$17500 off new leaf? Duke energy promotion

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it about 2 months ago when I bought our 2017. Nissan was partnering with Plug-in NC at the time, but it was the same deal. It's legit and really does make the car half price. IMO it's an outstanding deal.

that is good to know, what kind of paperwork do you have to give them to get the discount?
is it really as simple as showing them you have a duke electricity account?
I hope it is an immediate discount, not some crazy rebate.

My biggest worry is how much prices will fall on pre 2018 Nissan Leafs' after the Gen 2 is announced. Might seem like a good deal now, but might turn out to be about average in six months.

The main power company in Colorado did the same basic sale until the end of March and I took advantage of it. Xcel and Nissan put up $10k as a discount at the dealership. $7,500 is a additional federal tax rebate that can only be used up to the amount you pay in federal taxes. If you only pay $2,000 in federal taxes, you can only get up to $2,000 of that $7,500 credit . You also won't get this back until you file your taxes for 2017 in about a year. Colorado also gave $5,000 in tax rebates which can be signed over to the dealer, so the dealer will just lower the price another $5k. My total cost for a new 2017 Leaf SV is $13,505 including dealer handling, delivery fees, sales tax, and incentives. I am happy with the deal I got and found it to be straight forward. I simply needed to show my statement with my account number and the dealer lowered the price upfront by $10,000. You do need to be sure you pay federal taxes and be aware that $7,500 will be paid by you upfront and will be refunded after paying 2017 taxes.

thanks for the feedback. I dont' think I will have 7500 tax liability this year.
Trying to figure out if I can write it off as a business expense and get the $7500
. It appears so, will have to do some more research on that.

aluminumwelder said:
that is good to know, what kind of paperwork do you have to give them to get the discount?
is it really as simple as showing them you have a duke electricity account?
I hope it is an immediate discount, not some crazy rebate.

My biggest worry is how much prices will fall on pre 2018 Nissan Leafs' after the Gen 2 is announced. Might seem like a good deal now, but might turn out to be about average in six months.

Yes, I emailed my salesperson a PDF of my latest Duke Energy bill. That was all there was to it. I signed one extra form that said the dealer keeps the rebate and in return they lowered the price by $10k on the spot.

Yes, I'm sure the next-gen EVs coming right around the corner will have a big price on today's vehicles, no doubt about that. OTOH, I'm sure we won't be seeing any incentives other than the FTC for any 2018 MY vehicle.

aluminumwelder said:
thanks for the feedback. I dont' think I will have 7500 tax liability this year.
Trying to figure out if I can write it off as a business expense and get the $7500
. It appears so, will have to do some more research on that.

You may already know, but if you lease the vehicle, you will get the full $7500 credit in the form of lower lease payments, regardless of your tax liability.

EDIT: I just read the fine print (emphasis theirs):
Nissan is pleased to extend a special incentive of $10,000* off of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price to all eligible Duke Energy customers who PURCHASE a LEAF from dealer inventory.
So perhaps that is incompatible with a lease.

The 10K Duke Energy/Nissan discount seems pretty good combined with the $7500 Fed tax credit. I leased my last Leaf so the tax credit lowered my payment. For a purchase, you need to have paid at least $7500 in fed tax to get the credit, right? Not owe $7500.

The offer says the $10K cannot be combined with any other Nissan discount. Does anyone know if that includes repeat customer, credit on lease turn in charge for excess wear (scratches in paint), etc?

Thanks

RaleighEV said:
For a purchase, you need to have paid at least $7500 in fed tax to get the credit, right? Not owe $7500.
My understand is it works either way. As long as your total tax footprint is at least $7500, you get the full rebate.

RaleighEV said:
The offer says the $10K cannot be combined with any other Nissan discount. Does anyone know if that includes repeat customer, credit on lease turn in charge for excess wear (scratches in paint), etc?
Don't fuss over the fine print too much. Nominally, the deals can't be combined, so you probably won't have luck asking for that. But a motivated dealer can still work the numbers in your favor to at least the same amount if not more. My advice is: outline all the discounts you want, tell them you have another dealer willing to give you that price, and ask them to beat it.

dm33 said:
Can you negotiate a better deal then get the discount? Or is it off the full sticker price.
The dealer will probably start by giving you the $10K discount right off the bat, since it's not money out of their pocket. You can still negotiate a better deal by using the $10k off number as a starting point and working downward from there.

looks like Nissan sales are slow, this promotion has been extended for a 3rd straight month in a row. was supposed to end in july, then august, and NOW September, lol.

https://www.duke-energy.com/energy-education/energy-savings-and-efficiency/plug-in-electric-vehicles

I'm seeing similar offers in other areas, usually associated with the local utility. This has got me wondering, who is actually putting the money up for these rebates, the utilities, Nissan or someone else?

pretty sure they are taking the money out of your bank account. you are a very generous community member, thank you!

You're an electric utility which makes money by selling electricity. The government discourages consumption by doing things like banning incandescent lights. So you look around and the "AHA!" moment hits - Electric Cars!

You decide it's in your best long-term interests to boost BEV car sales, so you prime the pump with generous rebates. No doubt Nissan is kicking in some money as well to get rid of 2016-17 inventory. Between this Utility Rebate, Fed and State I got $20,500 off a 2017 S.

I don't care who pays for what and how but I received a helluva discount!

well it doesn't look good when you have to practically give away the car in order to sell it. really sad they had to extend it month after month.

My utility has been offering the same discount.

I found one dealer 200 miles away that was willing to add a dealer discount on top of the 10K discount. Otherwise, it's really only about a $2k discount right now.

A Leaf S is currently selling for about $8K off of MSRP in my area.

I still ended up just buying a used one.

Nissan has confirmed to me that the Duke promotion is extended through at least DEC.

That said, how much discount are people seeing now with the 2018s right around the corner. As was pointed out above, if Joe Schmo off the street can get $8k off and the Duke thing only gets you $10k and the dealers are standing firm that they won't discount on top of that, not much of a deal. If, however, you can get the $10k + some extra dealer discount, then we might have a game afoot!

Back