How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
suwaneedad said:
4th bar lost yesterday, 3/18/16.
2012 SV
53,474 miles
51.75 months old
Atlanta

I think I'll go ahead and use up the remaining miles and calendar before the warranty lapses, before getting the new battery pack under warranty. Anyone have a reason to think this approach is a bad idea? Thanks.

Bold prediction: the line for (replacement) battery packs will be "around the block" by this summer. Just sayin...

Stanton said:
suwaneedad said:
4th bar lost yesterday, 3/18/16.
2012 SV
53,474 miles
51.75 months old
Atlanta

I think I'll go ahead and use up the remaining miles and calendar before the warranty lapses, before getting the new battery pack under warranty. Anyone have a reason to think this approach is a bad idea? Thanks.

Bold prediction: the line for (replacement) battery packs will be "around the block" by this summer. Just sayin...

I believe you are spot on! Especially if they keep shipping them in from Japan. How would we know that they are not just refurbishing them away from view?

Evoforce said:
Stanton said:

I believe you are spot on! Especially if they keep shipping them in from Japan. How would we know that they are not just refurbishing them away from view?

Based on the data from my replacement battery pack, it appears to be brand new. I'm no expert, but I believe the "hidden capacity" that seems to be above the 66 AHr reading (mine hasn't moved in 3 months now) suggests it's a lizard pack.

Stanton said:
Evoforce said:
Stanton said:

Based on the data from my replacement battery pack, it appears to be brand new. I'm no expert, but I believe the "hidden capacity" that seems to be above the 66 AHr reading (mine hasn't moved in 3 months now) suggests it's a lizard pack.

I agree they probably are new. It took mine (late Dec install) about 7 months to move down from 100% SOH. It seems it would be counter productive to go against a court order that states that Nissan must replace 2011-12 batteries with new Lizard or better. But.. Here is a wrinkle to consider. Those who were technically not part of the class maybe are getting reconditioned 12 bar batteries. You know, conspiracy theories can leach into the crevices of a caveman like mind... :) Not that I believe this battery theory, but I have heard of it though. ;)

I am at 58,700 miles in the San Jose, CA. AHR 45.07, SOH 68% Still only 3 bars dropped. Any chance it will happen before millage runs out (I have until November time wise).

Skip said:
I am at 58,700 miles in the San Jose, CA. AHR 45.07, SOH 68% Still only 3 bars dropped. Any chance it will happen before millage runs out (I have until November time wise).

As Indiana Jones once said, "it's not the age, it's the miles." Even if it were 100 degrees right now, I'm not sure 1300 miles is enough to drop > 2 AHr. If you really wanted the warranty replacement, you should have stopped driving it before winter and waited until this summer.

Skip said:

If I were you and wanted a new battery under warranty I'd stop driving it every day now to keep those miles saved up. Then I'd storing it in the hottest location, something like outside baking in the sun during the day and then in your garage during the night if that is hotter. Then I'd regularly drive it such that the weekly miles is spread out right up until the day the warranty runs out. I'm not entirely certain what conditions are needed for the LBC to update the stats but it definitely seems to be based on driving it so driving 40 miles a week or so should be enough to get the stats to update so you can be tracking the monthly progress to ensure that the monthly capacity loss was trending to get down to high 41.xx AHr by November. If things are going slow then other methods of discharging the battery without adding miles, getting it hot, etc. may be warranted. Whatever you do I'd definitely make the miles last until November as you are going to be really close so all the extra time you can get will be good.

Skip said:

As others have already said, you need to stop driving the Leaf NOW, and find an alternative vehicle for a few months. You have a $6000 battery on the line here, so borrow, rent, or steal, whatever you need to do to use a different car for a while. I lost my 4th bar at only 1.6 AHr less than what you have now, so it shouldn't be hard to lose that if you just charge it to 100% and let it sit in the hot sun.

Just bought my 2011 Leaf a month or so ago (at $8k, I couldn't pass it up). I did do research and knew about the battery warranty. I currently have 9 bars at 44,066 miles, 42.38 Ahr, and 64% SOH. I have been using LeafSpy Pro for a week and it WAS at 42.332 Ahr and now it is higher at 42.38 Ahr. I that normal for it to go up? From numbers online, I am seeing that MOST have lost the 4th bar by now. I am getting pretty nervous because the 5 years is up June 1. Also, I am in Oklahoma where summers do get hot. Unfortunately, it is still pretty cool around here, so that is not helping the pesky 4th bar to leave. I am driving it aggressively, parking in the sun, and charging 100%. You guys think I will make it (roughly 49 days)? I am totally obsessed with trying to get that free battery! Any other thoughts/tips?

edatoakrun said:
ACEOU said:
Just bought my 2011 Leaf a month or so ago...I am totally obsessed with trying to get that free battery! Any other thoughts/tips?
Perhaps you could find some other subject or activity to obsess over?

Sex and drugs seem to be popular alternatives...

True...true. Although, I have a 1 yr old and a 5 yr old and I am saving for a house. So, not paying $5,500 for a new battery sounds pretty good. Plus, I could use that money for the sex and drugs. :lol:

ACEOU said:
Is that normal for it to go up? From numbers online, I am seeing that MOST have lost the 4th bar by now. I am getting pretty nervous because the 5 years is up June 1. Also, I am in Oklahoma where summers do get hot. Unfortunately, it is still pretty cool around here, so that is not helping the pesky 4th bar to leave. I am driving it aggressively, parking in the sun, and charging 100%. You guys think I will make it (roughly 49 days)? I am totally obsessed with trying to get that free battery! Any other thoughts/tips?
Normal for capacity and SOH to improve when weather cools.
My SOH was 3% lower and AHr was 1 lower three weeks back when weather was much hotter.

You have a lot better chance then me. My clock runs out May 17 and I am much further away than you.

Temperature is what matters.
But others have reported fourth bar loss can be SLOW to happen.

At least you only paid $8,000. I have $24,000 in mine.
Your grass is a lot greener.

Obsess no more! This morning I am doing the battery dance! Turned it on and, sure enough, 4th bar was dropped. Here are the numbers.

44,116 miles, SOH - 64%, AHr - 42.38, Hx - 43.40%

I am setting the up the appt to get everything checked out and started. Hoping that it is up to date on software as well. Heard a few of those stories of the update changing the capacity level. I'm pretty sure I am fine though. I'll post some updates here.

I've had my leaf in storage for 5 months stuck at 59,9xx. It was frozen at 44.44Ah all winter and I lost the key and couldn't check on it until a few weeks ago. Without driving it it dropped to 44.41Ah. I've seen it as low as 44.18Ah before I stopped driving it. I'm really curious when it will update.

About 5 months ago I also looked at a another leaf for sale as a spare, but someone stole the sale from me. However, point in mentioning this is that when they rolled it off the showroom floor, it lost a whole 5% off the SOH.. 92% - 87% just from rolling it outside 40 ft. Makes me really wonder. I think wheel rotation is a trigger but there is also a timer in there. I feel like I've tried everything.

ACEOU said:
Obsess no more! This morning I am doing the battery dance! Turned it on and, sure enough, 4th bar was dropped. Here are the numbers.

44,116 miles, SOH - 64%, AHr - 42.38, Hx - 43.40%

I am setting the up the appt to get everything checked out and started. Hoping that it is up to date on software as well. Heard a few of those stories of the update changing the capacity level. I'm pretty sure I am fine though. I'll post some updates here.

Just picked the car back up from the dealer after they okayed the replacement. Battery is ordered as of yest/today. Hoping I won't have to wait too long. I believe they said 4-6 weeks for me (in Oklahoma). I'll keep updates on here as well as my new battery readings when I get it back.

At about 6 weeks before the warranty expiration our 2011 Leaf SL dropped to 8 bars. AHr reading was 43.39. A little over 46K miles.

Thanks to all who published their experiences on MLN. Keeping track of the AHr reading on LeafSpy made the whole experience a little less mysterious.

hillzofvalp said:
... I think wheel rotation is a trigger ..
I agree.
From what I have observed it is very rare for SOH, AHr, and Hx to change with the LEAF parked.
Mine had been in the garage for several days with no change even though power had been used from the battery.

When I parked after a 25 mile drive it dropped 4 on SOH, 1 on AHR, and 3 on Hx.

On the second restart after parked the AHr did change slightly by 0.1
But no change since then while parked for several days.

If you use battery power while parked you can over several days see a drop in Remaing kWh and GIDs when charged to 100%, but it will not show up on SOH, AHR, or Hx until the vehicle moves some distance.

Not sure how far it has to move.

TimLee said:
... If you use battery power while parked you can over several days see a drop in Remaing kWh and GIDs when charged to 100%, but it will not show up on SOH, AHR, or Hx until the vehicle moves some distance.

Not sure how far it has to move.
Took car out of garage today.

Would not update SOH, AHr, and Hx after 0.3 mile drive.
Did update after three mile drive.
Threshold is between 0.3 and 3.0 miles.

SOH dropped from 68 to 67.
But AHr only dropped from 44.8 to 44.5.
Not much time.
Three weeks.

I have a 2012 Leaf in Northern California, in land, hot (+90F) in the summers.

First three years I babied the battery, always charged to 80% and majority of that was with 120V. Only twice used the QC and watched the battery heat, which never got above 7 bar, even when it was 110F. I lost bar one at 30K, bar two at 40K, bar three at 51K. Currently at 55K.
Full charge at 67F reads 181GIDS (64.4%) with SOC reading 87.6%, with 14.0kWh and 40.66h at 390V. This will jump up to 190GIDS if the battery warms up to 5 bars. Battery inspection received a pass at the dealship.

Of course now I want to loose a fourth bar and get a battery replacement. Nissan sent me free 3mo QC card so I have use the QC about twice a week for the last month, with no change in the total GIDs (~190). From what I have read, this battery should just about be ready to loose the four bar at <68% capacity.

Any predictions of when to expect the four bar loss? Winner will get a $20 starbucks or peets coffee card mailed to them.

Thanks

J

Back