Leaf Gen 2 concept headed for Tokyo show in October

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Mark your calendars. Leaf Gen 2 will be shown in concept form in next month's Tokyo auto show starting Oct 29th.

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/small-passenger/nissan/leaf/next-nissan-leaf-to-target-400km-53658

While the LEAF II concept will be the star of the Nissan stand in Tokyo this year,

Not just that. Nissan plans to show their LE and EV SUV (apparently as big as X) in 2017.

the company has plans to launch a Nissan-branded electric SUV, as well as an Infiniti-branded sedan that will employ the LEAF II's next-gen battery tech.

Our sources say both of those models will be shown in concept form for the first time at the 2017 Tokyo show.

Little is known about them but Motoring says the crossover will have "similar proportions" to the Tesla Model X. The Infiniti, on the other hand, would pick up where the ill-fated LE concept left off.

I might be also going to Tokyo Motor Show.

Haven't booked tickets yet but my trip is complicated by the desire to possibly visit "Battleship Island" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island) over near Nagasaki, which is WAY far away from Tokyo. Even by the fastest bullet train (Nozomi, which the Japan Rail Pass isn't valid on), it's at least 7.5 hours away, the last 2 hours on a slower train. By car (no way I'm driving in Japan), it's 13 hours 53 minutes per Google Maps (1236 km or ~768 miles).

The problem with concepts is that they rarely bear any resemblance to the actually released vehicle... So, Mheh...

evnow said:
Mark your calendars. Leaf Gen 2 will be shown in concept form in next month's Tokyo auto show starting Oct 29th.

mwalsh said:
Why the Infiniti LE pictures on that Australian site? There are renderings of what is suspected to be the 2017 LEAF out there. I must say, I do like those blue LED interior accents though!
Because the report also says LE & a large SUV EV will be revealed in 2017.

TomT said:
The problem with concepts is that they rarely bear any resemblance to the actually released vehicle... So, Mheh...

There are concept cars ... and then there are concept cars.

First (most well known) ones are purely ornamental and won't make it to production in the same shape. But "concept" cars like Bolt make it to production in near identical form (except for obvious auto show elements). My take is Leaf 2 being shown will be of latter category.

evnow said:

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/en/

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015/small-passenger/nissan/leaf/next-nissan-leaf-to-target-400km-53658

While the LEAF II concept will be the star of the Nissan stand in Tokyo this year, the company has plans to launch a Nissan-branded electric SUV, as well as an Infiniti-branded sedan that will employ the LEAF II's next-gen battery tech.

Our sources say both of those models will be shown in concept form for the first time at the 2017 Tokyo show.

Little is known about them but Motoring says the crossover will have "similar proportions" to the Tesla Model X. The Infiniti, on the other hand, would pick up where the ill-fated LE concept left off.

Is this a typo? Because you said "next month", but your quote says the 2017 Tokyo show. My calendar still shows 2015.

The report talks about 3 vehicles, confusingly.

- Leaf Gen 2 next month in 2015
- LE and SUV in 2017

ya, a world of difference between concept cars and early preview cars. There is NO doubt LEAF II is real and this Winter should well within a year of its release date. The Bladeglider is also likely a real car but its concept was released years in advance of its intro which only increases the likelihood the production model will not resemble the concept car at all

DaveinOlyWA said:
... The Bladeglider is also likely a real car but its concept was released years in advance of its intro which only increases the likelihood the production model will not resemble the concept car at all
After Andy Palmer left, the new Nissan guy was asked about the bladeglider. His response was that Nissan is going to focus on more mainstream cars.

DanCar said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
... The Bladeglider is also likely a real car but its concept was released years in advance of its intro which only increases the likelihood the production model will not resemble the concept car at all
After Andy Palmer left, the new Nissan guy was asked about the bladeglider. His response was that Nissan is going to focus on more mainstream cars.

Like the ES Flow (the electric Z if you will)? Well, I can dream, can't I?

GetOffYourGas said:
Like the ES Flow (the electric Z if you will)? Well, I can dream, can't I?
I'm dreaming of the e-nv200 with triple battery pack, 4 wheel drive and ludicrous mode. All for a Nissan price. haha

Here is my summary of the article:
2016 Leaf to be announced next year will have 148 mile range. What the article actually says is that current Leaf is 170 km range and will go up to 300 km, which is a 76% improvement. So with EPA range of current Leaf at 84 mile range that will take it to 148 miles.

For Gen 2 Leaf which is currently scheduled to be released in early 2017 it will have a range of 400 km and will eventually go up 500 km in a later year. In EPA miles that is 200 miles and 250 miles of range.

The Leaf 2, Nissan Rogue electric, and Infiniti LE are to be shown or discussed at Tokyo Motor show at end of October. All these vehicles are expected in 2017.

I bet they won't announce battery or range details until much closer to launch.

Will the SUV be plug-in or proper EV ?

I really hope Leaf II has a lot more power and RWD, the current leaf is retarded far too much when taking off from 0 mph.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ya, a world of difference between concept cars and early preview cars. There is NO doubt LEAF II is real and this Winter should well within a year of its release date. The Bladeglider is also likely a real car but its concept was released years in advance of its intro which only increases the likelihood the production model will not resemble the concept car at all
It makes sense that any LEAF II concept should closely resemble what will be delivered in early 2017. If not, they may not call the concept a "Leaf".

I think the Bladeglider appearance is going to seriously changed due to the whole DeltaWing / Panoz / Nissan Lawsuit. Which is a frickin' shame. I was excited about that car! It had EV midlife crisis written all over it. And much easier to explain to my wife than a 19 year-old mistress :)

Nissan teases a Future EV image, probabbly Leaf II Concept:
151023-01-01.jpg

Next week we will see more, i like it.

EVrevolution said:
151023-01-01.jpg

Further speculation:

...Nissan will be jumping on the driverless car bandwagon at the 2015 Tokyo Motor Show next month with a new autonomous electric car concept. It's expected to be a joint venture with Renault, and could also show what to expect from the next Leaf EV...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/93220/nissan-to-debut-autonomous-ev-concept-at-tokyo-motor-show

EVrevolution said:
151023-01-01.jpg

I like it too. Inside EVs wrote a piece up on this:
http://insideevs.com/nissan-taste-new-ev-ahead-2015-tokyo-motor-show/

Nissan Exec VP Trevor Mann said:
“There could be more than one Leaf. We’ve always said it needn’t be one car.”

I would certainly be interested in a smaller / sportier 2-door Leaf. As long as it can go 150-200 miles on a charge.

Back