Help: Homelink mirror upgrade on 2015 model S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
govrin said:
My S has a regular, non powered mirror.

Also is there any reason the "Hyundai" mirror wouldn't work?

So the S doesn't have the auto dimming feature? - I did not know that.

The mirror you listed looks just like the one I installed in my SV - mine came from another Nissan though. You will need to figure out which wires are the 12V power wires and which is the ground/negative in the attached cable.

I have a SV with a plain non-powered mirror. When I installed a homelink dimming mirror I tapped into the map lights power in the overhead console. The only minor downside is the mirror stays powered on for ~10 minutes after the car shuts off, like if you left an interior light on or door open.

If you want switched power I think you have to run a wire down to the dash somewhere.

Any downside with that? Just a bit more power consumption no?

Can you tell me what other hardware I need to get and how to minimize alterations to the car (it's a lease)? Preferably I would keep the Leaf and its wiring as "unscathed" as possible (or at all if possible).

Thanks

Besides the slight waste of electricity, the other possible downside on the map light power is you don't need a key to operate the Homelink buttons. So if you park outside that may be a security issue.

Normal wire tap connectors are probably fine--I doubt the dealer will be removing your overhead console at the end of the lease to check the wiring for damage.

For prosperity and as thanks to this thread, here's what I did for my 2017 Leaf S:

1. I bought this mirror:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182228589116?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
It is a Homelink, compass and auto-dim mirror, cost $75 and can be used with rolling code garage openers. It is a Hyundai part but has no Hyundai or any other logo on it and fits perfectly.

2. Since the wire cover is the short kind and is about an inch short I also bought this longer wire cover (didn't get it yet):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222086407911?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

3. It's easy to open the overhead console after reading this:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18954&start=10#p422867

4. I did have to do some soldering to shorten the harness cable the mirror came with and combine the 2 12V wires that were originally intended to be connected to constant power and switched power.

5. Wired exactly like here:
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18954&start=20#p423048
Yellow - 12V that turns off (verified in my car) after 10 minutes
Black - ground
I didn't know whether the T tap connector required stripping the wire first, know that it doesn't. Just close it with pliers and it's connected.
I did cut a bit of the sleeve the wires were coming out of in the Nissan.

Good luck with yours and thanks a lot for all the posters, I couldn't have done this without you!

Bumping this to the top since this is the best thread IMHO for all the info needed to add a self-dimming mirror to a Leaf S. I just put a Gentex 453 into my 2017 S and I followed the instructions in govrin's post 2 up from here. It is an easier job than I thought. The hardest part for me was getting the old mirror out. There is a good post on this - with pictures - on page 2 of the thread. I still need to get a longer cable cover since the one I have only extends to about 5" and isn't quite long enough. That's a small nit though and I'm really looking forward to having the self-dimming mirror now that daylight savings time is over.

Another bump. The information on removing the upper console and the wiring harness also helped me hardwire a dash cam in my wife's Leaf S. I used a similar thread in the Bolt forums to get the same information on my car and now both are set up with hardwired dash cams with no extra lengths tucked in around panels and airbags.

Thanks to all who took pictures and took the time to test the wires!

Back