2016 LEAF Specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
The LEAF is the best-selling 100-percent electric vehicle in the United States and it took a big leap forward for 2016, becoming the first affordable all-electric car to offer more than 100 miles of EPA-estimated range on a single charge.

Now standard on all 2016 Nissan LEAF SV and LEAF SL models, the new 30 kWh battery provides an EPA-estimated 107-mile driving range* on a fully charged battery. LEAF S models come with a 24 kWh battery rated at 84 miles on a full charge, giving buyers a choice in affordability and range.

In addition, the new battery offers improved charging performance. The battery in LEAF SV and SL can be quick-charged to 80 percent (from the low battery charge warning) in about 30 minutes, providing about 22 percent more miles of range compared to a 30-minute quick charge on previous LEAF models. Charging on a normal home charging system (Level 2, 240V) is estimated to take about six hours with the 6.6 kW onboard charger.

The new 30 kWh battery design adds capacity without increasing battery package size by improving the cell structure of the laminated lithium-ion battery cells. Improved electrode material with revised chemistry results in higher power density and enhanced battery durability upon charge and discharge.

While the 24 kWh battery is composed of four cells per module (192 cells total), the new 30 kWh battery’s modules contain eight newly designed cells per module (192 cells total). Unlike conventional cylindrical batteries, the thin, compact laminated cells offer more flexibility in packaging and design applications. The 30 kWh battery weighs just 46 pounds more than the 24 kWh battery and has the same battery pack size and footprint.

The 2016 Nissan LEAF has a starting price of $33,700 for the SV model and $36,790 for LEAF SL.

LEAF S models continue to be equipped with a 24 kWh battery with an EPA-estimated range of 84* miles. Starting price for 2016 Nissan LEAF S grade remains $29,010. All models qualify for federal tax incentives of $7500.
One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of stuff available for the the SV model in the past is no longer available for this 2016 model, at least if I go by the chart.

For example, my SV has the LED low beam headlights, automatic on/off headlights, fog lights, cargo area cover, rear heated seats, etc. Those are pushed to only the SL having these. I wonder why they weren't left as optional at least? Seems like a lot of creature comforts are forced to the SL model only now. :(

Given current discounts, the real cost of the extra 25% range is about $10k.

I suspect for vast majority of buyers it will be worth it.

What do you think?

knightmb said:
One thing that I have noticed is that a lot of stuff available for the the SV model in the past is no longer available for this 2016 model, at least if I go by the chart.

For example, my SV has the LED low beam headlights, automatic on/off headlights, fog lights, cargo area cover, rear heated seats, etc. Those are pushed to only the SL having these. I wonder why they weren't left as optional at least? Seems like a lot of creature comforts are forced to the SL model only now. :(

I noticed that too. The LED headlights are a vast improvement over the halogens. I see no mention of the heated steering wheel on any model--I wonder if that went away too or is just missing from the official specifications.

Press release shows heated steering wheel standard on SV and SL, not available on S. Shame the rear heated seats are gone on the S and SV.

Cargo cover is a dealer added option, at least that's how it was on the 2015.

NeilBlanchard said:
When will this be available? Did I miss seeing a date?

"The 2016 Nissan Leaf will be available at dealerships starting in October."

Not from an official source. Taken from -> http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1099894_2016-nissan-leaf-offers-107-mile-range-with-30-kwh-battery-leaf-s-unchanged

Inside EVs reports that Nissan's only official word is "2016 LEAF will go on sale later this fall"

http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-107-miles/

In the comments section of his article on greencarreports, John Voelcker says he asked about backward compatibility of the 30 kWh pack into older MY Leafs and a Nissan exec told him NO, but declined to give any specific reasons. IMO this is a huge PR blunder by Nissan and a real dissappointment. When my Leaf lease is up in 2 years I will almost certainly turn it in, would not even consider buying if Nissan refuses to SELL me a better battery down the road as the battery tech improves. Of course I will likely replace it with another EV, and by then there will be a number of 100 plus mile range affordable models from which to choose. In other words, Nissan refusing to make the bigger packs backward compatible is likely pushing me to buy another EV, but not another Nissan EV.

Valdemar said:
I'd say the biggest news here is longer capacity warranty for the 30kWh pack, which seems like an indirect acknowledgement that the 24kWh packs are still crap.

That is of concern for sure. Nissan are clearly not standing behind the Lizard Pack any more than the 2011 Pack. Maybe the early degradation numbers for the 2015's have them spooked.

Bufordleaf said:
In the comments section of his article on greencarreports, John Voelcker says he asked about backward compatibility of the 30 kWh pack into older MY Leafs and a Nissan exec told him NO, but declined to give any specific reasons. IMO this is a huge PR blunder by Nissan and a real dissappointment.

If that turns out to be true, and the end of the matter, I really am finished with Nissan. I will never buy a car from them again, EVER. They had a chance to do the smart thing, and offer the 30 kWh pack to use early adopters, even at a healthy profit to themselves, and it looks like they don't want bothered with it.

Also, did anyone else notice the wackiness with the quoted charge times for the 3.3 kW charger? Its listed as "4 hours" at 220 (240) volt, whereas the 6.6 kW charge time is listed as "5 hours" for the same 24 kWh battery. I think the 3.3 kW should be more like 8 hours.

keydiver said:
Bufordleaf said:
In the comments section of his article on greencarreports, John Voelcker says he asked about backward compatibility of the 30 kWh pack into older MY Leafs and a Nissan exec told him NO, but declined to give any specific reasons. IMO this is a huge PR blunder by Nissan and a real dissappointment.

If that turns out to be true, and the end of the matter, I really am finished with Nissan. I will never buy a car from them again, EVER. They had a chance to do the smart thing, and offer the 30 kWh pack to use early adopters, even at a healthy profit to themselves, and it looks like they don't want bothered with it.

This is a huge disappointment for sure, but I think we need to put it in perspective.

Other than Tesla, I'm not sure any of the OEM's have the mindset of upgrading their product after it is sold. (Save for recalls they are forced into) You can get pissed at Nissan and buy another brand EV but they will probably have the same mindset. Another reason to buy Model 3 when it comes out (eventually).

FYP.
DuncanCunningham said:
I notice that the 6.6kw charger is not on the model S, only 3.3kw, unless I've read it wrong?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=394229#p394229

Please used the correct units. You meant kW, not kWh. I'm not sure where the 200 volts came from. We don't use that voltage in the US.

JPWhite said:
keydiver said:
Bufordleaf said:

This is a huge disappointment for sure, but I think we need to put it in perspective.

Other than Tesla, I'm not sure any of the OEM's have the mindset of upgrading their product after it is sold. (Save for recalls they are forced into) You can get pissed at Nissan and buy another brand EV but they will probably have the same mindset. Another reason to buy Model 3 when it comes out (eventually).
Agree. Like most things automotive, "upgrades" are in the purview of inventive enthusiast owners and aftermarket companies. When Toyota had the 4.7l in the Tundra, and then during a mid model refresh upgraded to the more modern 4.6l, they did not offer to upgrade older Tundras. I wouldn't expect things to be much different with the Leaf. I do hope an enthusiast and/or aftermarket company comes up with a way to adapt the 30kw battery to older Leafs.

JPWhite said:
Other than Tesla, I'm not sure any of the OEM's have the mindset of upgrading their product after it is sold. (Save for recalls they are forced into) You can get pissed at Nissan and buy another brand EV but they will probably have the same mindset.
Depends on what you mean... many automakers including Nissan have offered "aftermarket" upgrade parts (e.g. Nismo for Nissan, TRD for Toyota, etc.) for years.

Examples:
http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/nismo_parts/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nismo claims it began in 1984
http://www.trdusa.com/parts.html
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/10/17/finally-trd-officially-offers-supercharger-for-scion-tc/
http://www.scion.com/scionracing/7675/cars/tc/scion-trd-performance-parts-at-the-all-new-trdusa-com/

Can you guys please get the units right? kW for charger wattage. kWh for battery capacity and energy dispensed from the "wall".

BTW, the Leaf already has an 80 kW motor. 80 kW = ~107 horsepower

keydiver said:
Well, you think it is a smart thing - but who knows, what it entailes ?

If Nissan had to spend x dollars to make the pack backward compatible - would they get back that money from actual upgrades and any goodwill ?

As early adopters we always assume things that help us are smart things to do. May be not so.

I personally think it makes little difference as # of people who would upgrade is small.

Now, if Nissan can make the Gen 2 battery backward compatible, that might be worth it.

Comment thread over here says "A local 2011 owner here in Phoenix has a firm quote to do the 30 kWh battery swap out in his LEAF. We’ll see if it really gets completed pretty soon. The dealer was able to order the 30 K battery…" Others in the thread speculate the dealer is not going to be able to actually install it because of Nissan making it purposely incompatible, but we'll see.

I just called the most Leaf friendly of our local Nissan dealers and the guy claims the 2016 Leafs haven't even started production yet and won't be available till next year. That's either a lie or ignorance because the thread I pointed to above says they've been in production for a few months and will likely be available in some areas by the end of September with a bigger availability in mid October. He then tried to coax me in to buy a 2015 Leaf but at least he wasn't super pushy... I really need the extra range on the 2016 SV.

One really good feature they could also have added would be active cruise control.

A power upgrade would be nice too, I'm sure the leaf is limited by a good margin. They certainly have it limited on take off too much.

Back