SoCal Year 5 LEAF & EV Gatherings - See Year 6

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps change my food description to:
Nancy's Chicken Glop (chicken "enchilada" casserole), skim and chocolate milk, and orange juice.

I can bring a "Mickey Mouse" or "Hearts' waffel iron(s) if anybody brings the waffel batter:
4 dry ingredients, mixed well: flower (the base material), sugar (adds sweetness
and helps it brown), baking powder (makes it rise), salt (very, very little)
4 wet ingredients, milk (for desired consistency), oil (makes it not stick
while cooking), eggs (the healthy part), and vanilla (adds flavor and aroma)
Go for waffel consistency, not the more runny pancake consistency.
For special occasions, I add food coloring, red, green, blue, yellow, or purple,
sometimes as swirl mix rather than a solid color.
Yes, the amounts/proportions are fairly important, "just right" is best.

Cheers, Gary

I just sent a PM to:

JeremyW, TonyWilliams, eHelmholtz,15of500, abasile, 
GlennD, Sondy132001, Kataphn, Woosie, pchilds

reminding them of the potluck. I think I got most who
posted in this thread for the past year that have not
already responded, and who live in the SoCal area.
However, if there are others, please remind them.

Thanks, GG

I am bringing organic oatmeal along with raisins, dried cranberries, and blueberry greek yogurt. I plan to cook the oatmeal when I get there using the pot I will bring. Hopefully you can provide several small dishes to serve the raisins, cranberries, and yogurt.

Just over 32 hrs until our 5th anniversary potluck breakfast this Sat., Aug 29th from 8a - 11a at our home in Irvine, just north of the 5 Fwy @ Culver exit. If you're within driving range, please join us. Send me a PM for the address and directions.

See above post for more details:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17823&p=434334#p434334

We have the following coming along so far ... several EV die-hards, no newbies, yet:

- Dori/LeafyD (1)
- TBleakne (1), organic oatmeal w/ raisins and dried cranberries, and blueberry greek yogurt.
- GaryG/Nancy (2), Nancy's chicken "enchilada" casserole, skim and chocolate milk, and orange juice.
- Sparky (1), bagels/lox ...
- 91040 and Mrs. 91040 (2), bowl of fruit
- Boomer23 (1), caffeinated coffee
- Jpv (2, plus two halves) ... whole wheat orange spice muffins, scrambled eggs, 2% milk, toast, hot cocoa

Plenty of space left. Let us know what you'd like to share with the group.

TY!
Jeanne

Steven (who bought my LEAF) will join us, bringing bagles, lox, and cream cheese.
I think that brings us to 13 bodies total.

Nancy got home with the makings for Glop, but it was so hot out that she
no longer has the energy to cook. Being a very kind an unstanding husband,
I said "Don't worry dear, rest of 5 or 10 minutes before you start". :eek: :lol:

See you all tomorrow.

Repeating and likely final update ....

Our 5th anniversary potluck breakfast is tomorrow, Sat., Aug 29th from 8a - 11a at our home in Irvine, just north of the 5 Fwy @ Culver exit. If you're within driving range, please join us. Send me a PM for the address and directions.

See above post for more details:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=17823&p=434334#p434334

We have the following coming along so far:

- Dori/LeafyD (1), Breakfast pizza!! :p
- TBleakne (1), organic oatmeal w/ raisins and dried cranberries, and blueberry Greek yogurt.
- GaryG/Nancy (2), Nancy's chicken "enchilada" casserole :p , skim and chocolate milk, and orange juice.
- Sparky (1), bagels, lox ...
- 91040 and Mrs. 91040 (2), bowl of fruit.
- Boomer23 (1), caffeinated coffee and danish.
- Gene (1), homemade almond biscotti cookies.
- Steven (1), bagels, lox, and cream cheese.
- Jpv (2, plus two halves) ... muffins, scrambled eggs, 2% milk, hot cocoa.

Headcount so far: 12, plus 2 halves (baby goats - GaryG humor).

We're doubled-up on bagels and lox ... but I'm okay with that. You're welcome to switch, or not.

TY!
JP

"Once a Leafer, always a Leafer"

Thanks for opening up your very nice home for breakfast this morning JP!
Lots of good food and conversations with all those LEAFers and LEAF-grads.
Congrats on your beautiful new shiny beast in the garage.
-sparky

Thanks for hosting this great potluck breakfast.

It was fun, friendly, and filling, the three f's remaining as one ages.
We had enough food for at least another dozen people, and a lot
of good conversation. The two kids were mostly plugged into a
video game, where chopping one's way through floors and walls
was apparently "reality". They did play with the RGB light string
for a few minutes before going back to their "other reality".

The "shiny weighty" supprise was a brand new dark grey MS 70D
sitting in the garage, delivered just yesterday afternoon. So cool.

Jeanne and very nice family, THANK YOU, or TY in modern talk,
I presume. We love you all. Perhaps your kids will provide a concert?

I am checking with Tesla about how to order an accessory.
Cheers, Gary

Thank you Jeanne and Jamie for going the extra mile and hosting us at your lovely home thus morning. I had a great time and I know that all of the others share these same feelings.

And congratulations on your gorgeous new ride. Many happy miles ahead for the P-Vs!

I have started a new thread for our Sixth Year Gatherings:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20453

Jeanne and Jamie's hosting of the potluck breakfast was a
delightful, and perfect ending to our Fifth year of Gatherings.
Sincere thanks to both of you.

If you want any coaching on the use of your new MS 70D,
please just call me. Welcome to the Tesla family. I think
that yours makes the sixth in our group.

Gary, thanks for the reminder about the potluck. I would have liked to have attended. Given the distance and our general level of busyness lately, however, it was not to be. Thankfully, some of that busyness entails doing stuff with kids, as well as paying work activities that take me closer to my goal of a used Tesla purchase in some number of months.

In that vein, I recently had an opportunity to spend about 15 minutes driving another friend's Tesla S-85, my first time behind the wheel. The "regular" S has more than enough performance for me and I enjoyed the "Sport" setting for the steering. I thought I'd want a pano roof and air suspension, but I'm now inclined to not "need" those options. The ground clearance with regular suspension seemed fine. I was pleasantly surprised how much headroom I had in the driver's seat, given the appropriate seat settings. I'm now strongly inclined (as tbleakne earlier suggested to me) to not worry about getting AWD this time around, and instead appreciate the additional frunk space and cost savings of a 2WD car. My wife likes the idea of purchasing a used Model X with AWD a few years later (and thus owning two Teslas).

So, our ideal Model S will be a 2013 or later (not a really early build), must have the third row jumpseats, must have the 85 kWh battery, and may have some cosmetic damage. (Truthfully, I'd rather not be the first to scrape/scratch a given car, and we aren't exactly easy on cars.) I'd like dual chargers for road trips where Superchargers are less prevalent, but that's not an absolute requirement.

Big thanks to everyone who came to the anniversary breakfast potluck on Saturday, and shared their yummy goodies with the group. The conversation and the company were interesting and varied, as always.

It was an awesome way to round out the 5th year of this great SoCal Leaf-and-EV group! Big congratulations to GaryGid (master of all things) for holding the group together for all these years, and being King of the Hometown Buffet for round-about 120 breakfasts. Though I'm not able to attend the Saturday breakfasts all too often, there's always a nice family feeling that keeps me coming back for more.

Mr. 91040 happily charged up on L2. I found it most impressive that he is still pushing the envelope on his 2011 Gen 1 battery after 100k miles and 5 bcb's lost! I hope the Lizard Battery God shines on you before too long. You definitely deserve it.

Thank you, Ms. LeafyD for the beautiful and fragrant flowers and cuttings ... CA natives, I'm sure. Considering this is now our 2nd potluck with the group, I hope you felt at home and comfy ... GaryGid, Boomer23, TBleakne, LeafyD, 91040, Sparky, Gene and Steve.

I recall that two years ago when we had our first home breakfast potluck, we were all happy Leaf'ers ... maybe one Rav4EV(?). This time around, there were three Nissan Leafs (33.3%), four Telsa Model S's (44%), one BMW i3 +REx (11.1%), and one Rav4 EV (11.1%) present. Makes me wonder what will be another year from now. Any predictions? :cool:

Prediction #1 ... abasile will drive down with his 2013-2015 Model S.
Prediction #2 ... 91040 will have added (fingers crossed) a 30kwh lizard battery to his Brusa-charged Leaf.

The splendid potluck closes our 5th year of LEAF Gatherings.

So, we now move on to another thread for 6th year.
Please use: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20453

Thanks Everyone for helping me through some difficult times.
See you in the new thread.
Sincerely, Gary

Back