How To: Backup camera for S model with OE parts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info! I was able to successfully install the camera in my 2013 SV. I discovered during the installation that is not really necessary to replace the two wiring harnesses. Simply run 4 wires from the camera to the M21 connector in the left kick panel by the drivers seat. Like this:

Camera --------- M21 Connector

Red --------------> White Pin #24 (+6.2V)
Black ------------> Black Pin #25 (Common)
Yellow ----------> Red Pin #9 (Video)
White -----------> Black/Grey Pin #8 (Shield)

Then connect M21 Black Pin #7 (Camera Sense) to chassis ground.

That's all there is to it! Works like a charm.

Grounding Pin #7 lets the AV unit know that a camera is present. The AV unit detects when the car is in reverse and applies 6.2 volts to Pin #24 and this turns on the camera.

I did this on the SV. I expect it will work on the S as well.

Great info! I provided info in this thread( to local shop(919Motoring) here in Raleigh, NC and they were able to install the backup camera fine on my 2013 SV. Didn't need the harness, just provided the door handle, backup camera(28442-3NH0B) and mounting screws bought from NissanVillageParts.com

-Ram

Why 28442-3NH0B, not 28442-3NH2A? What is the difference between the two? The NVP web site says that both will fit, so how to choose between them?

Also, what is the part number for the mounting screws? I'm having trouble finding them on the NVP web site.

Thanks much.

ramtnc said:
Great info! I provided info in this thread( to local shop(919Motoring) here in Raleigh, NC and they were able to install the backup camera fine on my 2013 SV. Didn't need the harness, just provided the door handle, backup camera(28442-3NH0B) and mounting screws bought from NissanVillageParts.com

-Ram

Yodrak said:
Why 28442-3NH0B, not 28442-3NH2A? What is the difference between the two? The NVP web site says that both will fit, so how to choose between them?

Also, what is the part number for the mounting screws? I'm having trouble finding them on the NVP web site.

Thanks much.

ramtnc said:

-Ram

Regarding the camera part ending with B, other messages in the thread indicate it is wider field of view(and price difference is just ~$10 or so). It looks like wide field as I see it.

The camera screw part number is 01454-N5021
Hope this helps.

Yodrak said:

Thanks much.

ramtnc said:

-Ram

Regarding the camera part ending with B, other messages in the thread indicate it is wider field of view(and price difference is just ~$10 or so). It looks like wide field as I see it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

ramtnc said:

Hope this helps.

Re: Connections for OEM Rear View on 2013 Nissan Leaf SV

One thing I didn't confirm is after running the wires from the camera to the drivers side panel, are the connections at connector M21 tapped off existing wires or are there no wires in those connector pins that need to be connected to?

Also, does anyone know if the wires or cable used needs to be shielded?

Thanks!

Ok I figured it out. M21 has wires that need to be tapped into. I soldered and heat shrunk them. Worked like a charm

dflem said:
Thanks for the info! I was able to successfully install the camera in my 2013 SV. I discovered during the installation that is not really necessary to replace the two wiring harnesses. Simply run 4 wires from the camera to the M21 connector in the left kick panel by the drivers seat. Like this:

Camera --------- M21 Connector

Red --------------> White Pin #24 (+6.2V)
Black ------------> Black Pin #25 (Common)
Yellow ----------> Red Pin #9 (Video)
White -----------> Black/Grey Pin #8 (Shield)

Then connect M21 Black Pin #7 (Camera Sense) to chassis ground.

That's all there is to it! Works like a charm.

Grounding Pin #7 lets the AV unit know that a camera is present. The AV unit detects when the car is in reverse and applies 6.2 volts to Pin #24 and this turns on the camera.

I did this on the SV. I expect it will work on the S as well.

Worked like a charm and I didn't cut anything, I just tapped the needed wires.

Darn! That is a lot of work and taking apart of a perfectly good car!!

(PS - From years of experience, I HATE taking apart car trim unless there is an important problem. Trim never goes back right.. You always break things..)

I have the rear camera on my "S" and hate it. I think it is totally worthless, and it doesn't let me tune my radio when I am in reverse. When you go in reverse, you should be looking behind you to "both sides" to see if traffic is coming,.

Unless you drive a bus, The rear camera is an annoying waste of money..

powersurge: Wow.. I've never heard anyone ever say they didn't like their rear view camera.

I've had them in my last three vehicles, and put them in some friends because they wanted to have the view when backing up. Without a doubt, they make it safer from a damage perspective, as well as pedestrians.

Canada has recently added a law that makes them mandatory on new vehicles exactly for those reasons... and I support it 100%.

I am old school, and have always been aware that 80% of collisions are when in reverse.

Ok, I understand that rear cameras have a use to protect little children from being run over and such.

However, after seeing how my teenagers are with their fascination with tech, I wonder. When in reverse, they are glued to watching the rear view screen, but are oblivious to traffic and/ or pedestrians approaching from the sides...

I prefer to turn around 180 degrees and watch as I drive backwards, and look both ways for sideways traffic.

powersurge said:
... When you go in reverse, you should be looking behind you to "both sides" to see if traffic is coming, ...

That's why I always back into parking spaces and my garage - so that I am always facing and looking forward towards the traffic when pulling out. As I pull up to park I can see what's in and around the space in preparation for backing in, so no problem there but the camera provides an extra degree of safety.

Yodrat, I'm completely the same.. I back in when I can, (easy with a rear camera), and leaving is much saver. Plus, I have a dash cam, that can capture someone hitting me in the front.

I'm in the middle of installing a backup camera on my 2013 SL and found the same harness situation as CM - my Leaf has the appropriate hatch harness (24052-3NF0C) already. I have a body-to-hatch harness numbered 24051-3NF0C and need to replace it with 3NF0B.

Like CM I opted for the 3NH2A camera rather than the 3NH0B camera. If I understand correctly from another post in this thread, the 0B camera has a wider field of vision with a 'fish bowl' effect that I don't care for. However, there may be a problem with this substitution that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the posts - the 2A camera does not fill the opening in the housing. There is a gap of 1/16 inch between the bottom of the camera and the bottom of the opening in the housing, which could likely allow water to enter the housing directly above the latch switch. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to fill this opening with a sealant of some kind, or stuff a small piece of foam in there?

CarmineMac said:
I did the install on a 2013 SL. It already had the needed Hatch Harness in place, camera connector and all! You only need to replace the Body-to-Hatch Harness (24051-3NF0B) as described by OP, replace the old hatch handle with the Camera Housing (90606-3NF?B), and mount & connect the Camera (newly renamed 28442-3NH2A) as described by OP (with 2x 01454-N5021 screws). That's all!

Completed the install and I love having the backup camera. It works great, and I do like having the early type camera with a narrower field of vision but no 'fishbowl' effect.

I found that, in addition to having the correct hatch harness, my 2013 SL also has a front-to-rear harness with the necessary 5 wires to operate the camera so I did not have to run my own wires and splice them in as so many others had to do. The only wiring work I had to do was replace the hatch-to-body harness.

Yodrak said:
I'm in the middle of installing a backup camera on my 2013 SL and found the same harness situation as CM - my Leaf has the appropriate hatch harness (24052-3NF0C) already. I have a body-to-hatch harness numbered 24051-3NF0C and need to replace it with 3NF0B.

Like CM I opted for the 3NH2A camera rather than the 3NH0B camera. If I understand correctly from another post in this thread, the 0B camera has a wider field of vision with a 'fish bowl' effect that I don't care for. However, there may be a problem with this substitution that I haven't seen mentioned in any of the posts - the 2A camera does not fill the opening in the housing. There is a gap of 1/16 inch between the bottom of the camera and the bottom of the opening in the housing, which could likely allow water to enter the housing directly above the latch switch. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to fill this opening with a sealant of some kind, or stuff a small piece of foam in there?

I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have been meticulous in following the instructions. And THANK YOU for your time for posting this! I have a '13 SL with QC, Navigation and the larger screen, but no all-around view (no back up camera.). The car was originally delivered end of Feb. of that year if that makes any difference regarding anything.

I have purchased and installed the following parts according to the OP instructions.

Harness body/hatch - 24051-3NF0B
Harness Back Dr - 24052-3NF0B
Handle - 90606-3NF2B
Camera - 28442-3NH0B
Camera Screw - 01454-N5021

All installed just fine and very straight forward however, no camera view while in R. Bummer! Can someone with experience please be so kind to point me in the right direction to start the troubleshooting process? I am anxious to get my new toy working.

The correct hatch harness is 24052-3NF0C, not B. Perhaps you made a typo in your post? If not, my 2103 SL had the correct 'C' harness already, check that yours may also have had the correct harness to begin with.

Have you carefully inspected the large connector on the front-to-back body harness in the rear pillar, where the hatch-to-body harness plugs in? I was pleasantly surprised to find that mine had the pins and wires needed for the camera, but many people did not and had to run their own wires from front to back, splicing them into the body-to-hatch wiring and the corresponding connector at the front (under the trim panel in front of the driver's door by your left foot).

Brayne said:
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have been meticulous in following the instructions. And THANK YOU for your time for posting this! I have a '13 SL with QC, Navigation and the larger screen, but no all-around view (no back up camera.). The car was originally delivered end of Feb. of that year if that makes any difference regarding anything.

I have purchased and installed the following parts according to the OP instructions.

Harness body/hatch - 24051-3NF0B
Harness Back Dr - 24052-3NF0B
Handle - 90606-3NF2B
Camera - 28442-3NH0B
Camera Screw - 01454-N5021

All installed just fine and very straight forward however, no camera view while in R. Bummer! Can someone with experience please be so kind to point me in the right direction to start the troubleshooting process? I am anxious to get my new toy working.

Thank You. I DID get the B. All the plugs matched up with the B and it "appeared" to have the proper wiring but obviously it is not working. I will check the pins for sure. I may just buy the C and have a go at it.

Back