Clipper Creek HCS-40 - $430 shipped

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
powersurge said:
That price on a used item sounds high.
Not everything depreciates like a car. But really it's just supply and demand. Not many used ClipperCreek EVSEs are for sale but I imagine they are some of the most popular EVSEs.

I happen to think it's a good deal. Clipper Creek makes good stuff....

The hard wire version of the HCS-40 sells for $565 + tax, which is about $610 here. Shipping on Clipper Creek to me is about $17, so that makes the total about $627.

https://store.clippercreek.com/hcs-40-hcs-40p-ev-charging-station

Depending on where you live and the shipping that QueenBee is covering, that makes his EVSE about $410 to $415....

That's about a $210 savings, and I would call that a pretty good deal....Powersurge, what price would you expect it to be?

Must have been a good enough price as it sold to someone local for $400, no shipping. Though one thing I realized after selling it is I don't understand why anyone in the US would pay this much! The federal credit that expires this year only applies to new equipment. So either they are unaware of the credit completely or unaware that it only applies to new equipment. I feel bad that I didn't think of this before delivering it so I could have mentioned it.

FWIW I bought a Tesla HPWC and will put a J1772 on it until our Model 3 arrives. At $550 + the cost of the J1772 cord set - 30% credit it was too good of a deal to pass up in case the credit doesn't get renewed.

Well, speaking for myself...I've tried to take the 30% tax credit on two different EVSEs I've purchased in the past, and using TurboTax, I was not able to claim the credit due to the tentative minimum tax calculation...That same calculation is not applicable when buying a car and claiming the $7500 tax credit, but it got me twice with my EVSE purchases...

im kinda with powersurge on this.

typical resale on electronics and tools is 50-60% of retail.. not including the sales tax of shipping you paid.

assuming decent cosmetics and full function.

Clipper Creek maybe the best out there.. when you factor in quality, service.
so that is maybe the only reason to pay more.

EVSE's are terribly over priced for what they are.. because people believe they are chargers
not what they are.. a smart relay in a box with a cord attached.

The speed at which EVSE's are being obsoleted should not be ignored.
Many 16-20 Amp EVSE's being offered at new 2011 prices... to unsuspecting
folk ,

in two years.. will a 30 A EVSE be any different ?

Also, many EVSEs were bought with free money.
This has slammed the price of used leafs , and it should do so for EVSE's also.

of course this unit might last a lifetime.. and as long as it matches your car
its fine. Ultimately the $400 price met the needs of the seller and the buyer
and so .. there you go.

Back