Winter or All Season Tires with LRR?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeMonkey

I live in Salt Lake City, where we get snowy and icy conditions most the winter. With previous vehicles I've bought dedicated snow tires. But, I commute 50 miles a day, and, with the occasional errands, I don't have a lot of range to spare.

Also, I'm leasing the leaf for 3 years, and I know how crappy the stock tires are. So, in a perfect world, I'd love LRR snow tires that I could run year round, and return the Leaf with the barely used (and crappy) stock tires.
I've googled a bit, and found some references to the Michelin X-Ice and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. I put together a comparison , but, there's no mention of LRR. So, I'm not sure how good or bad any of those are.

I have found no way to search for "efficient" and "winter"

So, the question(s) are pretty simple:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good LRR winter tire that won't completely shred if used year round for about 40k miles.
  2. If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a good LRR all season tire that is really good on ice and snow?
  3. And, finally, if all else fails, does anyone have a recommendation on a good LRR tire for winter only, and I'll swap them.
  4. Oh, and a final, almost unrelated question: Could I just put two winter tires up front? Remember, since I'm leasing, the tires I buy will likely be "throw away" in 2.5 years.

Thanks in advance!

The Hakka R2 are possibly the lowest rolling resistance tires made - of any kind. They are that good. I used them on our Leaf S last winter.

I had the first gen Michelin X-Ice in the past, and they are also low rolling resistance.

I will be trying the Nokian WRG3's on our e-Golf.

The Pirelli Carving Edge studdable snow tires I use are loud and are mediocre without studs, but they do seem to be either LRR or close to it. The M/KWR efficiency only drops 0.1-0.2 with them on.

NeilBlanchard said:
The Hakka R2 are possibly the lowest rolling resistance tires made - of any kind. They are that good. I used them on our Leaf S last winter.

I had the first gen Michelin X-Ice in the past, and they are also low rolling resistance.

I will be trying the Nokian WRG3's on our e-Golf.

This is awesome. I would not have thought that great grip and LRR would go together, but there you have it! I have used Blizzaks on my AWD Suzuki SX4 for 5 years now, and have been very happy, but might have to give these a try!

We run Blizzacks in winter, Nov-May. I have had Nokian in the past and regret not sticking with them. I would say the difference in traction from summers to Blizzacks and then Blizzacks to Nokian's is about the same step. you would swear the Nokian's had studs in them :)

On our TDI we get better mileage in winter with the Nokian R2's on that the Brigstone summers, I would believe the Nokian's have a lower rolling resistance than the Brigstone Turanza Serenity ...

But Anyway, we notice about a .2 drop with the Blizzacks on over the stock Eco's, but the traction is than worth it.

In my experience, no one makes a better winter tire than Nokian, including the Blizzak line. I've only used their studded Hakkas and emailed them recently asking about what to use for my new leaf given I want LRR and I drive on steep mountain roads. They suggested sticking with the Hakka 8 studded and said the difference in RR between the two is not that great. If you don't drive on steep roads often I'd go with the R2's, otherwise, check out the 8's.

Nokian video with R1 vs unnamed eco summer tire. From what I understand, the R2 was a 5% improvement in RR over the R1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk865xIYn9w

Does anyone have experience with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3? I'm considering purchasing a set, as they get good reviews in general and they are supposed to be LRR tires. However, feedback from EV drivers would give me more peace of mind, they are a bit pricey so I don't want to make a mistake...

I have tried many brands, Cooper North's, Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin x-ice and Nokians. I would say without question the Nokian's were the best in just about every way. The x-ice were really good, then the Blizzaks and finally the Norths. Also the Nokians actually seemed like better rolling resistance wise than the x-ice.

Of course this is my opinion, but I have gone through at least 3 sets of each with the exception of the North, which was once was enough.

Having said that any of them is a 4 times improvement in handling over all season tires and 8 times that of summer tires. Can you tell I like snow tires :)

LOL, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll place an order for some Hakkapeliitta R3s. The name alone is a good selling feature, kind of fun :)

Back