Charging while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing different is really needed even with the current car other than unlocking the programming so that it would go into drive with the gen-trailer attached to the quick charge port. It wouldn't really be safe in it's current form with a cable running up under the car to the front but the engineering to make it work at the factory level would be no big deal right now other than the cable routing. Especially if you didn't mind turning the generator on and off manually as it was needed. If the charge ports were in the back somewhere, it would be plug and play right now with a minor software tweek and a button whereby you confirm that you know you are driving with the charger plugged in.

So from what I can see if u can hook a trailer with a generator on it u can charge while driving. So has anyone ever done a write up on this?

Mike9812121298 said:
So from what I can see if u can hook a trailer with a generator on it u can charge while driving. So has anyone ever done a write up on this?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=257630#p257630 has some links. I saw Phil's turbine engine tow generator as I was present at that meeting.

Mike9812121298 said:
This would be beyond the average hobbiest. And the onboard 6.6kW charger wouldn't be enough to keep up at highway speed even if you could get it to come on while driving. Maybe a custom generator to tap 370v DC at 20 kW right on to the battery terminals?

Nubo said:
Mike9812121298 said:
im looking for how you would tap into the wiring so have a charging source, charge while you drive. Im only looking increase miles by 20-30
%. i know it hasn't been done before but doesn't mean its not possible.

As has already been said here, it has been done, using a generator. It has also been done using auxiliary battery packs. And it's done by every LEAF via regenerative braking. It is not impossible and it is not a new idea.

regen and charging at the same time has not been done. having another battery pack is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING

Ok, Ill bite with my long range fantasizing... How about an additional 1772 charger port in the rear of the car. That way you can have a hitch mounted 7K generator and a portable EVSE while you drive. That could get you a couple hundred of miles before you would have to stop for a rest and get a full main battery recharge again!! Sounds like a Super-Volt here..

If anyone does this, I get half for the idea....

Heck, why stop here... If you have two charging ports, then use TWO Chargepoint chargers at the same time and charge up the Leaf in only 1 hour!!

Obviously the quick charge port should be in the back because it takes 15-20 kW average to zip down the highway at 70 mph. I think Nissan would be very surprised how much the market would open up if they offered a gen trailer rental.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Nubo said:
Mike9812121298 said:
im looking for how you would tap into the wiring so have a charging source, charge while you drive. Im only looking increase miles by 20-30
%. i know it hasn't been done before but doesn't mean its not possible.

As has already been said here, it has been done, using a generator. It has also been done using auxiliary battery packs. And it's done by every LEAF via regenerative braking. It is not impossible and it is not a new idea.

regen and charging at the same time has not been done. having another battery pack is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING

They are all examples of charging while driving. It hardly makes sense for us to split hairs when the original question is so vague.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a pusher trailer.

No electrical connections at all... the trailer is a self contained powerplant and drive motor, connected to the car with a trailer hitch.

Yes, you could do this with a simple generator and an electric drive motor that powers the two trailer wheels. The generator can then be used at your camping spot to fully charge the onboard battery when you're stopped.

The problem with most of these ideas is that the people that want them rarely have the money and expertise to make it happen. Buy a Volt, or the BMW i3 with 650cc twin cyclinder gas motor. Actually, find the EPA compliant BMW motor in a wrecking yard and use it. Or, a nice Honda generator. Here is a loud generator that should do the job with a simple 240 VAC motor:

Honda EB10000 - 9kW - 240 volt AC @ 37 amps continuous

Technically I like the "pusher trailer" version :ugeek:
It is much more efficient that charging EV. Simpler. Cheaper.
It needs one gear that turns ICE at ideal RPM around 70-100km/h.
Ideal load range for maximum efficiency. Most likely 50-70% load.
Therefore combustion engine should be around 20kW or 26hp.
It should generate stable pushing force and everything else should
be done by Leaf. Aka going uphill, regen, braking.

This could be done with EV modification.
First of all autonomously trailer never engages at low speeds.
It engages only with driver "push" request and disengages as soon as brake lights
activate. Must be reliable wired connection with failsafe.
I imagine two pushing forces should be available.
Around 10hp and 20hp.
So technically only one tumbler switch for the driver and that's all.

Theoretically it might turn out as a profitable business. As all EV-s need only one trailer
model.
It would be really cheap in volume, as that pusher trailer does not require battery,
starter, generator. Not even cooling fan (as it never runs at slow speed).
It does need a clutch mechanism of some kind. Even dog clutch would work.
ICE engines that are so small don't really have a lot of "engine braking".

G2G, I must stop typing and go :lol:

EVDRIVER said:
Push trailer = Fail. At every level, econ, safety, and it;s already moot.

If you want your thought to be valuable you should at least try to justify them.
Explain your beliefs.
Telling that 20hp pushing force at higher speeds is somehow not safe is just a thought.
Which doesn't take into account vectors, traction and ways improve safety.
Telling that it is not economical (compared to other ways to propel EV) is even worse. Almost like a lie.

There have been some pushers made over the years. One guy "Sharkey" used his extensively, It was the front half of a diesel 1978 VW Rabbit with the rear quarter of a 1984 VW Cabriolet grafted on the back (http://www.evalbum.com/304). A few years ago, when his web page was active, he described several trips with it. It worked well for him. He ran it on home-brewed biodiesel. If I remember right, on long trips he would let it charge his 81 VW Rabbit EV conversion on the flat, then use both motors up the hill.
Another guy, Mike, used a 1988 Honda Civic. What used to be a 2,300lb car is now an 800lb pusher. (http://evconvert.com/article/ev-pusher)

Idea of trailer is that you almost never use it.
Therefore on daily commute you never need that.
Vehicle only has an appropriate hitch always mounted.

And one day when you need to travel for hundreds of miles you hook up the
trailer within 5 minutes, visit gas station and add some dinosaurs into the tank.
Then drive off the city on electricity and as soon as you enter "boring" mode
for hours you let the pusher trailer do 99% of the work. As soon as you run out
of dinosaurs you visit fuel station again. Leaf will not even notice the ease of
rolling.
And again the last part of the trip will be EV only as pusher doesn't operate at low
speed. Therefore no operation at intersections neither on winding roads.

And yes, one trailer for more than one potential user is also good. Makes it even cheaper.

The idea with the roof rack is you could put it in one of those aerodynamic cargo boxes, and it could be added and removed at your leisure. Also would not impact the footprint of the car, still park in a normal parking spot, etc. A roof box is almost certainly less drag than a trailer also. A generator that could power the car fully at 60mph is probably not small or light enough yet, but one that could extend range maybe an extra 50-100 miles or let you park and have lunch anywhere while it gives you some more boost could definitely be done and would be more useful IMO. Once you get a trailer, install a trailer hitch on your Leaf, then trailer insurance, licensing, finding storage, etc you could just buy an old Honda or Toyota for roadtrips. I don't see a U-Haul type trailer rental service worth it either, just plain trailers are expensive as heck to rent as it is and a big diesel generator is noisy and stinks.

Also surprised nobody posted this yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPMBR-imqUk

15kW would just keep up. Might have to slow down into head winds. Weighs 536 pounds/ 243kg. Can't put that on any roof.
http://gens.lccdn.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/generators/home-generators/ecogen-series/15kw-6103/0k8466-c-15kw-ecogen-hsb.pdf

Back