Telematics upgrade for US import to Canada

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coreminator said:
I would be curious to know after the TCU upgrade if you are logging in via the Nissan Canada or Nissan USA website.

+1 on this! I'm happy enough with using the US site, but would be nice to fully convert over to the Canadian side, if only for the metric instead of imperial figures. Perhaps this might be the thin end of the wedge with getting friendly Canadian dealers on board to start (re)-registering us onto the Canadian portal.

I did have a reach out from Applewood Nissan in Richmond the other day, I had sent in an enquiry in January potentially interested in a new one on lease, but they never got back to me and eventually I settled on my 2013 import. They only just got around to replying now and although I said I'm no longer in the market for a Leaf for now, they DID say to get in touch if I needed anything at all... so I was considering asking them about the whole TCU thing and see what they can do.

From everything Nissan EV Connect support told me, it will be with Nissan US. I have an account on both, as I screwed up initially and made a CA one before realizing the only way to get the 2G TCU to work with Rogers was to get a US account. Then it stopped working anyways!

Coreminator said:
I would be curious to know after the TCU upgrade if you are logging in via the Nissan Canada or Nissan USA website.

I'm on the US site. I didn't even think of trying the Canadian site honestly. Based on what I read before, with a US car on 2G, you had to be registered in the US site so I didn't think it would be any different with the 3G.

In any case, after about 2 weeks, my 3G upgrade is working fine and I can access CarWings and the car does updates when I startup.

Coreminator said:
I too am connecting/logging in with the Nissan USA site.

If there are Nissan dealers in BC who will do the upgrade for $199 CA, I would say jump at the opportunity very quickly before someone higher up notices the loss on the exchange rates or whatever. Maybe nearby US owners will even start coming north to get their 3G upgrades done and save a few bucks on the process.

Anecdotally, Leaf support and marketing seems pretty weak in the Winnipeg area. Of three dealers I have dealt with, the first guys shrugged and said "can't do anything for a US-spec Leaf, no manuals, no parts, no nothing". The second said they simply do not work on Leafs, period. The third had knowledgeable techs who were able to get the work I requested done.

However, while waiting in #3's service area, I wandered into their showroom to see what they would say about a shiny new Leaf (just for info purposes, I'm not really shopping). Approached by an eager young sales guy, I asked to see a 2017 Leaf brochure as none were visible in the big racks of other Nissan brochures. (There was no Leaf among the dozen or so other Nissan cars on the showroom floor, but I wasn't expecting one.) Sales guy looks surprised by my question, heads to the back office to see his boss, and returns to say "nothing at all on hand, go check the Nissan website". OK, I understand they have to respond to the market that's out there but this was a big dealership, shiny new building on the auto dealers strip on an important city route, lots of new Nissans in stock, crowded showroom, etc. and yet they could not even show me a Leaf brochure as a potential upgrade customer. Not surprised or shocked or anything, just sayin!

Update (SUCCESS) copied from our facebook site (https://www.facebook.com/groups/408848509465939/) :

I went to Jonker Nissan in Surrey (19505 Langley Bypass, Surrey,) and had the 3G TCU installed about 2 hrs ago. I came home, logged into the US Nissanconnect (where it was registered to before), accepted the agreement, got the userid/password, went to the car, added the login info, and logged in successfully. Did an update charging stations, everything worked right off.

I had purchased the TCU in the US, before actually knowing that they could do it here, so the installation charge was $143.00CDN.
I always deal with Bill in Jonker Nissan service (he rox), and the service manager is Greg (as Len mentioned before I think).
My next step is to move it to the Canadian NissanConnect, but I may give it a day or so just to let things propagate (should there be a need to).

Update (Phase II): SUCCESS

Re: Moving from US Nissan Connect to CDN Nissan Connect.

I called NissanConnect, and the first service rep did not want to do the move to the CDN portal. She said I would have to go to my dealer (which I knew was wrong). She actually was a bit cranky... so if she could transfer me to Devin, but he wasn't available.

I decided to try online chat support, got a guy named Jacob. Told him I was on the Canadian portal before, but after the 3G upgrade I was put back on the US one. He had some concerns, and warned it may not work, but did move my VIN to the new CDN portal.

Once he added my VIN (I had to tell him my CDN Login), I just had to accept the agreements again, and it gave me the userid/password.

Went to the car, deleted the old US login, entered the CDN one.. and after about 30 seconds... "Your Account has been Activated"!

Tested access from the portal on my PC, as well as the phone app (the phone app one lets you select the country so I moved it to Canada, and used my CDN login).

Anyways.. I'm back to normal now with metric (KM) and my email notifications should work too.

@medtech1- nice!! Please post back if you encounter any problems. I'm still waiting on the TCU to arrive at Jonker Surrey, at which point they promised to call me to book an appointment otherwise I'd try this too right away. Good luck!

Alozzy.. will do.. good luck with yours! If you talk to Bill there, let him know that I was able to move my leaf to the CDN portal.

I had asked them to do that when they installed it, but I think Nissan support told them they couldn't (same misinformation). It would be nice if they just told them to do it, because it does work (using roaming).

Update: I noticed my texting wasn't working, but, learned that I had to "re-enable" the notifications from the car side. Once I did that, all charging notifications worked like they did before.

So just as a heads up for anyone not on our Facebook thread. Jonkers Nissan is now actively being blocked by Nissan (US?) from activating new TCU installs. They are unsure why Nissan is doing this, but have their regional manager looking into it. So for now they have cancelled all installs until they know more. Sadly this happened just before my scheduled install, along with 3 others.

Back to waiting, or planning a trip south!

Chiv.

Yup, me too. TCU was ordered, Jonker has it, was booked to come in. Last week, appointment got pushed back, then latest update was that it's postponed indefinitely

Same for me. Ordered placed a few weeks ago, and now stopped. Dealer in Langley told me that the program is stopped for the whole of NA not just Canada.......

Yep, same thing said to me. So just to get this straight. We currently have a 2G Telematics device which will work through the Rogers network but Nissan won't allow us to use it and won't allow us to upgrade to 3G. Since that doesn't really make sense from a customer satisfaction perspective it makes me wonder what bigger, more negative issue is lurking out there that Nissan is not talking about.

I'm guessing that Nissan wasn't anticipating so many problems with these TCU upgrades. Hopefully they are not going to bail on us, as they must be getting a lot of pushback from dealers who are fed up taking the brunt of the customer complaints and frustrations. Pretty poorly executed...

No idea why they didn't just make a Wi-Fi connected TCU or provide a generic SIM card slot for BYO Internet connectivity.

That's disappointing. But good to know they're not just blocking Canadian's from the upgrade.

Perhaps there's something wrong with their side of the system and all installs are blocked until it's fixed.

Or perhaps they've noticed Canadian's and are in the process of killing the roaming feature... since every CSR I've spoken to has said Nissan Connect shouldn't work in Canada with a US Leaf...

Still hoping the program isn't entirely dead... remote climate control in the winter and summer was a nice perk :)

Chiv.

Can we speculate the free cellular data connectivity service will end when the new Leaf is available for sale later this year? Perhaps Nissan will grandfather the free cellular data plans for 2011 to 2017 owners. It would be similar to what Tesla did with their supercharger plan. The early adopters are grandfathered in with free supercharger access while new owners will need to pay.

chivalryx said:
That's disappointing. But good to know they're not just blocking Canadian's from the upgrade.

Perhaps there's something wrong with their side of the system and all installs are blocked until it's fixed.

Or perhaps they've noticed Canadian's and are in the process of killing the roaming feature... since every CSR I've spoken to has said Nissan Connect shouldn't work in Canada with a US Leaf...

Still hoping the program isn't entirely dead... remote climate control in the winter and summer was a nice perk :)

Chiv.
Well, just for the record, "CarWings" for my US import 2012 Leaf SL is working just fine, both the charging report emails and the semi-daily "your energy rating is Silver, etc." reports. I am connecting to USA Nissan portal.

My 3G upgrade route was to purchase a TCU module from a Nissan parts place in Texas, install it myself, tinker with it for a few weeks to try and get it connecting and, finally, to see a local dealer who got it working/connecting with Nissan.

The network service seems to default to AT&T which works OK in the southern Manitoba / Winnipeg area. Wonder what the cell service is costing Nissan or perhaps it's just a tiny rounding error in their business costs?

OTOH, serving the relatively few Canadians who have acquired a Leaf by import from the US is perhaps comparable (to Nissan) to serving US Leaf customers who venture north in their travels to Canada and who might feel aggrieved to have their usual NissanConnect services fall apart at the border. I can't imagine a lot of US Leaf owners touring Canada but there are the much larger group of ICE Nissan owners to look after too.

The lastest is that Jonkers is not allowed to do it anymore. I just purchased an imported Leaf and tried to register with Nissan Connect Canada and Nissan won't even let me do that. Talked to Jonkers and they have told me flat out that they cannot do it.

The best that I have been informed is that I can take my Leaf back to the US and have the Telemetrics Unit upgraded. Problem with that is that US based TCU"s use ATnT and Canada uses Rogers.

I have been told that if I do do this upgrade, I will get at least partial functionality of Carwings when I am North of the Border. But like others here have said, absolutely ridiculous implementation of this system.

In addition, I have to register with the US version of Nissan Connect and I have to have a US based address in order to make that happen. In my case, I have the ability to do these things but for a Canadian who doesn't have either proximity to the border and/or a US based address they can use, you are basically out of luck. Thumbs down Nissan.

At least on the good side of things. With 2015 and up, all upgrades are free.

sirpurrcival said:
The lastest is that Jonkers is not allowed to do it anymore. I just purchased an imported Leaf and tried to register with Nissan Connect Canada and Nissan won't even let me do that. Talked to Jonkers and they have told me flat out that they cannot do it.

The best that I have been informed is that I can take my Leaf back to the US and have the Telemetrics Unit upgraded. Problem with that is that US based TCU"s use ATnT and Canada uses Rogers.

I have been told that if I do do this upgrade, I will get at least partial functionality of Carwings when I am North of the Border. But like others here have said, absolutely ridiculous implementation of this system.

In addition, I have to register with the US version of Nissan Connect and I have to have a US based address in order to make that happen. In my case, I have the ability to do these things but for a Canadian who doesn't have either proximity to the border and/or a US based address they can use, you are basically out of luck. Thumbs down Nissan.

At least on the good side of things. With 2015 and up, all upgrades are free.

IF you take it he Nissan in BLaine, they will do it for $200 usd, ( know its more that jonker) but they will do the same work. It will work fine, they just say it may not work as well to cover their butts.. THat sucks Jonker wont do it anymore..

Back