Battery-electric bus discussion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Via GCC:
SunLine adds first electric buses to fleet; BYD
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/sunline-adds-first-electric-buses-to-fleet-byd.html

SunLine Transit Agency, which serves more than 3.5 million passengers annually in the Coachella Valley* in California, has added its first all-electric buses, manufactured by BYD.

The 40-ft low-floor transit buses are equipped with BYD-designed and -built iron phosphate batteries, delivering 324 kWh of power that come with a 12 year warranty . . . The batteries can run for up to 155 miles of typical urban driving on the service routes with recharging requiring only four hours.

The buses seat 35 and have room for more than 60 standing passengers. The transit agency began testing the vehicle on service routes in January. . . .

*Since approximately the age of 8, every time I see or hear the words "Coachella Valley" I mentally add on "and the Carrot Festival therein?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFNTfWsQrQ

"Bully for Bugs", one of my all-time favorites.

Sad day for the hydrogen dreamers... all this yummy government money, and almost ALL of it goes to EVs... at least 56 EV buses, and a paltry 3 Hydrogen Fuel Cell buses:

http://insideevs.com/seven-electric-and-fuel-cell-bus-projects-granted-by-fta-for-total-22-5-million/

The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal TransitAdministration (FTA) has announced a new round of alternative energy grants.

TOTAL $22,500,000

CA LACMTA under Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) will receive $4,275,000 toward five battery-electric zero-emission buses, as well as eight charging stations. This electric bus infrastructure will serve the Metro Orange Line bus rapid transit corridor in the City of Los Angeles. LACMTA will also partner with the Southern California Regional Transit Training Consortium to include workforce development in support of zero-emission technology. $4,275,000

CA Foothill Transit under Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG) Foothill Transit will receive $1,310,000 toward electric charging facilities that will support the agency’s ongoing electric bus program, which includes an electric-only bus line. This program will help expand Foothill Transit’s electric bus capabilities. $1,310,000

CA AC Transit Under the Metropolitan Transportation Commission Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) will receive $1,551,611 toward five battery-electric buses and related equipment. AC Transit has experience deploying zero-emission buses, including battery-electric buses and fuel cell electric buses. This project will expand AC Transit’s clean vehicle infrastructure in addition to providing valuable data comparing battery-electric to fuel cell technology. $1,551,611

OH Stark Area Regional Transit Authority The Stark Area Regional Transit Authority (SARTA) will receive $4,015,174 toward three zero-emission American Fuel Cell Buses (AFCBs). This project will build on SARTA’s successful, existing fuel cell bus program, which has already established hydrogen fuel cell infrastructure and will soon deploy five AFCBs in Stark County. $4,015,174

PA Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) will receive $2,585,075 toward the purchase of 25 zero-emission all-electric buses and related equipment. These vehicles will be deployed on bus routes in South Philadelphia, and an associated workforce development program will further contribute to the project’s economic impact. $2,585,075

UT Utah Transit Authority (UTA) The Utah Transit Authority (UTA) will receive $5,427,100 toward five battery-electric zero-emission buses. Partnering with the University of Utah, these buses will serve the route connecting the campus to Salt Lake City. This program builds on UTA’s extensive commitment to low and no-emission vehicles and technology. $5,427,100

WA King County King County Metro will receive $3,336,040 toward eight battery-electric zero-emission buses, which will allow two routes to be operated using entirely zero-emission vehicles. $3,336,040

I particularly like AC Transit's award:

CA AC Transit Under the Metropolitan Transportation Commission Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) will receive $1,551,611 toward five battery-electric buses and related equipment. AC Transit has experience deploying zero-emission buses, including battery-electric buses and fuel cell electric buses. This project will expand AC Transit’s clean vehicle infrastructure in addition to providing valuable data comparing battery-electric to fuel cell technology.
Oh, the three FCEV buses going to Stark County (Greater Canton area), Ohio add to the five they've already got on order. I gather their service area is pretty large and their fleet a medium size (80 buses. By comparison, AC Transit has 586 per Wiki), so it makes sense to buy buses with the capability to be used on all routes interchangeably. Larger fleets can afford to specialize a bit, and all the other awards Tony listed seem to be restricting their BEV buses to only a few routes, often just one or two. I do like that Los Angeles County will be using theirs on a BRT line (with charging stations along it).

Via GCC:
Proterra boosts capacity of Catalyst XR battery pack 28% to 330 kWh with new design, same volume as predecessor
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160516-proterra.html

Battery-electric bus manufacturer Proterra announced a new battery pack design for the Proterra Catalyst XR transit vehicle at the American Public Transportation Association Bus and Paratransit Conference (APTA). Within the same volumetric footprint as that in the original Catalyst XR, the new energy storage system now holds 28% more energy at 330 kWh.

All current Catalyst XR customers that are still waiting on their buses to be delivered will receive a complimentary upgrade to the higher energy level. . . .

GRA said:
Via GCC:
Proterra boosts capacity of Catalyst XR battery pack 28% to 330 kWh with new design, same volume as predecessor
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160516-proterra.html

Battery-electric bus manufacturer Proterra announced a new battery pack design for the Proterra Catalyst XR transit vehicle at the American Public Transportation Association Bus and Paratransit Conference (APTA). Within the same volumetric footprint as that in the original Catalyst XR, the new energy storage system now holds 28% more energy at 330 kWh.

All current Catalyst XR customers that are still waiting on their buses to be delivered will receive a complimentary upgrade to the higher energy level. . . .
Thanks for that link. Once again we see NMC li-ion batteries enabling BEVs to tackle real-world applications.

One thing I find interesting here is that the new battery enables a range of 194 miles:
Green Car Congress said:
Longest nominal range: capable of traveling a maximum of 194 miles (312 km) on a single charge, based on Altoona efficiency measures. Actual mileage will vary with route conditions.
Contrast this with what I had quoted in the OP:
RegGuheert said:
TreeHugger.com said:
This milestone is important because once you pass the average driving range needed in a day by a bus, with a margin of safety on top, electric buses become ready for the big time:
Based on these test results, Proterra predicts its ten pack XR configuration (321kWh) will achieve 300 miles on a single charge. According to available General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) data, typical urban and rural bus routes in the United States run less than 200 miles a day, bringing most routes within reach of Proterra’s current technology.
In other words, eight months ago, 321 kWh would propel these buses 300 miles, but today 330 kWh takes them less than 2/3 the distance: 194 miles. Of course, the difference is that the test done eight months ago was achieved in ideal conditions while the 194-mile number is what they are willing to put on the datasheet for more-real-life situations when you need climate control for passengers. In other words, the hype is being replaced by reality. I see this as a good sign that these buses are ACTUALLY entering the market for good.

But the fact is that real-world range will likely be quite a bit shorter in very cold conditions, so it seems these buses will be a bit shy of the range needed for even the "typical urban and rural bus routes in the United States". But since the Catalyst XR buses support quick charging, I wonder if they will be able to make up any shortfall with operational considerations.

RegGuheert said:
<snip> Thanks for that link. Once again we see NMC li-ion batteries enabling BEVs to tackle real-world applications.

One thing I find interesting here is that the new battery enables a range of 194 miles:
Green Car Congress said:
Longest nominal range: capable of traveling a maximum of 194 miles (312 km) on a single charge, based on Altoona efficiency measures. Actual mileage will vary with route conditions.
Contrast this with what I had quoted in the OP:
RegGuheert said:
TreeHugger.com said:
This milestone is important because once you pass the average driving range needed in a day by a bus, with a margin of safety on top, electric buses become ready for the big time:
In other words, eight months ago, 321 kWh would propel these buses 300 miles, but today 330 kWh takes them less than 2/3 the distance: 194 miles. Of course, the difference is that the test done eight months ago was achieved in ideal conditions while the 194-mile number is what they are willing to put on the datasheet for more-real-life situations when you need climate control for passengers. In other words, the hype is being replaced by reality. I see this as a good sign that these buses are ACTUALLY entering the market for good.

But the fact is that real-world range will likely be quite a bit shorter in very cold conditions, so it seems these buses will be a bit shy of the range needed for even the "typical urban and rural bus routes in the United States". But since the Catalyst XR buses support quick charging, I wonder if they will be able to make up any shortfall with operational considerations.
Wouldn't en route QC defeat the purpose of hauling around that big battery? They've got the fast charge version for that. While I'm sure that they could top up a bit at the end of runs, unless those end points were shared with routes equipped with fast charge models the extra expense of building quick chargers would seem to blow TCO through the roof. Nevertheless, it is good to see that BEV buses are getting closer to being able to do a full day's running using only overnight charging at the barn.

Via GCC:
Indian tech company wins ITF innovation award for converting diesel buses into EVs
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/05/20160517-kpit.html

. . . The first electric bus retrofitted by KPIT was unveiled by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in December 2015. Two such retrofitted buses are currently operated by the Indian Ministry for Road Transport and Highways.

India currently has more than 1.2 million buses in operation, with 50,000 being added every year. Most use diesel engines that contribute significantly to air pollution in Indian cities. Each diesel bus emits 48 tonnes of CO2 per year on average. Replacing 5,000 diesel buses in Indian cities with electric buses would reduce diesel consumption by 95 million liters and save 238,000 tonnes of CO2.

Via GCC:
Marseilles putting first 12m electric bus into service
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160607-rtm.html

. . .The Irizar i2e, which will serve on line 82 / 82S in the French city, is the first 12m electric city bus in revenue service in France.

The Irizar i2e, powered by a 374 kWh battery pack, was designed to offer a range between 200 and 250 km (124 to 155 miles), with a single charge at the end of the day. After only five hours of charging, it is guaranteed to drive between 14 and 16 hours. . . .

Should we start a PHEV bus thread, for articles like this one? Via GCC:
Luxembourg bus operator orders five Volvo 7900 plug-in hybrid buses; ABB fast chargers
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160608-volvo.html

. . . The five buses and chargers will be delivered towards the end of this year; one of the bus chargers will be placed at the central station in Luxembourg. . . .

Volvo will be responsible for vehicle servicing including battery maintenance for a fixed monthly cost.

The Volvo 7900 Electric Hybrid can be powered by electricity for up to 70% of operating time, and offers 60% lower energy consumption than a corresponding diesel bus with 75–90% lower emissions of carbon dioxide compared with a conventional Euro 6 diesel bus . . . .

The ABB bus chargers [use an] inverted pantograph . . . on [the] roof of the bus. The modular design offers charging power of 150 kW, 300 kW or 450 kW. . . .

Another nail in the coffin of H2 for transport...

"AVTA (Antelope, Califonia) which serves 450,000 residents in the metro Los Angeles region, aims to become the first 100% electric public transit fleet in the country. It plans to take delivery of 85 BYD electric buses over the next five years.

The AVTA board has unanimously approved the purchase of a wireless charging system from Utah-based WAVE (profiled in the March/April 2016 issue of Charged). The WAVE system provides en-route charging using a pad embedded directly into the roadway, extending the fleet’s range to cover the agency’s longest rural routes."

Obviously, they are just waiting for those extra special hydrogen busses ;-)

TonyWilliams said:
Another nail in the coffin of H2 for transport...

"AVTA (Antelope, Califonia) which serves 450,000 residents in the metro Los Angeles region, aims to become the first 100% electric public transit fleet in the country. It plans to take delivery of 85 BYD electric buses over the next five years.

The AVTA board has unanimously approved the purchase of a wireless charging system from Utah-based WAVE (profiled in the March/April 2016 issue of Charged). The WAVE system provides en-route charging using a pad embedded directly into the roadway, extending the fleet’s range to cover the agency’s longest rural routes."

Obviously, they are just waiting for those extra special hydrogen busses ;-)
If BEV buses can do the job at the lowest TCO, then by all means. AVTA apparently serves Lancaster and Palmdale. Judging by the system map the routes are fairly short, and cold weather obviously isn't a problem, so this seems a very good match for BEV buses.

GRA said:
If BEV buses can do the job at the lowest TCO, then by all means. AVTA apparently serves Lancaster and Palmdale. Judging by the system map the routes are fairly short, and cold weather obviously isn't a problem, so this seems a very good match for BEV buses.

Plus they have in-the-ground inductive charging at the bus stops.

All very simple with "today" technology. Sorry Charlie, but hydrogen isn't going to take this market over from EVs. There was a window of opportunity, and it appears to have all but closed (except for grossly subsidized hydrogen programs).

Municipal buses (even in cold areas) can easily be upgraded for longer range... bio fuel cabin heaters, insulation around the heated batteries, maybe slightly larger packs to get the same job done as the summer months.

Any bus district could put a quick charger on every street corner for the price of just the maintenance on one hydrogen facility.

TonyWilliams said:
GRA said:

Plus they have in-the-ground inductive charging at the bus stops.

All very simple with "today" technology. Sorry Charlie, but hydrogen isn't going to take this market over from EVs. There was a window of opportunity, and it appears to have all but closed (except for grossly subsidized hydrogen programs).

Municipal buses (even in cold areas) can easily be upgraded for longer range... bio fuel cabin heaters, insulation around the heated batteries, maybe slightly larger packs to get the same job done as the summer months.

Any bus district could put a quick charger on every street corner for the price of just the maintenance on one hydrogen facility.
Uh, you've seen the cost figures that would prove that? And the TCOs on both techs? ISTM that most transit operators and the manufacturers are still at the real-world data-gathering stage. Both techs remain immature with a lot of long term unknowns, FCEVs more so. It's unquestionably true that BEVs are more suited when the range is less, and FCEVs are at their best at longer ranges, simply because of the way weight increases on both of them. With BEVs, more range takes a lot more weight, less range less. With FCEVs (as with liquid fueled ICEs), most of the weight is in the power systems, and adding more fuel adds relatively little. So, for local bus runs, as long as a BEV has the necessary performance it's the go to choice. For long distance runs, with high speeds, few stops and short dwell times, the FCEV is currently superior.

I agree about the fuel-fired heaters, though, that would certainly help BEV buses (and BEVs in general) in cold climates, and I can't figure out why no manufacturer (other than Volvo IIRR) has offered this on a BEV, bus or other. Whether it would give BEV buses the range to deal with long, cold and/or steep rural routes and have lower TCOs, who knows? No one here does, unless you have access to cost figures that the rest of us don't.

What's the cost of adding bigger packs, just for winter? That's a lot of capital sitting around most of the year, so you might want it on the buses year round, but that adds to capital and maintenance costs (batteries being heavy, more drivetrain and suspension wear, more powerful motor needed for same performance etc. etc.).

None of the current gen of BEV/PHEV/FCEV buses have been in revenue service for an entire lifetime, so all the TCO claims for them remain predictions instead of fact, barring a turn-key contract like the one that Volvo recently signed with a transit agency in Luxembourg. In that case, all the TCO risk is on Volvo, as the agency is just paying a fixed monthly cost for the use of 5 PHEV buses for a certain period of time, and it's up to Volvo to make sure they provide the number required, do all the maintenance etc. If Volvo's predictions are wrong, they take a bath. Luxembourg has been using Volvo HEV buses since 2011, so moving to PHEVs is a pretty small risk. It's claimed that up to 70% of the running can be on batteries, with chargers (roof mounted pantographs for the connection) located at the ends of routes.

I don't know that any BEV or FCEV bus manufacturer has enough knowledge now that would give them the confidence to offer such a package - is anyone aware of such a contract?

BTW, does anyone know if BYD's "12 year" battery warranty includes capacity? I've never seen this confirmed, and AFAICT it's just parts and materials. ISTM that the most important issue for BEV bus TCO is whether or not the pack can last the 12 year lifetime of the average transit bus or whether you need at least one pack replacement, and the cost of same. Ditto for the stack in an FCEV.

TonyWilliams said:
The BYD bus that I rode in London two years ago had liquid cabin heater (diesel, I believe).
Somewhat defeats the purpose, although it's far better than having the bus itself run on the stuff.. Bio-diesel, maybe, but better yet something cleaner emissions-wise, say CNG. OTOH, if you can re-charge on the route, you may be able to do without the auxiliary heater.

(Bio)-diesel would be okay for long-range BEV cars, as they'll only need the auxiliary heat on long cold trips instead of in built-up urban areas. Ethanol might also be an option. I expect the biggest problem with cars, aside from space considerations, would be that if the heater was an option crash testing would have to be performed both with and without it and its fuel, boosting the cost. I suspect it would still be cheaper and less space/weight intensive than a bigger battery pack, at least for this and maybe the next generation of BEVs.

Via GCC:
BYD announces its first 16 electric buses sold in France; RATP trial; expanding capacity in China
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/06/20160619-byd.html

. . . BYD also announced a six-month trial with Paris operator RATP and unveiled its 12 meter single deck bus—displayed for the first time in France. BYD is the world’s largest manufacturer of battery-electric buses, having produced 10,000 units so far.

BYD France’s first customer is B.E. Green of Yvelines near Paris which has ordered three BYD pure electric coaches and one 12m BYD ebus to add to its 100% electric fleet. The Nedroma Group of Athis Mons, also close to Paris, has ordered 12 BYD electric coaches—the largest order so far for this new model from a Western customer. . . .

RATP trial. The bus will begin operation with RATP in September this year and will run until February 2017—so spanning the extremes of hot and cold temperatures in the French capital. The trial will include operation on routes 21 and 147.

From 2020, all public transport organizations in France will have to purchase at least 50% clean vehicles in their fleet renewal plans. The Project “Bus 2025” consists of the renewal of the complete RATP fleet to clean vehicles. Several milestones are in place to achieve this by 2025 when the fleet should consist of 80% electric buses and 20% CNG buses.

The plan concerns the entire RATP bus network in Île-de-France—one of the largest in the world. It contains 350 lines and transports each year 1.1 billion passengers with a fleet consisting of 4,500 vehicles. Buses represents 50% of the carbon footprint of the RATP. . . .
The interactive route map for RATP is here: http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/cartebus.php?lang=uk

I can find Route 21, but not 147; there is a Route 47.

Via GCC:
ABB wins 1st commercial order for 600 kW 15-second flash charging technology; electric buses in Geneva
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/07/20160715-abb.html

. . . ABB will deliver and deploy 13 flash-charging stations along an urban transit bus route, as well as three terminal and four depot feeding stations. . . .
So, 2.5kWh per 15 sec. charge. I wonder how far that will take a bus? According to the article, they use a stationary battery at each charging site to reduce the momentary load on the grid, as well as "a further 4 to 5 minute charge at 400kW at the terminus of the line" to get a full charge. That would add 26 2/3 to 33 1/3 kWh.

Back