Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it is shaping up nicely against the competition. I respect Hyundai but not a fan, but would definitely consider it over the current Leaf. I like the more or less conventional looks. Hopefully deep discounts are just around the corner...

Not-very-enthusiastic review of the ioniq hybrid, especially as compared to the BEV:

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid review - big on economy, short on fun

What’s it like to drive?

We drove the Ioniq Hybrid after the electric model, and the comparison wasn’t flattering for the hybrid. Sporty dual-clutch transmission or not, the hybrid is neither as quick, nor as responsive, and certainly not as seamless as the full electric model. It all feels a bit noisy, vibratory and unsophisticated in fact. In isolation, or after driving most conventional petrol or diesel cars, the Ioniq Hybrid would feel perfectly civilised, but electric cars do have a habit of making combustion equivalents feel a bit prehistoric...

...for us, the Ioniq Electric is more of a driver’s car than the Ioniq Hybrid...
http://www.evo.co.uk/hyundai/18365/hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-review-big-on-economy-short-on-fun

For those of you suffering from battery capacity loss anxiety...

From a promotional email:

...Imagine yourself with no worries and miles of peace of mind. Hyundai is the only manufacturer offering a Lifetime Battery Warranty on its hybrid vehicles, including the new IONIQ...
The fine print:

¹The Lifetime Battery Warranty applies to all U.S. 2017 model-year IONIQ vehicles. The Lifetime Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium-ion polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner. The Lifetime Battery Warranty excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).
I wonder what Hyundai means by "fails"...

edatoakrun said:
For those of you suffering from battery capacity loss anxiety...

From a promotional email:

...Imagine yourself with no worries and miles of peace of mind. Hyundai is the only manufacturer offering a Lifetime Battery Warranty on its hybrid vehicles, including the new IONIQ...
The fine print:

¹The Lifetime Battery Warranty applies to all U.S. 2017 model-year IONIQ vehicles. The Lifetime Battery Warranty ensures that if the lithium-ion polymer battery fails, Hyundai will replace the battery and cover recycling costs for the old battery free of charge to the original owner. The Lifetime Battery Warranty excludes coverage for vehicles placed in commercial use (e.g., taxi, route delivery, rental, etc.).
I wonder what Hyundai means by "fails"...
It seems pretty clear this is a 'parts and materials' warranty, not a capacity warranty, as degradation (unlike a bad cell) isn't 'failure'.

Still no news on when the USA deliveries will begin.

Norwegian review below seems quite positive, at least as translated by google...

Test of Hyundai IONIQ Electric: Highly efficient newcomer

Hyundai IONIQ has been criticized for having too small battery pack, but catch up with almost startling efficiency. In summer there is no great challenge to spend around one kilowatt at mila.

I'm usually always excited before a test, but it is something special when it comes a brand new model on the market. This time too because it's been a while since there was a new electric car on the market - and because of discussions about the size of the battery.

Could advance the hypothesis of efficient propulsion, partly as a result of good aerodynamics (Cd: 0.24) voice - and that it therefore would Duge good for longer trips? The short answer is yes.

It was almost as I did not believe in consumption figure even after having traversed the stretch Drammen Sigdal-Krødsherad Drammen, a distance of 152 km with varying topography. The number did in fact that the car was not too far away to live up to the rather fanciful NEDC test cycle.

The same test route was run the other Sunday with upgraded BMW i3. Also it was very effective , but IONIQ showed even better rates...

Here are also some of the essence of IONIQ: Top car at a reasonable price. The price tag challenge all the established leash and equipment list is the premium level. Here both filskifte- and blind spot warning, adaptive cruise control, DAB and more. On optional list stands EV relevant equipment as heat pump and battery heats...

a fine-tuned chassis and suspension setup, which offers much driving pleasure. Steering feel is fairly direct, and is well linked with the rest of the experience...

The skepticism of the battery pack size is, for the most part, unfounded. The reasons are obviously finding that IONIQ is as effective as it is, thereby coping well with the amount of energy available to it...
http://elbil.no/test-av-hyundai-ioniq-electric-svaert-effektiv-nykommer/

Yeah, people who have tested the car here in Norway, have generally been positive about it. Very energy-efficient as I understand it, and well-equipped. The Norwegian Hyundai-importer got hold of four BEV-cars which have toured the country between the dealers. The first deliveries to customers is expected to take place in November I believe.

kaiat said:
Yeah, people who have tested the car here in Norway, have generally been positive about it... The first deliveries to customers is expected to take place in November I believe.
The USA BEV delivery date was recently pushed back from fall to Winter:

Ioniq Electric
Charge from home or work. Never stop for gas.
Coming this winter.

Ioniq Hybrid
Electric power helps you go farther on a gallon.
Coming this winter.

Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Electric when you want it. Gas when you need it.
Coming next summer
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/ioniq/index.aspx

IIRC, that might be a delay for the PHEV as well?

An article about battery upgrade for the IONIQ EV - http://www.etnews.com/20161028000555

It states there will be a 50% increase in capacity in 2018.
An increase from 28kWh to between 40kWh and 44kWh. (I wonder why they didn't just say around 42kWh)

They state the range will increase from 191km to 320km (119 miles to 200miles). This is greater than a 50% increase. These numbers are on the Korean scale which is close to the EPA values. Not the European NEDC.

It also gives a higher number for fuel economy than was previously reported. 136MPGe

Am not sure why they would announce this upgrade so long in advance since it will hurt current sales. Perhaps the MY2017 will never be released in North America.

Meanwhile, back at the 2016 28kWh (available, we think) pack...

Looks like the max speed was ~35 mph, ambient temperature averaged about 77 F, and the whole drive took almost eight hours.

Increased efficiency means about 50% more range, with only ~33% greater available kWh than we had in our 2011 LEAFs.

“The Ministry of Environment officially approved that IONIQ electric’s mileage on a single charge is 191.2Km.
However, real mileage was confirmed to be 351.1Km, when it was tested.

IONIQ electric was driven at an average speed of 50Km/h (~31 mph) in a downtown like environment, using engine brake with 3-stage regenerative braking device.
Then, it recorded real mileage of 351.1Km, (~218 miles) which is higher than official mileage.

We drove around Hangang River four times, starting from Hyundai Autoway Tower Electric-car Charge Station.
As if it were in the middle of commuting, mileage was measured, while driving through downtown and congested areas, including Olympic highway and Gangbyeon highway.”
http://pushevs.com/2016/10/30/hyundai-ioniq-electric-range-test/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW56pVtWPJo

Earlier on this thread I wrote this:
JejuSoul said:
Even though the IONIQ EV and the Chevy Bolt both have LG Chem battery packs the pack structure and the actual cells seem to be quite different. (Note the word seem - it is very hard to get any accurate info about the battery pack from Hyundai)

The IONIQ EV has a battery pack by LG Chem.
It has 192 polymer pouch type cells laid out in a series string of 96 sets of 2 parallel cells.
The IONIQ EV battery pack is 31 kWh and weighs 271.8kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density = 114 Wh/kg

The Chevy Bolt also has a battery pack by LG Chem.
It has 288 polymer pouch type cells laid out in a series string of 96 sets of 3 parallel cells.
The 2017 Bolt battery pack is 60 kWh and weighs 435kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density = 138 Wh/kg

I now have to reconsider because it seems the Bolt has 60 kWh usable capacity not 60 kWh total capacity as I wrongly assumed.
Making a rough guess that the actual total capacity is 66kWh then
The 2017 Bolt battery pack is 66 kWh and weighs 435kg -> Gravimetric Energy Density ~ 150 Wh/kg
This makes the Bolt cells better than previously assumed. This value is for the pack. The Bolt EV has a liquid cooled pack, so it is heavier than a comparable air cooled pack. I assume now that the Bolt is using cells that have a roughly 50% better energy density than the Ioniq.

As I commented above next year the Ioniq EV will get a 50% increase in battery capacity. I assume they will fit into the same volume as the current battery pack. This makes sense when we see those better cells already exist, and are already in production. The puzzle is why did Hyundai use the inferior cell at all. Why not go straight to the new cell.

First user data from Norway is now available.

AppleKnocker, member of the elbilforum.no Norwegian EV community, tested the highway range of three different electric cars at 120 km/h constant speed. The outside temperature was 3º C, the climate system was set to 22º C and the road was practically flat.

The results he got are not surprising, but very interesting.

Hyundai IONIQ electric: 18 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 155 km range

2014 Nissan Leaf: 20,4 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 100 km range

2015 Tesla Model S: 21,5 kWh/100 km, corresponding to 350 km range

see - Hyundai IONIQ electric highway range

Impressive highway MPG of the hybrid (if ICEVs are of interest to you) suggests the BEV will also do well in highway efficiency and range.

We should know just how well, and be able to buy the BEV in only about a month, if the report below is correct.

Ioniq Hybrid achieves 58 mpg

Hyundai Motor Co. is gearing up to be a leader in fuel-efficient, hybrid vehicles starting later this year with its 2017 Ioniq family of vehicles.

The three-car lineup includes an all-electric, plug-in hybrid and a hybrid electric vehicle, or HEV, which will arrive by early next year with a combined miles per gallon of 58 — ousting the popular Toyota Prius Eco as hybrid mileage king...

The hybrid will have an EPA-certified 57 miles per gallon city and 59 miles per gallon highway, according to Hyundai. That compares to the Toyota Prius Eco at 58 mpg city and 53 mpg highway for a combined 56 mpg.

The all-electric Ioniq, which will begin arriving in dealerships by year’s end is expected to achieve a range of 124 miles, while Hyundai is not releasing details of the PHEV until closer to its launch in the third quarter of next year...
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/foreign/2016/11/10/hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-achieves-mpg/93618350/

If the ~110 mile EPA range is accurate, then the IONIQ is ~10% more efficient than the 30kWh Leaf. Which is pretty good!

NeilBlanchard said:
If the ~110 mile EPA range is accurate, then the IONIQ is ~10% more efficient than the 30kWh Leaf. Which is pretty good!
The actual (?) excellent EPA numbers:

2017 Hyundai Ioniq: Korean electrified trifecta

By Tony Swan, Contributing Editor on November 10, 2016 3:00 PM

...Hyundai predicts a maximum range of 124 miles—well short of Chevrolet’s 200-plus-mile claim for its new Bolt—but with a much higher fuel economy equivalency rating from the EPA: 134 MPGe city, 136 highway, versus 128/110...
http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-latest/2017-hyundai-ioniq-korean-electrified-trifecta/2100001440/

If that 136 mpge highway cycle efficiency is correct, I'd actually expect the Ioniq to get close to 110 miles of freeway range, travelling at ~70 mph at ~70 F.

And confirmation of a significantly larger battery pack to be available in ~ two years:

2017 Hyundai Ioniq, Company's First Dedicated Electrified Vehicle Platform Arrives In December

..Interestingly, all three variants will use forced-air cooling for the batteries. Despite that, Hyundai is confident enough in the durability of its batteries to offer a lifetime warranty just as it does with its current hybrids. Hyundai is also developing a liquid cooling system which will be used with an upgraded version of the Ioniq that has a range of more than 200-miles and is scheduled to launch in 2018...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/samabuelsamid/2016/11/11/2017-hyundai-ioniq-companys-first-dedicated-electrified-vehicle-platform-arrives-in-december/2/#6819bb023949

Seems Lotte Rental has just made a big order for the Ioniq EV. 6000 cars. That's the entire production run for the next 4 months.
http://view.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2016111514560501608

mug_obj_2016102111321jwqvg.png

The fat lady sings at the EPA, and as expected, the Ioniq is the most efficient EV available in the USA:

136 MPGe combined
150 122
city/hwy
25 kWh/100 mi
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=1984&year2=2017&vtype=Electric

It will be nice if Hyundai really lets you see all the payment options and the paperwork for your choice before you have to show up at the dealer:

Hyundai announces two more ways to get into an IONIQ Electric: ad-based car sharing and subscription ownership

At AutoMobility LA, Hyundai announced two new ways for drivers to get into the new IONIQ Electric: the “Ioniq Unlimited” electric vehicle subscription, and a partnership with car-sharing service Waivecar.

Under the “Ioniq Unlimited” electric vehicle subscription-based ownership experience, IONIQ Electric shoppers will be able to select one fixed payment that includes unlimited mileage, electric charging costs, scheduled maintenance, wear items and all typical purchase fees such as registration. The Ioniq Unlimited ownership experience begins availability in California in early 2017.

Ioniq Unlimited, besides offering a negotiation-free single-payment method, allows customers to select their exact vehicle from their preferred dealer’s inventory, choose a 24- or 36-month term, and preview their all-inclusive monthly payment online. Once they complete a credit application and are approved, they go directly to the dealership to complete the purchase. Once at the dealer, there’s no haggling; just sign a few forms and drive away in an advanced emissions-free electric vehicle. Hyundai tried to design the entire process to be the most transparent, stress-free and enjoyable ownership experience on the market today...
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161117-ioniq.html

Back