iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a vgate icar3 bluetooth that had problems getting it to connect to your iphone? I can get it to pair just fine with my kindle fire (android) and use leafspy lite, but since I paid $20 for LeafSpy Pro on ios I would like to get it working on there with my iphone 6 running ios 9 if possible.

The phone doesn't see the icar3 at all when searching for bluetooth devices, so I tried downloading the Accurate app from vgate. It finds the icar3 and tries to connect, but gets about halfway through before stopping and saying it can't connect. I've tried restarting my phone, unplugging the icar3, turning bluetooth off/on, tried with an iphone 5, tried with an ipad mini, and none of them can connect to it. When it's in the middle of trying to connect using the Accurate app, if I go to bluetooth settings in ios it shows up under devices as connected, but it never asks for a passcode and I can't click on the device to do anything.

I guess the other options is return the icar3 to Amazon and get an LE Link or something.

jonnyg said:
Anyone have a vgate icar3 bluetooth that had problems getting it to connect to your iphone? I can get it to pair just fine with my kindle fire (android) and use leafspy lite, but since I paid $20 for LeafSpy Pro on ios I would like to get it working on there with my iphone 6 running ios 9 if possible..

Try actually running Leafspy Pro and it might find it automatically, it doesn't pair from the iOS system menus like normal bluetooth 2.0 does.
If it still doesn't show there there's another app called testblue or bluelight or something like that which scans for bluetooth 4.0 devices. If it shows up with that app but not Leafspy Pro you might need to update versions or ask Turbo3 (the author) to get the beta test version which might support devices not yet in the official release yet.

Let me know if/when you get it working, if you let it sleep (power down the car and go away half an hour or more) whether it works again when you power on. SalisburySam using an iCar3 wifi said his reconnects on every power up of the car, but I had no luck with a BT4.0 version, it stayed asleep on restarting the car, requiring an unplug/replug to make it re-show. Royal PITA. Because of that I sent it back, thinking of getting an LELink (never sleeps?) instead, or just one of those wifi ones with a power switch, you have to turn it off/on manually unless you want it drawing power all the time, but at least better than having to yank and replug every time. iCar2 wifi also goes to sleep to and doesn't rewake, the power button does nothing on that, the seller just refunded me rather than pay to ship it back. I asked a couple of Amazon sellers about the iCar3 WiFis they were selling and got conflicting info, one said you have to un/replug each time, the other (in broken english) said it starts when you start the car. So not sure if I will be as lucky as SalisburySam even if I got an iCar3 wifi. He also has a 2012 SL vs a 2013 SV that I have, so that might also be another variable. What do you have?

Don

donyjunk said:
jonnyg said:
Anyone have a vgate icar3 bluetooth that had problems getting it to connect to your iphone? I can get it to pair just fine with my kindle fire (android) and use leafspy lite, but since I paid $20 for LeafSpy Pro on ios I would like to get it working on there with my iphone 6 running ios 9 if possible..

Try actually running Leafspy Pro and it might find it automatically, it doesn't pair from the iOS system menus like normal bluetooth 2.0 does.
If it still doesn't show there there's another app called testblue or bluelight or something like that which scans for bluetooth 4.0 devices. If it shows up with that app but not Leafspy Pro you might need to update versions or ask Turbo3 (the author) to get the beta test version which might support devices not yet in the official release yet.

Let me know if/when you get it working, if you let it sleep (power down the car and go away half an hour or more) whether it works again when you power on. SalisburySam using an iCar3 wifi said his reconnects on every power up of the car, but I had no luck with a BT4.0 version, it stayed asleep on restarting the car, requiring an unplug/replug to make it re-show. Royal PITA. Because of that I sent it back, thinking of getting an LELink (never sleeps?) instead, or just one of those wifi ones with a power switch, you have to turn it off/on manually unless you want it drawing power all the time, but at least better than having to yank and replug every time. iCar2 wifi also goes to sleep to and doesn't rewake, the power button does nothing on that, the seller just refunded me rather than pay to ship it back. I asked a couple of Amazon sellers about the iCar3 WiFis they were selling and got conflicting info, one said you have to un/replug each time, the other (in broken english) said it starts when you start the car. So not sure if I will be as lucky as SalisburySam even if I got an iCar3 wifi. He also has a 2012 SL vs a 2013 SV that I have, so that might also be another variable. What do you have?

Don
Tried running LeafSpy Pro, it doesn't see it. I'm on v1.2.5 from the app store, so maybe that's the problem. I downloaded a bluetooth scanner app and it found it right away. Perhaps I need the most up to date beta version like you said.

It does seem to stay asleep when restarting the car, I had to unplug/replug to find it again with the bluetooth scanner app. Definitely a PITA. I'll probably do the same and get the LELink or a wifi one. I mostly got it to check out the battery of the used Leaf I just bought, but now that I have it I can see the benefit of having it plugged in and run it whenever I want to check on stuff.

I've got a 2013 SL.

I'd really like to get my LeafSpy working again but, as mentioned earlier, I've had two LELinks go bad after just a few hours of use. The Bluetooth name of the device changed and they could no longer be read by LeafSpy or any other application. They just kept flashing red.

Has there been enough evidence of successful use that I should consider attempting to buy a 3rd unit? I need something as I'm back to a fairly long commute and need the extra data at the end of the charge.

There does appear to be mixed success with iOS/bluetooth/LeafSpy installs. I've been monitoring the reports on this forum, waiting for consistent successes. Is there a combination of dongle, LeafSpy app, iOS version/phone that has proven to be consistent in connection recognition, startup, dongle quality, etc, etc? Reviews of the LELinks on Amazon have been somewhat inconsistent also.

If we purchased LeafSpy Pro for iOS and I now have an android phone for more permanent use in the Leaf, do we have to purchase the pro version again for android?

Thanks
Steve

I'm happy with my setup. iOS 9.2.1, LS Pro 1.2.10, adapter is "OBD2,Onshowy Super Mini WIFI OBD II Car Scanner Tool With Power Switch"
veepeak has one too that looks identical, same price, probably works the same. Not bluetooth. With the LELink possible QC issues, the iCar 3 auto off (and no on switch) I've decided to pass on the bluetooth 4.0 options for now despite potential upsides. Turbo3 a few weeks back mentioned he has tried the Xtool but it's not a standard generic ELM so nothing working on that yet. But would be nice if that worked since it costs a good deal less than the other BT 4.0 options.

I have left the Onshowy wifi on in my leaf for about a month, didn't kill my 12v battery, but I drive nearly every day, not sure what would happen if I left it on 2 weeks plus on a vacation say. It does have an easy off button (membrane bubble switch) which seems to work pretty well. Only down side, if I leave it on in the car, I have to remember to switch wifi networks on my phone manually when I get home, or it continues to connect to the wifi_obdii instead of my home wifi, and use my phone data plan for everything. If only they could make the signal weaker.

Marktm said:
There does appear to be mixed success with iOS/bluetooth/LeafSpy installs. I've been monitoring the reports on this forum, waiting for consistent successes. Is there a combination of dongle, LeafSpy app, iOS version/phone that has proven to be consistent in connection recognition, startup, dongle quality, etc, etc? Reviews of the LELinks on Amazon have been somewhat inconsistent also.

steveclv said:
If we purchased LeafSpy Pro for iOS and I now have an android phone for more permanent use in the Leaf, do we have to purchase the pro version again for android?

Thanks
Steve
If you go from Android to iOS and purchase from Play Store Google allows me to refund the Android version.

Unfortunately if you go the other direction from iOS to Android Apple does not give the developer the option to cancel the order from iTunes. I don't even see individual orders like I do from Play Store.

AlanSqB said:
I'd really like to get my LeafSpy working again but, as mentioned earlier, I've had two LELinks go bad after just a few hours of use. The Bluetooth name of the device changed and they could no longer be read by LeafSpy or any other application. They just kept flashing red.

Has there been enough evidence of successful use that I should consider attempting to buy a 3rd unit? I need something as I'm back to a fairly long commute and need the extra data at the end of the charge.
I bought two LELinks and both are still working. A flashing Red light does sound bad.

An app needs to support Bluetooth 4.x LE for it to be able to work with the LELink or any other Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapter.

The latest test version of LeafSpy Pro supports the following Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters. Be sure it says it supports iOS as some are available in the older Bluetooth versions not supported by iOS.

- Vgate iCar 3 Bluetooth 4.0 (not 3.0!)
- H580
- PLX KiWi 3
- Viecar
- LELink

Hi, thanks for all the advice Turbo3. However, do you have any idea why the LeafSpy Pro support sheet recommends a WiFi adaptor over a Bluetooth, yet the James Pollock article recommends the converse? Thanks again

Dearns said:
Hi, thanks for all the advice Turbo3. However, do you have any idea why the LeafSpy Pro support sheet recommends a WiFi adaptor over a Bluetooth, yet the James Pollock article recommends the converse? Thanks again
Not sure what you mean by "support sheet".

When LeafSpy Pro for iOS first came out last year it only supported WiFi OBDII adapters. The cheap ELM327 Bluetooth adapters used on the Android version of LeafSpy do not work with iOS so it was not a case of not recommending Bluetooth they just would not work with iOS.

Now that Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters are available and iOS supports them they are the recommend OBDII adapter, specifically the LELink. Bluetooth 4.x LE does not need the pairing step which allows the iOS version of LeafSpy Pro to automatically connect when the app is run.

donyjunk said:
I'm happy with my setup. iOS 9.2.1, LS Pro 1.2.10, adapter is "OBD2,Onshowy Super Mini WIFI OBD II Car Scanner Tool With Power Switch"
veepeak has one too that looks identical, same price, probably works the same.

Thanks, useful feedback.
This one I'm considering from Vastm looks identical too.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vastm-WIFI-Scanner-Diagnostic-Smartphone/dp/B01DIJRTA8/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3188NTS0U8JCI
(The Onshowy one not available via Amazon to Canada but the Vastm is. No reviews on it so not overly eager to spend time seeing if it is a dependable product.)

macnut said:
donyjunk said:
veepeak has one too that looks identical, same price, probably works the same.

Thanks, useful feedback.
This one I'm considering from Vastm looks identical too.
https://www.amazon.ca/Vastm-WIFI-Scanner-Diagnostic-Smartphone/dp/B01DIJRTA8/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A3188NTS0U8JCI
(The Onshowy one not available via Amazon to Canada but the Vastm is. No reviews on it so not overly eager to spend time seeing if it is a dependable product.)
Unless you are running on an iPhone 4 or an iPad 2 which does not support Bluetooth 4.x LE I see no reason to use a Wifi OBDII adapter when a Bluetooth 4.x LE adapter is so much better and supported by Apple. Whereas WiFi OBDII adapters are not really support by Apple and Apple is slowly limiting the use of WiFi for anything but network connection (beta iOS 9 originally blocked an app from even seeing the network SSID so LeafSpy could not even tell if there was a WiFi OBDII adapter). Background running, which worked in the past, is no longer supported on the newer iOS. You also need to manually select the OBDII adapter WiFi network each time you start LeafSpy. Much higher power operation compared to Bluetooth 4.x LE.

Feature request:

On the summary page, you show a live readout of the actual energy consumption as a number: #V x #A = #kW.

It would be nice to also have a live readout of the actual DTE based on the current consumption and your speed rather than from the average mi/kWh. It would allow you to determine at a glance how far you can really continue driving on the highway before you need to stop to charge.

Ideally, it would be nice to have both of these values also in the bar graph so you can quickly see everything at a glance.

Hi,

Need some help please.

I am trying to use v1.3.12 on an iphone 5S (iOS 9.0.2) with a 4.0 Bluetooth adapter but it seems leafspy only wants to search for wifi adapters. I don't see anything in the setup which sets this specifically.

Cheers..

Turbo3 said:
Now that Bluetooth 4.x LE OBDII adapters are available and iOS supports them they are the recommend OBDII adapter, specifically the LELink. Bluetooth 4.x LE does not need the pairing step which allows the iOS version of LeafSpy Pro to automatically connect when the app is run.

I've experienced the "4.x" requirement using the HM-10 bluetooth/arduino module for iphone app communications (rather than the HC-05). What other determinants are there for LeafSpy link up?

I'd like to try a new?? OBDII dongle;
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...em&hash=item4890bf25b7:g:-AYAAOSwqfNXmyxa

Feature request: split screen ability with Android 7.0 so Waze on one side and LeafSpy Pro on other.

Using Nexus 6p with Nougat and Konnwei Bluetooth

Thanks for a really useful app!

Back