Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing more rare then HOV lanes in SFL is bike lanes, so if you are hoping to use them good luck. There is one nice advantage though and that is if you have the HOV sticker you can then apply for the 95 Express Hybrid Registration which will get you on the the 95 express lanes for free (the old HOV lanes). Nice advantage even though you will kill your range if you are trying to keep up with traffic. I actually fine that the slower pace in the normal lanes is a better idea when going to Miami to Ft Lauderdale and back.

http://www.95express.com/pages/usage-guidelines/who-can-use-95-express

Get one because you can. Cost nothing and might just come in handy one day. And congratulations on the Leaf! By chance did you get it form Offleaseonly.com? They have a bunch at a great price and they seem to be moving them.

Thank you for the quick reply, yes I bought it from offleaseonly at opa-locka. I didn't get online before buying the car and so did not knew about the battery issues blah blah blah... So the car has only 10 bars remaining, 27,456 miles and paid 8,999 I think is an SL model, not sure. It has camera,heated seats,navigation and LED headlights.

I'm extremely happy with the car, so happy that I am not using my "old car" anymore a 2014 Mini Cooper,the mini is a lease so once the lease is up I might get the i3. I think I will just stick with electric as long as I can

Offleaseonly may be putting more Leafs on the road in FL then Nissan right now. LOL

If you have the little solar panel on the rear wing and the level 3 charge port it is an SL. Don't worry about the battery it is really an overblown issue. Plus you just got a low mileage, 3-year-old, $30k car for 9k! That's a great deal.

Few tips. Get the Plug Share App and find the good level 3 chargers (mostly outside of Miami). I like to charge mine overnight to 100% from a regular wall socket. Don't bother getting a level 2 charger. And takes some trips in it to get a feel for how long the battery will last. For this, the trip mileage counter can be your friend. That and just enjoy what at the end of the day is just a great car.

I'm looking at a 2012 Leaf SL and am concerned about the battery losing capacity. I live in Polk County and we regularly see temps of 90-97 degrees during the summer months. Is the 6year/60,000 mile replacement (if the capacity drops below 9 bars) applicable if you purchase it used? Is there a way to tell if a dealer has reset the battery capacity meter to show 12 bars? Thanks for any help.

Its very difficult to tell is the BMS has been reset. I am in Martin County, and my 2012 is down to 69% capacity already. The capacity warranty is 5 years (60 months)/60,000 miles, and applies equally to a used Leaf, as long as the VIN hasn't been tagged for some reason. Its always good to have a Nissan service manage check the service report to make sure the capacity warranty is still in effect. He can also tell you the date the car was placed in service, so you will know when the 60 months started. Your best tool is the LeafSpy app, and expect to see at least a 15% reduction in capacity if its a Florida car. A used Leaf can be a great bargain if you are willing to wait out the degradation until a 4 bar loss.

Thanks Keydriver! I'll send the VIN over to a Nissan service center to get that info. How has your experience been so far? I drive 25 miles round trip per day on average and the Leaf looks like it will fit the bill. But occasionally I'll head into Orlando from Winter Haven and there's at least 3 quick chargers along the route. Obviously 7 months of the year require AC on almost all the time. How does your climate control usage effect your range?

I should note that I'm easing into EV with a used Leaf because I'm patiently waiting for the lower cost Tesla to come out. Wish I could afford the S but it's out of my league.

A 25 mile roundtrip commute should be easy. Even with 31% loss I can do 50 miles with A/C use. The biggest factor is speed. How fast do you need to drive for that commute? A/C definitely has a big impact in Florida, drawing close to 1 kW very often. So, if I'm cruising down Route 1 at 55 mph using 10 kW to power the motor, the A/C is adding almost 10% overhead, reducing my range almost 5 miles. But, the heater is an even bigger draw, so a 2012 with a resistive-type heater can really reduce your range in winter, depending how warm you like to be. Fortunately we don't need heat very often in Martin County, and I can usually get away with just the seat and steering wheel heaters.
BTW, my Tesla 70D will be here next week, so no more range anxiety for me! :D I'm keeping the Leaf for daily chores and short drives, just waiting for another 3% degradation so I can get a new battery.

Thanks for that info. It will certainly influence my decision. My commute really doesn't get over 45mph regularly and I'd definitely use the pre heating/AC. Congrats on the 70D! That's some serious EV engineering elegance.

I had my free battery swap at 3 years on my 2012 SL. It is like having new car! My commute is 25 miles also. The car was fine for the commute when the battery was depleted but it is nice to be able to go a bit further when necessary.

Thanks Spike09, I'm thinking that even if I go past the 2011-2012 battery extension the cost to replace it with a new one will be ~$5500 based on today's pricing, and maybe less in a few years. I'm still confused as to what the 8year 100,000 mile regular battery warranty covers.

From my understanding, the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty would cover you if an individual cell went bad, but not a general degradation of the entire pack. Originally the Leaf did not come with any warranty on capacity loss, as Nissan assumed that the packs would last for at least 5 years or more, so they only guaranteed it against defects in workmanship, etc. But, as a result of a class action suit, Nissan issued a 5 year/60,000 mile capacity warranty that gives you a new pack if your original pack goes below 9 bars, primarily due to heat damage to the entire pack, not an individual cell.

To the Miami crew,

So my car has been with the clicking sound lately see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12121&start=50

Also the right front suspension is acting up on me, sometimes whenever going thru speed bumps or rough road I hear like something is loose, or like a damaged control arm/suspension part. So I took my car to the Nissan autonation located on 8th street and 32nd. The Leaf tech test drove my car and was not able to reproduce any of the two sounds, then I took it all the way to Weston Nissan, this time I drove the car with the service advisor and wasn't able to reproduce any of the sounds! I felt so stupid, but the sounds are there. My warranty is expiring soon (November) so I want to have everything fixed before then

Can any of you guys recommend a more knowledgeable Leaf dealer?

Thank you

They are all hit and miss sometimes but the Auto Nation in Kendall, besides haveing a great Level 3 charger that WORKS, has been good to me. Also have some speed bumps in the lot to try out. Would also suggest you just tell them that you suspect this issue and have them check it out even if you can't reproduce it. It is a known issue with Nissans and someone should be familiar with it. Let us know your experience.

AutoNation Nissan Kendall
17305 S. Dixie Highway
Palmetto Bay, FL 33157

Cheers.

Anyone in Jax area running a Leaf Spy successfully? I tried a couple times and didn't get it working. Am at 3 bars down and expecting fourth loss in about a month. Would love to see exactly where I am.

fonsovelasco said:
Anybody in Miami going to this event next week? https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=388
Sounds fun. Anyone going to the ft. Laud event tomorrow?

LaudAle Drive Electric / Tesla Teat Drive - Sept 12
http://lauderale.co/upcoming-events/drive-electric-event-wholesome-rollers-food-truck/

spike09 said:
fonsovelasco said:
Anybody in Miami going to this event next week? https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=388
Sounds fun. Anyone going to the ft. Laud event tomorrow?

LaudAle Drive Electric 12-3pm / Tesla Test Drive 4-10pm on Sept 12
http://lauderale.co/upcoming-events/drive-electric-event-wholesome-rollers-food-truck/

The Drive Electric is a week long event. There are two more events happening next Saturday. One at Pinecrest Gardens from 11 to 3 and one at the Night Owl Market Street Festival in Ft. Lauderdale from 5 to 10.

I went to the LauderAle event today. It was nice. Mostly Teslas as it was a TMC event. Their were several pimped out Model S. Also saw a Ludicrous model

Everyone:

The City of Coral Gables has asked me to organize an electric vehicle show at the City's annual Big Toy Extravaganza this Saturday, January 9th from 10a.m. – 2p.m. My wife was in a fender-bender over the weekend and I cannot put my LEAF in the show, but I still need to get cars for the show. If you are available to display your LEAF (and/or other EV), please call me or email me at [email protected].

The time commitment would be about six hours. Set-up time is at 7:30a.m. – 8:30a.m. and break-down is at 2p.m. We will have a table there to display pictures or other items pertinent to EVs. There should be hundreds of people in attendance. I hope we can have a presence there.

Roy Wasson
(305) 519-8897.

Back