NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't plan on upgrading, but would like to know if I can simply remove the old 2G unit, or in the minimum, disable it, as a power draw...? If someone happens to find out the physical location, I'm all ears...

Ok. I just came from my dealership. It took over an hour for them to figure out what was needed. I will say the service advisor I worked with was very helpful and did share some Nissan documentation on the process with me. Here is the pertinent process (from the Nissan document) you can go through to check on your modem to see if it is 2G or 3G.

-----

NOTE: Vehicles without Navigation are ineligible as they are not equipped with TCUs.

Verify applicability using one of the following methods:
1. Check vehicle service history for previous repair (PC449 or PC450).
2. Check the TCU ID number on the vehicle information screen. If the TCU ID begins
with something other than 2012, it is a 3G TCU and does not require an update.
To identify if the vehicle has a 2G or a 3G TCU, complete the following steps on the
head unit:
3. Press the hard button labeled Menu.
4. Press the "CARWINGS" soft button on the center display screen.
5. Press the "CARWINGS Settings" soft button on the center display screen.
6. Select the down arrow on the center display screen.
7. Press "Unit ID information" soft button on the center display screen.
8. If TCUID starts with "2012-1" it is a 3G device.
9. If TCUID starts with "2012-0" it is a 2G device.

NOTE: As indicated above, TCU IDs that begin with something other than 2012 are 3G
TCUs and do not require an update.

-----

Personal note. The note at the bottom was confusing to the service advisor and I. Mine started with "2012-9". So the service advisor called the 800 number in the Campaign Bulletin and quickly found out that mine is a 2G device. So the service advisor ordered the part (#283B0-3NF2A) required for my vehicle. There are two other part numbers in the Campaign Bulletin for vehicles based upon their production date. The part above is for vehicles produced 12/1/2012 thru 9/30/2015.

For other manufacture dates use the following:
09/20/2011 thru 11/30/2012 use part #283B0-3NA2A
11/01/2010 thru 09/19/2011 use part #283B0-3NA1A

If you want a copy of the Campaign Bulletin you can find it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108978910/2G%20Telematics%20Hardware%20Replacement.pdf

cliff said:
Also see from service manual that VIN needs to be programmed in.
Since I own the original, and this is not warranty repair, do I
get to keep the original?

Why would you want it? Even if you could figure out how to interface with it, it's still only 2G!

Will the cars Blutooth system still talk to my smartphone for in car phone calls? This should be a totally different network from the calls where the car calls the mothership as these calls are made off the phone.

Something I have thought about since this issue first came up.

WHY IS NISSAN ONLY UPDATING TO 3G????

What happens in the next year or so when the cell phone companies no longer support 3G and only have 4G/LTE or later generation?

If we have to upgrade why not use the latest technology so it can last longer?

I would love to hear from someone that understands these issues!!!

Graffi said:
Something I have thought about since this issue first came up.

WHY IS NISSAN ONLY UPDATING TO 3G????

What happens in the next year or so when the cell phone companies no longer support 3G and only have 4G/LTE or later generation?

If we have to upgrade why not use the latest technology so it can last longer?

I would love to hear from someone that understands these issues!!!

No one will dispute that an LTE modem would be the better long-term solution, but we're talking about a design team that originally chose 2G when 3G was the logical choice...so we may never know the answer.
The only thing I can think of (right now) is that 3G data service is probably cheaper than LTE--and Nissan is picking up the tab on the wireless service--so it's possible it was simply a business (bean counter) decision and not a technical one. Having said that, I'm not so sure that LTE data service costs that much more, but it is what it is.

Relayer1956 said:
Ok. I just came from my dealership. It took over an hour for them to figure out what was needed.
Yep, after your post yesterday that the dealer thought it was just a firmware upgrade, I knew that you'd be in for a surprise, since
the TCU computer hardware needs to be replaced and then Nissan Consult needs to be connected to program it.
Relayer1956 said:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/108978910/2G%20Telematics%20Hardware%20Replacement.pdf
Great! very helpful to have the actual text that the dealer is also going by.
I rather not waste my time at the dealer and they told me they are swamped with replacing these,
so I have requested to have mine ordered as spare part, pick it up and install it myself
since it sits right behind the glove box and nothing else needs to be replaced, just the TCU box.
Then I will only have to go to the dealer to have them program the new TCU with Nissan Consult.
Tomorrow I'll hear if they are up for this or require that they do all the work...
BTW, you can pick up an old 2G Telematics Unit from Ebay for about $10 in case you want to play around with it.
I even found the pics of the circuit board inside the 2G TCU on the FCC website:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33178064@N05/30810872984/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/33178064@N05/31506041942/

This is what I was shown as well. It's the 2012-9 that's messing them up.

Relayer1956 said:
Ok. I just came from my dealership. It took over an hour for them to figure out what was needed. I will say the service advisor I worked with was very helpful and did share some Nissan documentation on the process with me. Here is the pertinent process (from the Nissan document) you can go through to check on your modem to see if it is 2G or 3G.

-----

NOTE: Vehicles without Navigation are ineligible as they are not equipped with TCUs.

2. Check the TCU ID number on the vehicle information screen. If the TCU ID begins
To identify if the vehicle has a 2G or a 3G TCU, complete the following steps on the
head unit:

NOTE: As indicated above, TCU IDs that begin with something other than 2012 are 3G

-----

Personal note. The note at the bottom was confusing to the service advisor and I. Mine started with "2012-9". So the service advisor called the 800 number in the Campaign Bulletin and quickly found out that mine is a 2G device. So the service advisor ordered the part (#283B0-3NF2A) required for my vehicle. There are two other part numbers in the Campaign Bulletin for vehicles based upon their production date. The part above is for vehicles produced 12/1/2012 thru 9/30/2015.

Thank you for posting this Mike. It was really useful for me.

Relayer1956 said:

-----

head unit:

-----

I bit the bullet and ordered the upgrade. I intend to keep my Leaf around for a while, at least as a winter rat. And pre-heating in the winter is my primary use of the connectivity.

My service advisor told me that she thinks it's only a firmware update. I see I'm not the first to be told that. I simply told her that was "surprising" to me - I don't want to be the guy who says "well, I read on the internet that...". But I trust you guys more than her, so...

I'm just hoping they figure out that they need to order the part before I drop off my car with them for the day. Better yet, I hope they figure it out today so they can place the order and have the part in time for the appointment.

rumpole said:
B) Is there a way you can tell on a used car if it's had the upgrade? Hopefully, a buyer could start the car up, pull up a settings screen and get some indication.

Well if you are buying it from the prior owner and not a car lot they can demonstrate the upgrade using the app.

There is a post above/prior page that tells how to check on the MFD.

From the service bulletin:

Why is Nissan using 3G technology rather than 4G?
Nissan has studied how to integrate newer technology into your vehicle and developed ·solutions aimed at delivering a hardware update option with the least inconvenience to owners. The 3G network is supported throughout the U.S. by AT&T. However,Nissan has no control over availability of any cellular network.
There you go. I just wish they could also allow for wifi.

The implication is that 3G is more widely available than 4G. Someone else upthread pointed out that most phones today can do 2G/3G/4G. The chipsets provided by QualComm have this built-in.

I wish/hope that Nissan's TCU upgrade actually supports 4G, they just chose not to use it. This could make any future 3G->4G an actual software change rather than hardware. But that's all wishful thinking on my part.

Relayer1956 said:

-----

head unit:

-----

This was helpful, since my local dealer knew very little when I tried to setup an appointment.

Newporttom said:
I am assuming that there's nothing in this update which gives us updated maps......
No, it didn't affect navigation at all. I looked into buying the 2016 map update and balked at the price. I didn't mind $199 to keep Carwings working, but $179 just to update a few road changes? Forget it.
http://nissan.navigation.com/home/en_US/NissanNA/USD

Just got my car back today; I had dropped it off on Tuesday. Either the new units "came really quickly" or Nissan had already been shipping them out to dealers and I just had good timing.

However, I can't get it to connect. I followed the instructions (my UserID and PW were still prepopulated) and received the message "Connection Failed." Will try again tomorrow with the car out of the garage; however, it's normally in the garage when it communicates with me via NissanConnect. Curious if anyone else has run into any snags upon installation.

ceshell said:
Just got my car back today; I had dropped it off on Tuesday. Either the new units "came really quickly" or Nissan had already been shipping them out to dealers and I just had good timing.

However, I can't get it to connect. I followed the instructions (my UserID and PW were still prepopulated) and received the message "Connection Failed." Will try again tomorrow with the car out of the garage; however, it's normally in the garage when it communicates with me via NissanConnect. Curious if anyone else has run into any snags upon installation.

Take a look at my previous posts. In particular, my summary of the week long process on page 18 of this topic may help. But in short, I believe it was the registration with AT&T that caused a delay for me. All is working well now.

ceshell said:

I'll echo what IBeLeaf2 said. It just take some time. I don't think it is an automated process like when you call to activate your phone or other device. The tech calls up someone (but the key point it's a person, not a computer) and I suspect they batch a bunch of requests up to be manually enabled.

I did talk to the tech and confirm that they actually did call up to register the new unit before I left the dealer.

I got my upgrade yesterday morning. By late last night (10:30pm) it still would not connect. First thing this morning I went out and tried again and it worked. If it takes more than one business day, I would probably call at that point. I suspect they can probably help you on this at Nissan HQ rather than the dealer who can really only call and repeat the information they gave the first time.

Back