2016 LEAF Specifications

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prices announced, for trim levels.

Nov. 3, 2015
Nissan announces U.S. pricing for 2016 LEAF

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nissan today announced U.S. pricing for the 2016 Nissan LEAF, which goes on sale soon at LEAF Certified Nissan dealers nationwide. For 2016, the all-electric LEAF is available with a 30 kWh battery that provides an EPA-rated best-in-class* range of 107** miles – a 27 percent increase over the previous 24 kWh battery. The new battery is standard for LEAF SV and LEAF SL models. The 2016 model also offers an enhanced IT system that is more user-friendly and gives drivers greater vehicle connectivity.

The 2016 Nissan LEAF has a starting price of $26,700*** after the federal tax credit of $7,500 for the SV model and $29,290*** for LEAF SL after the federal tax credit. LEAF S models continue to be equipped with a 24 kWh battery with an EPA-rated range of 84** miles. Starting price for 2016 Nissan LEAF S grade remains $21,510*** after the federal tax incentive.

Along with the new battery, other enhancements for the 2016 model year include standard NissanConnect with Mobile Apps with 5.0-inch color display for LEAF S models. LEAF SV and SL grades add NissanConnect with Navigation and Mobile Apps, featuring a 7.0-inch color display with multi-touch control and Nissan Voice Recognition.

The NissanConnect EV system (no-charge subscription required), also standard on SV and SL grades, allows remote connection to the vehicle, providing monitoring of battery state-of-charge, start charging event control and turning on the heating and air conditioning system prior to entering the vehicle.

The 2016 model also offers three new premium-look exterior colors: Forged Bronze, Coulis Red and Deep Blue Pearl (eight colors total).

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices* (MSRP) for the 2015 Nissan LEAF are:

LEAF S $29,010 USD
LEAF SV $34,200 USD
LEAF SL $36,790 USD ...
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan/releases/nissan-announces-u-s-pricing-for-2016-leaf

I still can't find ordering/options details and pricing for 2016 MY at the Nissan site:

http://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/?lang=en&tool=header.st.build.link&_vipreq=1021082058

All news about 2016 Nissan Leaf, specs, range and price range on

2016-Nissan-Leaf-1.jpg

:roll: :arrow:

That announcement out to drop the price on the remaining 2015s by another $6-8 grand. Will be really interesting how low they have to go with 2015s to clear inventory. I would also expect that the 2013 rental returns will go down another $3-5K from their current $11-15K range.
Will also be really interesting to see what percentage of 2016 sales will be S models. I'm guessing < 25%.

Still seems to be quite a bit of inventory here in the Pacific NW.

My local dealer sold about a half dozen lease returns they had in Aug & Sept, currently have only one. However they appear to have only sold one or two of the 2015 models in stock since I have been watching in Sept & currently have 11 on hand.

Another dealer south of me (North Seattle) has about 24 new ones with S models reduced to $16K & SVs at $20K (that is after the $7,500 Fed tax credit). That dealer also has 20 used 2013 Leafs ranging from $11,950 for an S, $14,950 for SV w QC, to 19,950 for an SL with premium package.

The writeup for the 2016 Leaf linked above is filled with errors and misleading info (like the 3.3kw charging system, which they imply they all will have.) It reads like an ad for a Chinese scooter, I'm afraid. Nissan needs to get some English speakers (and proofreaders) to write copy for the English-speaking market.

I do like that dark blue, though...

LeftieBiker said:
The writeup for the 2016 Leaf linked above is filled with errors and misleading info (like the 3.3kw charging system, which they imply they all will have.) It reads like an ad for a Chinese scooter, I'm afraid. Nissan needs to get some English speakers (and proofreaders) to write copy for the English-speaking market.

I do like that dark blue, though...
Probably not a "Nissan" website. I bet the the user who posted it is a spammer for the site linked.

Probably not a "Nissan" website. I bet the the user who posted it is a spammer for the site linked.

I dunno. There is a photo of a Nissan Rep with a placard a little ways back here, and on the placard the word "Future" is misspelled...

Correction: no Nissan rep in the photo, but the placard is labelled "Nissan Motor Corp."

LeftieBiker said:

I dunno. There is a photo of a Nissan Rep with a placard a little ways back here, and on the placard the word "Future" is misspelled...

Correction: no Nissan rep in the photo, but the placard is labelled "Nissan Motor Corp."
I don't think Nissan is behind 2016nissan.net hosted on Wordpress... pretty sure they would use their own website. Here is the official Nissan press release website: http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa

I'm confused about a story on teh interwebs...

I saw this quote:
Perhaps most importantly, the driving range is significantly increased to 155 miles (249.5km) per charge, up from 107 miles (172.2km) on a 2016 model year Leaf with its older version of the 30 KWh battery.

From here: http://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2016/02/23/new-leaf-tickles-at-mobile-world-congress/

Just a messed up article? Pseudo numbers (i.e. 155 on some test range, but really 107)? This is projected for the 17?? Or??

Just looked weird...
If it's still a 30KWh battery, I'm not sure how they could go from 107 to 155 with the same basic battery size???

I have 120 mile round trip commute, so 107 wasn't enough to make me blink.. Still have to charge mid day.
But 155, might.. maybe.. (Maybe not tho, in winter at year 5 of ownership??? Hmm..)

desiv

desiv said:
I'm confused about a story on teh interwebs...

I saw this quote:
Perhaps most importantly, the driving range is significantly increased to 155 miles (249.5km) per charge, up from 107 miles (172.2km) on a 2016 model year Leaf with its older version of the 30 KWh battery.

From here: http://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2016/02/23/new-leaf-tickles-at-mobile-world-congress/

Just a messed up article? Pseudo numbers (i.e. 155 on some test range, but really 107)? This is projected for the 17?? Or??

Just looked weird...
If it's still a 30KWh battery, I'm not sure how they could go from 107 to 155 with the same basic battery size???

I have 120 mile round trip commute, so 107 wasn't enough to make me blink.. Still have to charge mid day.
But 155, might.. maybe.. (Maybe not tho, in winter at year 5 of ownership??? Hmm..)

desiv
I'm virtually certain it's just a clueless journalist. It appears the original source was Agence France-Press, which means that the 155 miles (actually 250km) was the NEDC range, and the author of this article was comparing it to the LEAF's EPA range of 107 miles and thinking it represented a different battery.

But why 'unveil' something that is not changed?

Nissan has indicated they will match or beat Chevy's Bolt, which is due by end on 2016. So it is plausible that they will do a mid-year update on the current Leaf that provides a range increase. The article didn't say what size the new battery was, just that it will have more range than the predecessor's 30kwh battery. In theory, they could boost range by putting in more battery. And I just recently saw a thread here where someone found enough room under the trunk to mount a spare tire. If there is that much spare room under there, I would think they could load in more battery.

I'm starting to think that they will boost the current model's range to compete with the Bolt before Gen 2 gets here. At 155 mile range, that starts to be viable for my commute. It won't do the round-trip, but will cover one way with enough spare to get to a relatives place as a last resort if the workplace charging doesn't work for some reason.

Hopefully they will come through on that. :mrgreen:

DarthPuppy said:
But why 'unveil' something that is not changed?

Nissan has indicated they will match or beat Chevy's Bolt, which is due by end on 2016. So it is plausible that they will do a mid-year update on the current Leaf that provides a range increase. The article didn't say what size the new battery was, just that it will have more range than the predecessor's 30kwh battery. In theory, they could boost range by putting in more battery. And I just recently saw a thread here where someone found enough room under the trunk to mount a spare tire. If there is that much spare room under there, I would think they could load in more battery.

I'm starting to think that they will boost the current model's range to compete with the Bolt before Gen 2 gets here. At 155 mile range, that starts to be viable for my commute. It won't do the round-trip, but will cover one way with enough spare to get to a relatives place as a last resort if the workplace charging doesn't work for some reason.

Hopefully they will come through on that. :mrgreen:
I think the point is, the 2016 does already have a 155 Mile range... in European cycle... which is 107 in EPA (USA)

24kWh pack will drive up to 120km (not miles) on 55mph highway.
30kWh pack will get 150km.
Never mention anything about NEDC cycle, this is something EU should be ashamed :evil:
Turns out that NEDC kilometers are rough realworld indication of range in miles.

I read the article again and it is clearly being pitched as a range improvement over the current 2016 30kwh model. I also noted this time a link at the bottom of the article to a Nissan video.

The video doesn't give range numbers, but does say that the new battery provides 26% more range. Using the current model's 107 mile EPA range, that suggests 134 mile EPA range for the upcoming Leaf. If that is the case, then I'm excited as that would be enough to cover my commute, though I would prefer 150-200 mile range to support the round trip.

Of course, neither the article or the video give any solid answer as to when this new model will arrive.

DarthPuppy said:
I read the article again and it is clearly being pitched as a range improvement over the current 2016 30kwh model. I also noted this time a link at the bottom of the article to a Nissan video.

The video doesn't give range numbers, but does say that the new battery provides 26% more range. Using the current model's 107 mile EPA range, that suggests 134 mile EPA range for the upcoming Leaf. If that is the case, then I'm excited as that would be enough to cover my commute, though I would prefer 150-200 mile range to support the round trip.

Of course, neither the article or the video give any solid answer as to when this new model will arrive.
Watching Nissan's video, it seems clear to me that they're just talking about the 2016 30kWh car providing ~26% more range than the 24kWh. The 30kWh is just being introduced across Europe. I see no indication that Nissan is talking about another battery upgrade for the 2017 current gen platform - it would hardly be worthwhile for such a short term. Putting more batteries in the spare tire well, as was widely discussed here over the past five years, would require all new crash tests, and that's highly unlikely as well with such a short remaining life for this gen.

DarthPuppy said:

I don't read that. What this journalist is calling 3rd generation is simply the 30kWh model. 2011/12 was the original. 2013 was a mid cycle upgrade and now end of life upgrade with the 30kWh upgrade and new telematics. I think the journalist counts the upgrades as generations.

JPWhite said:
I don't read that. What this journalist is calling 3rd generation is simply the 30kWh model. 2011/12 was the original. 2013 was a mid cycle upgrade and now end of life upgrade with the 30kWh upgrade and new telematics. I think the journalist counts the upgrades as generations.
You're probably right and I was probably reading what I wanted to read. :(

Back