Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just learning about the Blue Tooth ODBII readers and was wondering how one identifies the newer versions from the older ones that I understand can cause excessive power draw when not actively in use. A lot of dongles out there for less than $10 so I guess the question is which ones are the "Good" ones or how does one tell the good from the bad for use with Android devices and the Leaf? Just spent about an hour stepping backwards through this thread and really did not hit upon anything one would consider a list of compatible dongles verified to work. I have a 2014 Leaf S that I would like to set up with something more in tune with it than my old Scan Gauge device which I have been using in my Ford F53 10 ton truck.

Turbo3 said:
No Android version of LeafSpy currently supports Bluetooth 4.x LE and the LELink.

However, I just released for testing in May the Android version of TM-Spy (used with Tesla Model S) with Bluetooth 4.x LE support. If that goes well I will update the Android versions of LeafSpy with the Bluetooth 4.x LE code.
How is TM-Spy testing going?

Any estimate on when Bluetooth 4.x LE code will be added to LEAF Spy and LEAF Spy Pro?

RockyNv said:
Just learning about the Blue Tooth ODBII readers and was wondering how one identifies the newer versions from the older ones that I understand can cause excessive power draw when not actively in use. A lot of dongles out there for less than $10 so I guess the question is which ones are the "Good" ones or how does one tell the good from the bad for use with Android devices and the Leaf? Just spent about an hour stepping backwards through this thread and really did not hit upon anything one would consider a list of compatible dongles verified to work. I have a 2014 Leaf S that I would like to set up with something more in tune with it than my old Scan Gauge device which I have been using in my Ford F53 10 ton truck.
See here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20809&hilit=turbo3+recommendation&sid=91a40c0bad3fc74cd1a46cccfabdddca#p441450

TimLee said:
RockyNv said:
See here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20809&hilit=turbo3+recommendation&sid=91a40c0bad3fc74cd1a46cccfabdddca#p441450

There appear to be two models recommended in that thread which is about 6 years old now however the links on your post that came up were for IOS and not Android. No new info on newer models that have improved since those were designed? A year is and eon of time for electronics and even after 6 month a thread could be considered to have reached Zombie status now.

So is it still the Sannysis V1.5 Mini ELM327 and BAFX Products 34t5 that appeared to be recommended for Android?

https://www.amazon.com/Sannysis-V1-...302&sr=8-1&keywords=Sannysis+V1.5+Mini+ELM327

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_wg=ldatF&psc=1&refRID=ZYTG9FEDKSSCNJAKTXJT

Some mention an extension cable as being required so you don't bang the long adapters hanging out from the dash. Any comments on how long a wire is required to set them out of the way?

Turbo3's App Store verbiage indicates that there is only one that still works correctly and is recommended, the Bluetooth Konnwei KW902:

https://www.amazon.com/KONNWEI-Blue...45808&sr=8-1&keywords=Bluetooth+Konnwei+KW902

RockyNv said:
There appear to be two models recommended in that thread which is about 6 years old now however the links on your post that came up were for IOS and not Android. ...
Not sure what you were reading.
My link was from Oct 2015.

It included links to two WiFi OBDII adapters.

Yes they were in iOS discussions because for a long time WiFi was all iOS could use.

Most Android users have been using Bluetooth adapters.
But about three years ago most of the Chinese produced product that claimed to meet a new standard did not and would not work.

The one unit that Turbo3 lists is currently the only one that will likely work.

So currently Android doesn't have too many options.
A single Bluetooth adapter that may work.
And the WiFi adapters.
There are more than the two I listed.

WiFi drawback for a long time was they were expensive (originally over $100).
Costs came down.
Now their drawback is power draw.

So on iOS Turbo3 has changed to low energy Bluetooth.
But he hasn't added that to Android yet.

Extension cable I use is about 2 1/2 feet.
I still need to put in clips to hold it.
For now I just leave my Bluetooth adapter laying in floor next to driver's door.

When I followed the links back to the sources of the original recommendations for the non-IOS models it brought me back to 2010 however it was late and I was tired then again here I am coming off a long work day dealing with systems issues and am unwinding here so I can go to sleep. Not a big IOS fan as I have to use an Iphone for work and its horrible in my regular business usage compared to the S3 or S5 Android that I use personally so I bypassed anything that was in the IOS specific thread.

The KONNWEI KW902 is only $10 and if its the compatibility leader then that's the way to go. Do the colors make any difference or are folks just that fashion conscious that basic black won't do for a utility device?

Leaf Spy Pro question.

In reviewing the Log file is Energy the amount of watts used per trip? So 13833 is 13.833 kWh used for a trip. Is there any part of the log that tells me my starting and ending kWh? I am trying to determine my electrical use at my new house since it has now doubled. I do have more appliances that run off electricity and not natural gas and I am having to charge the car to full each day after work instead of only charging at work. My average home usage was 23.6 kWh per day and now it is running 44.9 per day.

With my new rates switching from SMUD to PGE my price per kWh has almost tripled on average as well so I am now reassessing the cost of owning the EV or paying for gas. My commute is 80-85 miles per day. Using 23.405 kWh (if Energy) if the right column per day. With 2/3's coming from charging at home and the rest at work.

RockyNv said:
The KONNWEI KW902 is only $10 and if its the compatibility leader then that's the way to go. Do the colors make any difference or are folks just that fashion conscious that basic black won't do for a utility device?
I don't think the color matters.

I didn't see one at $10.
But some at $14.

TimLee said:
RockyNv said:
I don't think the color matters.

I didn't see one at $10.
But some at $14.

Check these out:

$10 with free shipping with no minimum order:

https://www.amazon.com/Konnwei-Blue...&qid=1477144047&sr=8-4&keywords=KONNWEI+KW902

https://www.amazon.com/KONNWEI-Blue...rd_wg=pIarS&psc=1&refRID=M8RJ3TKTBCMJFARNYC5V

$10.90 with free shipping on orders over $49:

https://www.amazon.com/KONNWEI-Blue...rd_wg=BPf1k&psc=1&refRID=7XV0WHJ5S0NEEMMRYTYN

co2112 said:
Leaf Spy Pro question.

In reviewing the Log file is Energy the amount of watts used per trip? So 13833 is 13.833 kWh used for a trip. Is there any part of the log that tells me my starting and ending kWh? I am trying to determine my electrical use at my new house since it has now doubled. I do have more appliances that run off electricity and not natural gas and I am having to charge the car to full each day after work instead of only charging at work. My average home usage was 23.6 kWh per day and now it is running 44.9 per day.

With my new rates switching from SMUD to PGE my price per kWh has almost tripled on average as well so I am now reassessing the cost of owning the EV or paying for gas. My commute is 80-85 miles per day. Using 23.405 kWh (if Energy) if the right column per day. With 2/3's coming from charging at home and the rest at work.

trip logs show EVERYTHING...

Hi I searched for an answer to this question but could not find an answer, so please forgive me if it is already answered somewhere.

I recently purchased Leaf Spy Pro version 38.80 and I'm having trouble saving the "Charging Power" screen data. At the bottom of the page there is only a "Load" button, not "Load/Save". Is there a setting I need to change?

On the drive history screen, I can save the speed/altitude data.

Thanks!

Desert1 said:
Hi I searched for an answer to this question but could not find an answer, so please forgive me if it is already answered somewhere.

I recently purchased Leaf Spy Pro version 38.80 and I'm having trouble saving the "Charging Power" screen data. At the bottom of the page there is only a "Load" button, not "Load/Save". Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks!

enable data logging. there is no save option. its saves everything.data logging.jpg

Desert1 said:

Thanks!
The charging data is automatically saved at the end of the charge. So no need for a separate save button.

Charge data has nothing to do with the Logging function on the Settings screen. Logging can be on or off makes no difference to saving charge data.

For LeafSpy Pro testers a new version is now available (0.38.89). It includes updates to the new Efficiency graph and a new transfer mode that should work with the Cyanogenmod versions of Android. This mode turns off streaming frames and uses a handshake way of transferring data. The down side is it is much slower than streaming.

Those running a version of Cyanogenmod please report back if this helps. The option is on the Settings/Options panel and is a checkbox labeled Cyanogenmod (may need to be in Landscape orientation to see the full label). It is best to disable Logging if you don't need it as Logging forces reading all 96 cell voltages even when not on screen 1 and that requires reading 29 frames which can take about 2 seconds in this mode.

I received what was supposed to be the ODBII extension cables Wednesday but the package did not feel right. There were two Glock 27/28/33/39 Grip and Magazine extenders inside instead. Amazon immediately refunded my purchase and I donated the Magazine Extenders to the Security Office where I am employed. I am glad I had not sent them as gifts directly to relatives.

Hi

Can anybody explain me how does the LeafSpy Pro calculate power?
Is it like that:

Motor Pwr = 2 * Pack Volt * Pack Amp + AUX Pwr + A/C Pwr

and here is related graph:

https://s18.postimg.org/t5ul57eop/equation_1.png

Why is it then multiply by 2?
Are there 2 paraller voltage sources, cause there are two columns with volts "HVolt1" and "HVolt2" ??? Then the power equation could be:

Motor Pwr = HVolt1 * Pack Amp + HVolt2 * PackAmp + AUX Pwr + A/C Pwr

and related graph:

https://s15.postimg.org/ugyb0znmj/eqaution_2.png

Even if it is correct there is still some mismatch between lines? How to explain that?

Thanks you Guys in advance!

mp

Since 0.38.38, I've noticed that LeafSpyPro seems to lose the connection to the dongle (using Android and this bluetooth v1.5 dongle). With 0.38.39, it seems to drop the connection constantly. When this first started happening, I thought it might be the Y adapter going bad or a problem with the OBD-II port, since it seemed to gradually go bad. Since I reverted back to 0.38.35 I've had a perfectly stable connection to the dongle.

Turbo3 said:
WisJim said:
nerys said:
there should be a specific spot on the screen to "invoke" the menu

either a hamburger button _ 3 of those stacked. or 3 dots ... somewhere

tap that to get into the menu.

Tapping the 3 dots does nothing in Leaf Spy Pro for me.

And I have to reboot everytime I want to get the menu.
What android device do you have? Does it have a recent apps key (overlapping rectangles)?

If it has the recent apps key then just hold it down to get the menu to display.

Does anything happen if you just hold down on the upper right corner of the screen?

What do you do now to get the menu to appear after a reboot?

I am still having this problem, haven't been able to access the menu at all, Any suggestions?

Jim

WisJim said:
Turbo3 said:
WisJim said:
Tapping the 3 dots does nothing in Leaf Spy Pro for me.

And I have to reboot everytime I want to get the menu.
What android device do you have? Does it have a recent apps key (overlapping rectangles)?

If it has the recent apps key then just hold it down to get the menu to display.

Does anything happen if you just hold down on the upper right corner of the screen?

What do you do now to get the menu to appear after a reboot?

I am still having this problem, haven't been able to access the menu at all, Any suggestions?

Jim

what size font are you using? because anything bigger than normal will cause everything to move around. the app does not adjust to these changes which is one of the primary reasons my LEAF Spy is on a separate phone. I pretty much have my regular phone on extra large everything

Hi folks! I'm wanting to use LeafSpy on my Leaf but I'm trying to figure out ask what I need.

I don't have an Android or Apple device. Will it work on an Android Emulator on a Windows Tablet (Surface 3)? If not, what device would be recommended (I have T-Mobile with a Nokia phone).

Is the Pro version worth it?

What OBD2 adapter is the best?

What else do I need?

Back