LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwhitney said:
I got the programmer and firmware from Stanton and successfully updated my LeafDD to v2.3.4. So if you'd like to get it next, please PM me with your email address (for the firmware) and mailing address (for the programmer). If I don't hear from anyone within a week, I'll go ahead and return the programmer to Greg.
Bump. If I don't hear from anyone by Monday, I'm going to send the programmer back to Greg.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne for the programmer - I'm up to date now and ready to send to another LeafDD owner.

If you want to update your LeafDD to be compatible/work nicely with the new TCU then PM me please!

ampitupco said:
Thanks Wayne for the programmer - I'm up to date now and ready to send to another LeafDD owner.

If you want to update your LeafDD to be compatible/work nicely with the new TCU then PM me please!

Please return the USB adapter to Greg. As he spent his free time providing LeafDD owners with the update,
if no more requests arise. Most product developers would rarely have done an update, given the age of
the LeafDD.

I can take it next unless someone else really needs it. I'd like to update it to the latest before selling my leafDD (haven't had a leaf for a year and a half) Thanks!

Any disadvantage to the upgrade? I don't use the 3G service, any other advangate to the upgrade other than 3G?

jjeff said:
Any disadvantage to the upgrade? I don't use the 3G service, any other advangate to the upgrade other than 3G?

Please clarify: the TCU upgrade or the LeafDD upgrade? I would have assumed LeafDD (this thread) but then you mention 3G; the LeafDD firmware "fixes" were basically caused by the modem replacement.

Stanton said:
jjeff said:

Please clarify: the TCU upgrade or the LeafDD upgrade? I would have assumed LeafDD (this thread) but then you mention 3G; the LeafDD firmware "fixes" were basically caused by the modem replacement.
Yes sorry, I'm talking about the LeafDD and what advantages if any I might see with this update? and I'm not planning on upgrading my modem to 3G, I never use that feature on my '12 SL where the LeafDD resides.

jjeff said:
Stanton said:
jjeff said:

Yes sorry, I'm talking about the LeafDD and what advantages if any I might see with this update? and I'm not planning on upgrading my modem to 3G, I never use that feature on my '12 SL where the LeafDD resides.

IMO, the firmware update is only essential for those that do the modem upgrade; it basically restores the functionality disabled by the upgrade. The only real addition I saw was an instantaneous current display (on the first page) which--while cool--was not part of what was disabled.
Having said all that, I don't really understand why someone would not want do the modem update to continue "talking" to their Leaf--but that's another discussion. ;)

JeremyW said:
I can take it next unless someone else really needs it. I'd like to update it to the latest before selling my leafDD (haven't had a leaf for a year and a half) Thanks!
I'll take it after Jeremy unless someone else has an urgent need for it.

If you get your hands on it, perhaps I can come by and apply it to mine. I'm actually more interested in the process than having any particular need for the update. :geek:

gbarry42 said:
If you get your hands on it, perhaps I can come by and apply it to mine. I'm actually more interested in the process than having any particular need for the update. :geek:

GregH (developer/producer of LeafDD) has kindly provided owners of LeafDD an update file (hex format) to download
via a Silicon Labs USB adapter and a PC app to the LeafDD. The adapter was purchased specially for the update process
and is to be sent to GregH when it's no longer needed by LeafDD owners for the update process.

I had my firmware updated related to the telematics update and Greg pointed me to this thread. What is the process for getting in line for the USB dongle w/firmware?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey gang.. just a quick note on the LeafDD firmware update..

It seems the new Nissan update has removed the passive CAN bit I was reading to determine charge vs drive mode. So now the LeafDD thinks it's in charge mode all the time.

All that means is the display is slightly dimmed and the active CAN data is only updated every 5 minutes (that would be precise Ah and SOC). Stuff like Current, Voltage and Gids are passive so they still update at the same rate.

The reason I slowed down sampling in charge mode was that with some vehicle controllers asleep, it seemed some active CAN requests forced the car to temporarily wake up the sleeping module and a consistent but very faint clicking sound could be heard under the hood or inside the car while charging.

To minimize wear on this component (and assuming people wouldn't need down the second updates while charging) I slowed the sampling rate way down.

Some of the early reports of people with the update claim they cannot hear the faint clicking in charge mode. I would just warn everyone to double check and be sure. It may not be a issue at all, but I wanted everyone to be aware.

Thanks for the explanation, Greg, and by the way, thanks for making the DD--simple, and to the point.

You didn't quite say, but I think the actual change you've made is to put it in driving mode all the time? So after the change, the update rate is always fast? I know that clicking sound well. Anyone who has used LeafSpy with the car turned off or charging should be familiar with that sound. As you say, it's "mostly harmless", but maybe I will choose not to have that. There's a vanishingly small chance that I'll upgrade the modem.

FWIW, I do like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving. It's the worst number to use in gauging the battery, but it's the only that displays in real time.

gbarry42 said:
I know that clicking sound well. Anyone who has used LeafSpy with the car turned off or charging should be familiar with that sound. As you say, it's "mostly harmless", but maybe I will choose not to have that.

When the Leaf is turned off, LeafDD is totally powered down, so no sound should be heard. Yes, the LeafDD is
powered on with the Leaf turned off BUT while charging. That must be what is implied, right? I've never heard
that "clicking" sound while charging. I'll check again, though.

gbarry42 said:
FWIW, I do like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving. It's the worst number to use in gauging the battery, but it's the only that displays in real time.

I didn't do the update, as the slower update rate (5 min) of Ahrs is acceptable, i.e. while driving at 55 MPH the Ahrs
value worst case is only off by 2 Ahrs. Besides my version of LeafDD doesn't have the dimming problem.

For those wondering about the update...

I don't hear any "clicking sound" after the firmware update.
I too like watching the SOC go up or down as I'm driving...and the instantaneous current thing is kind of cool...and my display no longer dims.

Thanks again to @GregH for making the new firmware (v2.3.4) available!

I just updated my LeafDD, I will be bringing the programmer to the leafer breakfast on Saturday February 18th in Santa Ana, so if you're local to SoCal, I can update your LeafDD firmware at the event. After, I'll ship the the unit to Drees, then I believe he will ship it on to Rusher.

JeremyW said:
I just updated my LeafDD, I will be bringing the programmer to the leafer breakfast on Saturday February 18th in Santa Ana, so if you're local to SoCal, I can update your LeafDD firmware at the event. After, I'll ship the the unit to Drees, then I believe he will ship it on to Rusher.
Sounds good. I'll meet up with gbarry42 to get his LeafDD updated since he's local to me before passing it on, too.

Back