Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully, many more details on the ioniq will be available next week.

If top speed matters to you, looks like the ioniq will beat any other BEV available for under ~$75k.

Hyundai will unveil all the members—hybrid, plug-in hybrid, and battery-electric—of its IONIQ range at the Geneva Motor Show next week....

The IONIQ Electric features a 28 kWh lithium-ion-polymer battery for an estimated range of more than 250 km (155 miles). The 295 N·m (218 lb-ft) of torque is delivered by the electric motor with maximum output of 88 kW (118 hp) through a single-speed reducer transmission accelerating the car up to 165 km/h (103 mph)...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/02/20160224-ioniq.html

Video preview on all three versions below.

I prefer the no-grill look of the BEV version myself. It even has a decent front license plate location, which the LEAF does not.

Looks to me like the BEV charge port door is not located in one wrong location, the left front fender where it is on the PHEV.

I hope both charge ports (or one, if CCS) are under that big emblem on the nose, the single correct location for any BEV, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_nQCcvFEsU

evnow said:
Not so long ago we heard from Europe that the Hyundai IONIQ could have up to 155 miles/250 km of range, not so long ago we heard from Hyundai that this next generation of all-electric vehicle would be special.

As it turns out, the Hyundai Electric (new name) is neither of those things…and we are more than a bit disappointed. . . .
Indeed.

I was thinking if Ioniq had 150 miles of range, I'd prefer that over Bolt, for eg. Not to be. It is just Soul EV in a newer body.

For 2016/17 it is a Fail. Too Little Too Late.

Afterall they are trying to answer Prius after nearly 2 decades - so shouldn't be surprising. OTOH, they should be able to get good deals from LG, so it is surprising.

Anyone have any insights on the relationship among various chaebols of Korea ?

I think it's too early to declare that without pricing. If they can come in around $27,500 then I think it can fill a niche lost by those chasing 200 miles at $35k+.

Hyundai still says this is a 155 mile EV. (cough)bullshit(/cough)

Per their press release:
"The IONIQ Electric offers pure e-mobility through a 28 kWh Lithium-ion Polymer battery for an estimated range of over 250 km (155 miles)."

That would be very optimistic even on Japan's test cycle.

Reference: http://insideevs.com/hyundai-to-present-whole-ioniq-line-up-at-geneva-motor-show/

edatoakrun said:
Looks to me like the BEV charge port door is not located in one wrong location, the left front fender where it is on the PHEV.

I hope both charge ports (or one, if CCS) are under that big emblem on the nose, the single correct location for any BEV, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_nQCcvFEsU

In the video if you pause the frame just before the coupler connects you can see the CCS cap below the Mennekes inlet.

The video pretty clearly shows that the charge port on the BEV is driver side rear, like a Model S. Not my favorite location; my preference is the GM/Ford spot.

aarond12 said:
Hyundai still says this is a 155 mile EV. (cough)bullshit(/cough)

Per their press release:
"The IONIQ Electric offers pure e-mobility through a 28 kWh Lithium-ion Polymer battery for an estimated range of over 250 km (155 miles)."

That would be very optimistic even on Japan's test cycle.

Reference: http://insideevs.com/hyundai-to-present-whole-ioniq-line-up-at-geneva-motor-show/

Note that the language in the press release is pretty clearly intended for a non-US market. They may have to advertise the stupid NEDC numbers by law much like manufacturers in the US are only allowed to advertise EPA estimates.

I expect the Ioniq BEV to be a 110 mile EPA car, tops.

I'd take a guess that it will be at least 10% more efficient than the leaf with a 30kWh battery and if the kia is 28 usable I'd say that 120 miles EPA would be a good guess.

Long article with photos and videos gives comprehensive view of the Geneva Motor Show reveal.

Only news I see on the BEV, is that it might allow charging at rates > 2C .

...Charging the IONIQ Electric’s lithium-ion polymer battery up to 80% only takes 24 minutes using a 100kW fast charger...
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-ioniq-electric-ioniq-plug-in-at-the-geneva-motor-show-photos-videos/

If it does use CCS DC charging in the USA as some have speculated, it may be almost as frustrating for Ioniq owners, as for Bolt owners, to find their DC charging limited by the ~24 kW chargers BMW and ChargePoint are now installing.

Remember, Kia rates the ~30.5 kWh Soul EV at only 93 miles EPA, apparently due to averaging range from the "80%" and "100%" charge settings.

So, exactly what this statement means re available capacity and range is still unclear, IMO.

Hyundai plans multiple versions of Ioniq hybrid

EV version includes adjustable regenerative braking, eco-routing

...The Ioniq Electric is expected to achieve a fully charged range of 110 miles in the United States, said Kim Choong, an engineer working on the car’s range and energy use...
https://www.autonews.com/article/20160318/OEM04/160319863/hyundai-plans-multiple-versions-of-ioniq-hybrid

Korean version uses CHAdeMO DC:

http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=410

USA...?

minispeed said:
110 miles EPA range, only 3 more than the 2016 leaf. Hopefully they seriously undercut it on price.
I believe $35k or so.

Expect this to sell in compliance car numbers once Bolt, Leaf 2 become available.

The prices and trim levels of the Hyundai Ioniq BEV for the UK market were published:

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

There are only two trim levels for the BEV, which is called Electric, and no extra options or packages except for metallic paint.

The IONIQ Electric Premium has a recommended road price of £28,995.00.
The IONIQ Electric Premium SE has a recommended road price of £30,795.00.

Even the lower trim level, Premium, has so much more equipment, in comparison to the Nissan Leaf.

It has, among other things:
- Driver’s Seat Lumbar Support (Electric)
- Smart Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go function
- Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)
- Rear Parking Sensors with Camera and Guidance System
- Automatic Headlights with Dusk Sensor
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Individual Tyre Pressure Display
- 2 USB ports: Front Row USB Port, and Drivers Armrest USB Port –Charge Only
- Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
- Regenerative Brake Shift Paddles
- Wireless Phone Charging

Then the top trim level, Premium SE, adds, among other things:
- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
- Driver Power Seat with Integrated Memory System
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD)
- Front Park Sensors
- Window Defogger

Even in it's highest trim, SL, all of these seem to be things the 2016 Nissan Leaf does not have.

So the Ioniq Electric will bring some strong competition to the EV field... :)

Newbie said:
The prices and trim levels of the Hyundai Ioniq BEV for the UK market were published:

https://www.hyundaipressoffice.co.uk/release/783/

There are only two trim levels for the BEV, which is called Electric, and no extra options or packages except for metallic paint.

The IONIQ Electric Premium has a recommended road price of £28,995.00.
The IONIQ Electric Premium SE has a recommended road price of £30,795.00.

Even in it's highest trim, SL, all of these seem to be things the 2016 Nissan Leaf does not have.

So the Ioniq Electric will bring some strong competition to the EV field... :)

Appears to have a lot of bells & whistles but will be curious on fit & finish as well as what the quality level of the materials they use -- of course it was an economy line but having rented other Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the past, lots of hard plastic in use will detract from its appeal (of course this is no Equus 'luxury' sedan but still ...) -- not a real distinctive looking car but appears they are getting more serious on EV's

redLEAF said:
Appears to have a lot of bells & whistles but will be curious on fit & finish as well as what the quality level of the materials they use -- of course it was an economy line but having rented other Hyundai's (and Kia's) in the past, lots of hard plastic in use will detract from its appeal (of course this is no Equus 'luxury' sedan but still ...) -- not a real distinctive looking car but appears they are getting more serious on EV's

Me personally, just have to say, I love some of those bells and whistles. I am in a situation that I need a car now, so I am just about to lease a 2016 Leaf SV. And I would not mind if the Leaf had those features.

If I look through that list:

- Driver’s Seat Lumbar Support (Electric)
That's really good for your back, if you spend a lot of time in the car.

- Smart Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Go function
That is very practical, f.e. when having to deal with lots of stop and go traffic.
Even the so eagerly awaited Chevy Bolt is not going to have Adaptive Cruise Control...

- Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
Me personally, I think it would be great if passangers also could sit comfortably, by being able to adjust the seat in more ways.

- Regenerative Brake Shift Paddles
That looks like something the Leaf also does not have now, it's just B mode or no B mode. Stronger regen is not possible.

- Wireless Phone Charging
I wish the Leaf had that now. My phone has wireless charging, and it would be great to do away with the cable clutter.

- Heated and Ventilated Front Seats
Me personally, I think that ventilated seats are absolutely a premium feature. I doubt the Chevy Bolt or next-gen Leaf will have that.

- Window Defogger
If that is the windshield heat wires that the VW e-Golf has, I think that is so practical. No need to have the AC on full blast on rainy days, just to keep the windshield clear.

If the Ioniq was available now, and had a CHAdeMO plug and a No Charge To Charge EZ charge card, I would so much prefer that over a Leaf.

But there is no other 107 mile EV at affordable prices right now, so the Leaf it is. Hopefully the next-gen Leaf with 200mile range offers all these things, and then I can trade out of the 2016 Leaf, and into that new one... ;)

redLEAF said:

About the "fit & finish": I don't think it will be like the cheapest materials, or the look and feel of an econobox. It will not be a 2004 Elantra.

There was a review of the Ioniq recently, and while not praising the interior, they even compared it directly to the Leaf:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/hyundai/hyundai-ioniq-review/

The interior is trimmed with the latest environmental plastics and materials (the dash panels, for example are made of wood and rock powder), but they feel horrible, like fingernails down a blackboard, and there's an insubstantial translucency about them, a bit like Nissan's Leaf. The seats are reasonably comfy though and there's lots of storage space. In the hybrid, there's 443 litres under the hatchback, but the larger battery in the pure electric version means it has only 350 litres.

Even when reviewers say, it feels horrible, I like the environmental materials. Who dares to think about something else but oneself, f.e. actually about the environment? I liked the recycled material seats in the SV (which is why I am not getting an SL), and I also think they feel good. The Leaf interior is not a Mercedes, but it certainly doesn't look like a 2004 Elantra. I guess everyone can try the Ioniq when it comes out, still I have the impression it seems like a well-refined car and will offer good value for money.

Also in the picture of the article linked above, it looks like the interior looks fine.

hyundai-ioniq-interior-large_trans++qdr7q1S9YDY8pWFnqgo6N1i8Bn8BvTCRGx8Ryvpyzew.jpg

I just hope that the interior doesn't smell as bad as the Leaf's. Mine made me nauseous for the whole first year I had it, and it still bothers my housemate. (Her Prius, OTOH, makes me nauseous even after 3 years.)

LeftieBiker said:
I just hope that the interior doesn't smell as bad as the Leaf's. Mine made me nauseous for the whole first year I had it, and it still bothers my housemate. (Her Prius, OTOH, makes me nauseous even after 3 years.)

That is interesting to hear. I am also very sensitive to some chemical smells, lots of new car smells really bothered me. Still maybe because our Leaf was a 2012, it was not so bad? It was only a light new car smell, now very strong and plasticy. I hope the 2016 Leaf SV that I am about to get will not bother me scent-wise. It seemed ok on the test drive... :)

This review of the GB BEV model compares it favorably overall with gen 1 LEAF:

Hyundai Ioniq EV electric car review

...So, on the numbers front the Ioniq beats its only current competitor in virtually every area. It will cover an additional 20 miles per charge, it’s marginally cheaper to buy, comes better kitted out, and is even slightly quicker...

One area where you definitely don’t get sold short is when it comes to kit. All Ioniq Electrics come as standard with auto lights and wipers, 16-inch alloy wheels, Apple CarPlay, a reversing camera, LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control and a seven-inch display with sat-nav.

In terms of practicality, the 350-litre boot is a similar size to what you get in a Leaf, but rear passenger space isn’t as generous...

the Ioniq could qualify as a perfectly rational choice for a lot of people.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/ioniq/96266/hyundai-ioniq-ev-electric-car-review

edatoakrun said:

Hyundai Ioniq EV electric car review

...So, on the numbers front the Ioniq beats its only current competitor in virtually every area. It will cover an additional 20 miles per charge, it’s marginally cheaper to buy, comes better kitted out, and is even slightly quicker...

One area where you definitely don’t get sold short is when it comes to kit. All Ioniq Electrics come as standard with auto lights and wipers, 16-inch alloy wheels, Apple CarPlay, a reversing camera, LED headlamps, adaptive cruise control and a seven-inch display with sat-nav.

In terms of practicality, the 350-litre boot is a similar size to what you get in a Leaf, but rear passenger space isn’t as generous...

the Ioniq could qualify as a perfectly rational choice for a lot of people.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/ioniq/96266/hyundai-ioniq-ev-electric-car-review
In addition, it just stomps the new Prius in the looks department.

edatoakrun said:

Would creating a brand new product that beats your competitor's 5 year old model a good strategy exp. with the next gen coming out in a year or so ?

We'll find out - but won't be surprised if this is just a compliance car (just sold a little more widely like FFE than Fit EV).

Back