michelb

Re: Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 am

Please let me know if this is off topic (and I'll move it to a new thread) but has anyone in Canada gone to the US to do the 3G update? If so, does it work in Canada (Carwings with the 3G hardware)?

Let us know (I'm buying a used 2015 SV and was planning to have the 3G update done before I import it to Canada).

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by michelb on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 SV (soon to be sold)
2016 SL (new to me)

tysoncooper
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 417340

Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:57 am

+1 on the above post. I'm mid-process on the purchase/import process from WA state into BC, hopefully taking delivery early next week. The seller made me aware of this, so not a surprise... but I didn't know until i started looking deeper that this couldn't be sorted out directly in Canada... 'soft' workarounds aside from earlier in this thread.

My seller has a good relationship with the Nissan dealership in Bellingham, so I've asked him to reach out and find out for me what the situation is so I too can perhaps get the hardware upgrade prior to the import.

Leafpack
Delivery Date: 31 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 024613

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 pm

I have had mine updated but I cannot get it to work. I am going back down to get the dealer that did the upgrade to have another look. I am getting the issue of Connection to center failed. Looking at another thread it appears a lot of people have had this in the US after an upgrade. No one is sure what the fix is.

Will update after the dealer takes another look.

chivalryx
Delivery Date: 04 Jul 2016

Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:46 pm

Great to hear a few are making the leap.

The 2G units still roam up here (albeit with Nissan perpetually kicking our VINs out), so I doubt there is any difference with the 3G units once the dealerships set them up correctly. If it works down there, it should work up here.

I've contemplated driving across to Bellingham Nissan as well, but wanted them to have a few upgrades under their belt before spending a day (or more) there.

Chiv.
2013 White Pearl SV (No quick charge)
Weathertech custom floormats
Aftermarket LED Headlight upgrade (45W 4800 lumen/bulb)
12V 20Ah Prismatic LiFeMnPO4 Lead Acid replacement
Aftermarket Rear Backup Camera wired to NAV

alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:19 pm

So, is the root cause that Nissan is deliberately deactivating our Leafs from roaming on Rogers with a US TCU? I was going to troubleshoot this some more, but there is no point if this is just going to be an ongoing battle.

Has anyone successfully lobbied Nissan Canada to register their VIN on the Canadian system? Perhaps Nissan Canada takes care of registering the SIM card built into the TCU with Rogers directly to avoid roaming, but I'm just speculating. If so, then it would be in Nissan's best interest to avoid roaming charges from AT&T by having our cars registered directly with Rogers instead (i.e no roaming).

Anyone know definitively?
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

tysoncooper
Delivery Date: 06 Feb 2017
Leaf Number: 417340

Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:04 am

chivalryx wrote:Great to hear a few are making the leap.

The 2G units still roam up here (albeit with Nissan perpetually kicking our VINs out), so I doubt there is any difference with the 3G units once the dealerships set them up correctly. If it works down there, it should work up here.

I've contemplated driving across to Bellingham Nissan as well, but wanted them to have a few upgrades under their belt before spending a day (or more) there.

Chiv.
As previously mentioned, I've got a window of opportunity here pre-import to have it done in Bellingham, far less hassle than dealing with it myself after the fact, wasting a day etc.... but I'm also wondering if it's worth it if it's still flaky in Canada with the 3g unit accessing the US system. Might as well wait until Rogers forces Nissan Canada's hand and we can get it done with Nissan Canada in 12-18 months. Until then, use the workaround described in this thread?

alozzy

Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am

Unfortunately, it seems like Nissan is blacklisting our VINs or something as a bunch of Canadian owners of US Leafs are having issues with Nissan Connect (Carwings) now. Mine hasn't been working for days and I've tried every trick
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

alozzy

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 pm

So, I just spent over two hours on the phone with Nissan Connect EV support.

I explained the following to the Nissan rep:

- up until a few days ago, the 2G TCU in my car was roaming on Rogers network
- just last week I called Nissan Connect EV support, had them add my VIN to a US account after proving title, and then I was able to accept the EV agreements
- I was given a PIN and password to enter into the car and Carwings became active
- Carwings/NissanConnect is no longer working, as of just a few days ago

Before calling Nissan, I removed the vehicle from my account (via https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners) and then tried to add the VIN again. The website wouldn't allow that, so I called Nissan Connect EV support and they added the vehicle VIN again (it shows up on the Manage Vehicle tab).

However, after they set that up I clicked on the "NissanConnect EV(CARWINGS)" tab and tried to accept the agreements in order to obtain a new PIN and passcode. It's now refusing to accept the agreement. My old PIN and passcode don't work either. Sigh

After another call to Nissan, the rep claimed that there has been no corporate policy change and that my US Leaf won't work in Canada anyways, so there's no point in fixing the agreement acceptance issue. I explained again that it was working and if I could get past the agreement acceptance page, I could try again to see if it will work. She wouldn't budge so I escalated to a manager. The manager says he'll sort out the agreement issues so I can try again, but he says there's been no corporate policy change and that most likely Rogers is starting to block the roaming. He also stated that they do not block VINS.

I would encourage everyone to email nissanownerservices@nissanusa.com to voice your TCU concerns. Nissan just needs to state definitively whether upgraded TCUs (3G) will likewise be blocked from roaming on Rogers network. I don't want to throw away $300 US on a gamble.

I'll post my email to them next...
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

alozzy

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Here's the email I sent to nissanownerservices@nissan-usa.com:

I'm among a group of frustrated owners who congregate on mynissanleaf.com. I'm sure there's a much larger group of Leaf owners who are likewise frustrated by Carwings/NissanConnect issues, but don't engage in online owner forums.

Here are just a few of the active threads from mynissanleaf.com on the topics of TCU upgrades and Carwings/NissanConnect issues:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23291
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=23349
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=560

For Leaf owners with a 2G TCU, it's understandable that Carwings does not work since AT&T killed their 2G network at the end of 2016.

However, there are two other groups of owners having issues:

• Those owners who've already paid for the TCU upgrade to 3G and are still having problems
• Canadian residents who purchased a Leaf in the USA and imported the vehicle to Canada (I'm in this group)

For the latter group, up until a few days ago, the original 2G TCU was working fine with Carwings. That's because, in Canada, the car was roaming onto Rogers 2G network.

There appears to have been a silent corporate policy change with regards to US Leafs that have been imported into Canada. What's happening is two fold:

• Carwings/NissanConnect is no longer working in Canada, despite the fact that the 2G TCU was roaming on Rogers network and Carwings/NissanConnect was working up until a few days ago
• Canadian owners are no longer able to accept the "NissanConnectSM EV Subscription Agreement" and "NissanConnectSM EV Consent" agreements on https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners

In my case, I called Nissan EV support (877-664-2738) and was told that I'm no longer able to accept the agreements because, since the car is in Canada, it's not possible for the TCU to roam to a non-existant AT&T 2G network. This is despite the clear evidence to the contrary (that 2G TCUs in Canada do roam on Rogers 2G network and Carwings works but stopped working only a few days ago).

Even more frustrating though is that there is no guarantee that upgraded TCUs (3G) will work in Canada, according to the Nissan rep that I spoke to.

I'm looking for Nissan's advice on how I can get Carwings/NissanConnect working again in Canada. If I can do that by upgrading the TCU then that's fine, but I don't want to do that only to find out that it still doesn't work in Canada.
Last edited by alozzy on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

alozzy

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:25 pm

I should have added that I was told by two different Nissan reps that I should definitely use a Nissan Connect USA account, rather than a Canadian account, for a US market Leaf.

I'm guessing that the root cause of our issues is that Rogers is the one blocking the roaming. Just speculation though...
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”