Nissan Connect EV - Connecting to Leaf now failing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnoLeaf

Hi, I've had my 2016 Leaf for 1 month and loving the Nissan Connect EV app for setting the Climate Control 'On' before getting into the car when leaving home/work.

For the first 3 weeks, I never experienced a connect to my Leaf error, but the last 3 days, I have been hitting an error almost every time, on both the PC and iOS app:
- PC: Nissan Connect EV tab, click refresh button => Refresh Request failed
- iOS: Open Nissan Connect EV app = Service cannot be provided

Has anyone else experienced this? I've searched for service outage and the forum with no luck.
I've verified on Nissan FAQ that the 2016 model does not need the 2G->3G upgrade.
I'm also in an area with a strong signal and have performed numerous connections to the car at home/work.

Thanks --Ono
Bellevue, WA area

It acts like the Nissan network is down...but I have used it in the last couple of days.
Assuming you haven't made any changes to your account, sounds like you need to call the EV hotline.

UPDATE - I just got off the phone with Nissan Connect EV Help and they said that Carwings/Nissan Connect is having issues in the USA, Europe and Japan. In addition, there was no timeline for an update or fix or a Service Status site to check :roll:

OnoLeaf said:
UPDATE - I just got off the phone with Nissan Connect EV Help and they said that Carwings/Nissan Connect is having issues in the USA, Europe and Japan. In addition, there was no timeline for an update or fix or a Service Status site to check :roll:

That's great, i.e. maybe that explains why my TCU functioned for three weeks after the update and now fails
to connect with an error message. Probably should wait and not visit the dealer and waste time with a fourth
dealer visit for a "simple" update. And here I thought buying a BEV would significantly reduce dealer visits and
hassles.

I posted this in a different thread, but I and others have fixed the problem...

My TCU was replaced on 12/26, and all was well, well it did take 8 hours, blah blah... anyway I communicate with the car 3 to 6 times during the day, and the system always worked well for me. 2G, and 3G, well 3G for 3 weeks .... last week I too stopped "talking" to the EV Gods, crap!
Today I checked in, read, and well yes, my battery sits at 12.3 volts. H'mmmmm, I just happen to have a brand new battery just waiting for a reason to install it, so I installed the new battery, I also keep a power source on the battery leads as I swap battery's, I hate resetting stuff!
So new battery in, I then fired up laptop, went to Nissan Connect, logged in, retrieved my ID/Psswd, brought that to the car, logged the car out, erased stored password, typed my downloaded info, entered it and stood back!
No smoke, no connect, well, let's let the radio & electron gods figure it out.
Let's add music to my Ipod. Time goes by and lo & behold ....
At 4:20, I checked the NissanConnect site, hit refresh, and BAM, it's now working!

So, go check your battery, if it's 12.5 volts or less, replace it. you will get yours working again ....

OnoLeaf said:

WOW, i had to come on here to get an honest answer. To get an answer that i kinda knew deep inside that was the problem from reading past posts. The dude on the phone told me it was a TCU failure when i just had it installed from like 2 weeks ago (upgrade) and it was working fine and it still updates the stations and does everything else the TCU is supposed to do.

KK6PD said:
I posted this in a different thread, but I and others have fixed the problem...

My TCU was replaced on 12/26, and all was well, well it did take 8 hours, blah blah... anyway I communicate with the car 3 to 6 times during the day, and the system always worked well for me. 2G, and 3G, well 3G for 3 weeks .... last week I too stopped "talking" to the EV Gods, crap!
Today I checked in, read, and well yes, my battery sits at 12.3 volts. H'mmmmm, I just happen to have a brand new battery just waiting for a reason to install it, so I installed the new battery, I also keep a power source on the battery leads as I swap battery's, I hate resetting stuff!
So new battery in, I then fired up laptop, went to Nissan Connect, logged in, retrieved my ID/Psswd, brought that to the car, logged the car out, erased stored password, typed my downloaded info, entered it and stood back!
No smoke, no connect, well, let's let the radio & electron gods figure it out.
Let's add music to my Ipod. Time goes by and lo & behold ....
At 4:20, I checked the NissanConnect site, hit refresh, and BAM, it's now working!

So, go check your battery, if it's 12.5 volts or less, replace it. you will get yours working again ....

Went outside tested my voltage with the battery still plugged in but the car in off position. Read 12.56V. I have read here previously that disconnecting and connecting the battery temporarily resolves this issue.

TheTeslaDream said:
Went outside tested my voltage with the battery still plugged in but the car in off position. Read 12.56V. I have read here previously that disconnecting and connecting the battery temporarily resolves this issue.

Why temporarily fix the problem, just replace the battery and fix the problem, I did not have to pull power from TCU, just renter ID/Psswd, give it 30 minutes or so, check NissanConnect, should be working!
Mine was FIXED!
Good Luck!

KK6PD said:
TheTeslaDream said:

Why temporarily fix the problem, just replace the battery and fix the problem, I did not have to pull power from TCU, just renter ID/Psswd, give it 30 minutes or so, check NissanConnect, should be working!
Mine was FIXED!
Good Luck!

12.56 volts is pretty typical for a Leaf, and does not indicate a failed 12 volt battery.

LeftieBiker said:
12.56 volts is pretty typical for a Leaf, and does not indicated a failed 12 volt battery.

but, apparently the replacement TCU 3G unit requires a higher power requirement than the unit it replaced, so what was acceptable, 12.5 volt, now is a problem. Myself and others have replaced the 12 battery, my new battery sits at 12.95 volts as reported by Leaf Spy and our TCU problems have gone away without a painful visit to a Nissan Service Dept. They are in the dark about the cause, much less the fix for this problem.
Also the new TCU units have been out in use since the last week in 2016, and right after that the country went into a deep freeze. That's never a good thing for a weak car battery. Mine suffered, and my new TCU stopped being reliable.
I had already purchased a replacement, but due to recovering from a surgery, I simply blew it off. Once installed, TCU worked!

EV Connect stopped working on Jan 9 and was reported on Jan 23. Service stations update OK, but no facility to see battery condition etc. "Try again or contact Nissan" . sadly, a month later nothing has happened and the problem remains, despite being "escalated" on Jan 30
Car bought Feb 2016

Knatchbull said:
EV Connect stopped working on Jan 9 and was reported on Jan 23. Service stations update OK, but no facility to see battery condition etc. "Try again or contact Nissan" . sadly, a month later nothing has happened and the problem remains, despite being "escalated" on Jan 30
Car bought Feb 2016

Try disconnecting your 12-volt battery for at least 30 seconds to reset the telematics module.

I am having the same problem with my 2012 leaf. first of Jan./2017 had the TCU replaced. Never worked. Spent 4 hours with tech help and they decided unit bad. Had rereplaced again 2 weeks later and worked with out problem on our iPhones and iMac computer until 2 weeks ago. spent time with tech help again and determined that the car is functioning properly with nissan. display shows white car with reception signal good and car connects and updates charging stations. both phones and computer will not connect to car. tech help called me back and said my iPhone operating system was too NEW (not too old) for their app and their owner portal program. I think that this is a cop out for them. I also have been using a non factory app called EVA. this also quit working at the same time. any one have any suggestions. I was strongly looking at purchasing the new 2018 Leaf but now am having strong reservations.. Does anyone have any sugestions? please!!!!

jerry, pop your lead acid battery's negative battery terminal for 5 minutes and then replace and plug the car in for an hour. If my theory is correct your Carwings will start working again after that time. If so, then you will likely want to replace your 12v lead acid battery.

I had tested the battery voltage two hours after it had stopped charging. the voltage was 12.11V. I put it on a battery charger and tested the system again. The voltage was 12.99V and tried the app. Still did not work. Disconnected the battery for all of 5 minutes or longer, hooked up and tried again. still did not work. Went to the verizon store to check the phone system. They said that the phone is working correctly. They noticed that the time that is shown on the refresh button area of the app was 2 hours behind my time (Pacific time). he felt that there was a synchronization problem with nissan. Tried again 3 hours later and the program has a slightly different format. Both iPhones and computer appear to be working. If they had been doing a software update why didn't they tell us. It is like they unlocked our account and activated it. I will know more tomorrow when I go for my appointment at the nissan dealer.

jerry, I'm pretty sure you just confirmed my hypothesis. Nothing to do with your phone.

Check out this thread and start reading towards the end:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21573

There is an issue with the 3G TCU going into "standby mode" (term used by Nissan tech in that thread), and my hypothesis is that it happens when the 12v system voltage drops to ~12.3v. When you disconnect the negative terminal it resets the system but then it takes 10-20 minutes for everything to sync up again. Your battery measured 12.1v which is too low anyway and you should use a maintenance charger to replace it regardless of the TCU.

I followed Vitamins advice, disconnected my groundon the 12v. and bang, it works! thanks.. Does this mean i have to buy a new battery now??

jerkwagon said:
I followed Vitamins advice, disconnected my groundon the 12v. and bang, it works! thanks.. Does this mean i have to buy a new battery now??

Check the cells on the existing battery. If they are low, top them off with distilled water. Give it a full charge with an external charger. You may be able to get some additional life out of it.

jerkwagon said:
You're very welcome. It was just about 3 weeks ago that the "experienced" members of this forum were telling me I was on a wild goose chase pinning TCU problems on the 12v battery. Now those same people are recommending my test procedure :) I am happy as long as peoples' cars are working :ugeek:

Back