How To: Backup camera for S model with OE parts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what i have, im looking to just buy the handle and the camera, and run my own wire along the floor to my kick (unless there is a camera harness already in place) . that being said here are photos of my kick, would anyone be so kind to tell me what ill need to do? once i have ran my 4 wires to the kick? Thanks

kBaIeYG.jpg

Well good news. I have successfully installed the OEM camera on a 2013 SV without the requisite wiring in the kickpanel. My issues of not finding +6V were due to the reverse light fuse being blown (likely from the DRL module that was added for Canadian import laws). Doing this my way requires wiring the camera directly to the AV unit. The various posts on here really helped. All I needed to buy was the camera, handle, and some 4 conductor wire.
A few things to take away:
1. Instead of removing the rear left C-pillar trim, I just loosened it off at the top and used some of those wire pulling tools for installing home theatre systems etc... I had the camera in and the wired up to the driver kick panel in less than an hour this way. Toughest part was fishing the wire through the rubber boot connecting the c-pillar to the lift gate.
ODid9RL.jpg

OKOnbrJ.jpg

Wel2oay.jpg

2. The wiring behind the AV unit took some time to figure out, but its straight forward now. Interestingly, the negative (black) lead on the camera doesn't need to be hooked up. Not sure where it grounds (either the mounting bracket or the image shield I guess, but I left it floating.

3. Because I wired the camera directly (no harness), you need to supply your own pins. You only need 4, so I cut off the camera connector leaving enough room to strip and solder both sides of the wire.

4. Wiring for the camera is as follows
Red (+6V) -> Pin #39
Yellow (Video) -> Pin #40
White (Shield) -> Pin #60

I used the 4th pin from the camera to use the camera sense (Pin # 58) and wired it to a screw on the AV unit (chassis ground).

So i attempted this and well it didnt go so well , i cut the following wires, on the M21, 24,25, 8, 9 and attached as followed.
Camera M21 Connector

Red ------------> White Pin #24 (+6.2V)
Black ----------> Black Pin #25 (Common)
Yellow --------> Red Pin #9 (Video)
White ---------> Black/Grey Pin #8 (Shield)

za16wrN.jpg

anyone have any suggestions?? in my photo you can see one fo the black lines has tape on it.. that was wire #8. im lost and annoyed..

I am stumped on the step involving removing the wires from the backup camera wiring harness. I have removed the very front piece of the wiring harness, and I have flipped up the plastic locking mechanism. What step am I missing?

I got to the same point you are at and went out to buy the cone-shaped multi-size drill bit instead. I found it much easier to drill a hole where the backup camera wire harness wold have come through the hatch had the camera been factory installed. True, the drill bit is a bit expensive and you may have no other use for it, but it doesn't increase the total cost of the project all that much percentage-wise. Drilling the hole is quick and easy.

I ended up figuring out how to eject the pins. I think drilling the hole in the hatch would have been the better option; much less chance of a mistake. And the grommet the harness ships with is pretty stout....it would never leak.

Here's how you do it. The pins are held in underneath by plastic grabber anvil. I used a sewing needle to pull back that anvil and then pushed the pin on the terminal side with a jewlers screwdriver. Pushed right out.

Thank you OP. it works great for my 2013, S model.
just my 2 cents, in case it was posted, my apology. make sure you put a fishing wire n tie to the old wiring harness BEFORE you pull it from the hatchback. in that case, the fishing wire will help you to pull the new wiring harness into hatchback easily.

Just finished retrofitting factory backup camera to my 2013 - mid year SL Model. I purchased these items:

Camera: 28442-3NH2A
White Lift Gate Handle for Camera: 90606-3NF5B
Vehicle to Hatch Harness: 24051-3NF0B

My car came with the wiring harness for the camera inside the hatch already so that was not needed. Other than going to home depot to pickup 2 washers and self tapping screws to mount the camera inside the hatch handle, the install was straight forward following the instructions found on this web site.

Thank you to all that have contributed to this.

I did successfully install rear view camera without M21 wire.
from rear qt panel run 4 wires to AV.

hardest part was...
Red (+6V) -> Pin #39
Yellow (Video) -> Pin #40
White (Shield) -> Pin #60
Black(chassis ground) -> Pin#58 and ground both.

real challenge was pin rear AV unit. I drilled and make bigger hole and used 4 pins from old handle(wo camera). that looks fit on rear AV.
after cut 4 wire and pins from old handle lock wire put them into rear AV connecter. then solder 4 wires from camera to them.
it fits and works great!

Thanks all post here help me to figure out.(30min to hatch rear qt harness but took 4 hours search forum, wire to AV.)

I just did it on my '13 SL (2/13 date) and just needed the body to hatch harness, camera, and new handle.

I have a 2014 S with 4" screen from AUTO-VOX M6 https://wheelstips.com/best-rear-view-camera I'm in the middle of adding rear view camera and 4" to 8" upgrade today. I don't have a fuse in fuse 23, but when moving the red/violet wire, pin 1, from the 4 inch screen connector; there's already a brown/yellow wire in the new location where to connect the wire near the floorboard passenger side Excuse the blurry picture, holding flashlight in mouth while balancing the phone. Not sure what to do. Help! Thanks

I have a 2012 and I'm trying to be sure I have the right harness for M84.

I did the steps in this article, but I don't have the wiring in the body harness to M21 (or in the dashboard). So now I'm trying to run 4 wires direct to the AV unit. I have the wires run, but I don't know how to ping them into the AV unit.

Questions:
1) I see a 40 pin unit in the back of the AV control unit, Is this M84? Because the service manual shows the pins starting at 21, going through 60. But the plug itself shows a 1 in the upper left (as viewed from the harness). How do I ensure I'm seeing M84?

I want to make sure I don't fry my AV unit.

I see a post here which describes it, but the images are all gone. Is there a way to see them?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10107

2) I don't have wires for the camera slots in my M84--they're just open spots. How/where do I get pins for this connector, so that I can solder the wires to them?

dflem said:
Thanks for the info! I was able to successfully install the camera in my 2013 SV. I discovered during the installation that is not really necessary to replace the two wiring harnesses. Simply run 4 wires from the camera to the M21 connector in the left kick panel by the drivers seat. Like this:

Camera --------- M21 Connector

Red --------------> White Pin #24 (+6.2V)
Black ------------> Black Pin #25 (Common)
Yellow ----------> Red Pin #9 (Video)
White -----------> Black/Grey Pin #8 (Shield)

Then connect M21 Black Pin #7 (Camera Sense) to chassis ground.

That's all there is to it! Works like a charm.

Grounding Pin #7 lets the AV unit know that a camera is present. The AV unit detects when the car is in reverse and applies 6.2 volts to Pin #24 and this turns on the camera.

I did this on the SV. I expect it will work on the S as well.

I know the is an older posting, but I am planing to do this modification to my '13 SV. I have a few questions for all the experts out there.

1, The 4-conductor wire running from the camera to M21, what gauge wire should I get?
2, For the "black Pin #7" to be grounded, I assume I am splicing the wire to the ground somewhere...where should I connect to?
3, What is your favorite and most foolproof splicing method recommendation?

THANK YOU in advance!!

Sorry to dredge up an old thread!

I've got a 2011 JDM leaf and I wanted to install a reversing camera so I bought a second hand tailgate handle with camera.

Step 1: I connected the sense pin at the kick panel connector and now when I engage reverse I get a blank screen with the guide lines on.

Step 2: I noted that the kick panel connector has the Grey, Black, White and Red wires occupied.

Step 3: I removed the tailgate trim and I've got the loose 4 pin connector with the Grey, Black, White and Red wires.

However when I engage reverse there is no voltage at the white pin and the black pin does not go to ground? Is there likely a bit of loom missing somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Back