willk55
Delivery Date: 24 Nov 2012

Re: Official BMW i3 thread

Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:22 pm

My 2012 Leaf lease is up in a few months. I test drove the i3 Rex today and really loved it. I have a couple of questions.
-How would this do driving from Roseville to Reno (in good weather and dry roads)?
-How would insurance costs be vs. the Leaf since the i3 has the carbon fiber body?
-Any advantage to waiting for the 2016 model? Will it have blind spot monitoring (those side mirrors are really small)?
Thanks

Valdemar
Delivery Date: 09 Sep 2011

Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:31 pm

willk55 wrote:My 2012 Leaf lease is up in a few months. I test drove the i3 Rex today and really loved it. I have a couple of questions.
-How would this do driving from Roseville to Reno (in good weather and dry roads)?
-How would insurance costs be vs. the Leaf since the i3 has the carbon fiber body?
-Any advantage to waiting for the 2016 model? Will it have blind spot monitoring (those side mirrors are really small)?
Thanks
i3 may get a bigger battery next year. Can you extend your lease?

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/22/bmw-i ... w-battery/
'11 SL, totaled
-1CB@33k/21mo, -2CB@53k/33mo, -3CB@68k/41mo, -4CB(41.5AHr)@79k/49mo, -5CB(38.85AHr)@87.5k/54mo
-0CB(66.14AHr)@87.5k/54mo (BBB), -1CB(53.92Ahr)@140k/29mo,
51.1AHr, SOH 80%, 150k miles

9kW Solar

redLEAF
Delivery Date: 23 Dec 2011

Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:04 pm

willk55 wrote:My 2012 Leaf lease is up in a few months. I test drove the i3 Rex today and really loved it. I have a couple of questions.
Thanks
Can't answer any of these specifically but for #2 I would call your auto insurance agent; at least initially it may be about the same but insurance did go up on the LEAF once a few claims on repairing it are filed nationally; my '12 LEAF comprehensive coverage costs more than a much more expensive '13 VW Touareg but the VW doesn't have all the special electronics and battery pack, etc. that might need fixing.

As to the i3 itself, had a chance to drive one and they are indeed fun to drive; a little short on cargo space and those rear suicide doors may become a bit tiresome for anyone that needs to get in the back seat but the fit and finish and interior materials used (loved the bamboo dash) do set it apart from a LEAF but you are paying for it!
2018 smart ED Brabus (leased)
Sapphire Blue Metallic
2017 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD; FSD; 19" sport wheels
Red Multi-coat
2015 VW e-Golf LE (traded-in for Model 3)
2012 Nissan LEAF SL (traded-in at 5 yrs; 46K miles)
EVSE: 10/07/11 Schneider EVlink

GRA

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:32 pm

-How would this do driving from Roseville to Reno (in good weather and dry roads)? <snip>

Thanks
You might be okay, although you'd probably need to stop once en route for gas. Doing both the 'hold mode' (retains 75% of battery capacity) and 'gas tank usable volume' (from 1.9 allowed to 2.4 gal.) hacks would give you more options and make things easier. See http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/search/label/hold%20mode
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:07 pm

GRA wrote:
-How would this do driving from Roseville to Reno (in good weather and dry roads)? <snip>

Thanks
You might be okay, although you'd probably need to stop once en route for gas. Doing both the 'hold mode' (retains 75% of battery capacity) and 'gas tank usable volume' (from 1.9 allowed to 2.4 gal.) hacks would give you more options and make things easier. See http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/search/label/hold%20mode
Correction: The hold mode hack will be mandatory for you to go up hwy 80 to Reno. There was a fella on the i3 facebook group that hit the low power mode going up 50... he ended up going 35 mph up the hills! :shock: Granted 50 is a bit steeper than 80, but still. The ICE range extender simply doesn't have enough power on its own to push the car up a mountain. It is NOT like a Volt in that respect. You will have to code the car so that you can pull from both the pack and the ICE to maintain safe highway speeds.

Honestly I would wait for next years model. There's been a lot of quality issues with these cars and the current model battery is going to seem comically small in just a few years.
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Former Fit EV leasee.
Now driving Spark EV and Model 3.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:14 am

JeremyW wrote:
GRA wrote:

Thanks
Correction: The hold mode hack will be mandatory for you to go up hwy 80 to Reno. There was a fella on the i3 facebook group that hit the low power mode going up 50... he ended up going 35 mph up the hills! :shock: Granted 50 is a bit steeper than 80, but still. The ICE range extender simply doesn't have enough power on its own to push the car up a mountain. It is NOT like a Volt in that respect. You will have to code the car so that you can pull from both the pack and the ICE to maintain safe highway speeds.
There's been a lot of quality issues with these cars...
Yep on all of the above. The i3 REx looks pretty darn unreliable and for whatever reason, i3's when in the "spa" spend quite a bit of needless time there waiting for parts, for some weird reason.

One has to wonder what's going on w/BMW repair parts supply chain. Are the folks there just oblivious, asleep at the wheel or just unwilling to have sufficient supply of parts on hand at depots near dealers?

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:38 am

JeremyW wrote:
GRA wrote:

Thanks

Honestly I would wait for next years model. There's been a lot of quality issues with these cars and the current model battery is going to seem comically small in just a few years.
The extended battery is rumored to be released for the 2017 or later model. No firm information whether that is fact yet. Certainly not coming out early to mid next year.

There have been some issues with the i3 from early production, but if you visit the i3 forum, you will notice that the number of problems has dropped away. I'm not in the US, but my 2014 delivered i3 (BEV, not REX) has only had a recall for the KLE issue which would not effect current stock. Zero issues. The car is everything I had hoped for, and some. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

BTW, the timber on the dash is Eucalypt, not Bamboo. :)
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

GRA

Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:10 pm

JeremyW wrote:
GRA wrote:
willk55 wrote: <snip>

Thanks
Correction: The hold mode hack will be mandatory for you to go up hwy 80 to Reno. There was a fella on the i3 facebook group that hit the low power mode going up 50... he ended up going 35 mph up the hills! :shock: Granted 50 is a bit steeper than 80, but still. The ICE range extender simply doesn't have enough power on its own to push the car up a mountain. It is NOT like a Volt in that respect. You will have to code the car so that you can pull from both the pack and the ICE to maintain safe highway speeds. <snip>
I'm not sure that the 'hold mode' hack will be essential from Roseville to Reno, and shouldn't be needed going the other direction. It's 74.5 miles and about 7,085 feet of net gain from Roseville to Donner Summit on I-80, but there's a truck climbing lane (typ. 35-45 mph) for much of the way, so it may be possible to make it on the battery to the Summit (no heater use). When all the side roads (U.S. 40 etc.) are open (spring through fall), I expect you could make it even easier, and from either Donner Summit or Donner Pass it's about 41 miles downhill to Reno, which can be done on the REx. Coming the other way, you should be able to make the ~2,700' climb from Reno to the Summit on the battery, maybe taking it a bit slow (55 or 60). So, while you couldn't do it at the I-80 speed limit going east up hill, it may well be possible to do it it with some inconvenience. Having the hold mode and maybe the larger usable tank capacity makes the trip easier, and certainly if this trip would be one done fairly often, at least the 'hold mode' hack is recommended; if you're doing that one you might as well do the tank hack at the same time, as there's no down side.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:49 am

Beleaf wrote: There have been some issues with the i3 from early production, but if you visit the i3 forum, you will notice that the number of problems has dropped away. I'm not in the US, but my 2014 delivered i3 (BEV, not REX) has only had a recall for the KLE issue which would not effect current stock. Zero issues. The car is everything I had hoped for, and some. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.
I don't hang out on mybmwi3.com much (no time) but although it seems the problem reports have definitely fallen off in frequency on the BMW i3 Facebook group, they definitely still continue, esp. on the REx version.

Before, it used to be at least once a day on average where there was a new problem report (e.g. drivetrain malfunction, check engine light, failure that required a flatbed truck, restraint system malfunction, etc.)

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Beleaf
Delivery Date: 11 Jul 2012

Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:07 am

cwerdna wrote:
Beleaf wrote: There have been some issues with the i3 from early production, but if you visit the i3 forum, you will notice that the number of problems has dropped away. I'm not in the US, but my 2014 delivered i3 (BEV, not REX) has only had a recall for the KLE issue which would not effect current stock. Zero issues. The car is everything I had hoped for, and some. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.
I don't hang out on mybmwi3.com much (no time) but although it seems the problem reports have definitely fallen off in frequency on the BMW i3 Facebook group, they definitely still continue, esp. on the REx version.

Before, it used to be at least once a day on average where there was a new problem report (e.g. drivetrain malfunction, check engine light, failure that required a flatbed truck, restraint system malfunction, etc.)
Yes, definitely the problem reports have dropped off significantly, and also yes, the REX has had way more reports than the BEV.
Regards from Australia!

Silver Nissan Leaf Reserved: May 2012; Cancelled: July 2012.
Iconic Silver BMW i3 (BEV) Delivered Dec 4, 2014.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”