Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect current readings

I recently bought Leaf Spy Pro (v0.38.80 en) for Android, using a Konnwei OBDII on a 2016 Leaf with 30kWH battery. Excellent app, lots of data - I'm down loading the CSV files and graphing them.

When I plot column 10 in the CSV, "Pack Amps", it gives half the real value. E.g. charging on an OpenEVSE at 240V, 12A, the EVSE meter reads about 11.4A and the CSV gives about -5.7. Charging on an EVduty EVC30T-05 at nominal 30A, 240V the CSV gives -15.

adaviel said:
Incorrect current readings

I recently bought Leaf Spy Pro (v0.38.80 en) for Android, using a Konnwei OBDII on a 2016 Leaf with 30kWH battery. Excellent app, lots of data - I'm down loading the CSV files and graphing them.

When I plot column 10 in the CSV, "Pack Amps", it gives half the real value. E.g. charging on an OpenEVSE at 240V, 12A, the EVSE meter reads about 11.4A and the CSV gives about -5.7. Charging on an EVduty EVC30T-05 at nominal 30A, 240V the CSV gives -15.

Leaf Spy gives you the current into or out of the battery. Since the battery is between 300 and 400 volts (depending upon SOC) the DC current at the battery (output side of charger) will be less than the current measured on the 240 volt AC input to the charger.

Frustrated: my 6th attempt to get a matching OBDII:
- 1 arrived, didn't work - connected to phone, Leaf Spy Pro didn't connect
- 2 were never even shipped: so, 2 30 day delays to get an A-Z guarantee
- The Konwei 902 doesn't appear to be available anywhere...
- I'm looking at 2 on my desk: Panlong and BLE... both recommended by users on Seattle Leaf Forum on Facebook.

Panlong works with Leaf Spy Lite, but not Leaf Spy Pro.
BLE doesn't even connect with my phone... so not selectable with Leaf Spy Pro.

I'm a software engineer - Are there utilities to help me debug why these are issues?
I very much want all the features Leaf Spy Pro offers...

I've been at this for 6 months - check my purchase iD - [email protected]... bought Leaf Spy Pro way back in July or August...

I don't log on here very often so, if you would please, contact me via my email address. Thanks..

John

^^^
I suspect user error if it works w/Leaf Spy Lite but not Pro. Perhaps both apps are running? Kill both of them and start over. Perhaps there's just some flakiness that requires you to unplug/replug the dongle and/or restart the app? I often have to futz with this.

I bought the two at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432005#p432005 when I was a huge hurry because my 1st Leaf lease was going to end and I needed Leaf Spy to help me shop for a used Leaf. 1st one I tried worked off the bat. Never even bothered w/the second one.

Reboot your phone? I've used Leaf Spy Pro w/the dongle I mentioned across 3 phones w/o any issues: Samsung Galaxy S4, then S6 then Nexus 5X.

jlynker said:
Frustrated: my 6th attempt to get a matching OBDII:
- 1 arrived, didn't work - connected to phone, Leaf Spy Pro didn't connect
- 2 were never even shipped: so, 2 30 day delays to get an A-Z guarantee
- The Konwei 902 doesn't appear to be available anywhere...
- I'm looking at 2 on my desk: Panlong and BLE... both recommended by users on Seattle Leaf Forum on Facebook.

Panlong works with Leaf Spy Lite, but not Leaf Spy Pro.
BLE doesn't even connect with my phone... so not selectable with Leaf Spy Pro.

I'm a software engineer - Are there utilities to help me debug why these are issues?
I very much want all the features Leaf Spy Pro offers...

I've been at this for 6 months - check my purchase iD - [email protected]... bought Leaf Spy Pro way back in July or August...

I don't log on here very often so, if you would please, contact me via my email address. Thanks..

John

what phone?

Kristis said:
How are cycles counted? When i plug in its a charge cycle, or only when theres 0-100 (full battery cycle)?
Are you talking about the L1/L2 count?

If so, it has err... quirks. Se below.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=451938#p451938
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=452126#p452126

Kristis said:
Yep, thanks :) i was surprised to have 900 charges... :)

if you are using a timer on a regular basis, you probably have closer to 450ish... Can't believe after all this time, we are still counting "plug in's" as a charge event...

Hi,
can i use Leaf spy pro to calculate the internal resistance in the battery?
I wonder how much the internal resistance is rising in cold weather (Norway).

Or is there already a graph somewhere showing internal restistance vs temperature?

I recently bought a used Nissan Leaf with 74000 miles still showing 11 battery bars.
Curious to see how close to losing another I bought Leaf Spy Pro and the recommended CHEERLINK® KONNWEI KW902 Mini Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II dongle..
Most everything except the cell pack voltage charts and a few related things work fine..
How can I get the cell voltages to display.. I've tried setting the shunt value at both 8412 and 4812 and still get a blank screen.
Is this a OBDII problem or a settings problem?
Thanks
Bill

I purchased the Konnwei KW902 as recommended by Leaf Spy, After plugging it in my 2012 Leaf went haywire and the display in the leaf showed multiple errors. I could not even power off the leaf. After unplugging I was able to turn the leaf off and it still showed multiple errors but was now able to power off the leaf. Has anyone else experienced this issue? After multiple power cycles to the Leaf, I have now gotten rid of the errors.
Why would this device cause such issues? Is this a fake device or does my leaf have other issues?
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,
How do I find battery manufacturing date from LeafSpyPro? I cannot find it even in service menu....
Does LeafSpyPro able to show 12V battery current?
best regards

Manufacturing date of the car is on the label on the frame when you open the drivers door. If it is a replacement battery, you would need to contact Nissan.

Only Voltage for the 12V battery.

bearer said:
lpickup said:
paulhome said:
Would it be feasible to enhance leaf spy to stop the charging process at a certain charge level?
I would be prepared to pay for this feature.
One idea I had is based on the OpenEVSE charging station, which by its open source nature is modifiable by someone with the necessary expertise. If you do not have such expertise, maybe you could ask the OpenEVSE community about adding this feature.

I just started wrapping my solution to this up. I put an Arduino Nano uC* with a nrf24L01+ radio inside my OpenEVSE, and connecting the serial port to the OpenEVSE.

Then I have another uC in the car that is connected to the EV bus, it picks up the SOC data and transmit it to the uC in the OpenEVSE. The uC in the OpenEVSE also receives temperature from the plugs and a Target SOC from the car among other thins, and issues the needed serial RAPI command to OpenEVSE to stop charging when target is reached or reduce current draw if its a worn down outlet what is getting to hot to pull 3.6kW from.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to add the functionality directly to OpenEVSE as the current code pretty much uses nearly all available flash.

I would love to be able to send a CAN command to stop the charge instead, as currently it will not work with public Type2 chargers that is becoming the new standard here. (Not without using a Type2 to IEC outlet and then to my OpenEVSE)

*) board does not like greek micro symbol?!

Hi - I'm very interested in your project. I purchased my 2013 model S a week ago and I have an OpenEVSE on the way as well as a Pi and a Bluetooth OBD-II adapter I was planning to use for a similar project. Do you have a website or other post that has more details on what you've done so far?

Thanks,
Jeff

Leafpack said:
I purchased the Konnwei KW902 as recommended by Leaf Spy, After plugging it in my 2012 Leaf went haywire and the display in the leaf showed multiple errors. I could not even power off the leaf. After unplugging I was able to turn the leaf off and it still showed multiple errors but was now able to power off the leaf. Has anyone else experienced this issue? After multiple power cycles to the Leaf, I have now gotten rid of the errors.
Why would this device cause such issues? Is this a fake device or does my leaf have other issues?
Any help would be appreciated.
Most likely the draw of the KW902 pulled your 12v battery down lower than it wanted to be and you got the Christmas tree dash lights. Change your lead-acid 12v battery. Make sure not to leave the KW902 plugged in unattended. You can probably use the KW902 without replacing your lead-acid battery but make sure you have the car fully powered on and ready to drive first.

Hi everyone. Although I joined this forum in the summer of 2014, this is my first post. I'll write up a proper intro in the Introductions section soon, but in the meantime I had a question about the display I see using Leaf Spy Lite on a Moto G4 running Android OS 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I'd like to upgrade to Leaf Spy Pro but the main display ("Bat Stats") showing all 96 cells descends below the x-axis to obscure information about the battery voltages and temperature (I think) -

5YByovg.jpg

The "Voltage Histogram" page, on the other hand, looks fine -

uSdHTui.jpg

Is this a problem with the app only on my phone? I didn't want to pay for the upgrade and still have this issue.

Another simple question, and I apologize if it's been asked to death in the 150+ pages of this thread, but is there an up-to-date FAQ or user manual somewhere? I can guess simple things like 13.04V 2.09A indicates the voltage and current draw on the 12v battery, and I do know what SoC means, but a manual would still be a good thing.

Thanks in advance,

Zapped said:
is there an up-to-date FAQ or user manual somewhere?
Yes, there is a manual in the app itself.

For me, go to the 3 vertical dot menu > About & Help > Application Help. At the top, it also contains instructions on how to receive a PDF of it.

Hello,

I have been using a KONNWEI OBDING tool. I scanned a Nissan Leaf and I could get the information to an excel sheet.
I was able to figure out the voltages of the 96 paired cells.

I need to know how can we physically identify the particular paired cell and battery pack 1,2 & 3?

For Example: How can we find out the exact location of the CP10? In which battery pack is it located?

Thank you!

ctrama said:
Hello,

I have been using a KONNWEI OBDING tool. I scanned a Nissan Leaf and I could get the information to an excel sheet.
I was able to figure out the voltages of the 96 paired cells.

I need to know how can we physically identify the particular paired cell and battery pack 1,2 & 3?

For Example: How can we find out the exact location of the CP10? In which battery pack is it located?

Thank you!

I think the cell-pair numbering matches the module locations shown in the service manual. Example: Cell pairs 1and 2 would be in module 1; cell pairs 3 and 4 would be in module 2; ... and cell pairs 95 and 96 would be in module 48.

Back