morning of.)

Here are some ideas:
- Egg, any style
- Sausage/bacon
- Juices
- Potatoes/hash browns
- Pastries, Danishes
- English muffins or toast
- Fruit
- Any favorite dish you would like to share.
- Coffee ... I'm not a coffee person, so if you are, you can offer to bring your favorite blend.

We can also set up a table or two in the garage if there is interest in some kind of building, upgrading or repair work. Gary G indicated there might be some Gid-meter upgrades available.

Sound off here on this thread to keep track of who might be coming, and what you might bring. PM me for any other questions, if you like.

Thank you!

Jeanne

p.s. If things work out this week, I may also have a 'shiny and weighty' item to share with the group on Sat.

BTW, thank you for the reminders and nudging, GaryG. We just returned from a week long road trip, and am getting back into gear. EV-related, our trip found us visiting the then 4-day old Tesla Monterey Service center/Superchargers. It was a treat, and it was the first one that I had seen that had a 24/7 'owners lounge'. Very snazzy.

As for the breakfast potluck, we have the following joining us at our home so far (8/29/15):
Dori I (1)
TBleakne (1), non-meat dish
GaryG, and better half (2), "Scrambled eggs or other egg dish, skim milk or other drink, and ???". However, I'm very interested in Nancy's chicken glop!

Also, if know of some Leaf old-timers who don't frequent this thread as much lately and/or are EV-converts, please pass on the word.

TY!
jp

mwalsh said:
I was going to come to the gathering at Jeannie's but it appears I have a Church commitment that morning so I won't be able to make it. I'll catch up with you guys another time.
Aww. Sorry that you won't be able to join us, Mike. Of course, if things change, we'd love for you to come. :)

We have the following joining us at our home so far (8/29/15):

- Dori I (1)
- TBleakne (1), non-meat dish
- GaryG, and better half (2), "Scrambled eggs or other egg dish, skim milk or other drink, and ???".
However, I'm very interested in Nancy's Chicken Glop!
- Tom/Sparky (1), bagels/lox ...

As for amount to bring, please check back here by Thu/Fri for an estimate on no. of guests expected (6-10 maybe?).

See post above for more details on the potluck breakfast, and for other ideas on goodies to bring ... though anything is welcomed.

TY!
jp

If you need any help with "shiny and weighty" (a big baby?),
just let me know, since I have some experience with unusual
delivery procedures.

I will get Nancy to make her Chicken Glop casserole, which might
need some reheating. I will also bring milk and orange juice.

I hope Nancy can come. Do you have a dog? I have a special 3-wheel doggie
stroller, similar to a baby stroller, that I could bring, but most of the
time Heidi would be on my arm or on my lap, I suspect. Thoughts?
I just hate to leave Heidi alone, but I could do so, it is just hard on her.

More later, Gary

Nancy says OK to making her Chicken Glop (chicken enchilada casserole) for
our Saturday celebration of just about 120 Gatherings in the last 5 years.

Everybody, please contact others of "our EV family", since many will not
be aware of this very special anniversary potluck at Jeanne's home.
Jeanne, thanks so very much for hosting us again, you have a kind heart.

I will also bring skim milk and some juice, probably orange juice.
More Later, Gary

I'll be there with coffee for everyone. (Caffeinated only)

Gary, I noticed that you mentioned a waffle iron. If you're bringing that for me, it really isn't necessary. I can enjoy a breakfast without waffles, even though my comments don't always sound that way. :D :D :lol: :lol:

We have the following joining us so far on Sat., 8/29:

- Dori/LeafyD (1)
- TBleakne (1), non-meat dish
- GaryG, and better half (2), "Scrambled eggs or other egg dish, skim milk or other drink, and ???".
However, I'm very interested in Nancy's Chicken Glop!
- Sparky (1), bagels/lox ...
- 91040 and better half (2), fruit bowl
- Boomer23 (1), caffeinated coffee
- Jpv (2, plus two halves) ... whole wheat orange spice muffins, scrambled eggs, 2% milk, toast, hot cocoa

As for amount to bring, please check back here by Thu/Fri for expected no. of guests (10-14 maybe?).

See post above for more details on the potluck breakfast, and other ideas on goodies to bring ... anything is welcomed. FYI, though I don't plan to do any cooking the morning of, let me know if you would like to ... we have large griddle, oven, microwave, toaster oven ... ah, but no waffle iron.

TY!
jp

Back