Goal: 3.6 - 6.6Kw Leaf Charger (aka OBC) working standalone as a programmable power supply.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analyser

The original goal was: 3.6 - 6.6Kw Leaf Charger (aka OBC) to make it working standalone as a programmable power supply.

By “programmable” power supply I mean at minimum to achieve the following steps on the wish list:

Option A: To power it up from standard Leaf EVSE from 100/200VAC so that there is a continuous fixed DC output.

Option B: A + be able to set up output voltage within the limits built into the hardware /firmware (perhaps limited to acceptable CAN commands);

Option C: A + B + be able to set up output current within the limits built into the hardware /firmware (perhaps limited to acceptable CAN commands); Currently can use my own current regulator up to 6 Amps but would like to utilise whatever Panasonic OBC can offer.

8 May 16 update:

Have built battery emulator (i.e. LBC with 96 resistors and external 240/306 DC applied) and conncted to the harness with VCM and other ECU (except inverter, motor and steering).
In that configuration there is connection over EV-CAN between LBC and VCM but OBC does not power on with EVSE powered from specifically made for purpose 204V AC 3KW transformer.
VCM generates P3196 003 DTC which is according to EVC-(page 287) in 2014 Service Manual prevents normal charging.
There is another EV/HEV DTC P3196 00B (Traction motor Inventer related) which does not seem to be mentioned in SM as charging prohiibiting. Same with another 8:
U0415 009; U1000 004 & 009; B2098 008; P189A 000A; P18A 000A.
In my set up I have not connected Brake ECU (it consumes 3A); steering ECU; Invertor and motor.

Note: I have dismantled Leaf charger down to boards, made some notes of controllers on-board and made a video of that. May upload at some stage if there is interest of what's inside.

12 May 2016 update: project had been parked as priorities have shifted to building other hardware.

Hi analyser. Sorry I don't know anything useful to help with your charger project, but I am interested in the battery emulator that you mentioned. What are use using for the 360+V DC power supply?

I would be interested in seeing your video on pulling the charger apart. Is it the early 2011-2012 type or the later one integrated into the inverter and motor?

NocturnalWalt said:
.... would be interested in seeing your video on pulling the charger apart. Is it the early 2011-2012 type or the later one integrated into the inverter and motor?

Year 2013 on top of the inverter and motor under the hood.

Ok. Was there anything interesting to be found pulling the charger apart?

Do you have any info you can share on the supply you used for your battery emulator?

I think I read in something else you posted that you're in Auckland. I'm a kiwi too by the way, down in Chch.

FWIW, I'm not sure the OBC has a means for directly controlling output voltage. I believe that its fundamentally a current source. The LBC monitors the battery parameters (SOC, temps, etc) and reports to VCM, which tells the OBC how much power/current to output. I'm not aware of any way for the VCM to tell the OBC to output a particular regulated voltage. As a current source, the output voltage is whatever it has to be to maintain the required current output. That may or may not be an issue depending on what you are trying to do.

You might be interested in the thread/videos I've done on operating a 2012 Leaf system outside the car. I've been trying to document the minimum set of controllers required to get the system to startup and operate as normal. Its not quite the same of course, as I'm trying to get drive mode not just charge, but might be of some help.
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/re-using-complete-leaf-drive-system-151458.html

Post #60 is where I started assembling the system:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=702122&postcount=60

Leaving out the brake and steering ECUs should be fine. I suspect the inverter is going to be an issue though. In order to successfully get to ready and begin charging, there is a very strict sequence of events that must occur. Otherwise an HV system fault will be suspected and the battery will remain disconnected as a safety precaution. One of those key gates is the inverter telling the VCM that pre-charge is complete (based on voltage sensed at the inverter caps) and to go ahead with closing SMR1 to complete HV activation. Similarly the HV has to be detected in the proper sequence through the DCJB (PDM in the 2013+ I suppose) to allow the charge relays to close and charging to begin.

From the codes you listed, I'd start by looking at your 12V power system. P3196 could be a CAN problem, but also could just be the OBC controller is not powered correctly and not responding. B2098 also seems to indicate an issue with your ignition on 12V power sequencing as detected by the IPDM. P189A is probably a consequence of not having the motor hooked up, so it can't verify its in park. That could also be an issue.

One more thing you could try, a friend has told me that there was a guy over on the focus electric forum who succeeded in using several Leaf OBCs as add on chargers for his Focus. He's pretty sure its this guy, who has moved on to a new approach and seems to have deleted the earlier thread. You might try contacting him...
http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2548

Rob

No sure I should jump in here - but I am looking to use the PDM (6.6kW) outside of the Leaf as well. I am converting a Mazda RX8 to electric and I am going to use the batteries out of my trashed 2015 (2300 miles) Leaf. But even more interesting would be to use the existing BMS and PDM to charge the batteries and access the DC - DC converter. I guess it all comes down to the CAN codes. So I would just like to say good luck with your project, and I'll be lurking around the forums for information.

NocturnalWalt said:
Hi analyser. Sorry I don't know anything useful to help with your charger project, but I am interested in the battery emulator that you mentioned. What are use using for the 360+V DC power supply?
I would be interested in seeing your video on pulling the charger apart. Is it the early 2011-2012 type or the later one integrated into the inverter and motor?
Ok, mate, be one of the first to view - uploaded last night.
I were not bothered with vocal comments, apart from brief note re: cooler, as everything else is self-explanatory to electronic engineers:
https://youtu.be/Cm4_RJFDXA8

Thanks for sharing your video analyser. I also checked out your website and FB page. I noticed you mentioned you wrecked both a USDM and JDM Leaf and I see you've been playing around with powering stuff up on the bench. Have you got all of the electronic modules and wiring from both cars still?

I am thinking about the similiar project. Could you gents advise based on your experience what LEAF's items apart of PDM are essetnial to make it works. Currenty I am in possesion of PDM 6,6kw with OBC and DC/DC converter built-in.+ SAE J1772 cable. From my understanding to allow comunication via CAN through all these moduls I would also need the VCM and LBC. I have also one doubt with regards to the CP&PP plug which is splitted away just after the SAE J1772 socket. Where these two pins are going, I am guessing the VCM however there is no socket for those pins on the VCM so I'm presssuming they are most likely conected to the VCM harness somwhere in the middle.
How you emulate HV batteries in order to supply 12V.. Are you able to make any progress since last update?

miscrms said:
VCM, which tells the OBC how much power/current to output. I'm not aware of any way for the VCM to tell the OBC to output a particular regulated voltage. As a current source, the output voltage is whatever it has to be to maintain the required current output.

Rob

Hi Rob I am really interested in this comment as I would like to be able to reconfigure my pack to a lower voltage to put it into a 2002 RAV4EV
I am also interested to know where you ended up on setting the OBC up as a stand alone charger/PS.

I have started trying this and have created a new thread over here :
https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30915&p=579421#p579421

I would appreciate hearing your conclusions so I can avoid as many dead ends as possible.
Al the best and thanks !!

LeftieBiker said:
Why two different topics on this?

Did not find this thread until today that is why I have linked it and mine back to this one as well as a couple of others that have not seen significant progress recently.

The intent of my new thread is different I still want to use OBC with a leaf pack not as a power supply and use as much of the leaf system as necessary to make it work. Here is hoping anyway.

Thanks for asking.

Back