Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
webeleafowners said:
jjeff said:
webeleafowners said:
I would be curious which EVSE's ignore the J1772 rules. For example, does the duosida ignore do this? How about the units from "EVSE upgrade".

Thanks in advance.
It's my guess that all the L2 EVSEs that also work on 120v ignore the 12a limit. I know all mine do and will happily charge at 120v at all the current settings they will do on 240v. Well I guess except my '13 EVSEupgrade'd EVSE which will do 20a L2 but restricts 120v to 12a :(
Note I'm almost positive the new Juiceboxe's output full amperage on 120v, their old ones do and from looking at their website it looks like the new ones do, I know I personally wouldn't be interested in any EVSE that didn't :)

Well, at least on our smart car, our leads than one year old juice box only charges at 12 amps on 120. Haven't tried the leaf yet.
My guess is, just like the pre '13 Leafs, your car is restricting the 120v charging current, not the EVSE :)
Again my Juicebox that happly charges my '13 Leaf @ 27.5a on 120v only charges 12a with my '12 Leaf with the 3.6kw charger, I believe your Smart car is like my '12 Leaf.

jjeff said:
webeleafowners said:
jjeff said:
It's my guess that all the L2 EVSEs that also work on 120v ignore the 12a limit. I know all mine do and will happily charge at 120v at all the current settings they will do on 240v. Well I guess except my '13 EVSEupgrade'd EVSE which will do 20a L2 but restricts 120v to 12a :(
Note I'm almost positive the new Juiceboxe's output full amperage on 120v, their old ones do and from looking at their website it looks like the new ones do, I know I personally wouldn't be interested in any EVSE that didn't :)

Well, at least on our smart car, our leads than one year old juice box only charges at 12 amps on 120. Haven't tried the leaf yet.
My guess is, just like the pre '13 Leafs, your car is restricting the 120v charging current, not the EVSE :)
Again my Juicebox that happly charges my '13 Leaf @ 27.5a on 120v only charges 12a with my '12 Leaf with the 3.6kw charger, I believe your Smart car is like my '12 Leaf.

Yah. I'm not going to chase it down. Not worth it. When down south with the smart we just charge overnight or at the myriad of public free chargers at the various shopping areas. When up north we just plug it in to the juicebox once or twice a week. I appreciate the input though.

Sorry for all the previous spelling errors. My iphone defaults to Spanish keyboard and spell check and I just don't pay enough attention.

Exceeding a standard in this way is not "violating" it. A car that does not wish to accept more than 12a on 120v doesn't have to, and an EVSE that does not wish to offer more than 12a at 120v doesn't have to. It would be violating the standard if the car pulled 24a when the EVSE only offered 12a.

It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that the cables and J1772 plugs on the EVSE and receptacles on the cars can handle the voltages and amperages they operate at, not the standard.

davewill said:
Exceeding a standard in this way is not "violating" it. A car that does not wish to accept more than 12a on 120v doesn't have to, and an EVSE that does not wish to offer more than 12a at 120v doesn't have to. It would be violating the standard if the car pulled 24a when the EVSE only offered 12a.

It's the responsibility of the manufacturer to ensure that the cables and J1772 plugs on the EVSE and receptacles on the cars can handle the voltages and amperages they operate at, not the standard.

So far every car I have tested except the Cuda follows the J1772 specification. The Cuda always drew 30A at 240V. They made so few cars that might have been only that car so I do not want to say that all Cuda's are bad.

GlennD said:
davewill said:

So far every car I have tested except the Cuda follows the J1772 specification. The Cuda always drew 30A at 240V. They made so few cars that might have been only that car so I do not want to say that all Cuda's are bad.

You know that the LEAF, as well as every Tesla powered car, exceeds 12 or 16 amps on 120 volts?

Actually ordered one from zencar after finding this thread. Ordered J1772 + 16A evse + 10m + 14-50 plug.
Plugged it into 240V plug today and into both my volt and 500e and both would charge at 120V only. Any insight as to why that would be?

Sandyjb said:
Actually ordered one from zencar after finding this thread. Ordered J1772 + 16A evse + 10m + 14-50 plug.
Plugged it into 240V plug today and into both my volt and 500e and both would charge at 120V only. Any insight as to why that would be?
Wow, 10m! thats over a 30' J1772 cable :shock:
AFA your question, how do you know it's only charging at 120v? If the EVSE is wired correctly you shouldn't even have the capability of charging at 120v(plugging into a 14-50 plug) unless you've made a converter plug. You see with the 240v 14-50 plug you don't even use the neutral pin(which would be required for 120v operation) you only use the two hots and ground. Something doesn't sound right :?
If you have a volt meter I'd measure the voltage to your 14-50 plug, you should get 240v between the two outer blades or 120v between each blade and the center neutral blade or ground(roundish pin). You should get no voltage between the neutral and ground pins.

jjeff said:
Wow, 10m! thats over a 30' J1772 cable :shock:
AFA your question, how do you know it's only charging at 120v? If the EVSE is wired correctly you shouldn't even have the capability of charging at 120v(plugging into a 14-50 plug) unless you've made a converter plug. You see with the 240v 14-50 plug you don't even use the neutral pin(which would be required for 120v operation) you only use the two hots and ground. Something doesn't sound right :?
If you have a volt meter I'd measure the voltage to your 14-50 plug, you should get 240v between the two outer blades or 120v between each blade and the center neutral blade or ground(roundish pin). You should get no voltage between the neutral and ground pins.

Well the 14-50 was installed (by a electrician) right before connecting the EVSE. Measured the voltage coming out and it was showing 240v (took a pic as well). I can tell its charging at 120 because the Fiat has a display showing what V its charging at. The Volt, I can tell based on time ( showed almost 10 hours) and in the app it shows as portable cord and has auto reduced it to a 8 amp default from 12. No converter plugs in play now. Just a simple 14-50 to 14-50 plug into the 240 receptacle in the wall.

When you say the neutral pin shouldnt be at play, does that mean it shouldnt be wired at all to begin with? There are 4 wires running to the receptacle, 1 ground, 2 hots and im guessing a neutral. Should the neutral not be connected? Appreciate the help and quick reply!

Sandyjb said:
jjeff said:
When you say the neutral pin shouldnt be at play, does that mean it shouldnt be wired at all to begin with? There are 4 wires running to the receptacle, 1 ground, 2 hots and im guessing a neutral. Should the neutral not be connected?
The neutral should absolutely be connected from the breaker to the outlet, because that's how a 14-50R is done (if you didn't want to run a neutral, you could use a 6-50R instead). But the connection from the plug to the EVSE should use the two hots, and the ground, and usually doesn't need the neutral. From your description, you probably do have only three wires going from the plug into the EVSE, but they're hot, neutral and ground, instead of the correct hot, hot and ground. AFAIK, that's the only way you'd be seeing 120V out of the EVSE.

In short, it sounds like the EVSE is miswired, rather than the outlet.

P.S. But just to be sure...

Sandyjb said:
Well the 14-50 was installed (by a electrician) right before connecting the EVSE. Measured the voltage coming out and it was showing 240v (took a pic as well).

Could you post that picture here?

@Sandyjb, you mentioned that the ZenCar EVSE you purchased was 16A, was it this one?

http://www.e-zencar.net/ev-charging-10a-16a/

A link to the EVSE you purchased from ZenCar would be really helpful.

Again if you have a volt meter, measure on your outlet the voltage between the two outer vertical slots(not the roundish one or not the center vertical slot) it should be 240v, if not it's the outlet, if it is 240v then it sounds like the plug on your EVSE is wired wrong. Does your EVSE plug even have the center vertical pin? As it's not needed for EVSEs I believe most of the time it's been removed on the plug, at least it was on my Juicebox EVSE.
As Wmcbrine said yes the neutral should be wired to your 14-50 outlet, just in case someone ever plugs in something other than a EVSE like a range, without the neutral you'd have no option for 120v that would be used by things like the range light bulb or clock or maybe even convenience outlet in the range. Note when I first wired my 14-50 outlet I didn't wire the neutral because I knew my EVSE didn't use it but I later added the neutral, which I think may have been code all along.

The EVSE Alozzy linked sure looks like my Ebusbar 16a L2 EVSE, I'm kind of surprised it came with a 50a plug, unless they were thinking someone might already have a 14-50 outlet and wanted a EVSE to plug into it.
Alozzy's 30a EVSE has the 14-50 plug and outputs 240v so they must know how to wire it :?

Super helpful guys! Seriously...cant tell you how much I appreciate in the input. Based on what you said above, I decided to pop open the charging plug to see the wiring. Pics are below.

Voltage check
nYrA4FMZrGeLd3B29

https://goo.gl/photos/nYrA4FMZrGeLd3B29
Wiring....it appears to be one of the hots is not wired?
Mhq6rFdeGLRzfpk57

https://goo.gl/photos/Mhq6rFdeGLRzfpk57
The red one is the non wired pin
dvNgEgsYHXjoo6uK7

https://goo.gl/photos/dvNgEgsYHXjoo6uK7

Based on the above, do I basically just disconnect the green/yellow wire and connect it to the non wired pin?

Looks like they've got the neutral and the ground connected and only one hot. Weird.

Again though, which EVSE did you actually purchase from ZenCar?

Nice photos! Photo #2 tells it all, it's wired wrong :eek:
Green is correct as is RED but the BLACK should go to the other verticle pin, not the middle neutral pin!
Personally I'd just move it and also remove the middle pin(neutral) that the black wire is going to now, it's just not needed.
Just to verify, your EVSE does say it's capable of 240v? I'm sure it is but if for chance it says 120v only and you rewire it the way I'm saying......well lets just saying by rewiring it you WILL be putting 240v to the EVSE, just want to make sure it's truly a 240v EVSE :)

You could go through the hassle of mailing it back to China but truthfully it will probably only take you a few minutes to rewire it and it will be as good as new, it would take you more time to drive to the PO to mail it, kind of bad someone didn't know how to wire it though :? Of course they don't use the 14-50 outlet in China but it's still kind of unforgivable they made that kind of mistake!

Its this one (that I sent the link to zencar when ordering)
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Accept-product-customized-j1772-evse-for_60495324679.html

Off their website, I assume its this one since the actual EVSE and J1772 connector look pretty much exactly like what I got.
http://www.e-zencar.net/charging-mode-2-16a/

A pic of what I actually got
https://goo.gl/photos/vsMXuDPqzbbWqEkg9
https://goo.gl/photos/ygmpmup5xdMXCuRy9

Sandyjb said:
Based on the above, do I basically just disconnect the green/yellow wire and connect it to the non wired pin?
NO! doing that would most certainly blow your EVSE!
Move the black wire to the unused pin :)
Leave the red and green wires where they are.

jjeff said:
Nice photos! Photo #2 tells it all, it's wired wrong :eek:
Green is correct as is RED but the BLACK should go to the other verticle pin, not the middle neutral pin!
Personally I'd just move it and also remove the middle pin(neutral) that the black wire is going to now, it's just not needed.
Just to verify, your EVSE does say it's capable of 240v? I'm sure it is but if for chance it says 120v only and you rewire it the way I'm saying......well lets just saying by rewiring it you WILL be putting 240v to the EVSE, just want to make sure it's truly a 240v EVSE :)

You could go through the hassle of mailing it back to China but truthfully it will probably only take you a few minutes to rewire it and it will be as good as new, it would take you more time to drive to the PO to mail it, kind of bad someone didn't know how to wire it though :? Of course they don't use the 14-50 outlet in China but it's still kind of unforgivable they made that kind of mistake!

Yes the back does say till 240 50hz. Its the first thing we checked when the car was only getting 120.
Thanks so much for the quick turn around. Going to re wire it right now and see what happens!

jjeff said:
Sandyjb said:

Thank you! I always assume the black and white wires are the neutral/ground. Good thing Im not an electrician!

Sandyjb said:
jjeff said:
Sandyjb said:

Thank you! I always assume the black and white wires are the neutral/ground. Good thing Im not an electrician!
In the automotive world black is ground, in AC home wiring black is a hot as is red, green is always ground in the AC world.

Back