Official VW e-Golf thread - $29,815

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I have advanced peripheral artery disease as well as cardio-vascular disease. I wear a balaclava and hood while driving in Winter, or just a hood in mild temps. I do not dress lightly and then complain about cold hands and feet. As it is my left foot freezes while driving, because there is no heat blowing directly on it. And no, I don't wear sandals or sneakers, and I do wear warm socks.
Sounds like a pair of electrically-heated socks are in order - and just in time for Xmas. :D

srl99 said:
GRA said:
Just a suggestion: have you tried wearing a warm cap? Keep your head, neck and torso warm, and there'll be more blood for your extremities. I used to drive my Datsun 2000 roadster with just a tonneau cover on fairly raw days, bundled up in a wool sweater, windbreaker and leather driving gloves, but with a watch cap. With the heat on under the tonneau I was fine, and the circulation in my hands and feet is nothing to write home about.
And you looked mahhvelous. I admire the explorers who drive their convertibles around in cold weather with the top down.
I drew the line at long scarfs. No one was going to be making references to Isadora Duncan in an obit of mine, if I died in the car! Part of the reason for the tonneau was that the soft top was such a pain to put up or take down, the 2000 being essentially a Japanese attempt at building a British sports car, and they successfully copied most of the bad points (including the SU carbs). In winter I generally put the hard top on, but in the swing seasons I generally just used the tonneau. The soft top only got used on long trips.

Got this Email.

Looks like ~$150 a month for CA lessees, post rebates.

2016 e-Golf SE.

$259/month.3 36-month lease. $0 due at signing.

Excludes tax, title, license, registration, options, and dealer fees. For highly qualified customers through Volkswagen Credit. Offer ends 1/4/2016. Available in select states.4

Plus, switch to VW and you can get a $1,500 Bonus1

For qualified customers who finance through Volkswagen Credit and who currently own or lease another vehicle brand. Offer expires 1/4/2016.

FYI the 2016 eGolf SE is just like the Leaf S: resistive-type heater, and only a 3.6 kW OBC with no QC. For $1700 you can upgrade to a 7.2 kW unit with SAE-CCS/"FrankenPlug"

If you can find a 2015 eGolf LE, that does come with the 7.2 kW OBC and CCS as standard.

Just got a postcard offering $25 to give the e-Golf a test drive. I already did one when the e-Golf first arrived - at that time, they were offering $50 to do a test drive. :lol:

So their marketing coordination might not be the most efficient. However, I was impressed when I drove it. Now if it can just have about 50% more range. :mrgreen:

DarthPuppy said:
Just got a postcard offering $25 to give the e-Golf a test drive. I already did one when the e-Golf first arrived - at that time, they were offering $50 to do a test drive. :lol:

So their marketing coordination might not be the most efficient. However, I was impressed when I drove it. Now if it can just have about 50% more range. :mrgreen:
Now if they would only sell it / lease it outside of CARB states.
I'd get one today if available in NC.

Via ABG:
VW e-Golf will get 30% range boost thanks to improved batteries
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/09/volkswagen-e-golf-30-percent-range-increase-new-batteries/

Volkswagen will give the e-Golf nearly 30 percent more range thanks to an upcoming improvement from the German automaker's batteries. Volkmar Tanneberger, the company's head of electronic development, says the battery cells in the e-Golf will grow to 37 amp hours from 28 amp hours currently, and this jump allows for the improvement without any physical changes to the battery design.

"It's the same package but just with the next generation of cells," Tanneberger told Autoblog during a roundtable discussion at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show. He didn't indicate specifically when VW will introduce the update. . . .
As with the Focus (and 30kWh LEAF FTM), not enough with 200 mile BEVs arriving in a year or so.

LeftieBiker said:
The eGolf gets about the same range as the Leaf with half as much capacity...???
It uses more cells with less capacity each. Overall capacity is similar to the LEAF

Good to see more 100+ mile EVs hitting the market, but it will take 150-200mi EVs with 75+kW QC with reliable infrastructure to really have EVs take off.

LeftieBiker said:
The eGolf gets about the same range as the Leaf with half as much capacity...???

amp-hours do not equal kWh. That is probably where the confusion lies. Both the LEAF and the e-Golf have 24 kWh batteries (except the 2016 LEAF SV/SL of course).

So Nissan, Ford, and now VW have all bumped up their 80-mile cars to 100-mile cars. Sounds to me like battery tech improves equally, regardless of the car around it ;)

In order to get the 2.5x increase from 80 to 200 miles, you need to do more than improve the battery. You need to make it physically larger. This requires a new platform to accomodate a larger battery. For Nissan, we have seen the IDS concept. And for VW, they keep talking about the upcoming MEB platform, build for EVs. So I have faith that VW will follow suit with a 200 mile BEV in time. Remember that the eGolf lagged the Leaf by almost 4 years! VW is slow to come to the game, but what they have brought to the table thus far have been, IMHO, solid offerings.

GetOffYourGas said:
So Nissan, Ford, and now VW have all bumped up their 80-mile cars to 100-mile cars. Sounds to me like battery tech improves equally, regardless of the car around it ;)

In order to get the 2.5x increase from 80 to 200 miles, you need to do more than improve the battery. You need to make it physically larger. This requires a new platform to accomodate a larger battery. For Nissan, we have seen the IDS concept. And for VW, they keep talking about the upcoming MEB platform, build for EVs. So I have faith that VW will follow suit with a 200 mile BEV in time. Remember that the eGolf lagged the Leaf by almost 4 years! VW is slow to come to the game, but what they have brought to the table thus far have been, IMHO, solid offerings.
The problem is just that an increase to 100+ miles would have been a fairly big deal in 2014 as a mid-life update for existing cars. Now, it's just "Who cares? I'll wait for 2017 to get twice that." Obviously, VW and all the other manufacturers will follow suit eventually, but if all you've got to offer is a 100 mile BEV and someone else has a 200 mile one for not much more, you can forget sales. Unless the companies that only have 100 mile BEVs are willing to offer huge discounts, I don't see much of a market.

Sure, we all would have liked to see 100+ mile BEVs in 2014. I'm sure that Nissan/Ford/VW would have loved to have sold them. But the rate of progress on battery tech has not followed our desires. So now Ford and VW are in a tight spot. Their new BEV platforms are not ready yet, but the next gen BEVs are targeted to be released right when they are making the limited improvements allowed by their current platforms.

I don't put Nissan in that bin because I believe the 30kWh Leaf is just a stop-gap to tide them over until the 60kWh Leaf is ready in about 15 months from now. Plus the 30kWh Leaf is on the road today, while the 100-mile Focus/Golf are due to come out right around the same time as the Bolt. Fail.

GetOffYourGas said:

From the site with the piece on eGolfs "stalling":

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/vw-plans-mass-market-ev-battle-chevy-volt-and-tesla-model-3

redLEAF said:
As if things couldn't get any worse for VW ...

Can electric cars stall? Yes, and VW has the recall to prove it

http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/vw-e-golf-faces-recall-stalling-issue#ixzz44aONSRWW

VW's fix isjust a quick software update. I had my car done a couple of weeks ago. Nothing nearly as drastic as what VW would have to do to fix the cheating TDI's, if they can fix them at all.

It's also not as bad as what Honda is going through with the Takata airbag recall. A co-worker has a Fit and Honda is providing him a rental until his car is fixed, even though parts may not be available until the end of summer.

The current e-Golf is 190 kilometers [118 miles] of range on paper and about 120 kilometers [75 miles] in the real world," Volkswagen Group small car development leader Dr. Jocham Böhle explained. "The Golf VIII e-Golf will have 300 kilometers [186 miles] of real-world range – genuinely 300 kilometers – and the current plug-in hybrid has 50 kilometers [31 miles] of electric range and we don't need more than that ... The electrified Golfs will all have 48-volt power. They might not be there right at the start of Golf VIII, but they will be close behind ... That system will go through all the MQB cars, with 48 volts. All hybrids and battery electric MQBs will go to 48 volts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/05/volkswagen-golf-eighth-generation-information/

LeftieBiker said:
I'm guess that he means "48 volt secondary system voltage" and not 48 volt pack voltage. ;-)

Yes, but the 186 mile range in 2018 is what's interesting, and no fear of fed tax credit disappearing. Chances are it will be less expensive than a Tesla 3, and, hopefully, SAE Combo QC network will be more robust in 2-3 years.

Back