Clicking/grinding when turning wheel

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dex8425

I've noticed that there is a grinding/popping feeling and noise coming from the left wheel area when I turn the steering wheel to the left, especially when starting out and especially when it's cold. Can feel it with my left foot. Unfortunately I live in MN, so it's always cold. This didn't happen last winter though. Do I need to add grease somewhere? Thanks.

I also noticed the same thing the first winter with my new '13, it would generally only happen when quite cold out and generally backing up and turning the wheel. It took 2 trips to the dealer because the first time they said they couldn't hear anything as of course the day I took it in, the temps had warmed up. The second time they ended up replacing several front end parts but as it was under warranty I'm not exactly what all they replaced, it was free and after I didn't hear the noise. About half way through the next winter the sound came back but not as loud. I still hear it occasionally to this day but basically ignore it. Not sure there is anything to grease but I guess it wouldn't hurt trying.
Since it sounds like your Leaf is no longer under warranty I'd first see if there is anything to grease, if not I'd just drive it until it gets worse and in the case of mine it doesn't seem to be, just somewhat annoying for such a new low mileage car. I never had such problems with my prior 2 Toyota vehicles and I sure with Toyota had made a BEV available in my market but alas no they wasted(IMO) so much time on fuel cell vehicles other companies like Nissan overtook them and now they are scrambling to catch up :(

Your left upper strut bearing has come apart. I had the same symptoms on my 2014, and when they changed the left upper strut bearing the problem was fixed.

I've noticed a similar noise at full lock turning left. Also I've been getting a 'rusty hinge' kind of noise when it's really cold outside and I go over bumps / speed humps.

I found this thread http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15384&hilit=creak which provides some part numbers for a possible solution.

I have taken it in for a safety inspection (not at Nissan) and they assured me that everything was safe and operational, and that it was just a low-temp noise. Given it's warmed up a little here in Dallas, it's not high on my priority list just yet.

Hmm. Strut wouldn't really make sense, as it doesn't make noise when I go over a bump, only when turning the wheel. It's gotta be a bearing going bad though.

That sounds a lot like a CV joint. The mechanics should have tested the integrity of the CV joint boot to make sure it didn't get torn from road debris or wear. I've encountered this on older cars before. If you get the boot fixed before the CV joint fails, it's a fairly inexpensive fix.

I thought of CV joints, as I've had that replaced on cars before, but at only 18,000 miles that seemed unlikely. Additionally, the noise/clicking goes away towards the end of trips, or when the weather warms up. I don't think CV joints are weather sensitive.

I think you folks are trying to play "What disease do I have.." Dude, you cant drive a car for free forever...

Just like any other car, take it to a mechanic.

My 2016 is doing this too. It only happens when turning in reverse... It is odd. I've worked on cars for 10 years (6 years professionally) and I've never heard a noise like this. I wish I still had access to a chassis ear to help figure this one out.

dex8425 said:
Hmm. Strut wouldn't really make sense, as it doesn't make noise when I go over a bump, only when turning the wheel. It's gotta be a bearing going bad though.

There is a bearing in the top strut mount that lets the strut rotate as the car turns.

With a few exceptions, my approach with difficult-to-find suspension noises has been: let the problem get worse until you can find it. Some exceptions are: check power steering fluid; check the brakes and studs; check the cotter keys on the hubs; check for grease fling from CV joints (might as well repack and throw-on a split boot... either that postpones failure a year or two, or it doesn't).

If it's a bearing or ball-joint and it's already making noise, then once you've spent days locating the problem, you'd have to pay the same amount to fix it, as you will once the cause of the noise is obvious.

I think mine was the hub. At least, my wife drove into a curb, the car was making a high pitched whining noise. Took it in. Left front hub was terrible; wouldn't even turn by hand. Replaced (about 500 bucks). Noise is now gone when turning the wheel.

Subject: SB Noise When Turning The Steering Wheel
Summary of NTB14088:
IF YOU CONFIRM:
There is a noise (clunking, popping, or bumping) when the steering wheel is turned AND the noise is coming from the top of either front strut assembly.
NOTE: The location of the noise can be determined by using Essential Tool J39570 (Chassis Ear), positioning a clamp on each front strut spring, and then turning the steering wheel back and forth.
ACTION:
Install a spacer in both the left front and right front strut assemblies where shown in this bulletin.
- Refer to the Electronic Service Manual (ESM), section FSU- Front Suspension for removal and installation instructions.
See this bulletin for further detail.

eatsleafsandshoots said:
I had this exact problem (popping noise on full lock in reverse when cold), never got it fixed, and the sound hasn't happened this winter. Weird.

Occasionally a problem like this is cured or improved just by wear-in of the assembly involved.

Back