How To: Backup camera for S model with OE parts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can I do this to my 2012 leaf?

differences in instructions? what about using third party camera and trigger wire? I like the idea of using a dash cam if that is possible since I plan on installing a dash cam in the rear (and front) anyway. double up on function is ideal.

my stereo console is different

8mR9jXGl.jpg

nerys said:
can I do this to my 2012 leaf?

differences in instructions? what about using third party camera and trigger wire? I like the idea of using a dash cam if that is possible since I plan on installing a dash cam in the rear (and front) anyway. double up on function is ideal.

my stereo console is different

8mR9jXGl.jpg

Yup. You should be good to go. Is that an SV?

nerys said:
How do I tell what it is?

You are not sure what type of car you purchased?

Tell me the features you have, leather, quick charge, LED headlights, navigation etc and I should be able to tell you.

Nope. it was the only one they had and I could afford it. They were not "overly" knowledgeable about it. in fact it seemed I knew more about it than they did at times.

cloth seats (fantastic btw LOVE them) firm and comfy. (I am a big boy 6"4" 400 pounds)

no backup camera (I wish I do plan to add that) I just looked over my paperwork and it does not get specific about the "model" or "trim package" probably because its technically "used" not new (2012 but only 4800 miles)

Here are a bunch of pictures if it helps ?? would the vin help?

a1cAttXl.jpg

SLQgXW1l.jpg

f7HGOQul.jpg

VZCeF3Ol.jpg

4bsLO7Ml.jpg

Fo5rHRXl.jpg

YQ3w3yCl.jpg

wZ33cpQl.jpg

IaFABPGl.jpg

8mR9jXGl.jpg

I don't think it has quick charge. I have seen some cars with a much larger complicated connection LEFT Of the standard connection. I assume that is quick charge??

so I would say no.

I don't actually know what kind of headlights it has. I am 99% certain they are not LED. I would not think LED would consume that much power (pretty sizable spike in consumption when I turn them on)

they "look" like HID to me and appear to behave like HID (defined "cut off" in the illumination pattern like HID then again maybe LED has this too??). but I am not SURE on that. how do I confirm? can I see a difference in some way to confirm?

nerys said:
I don't think it has quick charge. I have seen some cars with a much larger complicated connection LEFT Of the standard connection. I assume that is quick charge??

so I would say no.

I don't actually know what kind of headlights it has. I am 99% certain they are not LED. I would not think LED would consume that much power (pretty sizable spike in consumption when I turn them on)

they "look" like HID to me and appear to behave like HID (defined "cut off" in the illumination pattern like HID then again maybe LED has this too??). but I am not SURE on that. how do I confirm? can I see a difference in some way to confirm?

They are indeed LED, it looks like you have the SV with the LED package, if you have navigation then you for sure have the SV, same as my car. Unless you have HID installed aftermarket you should be able to tell if you pop the hood and see the amps for them. The LEDs cut off like HIDs not because of the lights themselves but because of the housing which is called a projector housing so any lights installed in the housing would cut off like so.

Anyways i'm 6'3 240 and I fit in comfortably as well.

So once again if you have navigation yes you can install the back up cam which I just did a few weeks ago.

planet4ever said:
So ... how happy are you with the results? I just got an S with the charge package, and I am very disappointed in the backup camera. It is nowhere close to as good as what was in the 2011-2012 SL.
  • Of course the screen size is much smaller, but I knew that ahead of time.
  • The display is extremely dark. The only control I could find that might affect that was the radio display brightness and contrast. Turning those all the way up didn't seem to help.

Darn it. You just ruined my day. I guess that's why the 2011/2012 camera was/is $500 from the on-line retailers and the more recent one is only $200. So it looks like a 2013/14/15 camera would do me no better than the $20 Chinese one we're using in the Volt right now.

Just to let you know the camera parts you suggested for model S worked for my 2013 SL. It was a snap with your tips and got the Leaf up and running in no time at all. Plug and play works for all model across the board. Thanks for sharing. Simon.

I was just shopping online for the list of parts needed for my 2013 SL (non-premium). Just wanted to double check that no additional cables / wiring needed near the head unit and it's pretty much plug and play with the listed part numbers in the beginning of this thread?

I seem to recall some previous discussions on a different site that indicated the SL versions are missing some cables in the front...I'm guessing this is for the older models, or is it sort of random "which" 2013 SL has the preinstalled wiring?

Have prices gone up? I tried a few different sites and all are charging +$300 after shipping! (i'm guessing higher demand?)

Thanks.

I remember reading in the other backup camera thread from awhile back something about not having to run cables from the head unit to the hatch if you have an SL. Is this true on a 2013 SL? If that's the case would it just be a matter of adding the camera and the camera harness?

Those pictures are great. Thanks for the well documented forum.
I took the liberty of making a video of how to install a backup camera in a 2013 SV Nissan Leaf.
https://youtu.be/_MPUkloBr2A

kc7ekk, thank you for that awesome video!! With that inspiration and awesome directions, my boyfriend and I will be adding the camera to our new-to-us 2013 SV! I'm so excited!

I have a 2013 SL (non premium package) made april of '13 and it appears that i have all the needed harnesses except the Body to hatch harness: 24051-3NF0B (icurrently have the 3NF0C). The harness from kick panel to c-pillar has the 5 wires Black, yellow, black, white and red. I will order the 24051-3NF0C and update with results

Thank you for the video.
I have an 2013 SV and may do this when it gets a little warmer here in Kansas.

Your video says that the standard "0A" camera is no longer available. I think it has been replaced by the 284423NH1A camera if you do not want wide view from the 284423NH0B camera.

I did the install on a 2013 SL. It already had the needed Hatch Harness in place, camera connector and all! You only need to replace the Body-to-Hatch Harness (24051-3NF0B) as described by OP, replace the old hatch handle with the Camera Housing (90606-3NF?B), and mount & connect the Camera (newly renamed 28442-3NH2A) as described by OP (with 2x 01454-N5021 screws). That's all!

mwalsh said:
planet4ever said:
So ... how happy are you with the results? I just got an S with the charge package, and I am very disappointed in the backup camera. It is nowhere close to as good as what was in the 2011-2012 SL.
  • Of course the screen size is much smaller, but I knew that ahead of time.
  • The display is extremely dark. The only control I could find that might affect that was the radio display brightness and contrast. Turning those all the way up didn't seem to help.

Darn it. You just ruined my day. I guess that's why the 2011/2012 camera was/is $500 from the on-line retailers and the more recent one is only $200. So it looks like a 2013/14/15 camera would do me no better than the $20 Chinese one we're using in the Volt right now.

I put an aftermarket backup camera in my 2013 S, changed the radio to a bigger display model for $100. Much better than using the stock S radio.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010LFISKW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Back