Commercial GPS or Navigation Units

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

Since my S model doesn't have the navigation unit I was wondering if anyone knows of a commercally available nav unit or GPS that would display PlugShare or charging units along various routes. I am totally ignorant about such devices.

The best device for this is a smartphone or tablet with internet access (cellular data plan). Load the Plugshare, Chargepoint, and other appropriate apps on the device. If you plan to go further than a single charge will take you, plan out your route in advance and locate the charging stations (and a backup) where you will need to stop along the way.

Thank you for your qucik response, Baustin. I never remotely considered those devices as an option. The best part of your suggestion is that I would no longer have to stay up late into the night drawing up a battle plan of charge point stops to make a spontaneous trip out of town.

I would also recommend using a smartphone or similar device. Even with my SL model having the onboard GPS, I have been very impressed with an app called Waze and generally use it instead. It knows live traffic and routes you accordingly. Plus it doesn't require modification
to your car and is easily changed.

I also have an SL, and I have also never used the built-in navigation. Just get a decent mount for your phone. I use one of those CD-slot mounts, and I've wedged into the gap above the Nav unit. I regularly use the following apps:
  • Google Maps
  • Waze
  • Chargepoint
  • Plugshare
  • LeafSpy Pro
  • Nissan EV
  • BlackVue (for my dashcam)

I use Apple Maps on my iPhone. Combined with an Apple Watch, I can speak to the Watch and say "Hey Siri, take me to the Costco in Scottsdale" ... I then feel left - right taps on my wrist for upcoming turns, combined with audible directions over my streaming music through the car audio system. Surprised how well it all works. And pretty much eliminates the need to even mount the phone in view.

Apple recently added EV Charging locations to the maps, but it is not as comprehensive as the PlugShare app.

On my test Android phones (and Android Wear watch) I've enjoyed similar functionality through deeply integrated Google maps there.

There are now a couple third party "heads up" displays that show your next turn.

Somewhere I saw a project the more permanently mounted a small tablet over the LEAF S radio and using the tablet for everything for music and navigation to LeafSpy. Maybe a 3D printed holder could give a more finished look.

All of this is light years beyond dedicated GPS units, let alone the built-in systems. Asking Google or Apple for your destination in plain language is so much easier and faster than navigation the horrible UIs on most nav systems.

I've been thinking about this further. Now I wonder can I just simply put a SD card, like the ones some Leaf owners have in their navigatio units, into my laptop or tablet?

It may be more of a hassle than you want but you buy stereo replacements that are actually an Android device which can run any app that a phone or tablet can. The question is whether it's worth it when you can simply use your phone. Also I understand that the boot up time can be a bit long which interferes with using the backup camera.

Back