LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electricflower and I talked about getting together to do another mini-tech session including cabin filter changes (just ordered 4 on eBay, 2 are spoken for...I can also give you the link: $6.20 delivered). How does the morning of Sunday, January 3, 2016 sound?

Mainly I figure we can talk LEAF and EV, have a coffee and leftover Christmas cookies, change out a few cabin filters, and perhaps do a tire rotation if needed (although I don't have the fancy setup as Dr. Hermann. We can also ogle my Tesla for those interested.

I can offer my place in the KCMO Northlands if I can convince my wife to let us barge in on the in-laws still being in town, but I need to find out a level of interest.

I can offer one L2 EVSE @ 20A for those who need a charge. Otherwise, you'll have to go up the road to HyVee and WalMart. The closest L3 is at the Liberty PriceChopper.

Who's up tentatively up for it?

Karl

Just thought I'd bump this thread and put out another reminder of the LEAF tech gathering (which right now is 3 people including myself) tomorrow at 10 AM. I bought some extra cabin filters and we might rotate tires as well, then sit in the kitchen and sip some hot beverages and chat a bit.

In other KC EV "news", I saw a couple of relatively new LEAF owners (Oct 2015) at the Barry Road HyVee last night and we exchanged information. They were using the DCQC, but there were L2s remaining. When I came out, they were gone, but a Tesla P90D was at a L2.

Also, I've come to the I-29 and NW 64th HyVee a few times and found the DCQC in use. Maybe I'm imagining things, but I do see more and more LEAFs and other plug-ins (mostly Volts) around. We went to see the Nutcracker before Christmas and every L2 at the Kauffman Center was in use during our show. I do hope the trend continues for plug-ins, but we might have to start using more charging etiquette (e.g. "OK to Unplug" hangers for opportunity charging; I got these and keep handing them out: https://www.etsy.com/listing/240583087/ev-etiquette-survival-pack-hang-tags) as we compete for the chargers.

Finally, after this last snowfall, I keep toying with the idea of a set of winter tires, but I balk at the wheel package price at TireRack. A big price chunk is the wheel itself, but I don't like the idea of unmounting and mounting tires every season. Anyone have a set of LEAF wheels from a parts car they are willing to sell? Alternately, I could look for the right size and bolt pattern steel wheels.

TTFN,

Karl

So you just have to lose 2 more in 1.5 years and stay within the mileage, then claim your free lizard battery. Since the first is the largest loss, just start CHAdeMOing the snot out of it in the heat. :)

Karl

A quick browse of cars.com show some interesting LEAF deals. 2015 new LEAF SL for under $20K. If it's really new, then the $7,500 tax credit applies, meaning $12,495 net for a brand new car (alas, not the bigger battery 2016):

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/631159784/overview/

Speaking of 2016, here's the first 2016 I've seen locally:

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/656406305/overview/

Well, I followed up on this one and it's a lease deal. They took the tax credit into account in the advertised price. A bit deceptive in my mind.

MobileEV said:
2015 new LEAF SL for under $20K. If it's really new, then the $7,500 tax credit applies, meaning $12,495 net for a brand new car (alas, not the bigger battery 2016):

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/631159784/overview/

Not really surprised. I didn't like my experiences shopping at Hendrick which is why I didn't buy there.

Of course, buying a Leaf is totally the wrong thing. Always lease, wish I had.

Tom

Found myself chasing a dark grey color Leaf this afternoon in local traffic up here in the Northland. Had a custom plate, something about Ohm's Law. I have forgotten exact details already. Pulled up next to him at light. We waved.

Anyhow, Leafs are getting more common. Anyone happen to know who that was? Leaf drivers with custom plates are not uncommon I suspect, and his tag was unusual enough that I suspect he's techie of some sort.

I've been absent for a while. I must have missed a email notification of activity (which usually triggers me to come and visit) and then I started assuming the thread was dead. Nice to see it isn't. Missed Karl's cabin air filter event. Hope it was a success.....

I work at St Lukes on Plaza now. Charge at the QC on Plaza once in a while for longer distance excursions. Has been blocked only once and that time by another Leaf. Wish people would put their cell phone number in the dash if they are going to leave the vehicle unattended....

Happy New Years to you all, belated....

Hi Dr. H,

Somehow the notifications on MNL are not what they used to be. I just got into the habit of checking, and apparently I'm having a great conversation with myself a few messages above. :) I suspect the notification issues is why there has been less traffic.

I met a fellow engineer named Graham a few weeks back in a grey 2015 while we were both at the DCQC at the Zona Rosa HyVee. I didn't check his plate that day to see if that is his.

I also saw a LEAF in Liberty a few days ago that I hadn't spotted before. I tried waving furiously and giving a thumbs up from my Tesla, but his eyes never left the windshield. Oh well.

I QCd at the Plaza last Saturday and left my "OK to unplug" hanger (shameless plug: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TakeChargeandGo ) on the rear window. Sure enough, another LEAF took me up on it. They didn't call the number on the sign, but took the plug, which is OK with me. So I gave him a hanger and we parted, each having done their part for charging etiquette.

Also, I'm seeing quite a few 2013s and even a 2014 LEAF coming off-lease on cars.com. It's tempting to trade up for the 6.6KW charger, heat pump, and B-mode, but then again when LEAF 2.0 come out, there will be some 2016s with 30kWh battery to be snatched up.

Some time I'd still like to get together and swap out the receptacle on the 2 X 110V --> 220V adapter I got from you.

TTFN,

Karl

MobileEV said:
Hi Dr. H,

Some time I'd still like to get together and swap out the receptacle on the 2 X 110V --> 220V adapter I got from you.

TTFN,

Karl

I must have lost track of that project as well. This week, till next Friday, my life is crazy. Working 12 hour days , 7 days straight.

But next weekend is calm and we have no travel plans. Would be happy to work on that 120>>240 box. If you'd like to drop by, text or call to 8one6-6five4-3146 and we could work it out. Would cut down on posts here......

Of course, if you (or any Leaf owner) have a fireplace/stove and need some canned heat (firewood) any one and all are welcome to join me on good days (frozen) to harvest the yearly trove of "guilt free heat". I cut a years supply of wood in the winter months and this year is no exception. Good days for cutting are cold and dry.

I helped a new citizen. He moved here from Chicago with his Smart EV convertible. He lives in the apts across from the office with no EVSE avail. I was opening up the password protected charger for a month until security got around to getting a chargepoint card for visitors and neighbors.

tom

Dr. H., I might have to take you up on your offer. It's not urgent, to be sure.

I also helped an EV newbie by leaving an "OK to Unplug" charger hang tag on their Focus EV that I saw with a temporary tag at the Sam's Club off North Oak Tfwy in the Northland.

Finally, although I never heard back from the Parkville parks guy, I found a live 120V box near the farmer's market. At this point, I guess I'll have to ask for forgiveness rather than permission since I'm not getting any feedback.

Pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/kGy8ZnXo92vhsGt98

-Karl

MobileEV said:
Dr. H., I might have to take you up on your offer. It's not urgent, to be sure.

I also helped an EV newbie by leaving an "OK to Unplug" charger hang tag on their Focus EV that I saw with a temporary tag at the Sam's Club off North Oak Tfwy in the Northland.

Finally, although I never heard back from the Parkville parks guy, I found a live 120V box near the farmer's market. At this point, I guess I'll have to ask for forgiveness rather than permission since I'm not getting any feedback.

Pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/kGy8ZnXo92vhsGt98

-Karl

Just today, I discovered that St Luke's Hospital Plaza is getting 6 level 2 EVSE slots. Good for me -- I can park in that structure and get some juice whenever I have a longer stretch planned........

As for Parkville, bummer they cannot figure out that the watts from EV's are minimal compared to the business generated.... The Hyvee with a QC on 65th and I-29 also has free wifi......

Sams on North Oak might just get my business over Costco since Sams has the EVSE's.......

As for the 120v=240v unit, text me at my cell at 816-6five4-3016 and we can work out a time to fix you up.....

You know the best thing about the first real warm week in spring? It's like getting a brand new car again when the battery warms up.

Better acceleration, actual regeneration, it's like a whole new car.

So, I came back from a business trip on Friday, and the Nissan Leaf app is no longer working on my iPhone. I get an error message "The service cannot be provided. Please try it again or contact NISSAN." And today, I received an email and letter in the mail today about cellular service being discontinued unless I elect to upgrade my in car GSM modem.

I called Nissan LEAF support and was informed that these are two different things. According to the representative, NISSAN is having some issues with a "security" upgrade, and the app is currently not working. Going directly to the website appears to be working though.

As far as the new modem is concerned, it looks like Nissan will send out another email/letter this summer with details on how to upgrade the hardware in the car. He also said that the account upgrade some of us did last year is what is needed to keep GSM 2G connectivity until the end of this year. For those that did not sign back up for the new portal last year will have their service disconnected after June 30, 2016.

I wonder if the upgrade will introduce any new functionality for those of us with a first generation Nissan LEAF.

So:

1.) To keep service after 6/30/2016 until 12/31/2016, one must sign up on the new LEAF owner's portal that came out late last year. Otherwise cellular service will end after 6/30/2016.
2.) To have service after 12/31/2016 (an perhaps earlier in some areas of the country where 2G is discontinued earlier), one must have the new LEAF cellular equipment installed. Pricing and details will be send out this summer, but the letter indicates that "Nissan plans to cover a substantial portion of the costs for parts and installation of the updated hardware."

Looks like KCP&L has been busy installing more EVSEs. If you check the ChargePoint.com map or the app, they are popping up again. I added this one in North KC: http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/82281

While the ARC auto store is getting their share of plug-in vehicles for sale (I saw 2 LEAFs, a few Volts, and a Ford CMax), they also seem to block the charging spots. They have a rear (west) charger that was available.

The location is not super-convenient to things like Macken Park where my son plays soccer, but it's walkable if you need the charge. Also, Ruby Tuesday is across the street.

Back