Purchased AV unit directly (cash and carry)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know. They wanted $4300 to just put in a 100 amp sub panel and the unit right next to my main panel. It shouldn't have been more than $2000. BTW the plug is actually a NEMA 6-50 since the AV unit doesn't use a neutral, only a ground and two hots.

Bassman said:
...since the AV unit doesn't use a neutral, only a ground and two hots.
This is definitely good to know since it means that the AV unit can't be converted to be a 120 volt EVSE (ignoring an amperage change on the control pilot signal). Thanks!

Bassman said:
I know. They wanted $4300 to just put in a 100 amp sub panel and the unit right next to my main panel. It shouldn't have been more than $2000.
That's amazing. My EV Project quote for basically the same thing (sub panel a bit farther away, minus the EVSE) came in around $1250.

I received my AV EVSE Tuesday evening the 28th, but my electrician is out of town for the week, so I won't be able to install it and claim the 50% tax credit in 2010. I note that the form on Nissan's site under Buy -> 'Rebates and Incentives' now says 30%, but it still says expiration in 2010. My understanding it that the new tax bill just signed extends the 30% through 2011.

My Nissan dashboard still shows my charging dock status as "schedule installation." Is this what you other cash & carry folks have, or do I need to do something more ?

I am impressed with the detailed quality of the installation and user manual. They make a big point about the need for a local permit and inspection of the installation. I can see that the installation is not difficult and that it is no big deal, but my town's charges for permits are very reasonable, so since I have to delay a week or so anyway I might as well get it permitted. I know that there has been previous opinion that the IRS won't care.

Are most of you folks getting these last-minute installs skipping the permit and inspection? I guess you could pull the permit after the installation if you wished, but if this occurred next year there would be a public record with 2011 on it.

Mine is installed but my second meter from PG&E will not be installed until Monday, so the power to the unit is currently off. All my receipts and payments were made in 2010 so I'm going to claim it this year (if AMT status will allow).

tbleakne said:
Are most of you folks getting these last-minute installs skipping the permit and inspection? I guess you could pull the permit after the installation if you wished, but if this occurred next year there would be a public record with 2011 on it.

I didn't. My electrician got the necessary permit beforehand and the inspector came this morning. That all went a lot quicker than I was expecting.

I pulled the permit and did the dedicated circuit install with a weatherhead, meter socket, 75 amp breaker panel and 6-50R receptacle two weeks ago. The County inspector green tagged it and PG & E hooked up the power last week, so all I had to do this week was get the unit, add the pigtail , mount it on the wall and plug it in. The electrical work was pretty basic and took only about 4 hours total to do. It's not rocket science.

I finally got my AV EVSE installed. The installation took longer than I expected partly because I believe the main guy who gave me the quote did not come and this new person was a bit of novice. Also I needed additional tandem breakers and he did not have it and had to wait for his team to bring it. At the end the install went fine.
Pictures below

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Looks like the install guy forgot to put on the plastic ring that covers the screws on the AV unit. It just snaps in to cover the screw heads for a cleaner look.

AV called today to see if I wanted to order my evse. I said no thank you I will be ordering from someone else ;)
Anyway they must have some in stock for those that want the AV unit.

csriram45 said:
I finally got my AV EVSE installed. The installation took longer than I expected partly because I believe the main guy who gave me the quote did not come and this new person was a bit of novice. Also I needed additional tandem breakers and he did not have it and had to wait for his team to bring it. At the end the install went fine.

Did you go with Captive Fuel?

I am having some trouble getting everything done. Some of this is due to a second meter, and some is due to inexperienced installers.

friendnumber1 said:
csriram45 said:

Did you go with Captive Fuel?

I am having some trouble getting everything done. Some of this is due to a second meter, and some is due to inexperienced installers.

Yeah the installer who came seemed a little inexperienced, and took much longer than it should have taken. However at the end the job was done alright and was fairly inexpensive so no complaints. I did not go for second meter as the cost was a limiting factor and I was not sure if I wanted to go that route currently. E9a rate with PGE for now should be ok I guess.

I went with Captive Fuel as well. They are finishing my panel upgrade as I type this. The AV install went fine last week, looks great on the wall. I think they were a little overbooked at year end. After a long talk with PG&E and having them run a lot of numbers, I will be going with E9a. It was going to cost an additional $600 to install an additional panel for the second meter. No matter how I ran the numbers with them, it just wasn't going to save enough in the long run.

friendnumber1 said:
Ready2plugin-

Does the Giants logo mean you live in the city as well?

Pleasanton...but work in Sunnyvale. I moved up here in 1999 right when they opened the new park. I've been a fan ever since.

Well then, you will no doubt have less permitting issues.

Yesterday was a FAIL.

I was told by PG&E, that I am the first to have a second meter installed in the City for charging up an EV.

Nate thinks he can placate the City re their concerns.

We shall see.

Pleasanton had its own challenge. They required a 200 amp main panel, even though I had room on my 125. The city inspector is coming on Tuesday, I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime, good luck!

Back