lowjumpingfrog
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2015

Checking the Goods

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:27 pm

I just bought a used 2015 Trim S from a local Honda dealer. Naturally, the dealer did not have much of an idea of what they were selling. After reading this forum for a few hours it has brought up some questions that I feel I need to find answers for.

The car does not have the quick charge port so does that mean the charger in the car is a 3.3kWh? How can I determine this?

How do I know if the heating is provided by resistive, heat pump or hybrid?

The car does have Carwings and Nav (option?) I created an account with Nissan Connect but, the app is not terribly helpful and AT&T service is poor in my neighborhood.
I've got an ODBII reader on order and Leaf Spy on my phone, this will probably not be of any use answering these questions but, it seem useful to get battery info.
My first trickle charge took 18 hours. This will not really fit into my life style so a level 2 charger is going to be necessary. Should I future proof and get a 10kW EVSE or just get what I need depending on the charger that is onboard?
I realize the are totally noob questions so I appreciate the folks that take the time to get me started on my EV adventure.
Cheers!

GerryAZ
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011

Re: Checking the Goods

Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:39 pm

If the car is a 2015 model, has the navigation system and CarWings, and does not have the quick charge port, it must be an SV. Heat pump (hybrid) HVAC system and 6 kW onboard charger were standard features on the 2015 SV.

Nissan converted the car interface from CarWings to Nissan Connect EV in September and there have been problems. That may be why you cannot get connected (there is a thread under Range/Efficiency/CarWings). Also, the used car was probably registered in CarWings by the previous owner so you may need to call Customer Service for assistance in getting the system registered to you.

If you need to install a new circuit to your garage for the L2 EVSE, I suggest you size the wires large enough for a future upgrade, but install either a 30-ampere (requires a 40-ampere circuit breaker) or 40-ampere (requires a 50-ampere circuit breaker) EVSE now to take advantage of your 6 kW charger and minimize your expense.

Enjoy your new ride,
Gerry
Gerry
Silver LEAF 2011 SL rear ended (totaled) by in-attentive driver 1/4/2015 at 50,422 miles
Silver LEAF 2015 SL purchased 2/7/2015; traded 8/10/2019 at 82,436 miles
White LEAF 2019 SL+ purchased 8/10/2019

Arlington
Delivery Date: 29 Oct 2015
Leaf Number: 414434

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:11 pm

lowjumpingfrog wrote:The car does not have the quick charge port so does that mean the charger in the car is a 3.3kWh? How can I determine this?
I'd suggest finding a public charger and seeing if it reports its charging speed. Either that or time how fast it charges vs the dashboard's predictions of how fast it'd charge at various levels (or, wait, it should show charging-time numbers for 6.6 if it can do 6.6)

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 pm

lowjumpingfrog wrote:I just bought a used 2015 Trim S from a local Honda dealer. Naturally, the dealer did not have much of an idea of what they were selling. After reading this forum for a few hours it has brought up some questions that I feel I need to find answers for.

The car does not have the quick charge port so does that mean the charger in the car is a 3.3kWh? How can I determine this?

How do I know if the heating is provided by resistive, heat pump or hybrid?

The car does have Carwings and Nav (option?) I created an account with Nissan Connect but, the app is not terribly helpful and AT&T service is poor in my neighborhood.
(Everything below is supposed to apply to 2013-2015 Leafs. '11 and '12 equipment levels, colors, etc. were different.)
Your post is confusing. The S trim does NOT have nav. The S trim has dull plastics around the center stack and knobs on the stereo and HVAC. It looks like http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads ... terior.jpg (hope this works for you).

The S trim has no cellular radio and thus cannot have Carwings nor Nissan Connect.

The specs tab of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/ ... -press-kit may help.

If it DOES have nav, a touchscreen, shiny plastics around the HVAC stack and NO knobs in the center stack, it could be an SV or SL. S and SV are available in black cloth interior only. SV is available in black or light cloth interior. SL is only available w/black leather.

If it's an S w/no CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port) on the left, it only has the 3.x kW OBC (NOT kWh). S trim only has resistive heater.

All 2013-2015 SV and SL have 6.x kW OBC and a hybrid heater.

http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/0 ... s-changed/ features a 2013 SL (and thus w/CHAdeMO inlet) w/premium package. The HVAC stack, shiny plastics, etc. there are the same on the SV as the SL.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:31 pm

You probably have a Base version of the SV. Hopefully you do, because that will still have the heat pump and Nav system, plus the 6.6kw charger. None of the S model cars have the heat pump.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:You probably have a Base version of the SV. Hopefully you do, because that will still have the heat pump and Nav system, plus the 6.6kw charger. None of the S model cars have the heat pump.
Yep. And on (2013-2015) SV and SL trims, the presence or lack of CHAdeMO inlet had nothing to do w/3.x vs. 6.x kW OBC. It was 6.x kW OBC, regardless.

On 2013-2015 S, the only way to get 6.x kW OBC was w/the "charge package" that also added the CHAdeMO inlet.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Graffi
Delivery Date: 06 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414757

Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:42 pm

If you let us know where you live there may be another Leafer in your area that can get together with you and check it out for you. If you were in the San Diego, CA area I would be happy to plug in my LeafDD to find out what we can, and also show you around the Leaf. Congrats on your new way of driving.
2013 SL Metalic Slate - We LOVE our Leaf
MFG 08/13 Dlv 09/06/13 @ 10 mi
# 77 100 mile club
# 10 200 km club

2017 Tesla S 75D Pearl White
Delivered 5/16/17 @ 900 mi
Tesla Model 3 on order awaiting 200+ mile range Nissan Leaf

lowjumpingfrog
Delivery Date: 22 Nov 2015

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Wow, thanks everyone. So it sounds like the Honda dealer did not know or was told the wrong trim level on this Leaf. It does do Nissan Connect, aka Carwings, has XM radio (which the previous owner has not discontinued yet), and something that pretends to be a nav system. The dash charging display does show times for charging with 3.3kW, 6.6kW and 120, so it sounds like it does have a 6.6kW OBC? (thanks for the correction) I'll go to costco tomorrow, they have some chargepoint chargers there. I am in Salt Lake. This car is freaking incredible.
I did convert the previous owners Carwings account to Nissan Connect. The tech support person who helped me do this was awesome. Took all of 5 minutes.
Love driving it, despite running the battery down to nothing on the way home from the dealer. Thanks for the help from everyone. As I get more experience with this car I'll try not to be such a NOOB on this forum.
Does anyone know if there is some sort of look up service based on VIN to determine the unknowns?
Cheers

knightmb
Delivery Date: 15 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 414897

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 pm

That hopefully means you got a SV for the price of a the S trim, good luck actually! :D
2013 Leaf SV

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Yes, there is virtually no chance (barring some serious first owner modifications) that you have an S. It isn't even a Base SV. You have an SV with Premium Package but no Charge Package, much like mine. You really lucked out.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “New Members & Newbie Questions”