Jaguar I-PACE BESUV available 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Jaguar wanted to they could partner with Tesla. CCS socket can support SuperCharger plug (non-US) with
a small internal modification costing 100-300€.
Tesla will happily accept vehicles at SC that can charge at 100kW rate. Charging fee directly to customer
plus SC management fee to Jag (or partnership with expansion). Optional extra buyers can pay.
This would also drastically add to Jags desirability. But there is not enough production capacity anyway.
Hoping one day CCS network will be mature and works inter-continentally without complications is already
a long shot. Expecting 100kW instead 50kW is half a lightyear away.

Production model I-Pace debut confirmed:

2018 Jaguar I-Pace: production car set for Frankfurt debut

The Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV concept made its European debut at Geneva but the production car will star at Frankfurt in September 2017

A production version of the Jaguar I-Pace will be revealed this year and make its global debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

The I-Pace concept was a thinly veiled glimpse as to what we can expect from Jag’s first EV and design chief Ian Callum has previously said that the concept is around 80 per cent production ready in terms of styling.

Based on a completely new electrical architecture, the I-Pace also presented Jag’s design team with a blank canvas thanks to the absence of an engine and gearbox.

Like the bodywork, the basic power and performance figures should also remain largely unchanged and Jaguar has hinted that it’ll cost around 10-15 per cent more than an equivalent version of its F-Pace SUV, so expect a starting price around the £55,000 mark. Jaguar is taking details from interested customers right now, ahead of the production model arriving...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/i-pace/97706/2018-jaguar-i-pace-production-car-set-for-frankfurt-debut

arnis said:
If Jaguar wanted to they could partner with Tesla...
Why would any other BEV manufacturer want to "partner with Tesla"?

Compliance car production partnerships with TSLA didn't work out so well for Toyota or Mercedes...

Rumour has it that Jaguar built a test run of ~200 I-Paces, and the video at the last link below may be of one of these, giving us the first available images of the production car.

IMO, Jaguar is to be commended for not dumbing down the design (remember the Bolt prototype, and the disappointing production model?) and this is the most successful BEV design in terms of meeting:

"The challenge is to make an electric car do something that gasoline proportions and design can never do."

edatoakrun said:
I'm disappointed that we still must drive BEVs that in terms of design are little more than clumsy imitations of ICEVs.

..."Soon, somebody may take the 'bold pill,' and something completely unique and fabulous will come out," says Howard Guy of Design Q, an automotive design studio that’s worked with Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Ferrari. "The challenge is to make an electric car do something that gasoline proportions and design can never do."...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161007/COPY01/310079965/mercedes-gives-itself-an-electric-makeover
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22702

Production Jaguar I-Pace Filmed In Monaco Without Camo

We already knew the production-spec Jaguar I-Pace would remain faithful to the design of the concept but now we have confirmation that it will be virtually unchanged.

Last week, the British automaker was spotted filming a promotional video for its advanced all-electric crossover on parts of Monaco's famed Grand Prix circuit...

Even though the video is low-resolution, the I-Pace in question looks identical to the concept that debuted at last year's Los Angeles Auto Show. It is even wearing the same shade of silver and is rolling on very similar wheels.

One of the most interesting things about the I-Pace's exterior design are its incredibly short front and rear overhangs. This has allowed the carmaker to maximize interior space, something customers should be very receptive of.

Power for the concept came from electric motors at both the front and rear axles, producing a combined 400 hp and 700 Nm of torque. The production car is expected to receive the same setup and should also receive the 90 kWh battery of the concept, allowing it to travel over 300 miles (482 km) on a single charge.
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/production-jaguar-i-pace-filmed-in.html

Interview with Karl-Friedrich Stracke, Magna Steyr's president of vehicle technology and engineering, on its collaboration with Jaguar on the I-Pace:

Jaguar ramps up, fine-tunes I-Pace to outduel Tesla

The launch of the upcoming Jaguar I-Pace will be interesting. Automakers usually avoid introducing a new vehicle on a new architecture powered by a new drivetrain. And there's another twist in the I-Pace launch: The aluminum-bodied, battery-powered crossover is being built in a new body shop at Magna Steyr's plant in Austria.

What could possibly go wrong?

Actually, to hear the story of how the I-Pace came to be, probably not much. Karl-Friedrich Stracke, Magna Steyr's president of vehicle technology and engineering, told me that Magna engineers have been involved in the I-Pace project almost from the start: While Jaguar Land Rover engineers created the vehicle, Magna engineers figured out the best way to build it.

"We were invited very early in the product development time frame in order to provide our process and manufacturing engineering proposals," Stracke said. "We tried to include the right processes in the product early on. In other words, do the product design the right way from the start...

Stracke said the first I-Paces are being built now. The vehicle will launch this year in Europe and arrive next year in the U.S. Journalists haven't yet driven the car, but Stracke has. I asked him what he thought of it.

"The acceleration is unbelievable; it is faster than Tesla. You press the accelerator and it pushes you back into the seat. The steering is very agile and nimble and you don't feel the mass of the car," Stracke said. "The chassis performance is gorgeous. It's unbelievably quiet. There is some fine-tuning going on with the suspension, but that's normal work. I am 100 percent certain it will challenge a lot of cars on the market today."
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170613/BLOG06/170619897/jaguar-ramps-up-fine-tunes-i-pace-to-outduel-tesla

edit; ~the same article, without a paywall;

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/jaguar-aiming-make-model-x-killer-i-pace

Quite a lot of new info on the I-PACE (and a HINT on the sales price) in this interview with Wolfgang Ziebart:

The Road From High-Octane To High-Tech Is Dangerous. Father Of 'Tesla-Beater' Jaguar Says Why

... Ziebart realized that “an electric vehicle is fundamentally different from an ICE car. If you approach it with the standardized processes of the auto industry, you will have a hard time.“...

“We did not go down the usual route of developing a car and putting an electric motor in it, let alone using an existing platform,” said Ziebart. “Right from the start, we wanted to make a no compromise electric vehicle...

“It was clear that the vehicle needed two motors, one in the front, one in the back,” said Ziebart. “This gives you all the freedom to define the driving dynamics, a much better setup than in an ICE car with only one engine.”

For the motor, Ziebart’s initial intention was to buy it from a supplier, because after all, JLR “had no electric motor department.” It turns out, it did. JLR engineer Dr. Alex Michaelides “developed an ingenious concentric electric motor. It’s not the cheapest, but it is the lightest, most compact motor you can imagine,” Ziebart said. The battery cells come from LG Chem. The 90 kWh battery itself also was developed at JLR.

Despite falling battery prices, some 40% of the car’s cost is in the battery
, Ziebart told me. It’s true value however sits in a black box, the battery management system. “The development of our own battery management system, and especially its software, was very important to us” he said. “We did that completely in-house. The core know-how of an EV is the battery management system, and we keep that to ourselves.”...

Why the wait? If working prototypes have been shown for half a year, why do we have to wait into 2018 for the car?

“O.K., so you finally have that new car with all the bits it is supposed to be produced with. You also have something else: Some 3,000 minor quibbles, all in themselves no show stoppers, but in total, it’s not the quality a customer demands. For a truly refined car, you must work through these 3,000 nitpickings. And finally, you also need to be able to replicate it on a production line, which runs at one car every two minutes.”...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/06/16/the-road-from-high-octane-to-high-tech-is-dangerous-father-of-tesla-beater-jaguar-says-why/#709025827d94

So, if it has a ~100 kWh pack (with ~90 kWh available) at a cost of ~$200 per kWh, about $20 k for the pack, and about $50 k cost for the complete vehicle?

There is a profile image of the 3 Jaguar SUV's at the link below, which appears to be to scale, showing the relative vehicle dimensions.

It shows how the I-PACE has a larger cabin than the F, but about the same footprint as the baby E.

There's a lot of speculation that the I-PACE may be priced as high as to be in Tesla X territory, but the relatively low prices of the other SUVs below, and the other hints I've posted above, suggest to me Jaguar I-PACE could have a base list price in the low fifties, or maybe even just below $50 k.

If it's anywhere near that cheap, you can probably expect long waits for deliveries.

New Jaguar E-Pace Baby SUV Teased, Debuts July 13, Priced From $38,600

...According to Jaguar Design Director Ian Callum, “The combination of sports car looks with Jaguar performance will ensure that the E-Pace stands out. Every Jaguar is designed to excite the senses, and we think E-Pace will do just that, albeit with its own individual character.”

The Jaguar E-Pace will be unveiled on July 13th and U.S. pricing will start at $38,600. The latter figures means the entry-level crossover will undercut the F-Pace (priced at ~$42k) by $3,465 ...
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/06/entry-level-jaguar-e-pace-teased-debuts.html

More impressive than winning this award for a Concept Vehicle, IMO, is that all indications are the production model will be nearly identical to the concept.

Jaguar I-Pace Awarded As 2017's Most Significant Concept Vehicle

If you look at the dozens upon dozens of concept cars rolling out each year and ponder which is the best among them, there's an organization that can help you with that. It's the International Automotive Media Registry, and every year it visits the Concours d’Elegance of America at St. John’s to hand out the North American Concept Vehicle of the Year awards.

This year marked the 16th edition of the awards, and they were handed out in three distinct categories: Production Preview Concepts, Concept Cars, and Concept Trucks.

The Jaguar I-Pace won in the first category, beating out the Infiniti QX50, Subaru Ascent, and Volkswagen Passat GT. This marks the third time that Jaguar has taken the category...
http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/jaguar-i-pace-awarded-as-2017s-most.html

Sounds like it will be a few years before you'll be able to buy an I-Pace below list...or maybe even at list price, unless you've already sent in a check.

Why Jaguar won't show the I-Pace at Frankfurt

...Jaguar debated launching the I-Pace at Frankfurt but decided against it for one big reason – high demand for the car even before its launch.

There has been so much interest in the I-Pace, which will sell for less than the Tesla Model X at about 60,000 pounds in its home market, that JLR figured it that the show attention would be better focused on its more mainstream entrants, a company spokesman said...

Jaguar says it has over 25,000 confirmed orders for the I-Pace, with customers in big markets in Europe and the U.S. placing "four-figure" deposits, despite the not knowing the exact final price. That order book is almost two year's worth of production at Magna Steyr's contract manufacturing plant in Graz, Austria, where the I-Pace will be built based on capacity predictions from IHS Markit.

The I-Pace was unveiled as a concept at last year's Los Angeles auto show and is due to go on sale next spring/summer. The final version will not deviate very much from the concept, the company has said. JLR plans to reveal the production I-Pace early 2018...
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20170909/BLOG15/170909811

Beautiful car. I hope they don't neuter appearance come production. Modern jaguars are some of the nicest looking cars on the road. Along with Dodge (yes, really) I feel that they nail the appearance of their cars time and again.

One vital spec revealed...maybe.

Norway's proposed Tesla tax on overweight BEVs would also hit the I-PACE to a lesser extent.

The statement that "...the Jaguar (I-PACE) weighs just over 2 tons.." might be confirmed if you can find the actual terms of the proposed law.

Norway Considers Taxing Electric Cars Based On Vehicle Weight

Norway charges a tax on new cars that can double the list price. Heavier, more powerful cars pay more. The tax on smaller, less powerful cars is more modest. But electric cars are exempt from the tax entirely, which is one of the primary reason electric cars in Norway are so popular...

But all those subsidies cost the government a lot of money in lost revenue every year. Now conservatives are proposing to impose a one time fee (another name for a tax) to register an electric car in Norway. The fee would be based on the weight of a car, the theory being that heavy cars cause more wear and tear on the nation’s roads. Only cars that weigh more than 2 tons would be affected.

The fee could add as much as $12,000 to the price of a Tesla Model X while the Model S would pay a fee of about $5,000. Cars that are close to the 2 ton threshold would be charged about $900.

The proposal has caused an angry backlash among electric car advocates. Christina Bu, head of Norway’s Electric Vehicle Association calls the one time charge on new electric cars over two tons a “tax bomb,” according to Norway’s VG News.

“The government knows very well that many car manufacturers take this step to develop the electric cars with more space and increased range due largely to interest from customers in Norway. The new one time fee will make it more difficult to get families to buy electric cars. And it will be more difficult to reach the…..goal of selling only zero emissions cars by 2025,” she says.

John Helmersen, head of operations for Jaguar in Norway says about 1000 Norwegians have paid a $1,300 deposit to get on the waiting list for the new Jaguar I-Pace electric SUV. He claims the new fee would cost buyers about an extra $3,500...
https://gas2.org/2017/10/13/norway-tesla-tax-based-weight/

I doubt this will happen, but it is now certain that Tesla's direct competitor to the I-Pace, the hypothetical model Y, will only be available years later, if it ever is built.

No production hell at Jaguar’s I-Pace. “All peaceful,” insider says

Concerned that Elon Musk’s production hell might be contagious, and that it could be spreading to other EV manufacturers, I checked-in with a knowledgeable contact close to Jaguar’s I-Pace program. Jaguar’s I-Pace is an upcoming premium-EV that is already sold out months before its arrival sometime in 2018, and according to its father, Wolfgang Ziebart, the I-Pace is a “Tesla-beater.” Might the I-Pace also be delayed somewhere at the bottom of a stepped exponential S-curve, I asked.

“In Graz, the I-Paces are peacefully rolling off the line, together with the E-Pace,” my very well-informed contact answered.

Graz in Austria is where contract manufacturer Magna Steyr is. The I and E Paces were outsourced to Magna, because Jaguar Land Rover’s UK plants are bursting at the seams. The E-Pace is another impending Jaguar, a slightly smaller SUV than JLR’s F-Pace.

The I and E-Paces should go on sale next year, so what are they doing peacefully trundling off a manufacturing line in Austria? JLR does what every automaker does, every one except for Tesla: JLR runs a pre-production series for many months, and it does so until what is coming out at the end of the line is absolutely perfect...

The way things stand, the Jaguar I-Pace may be at dealers before Tesla’s Model 3 finally is being produced in appreciable quantities.

“You can spend the time in preparation, or you can waste it doing costly re-work,” the insider said.
https://dailykanban.com/2017/11/no-production-hell-jaguars-pace-peaceful-insider-says/

I think the I-Pace looks pretty good so far. I believe the 310 mi is an NEDC range so really the EPA range will be much lower, like 220 mi.

I was on a Jag focus group awhile ago with just Jag and Tesla owners and the I-Pace proto was featured along with some other Jag concepts on paper. My impression was the price they were aiming for was around $70k - $90k. With a 90kWh battery the thing must be pretty heavy to get only 220 mi. Still I would expect good performance from Jag. I'll be curious to see what they announce and how many they'll build the first year.

Rumour of I-PACEs battery source confirmed?

In 2018, more than 300 kilometers of electric cars are running ... Most Korean batteries are adopted

... Jaguar Land Rover 'I-PACE', launched in Korea in the second half of next year, will be equipped with LG Chem's 90 kWh high-capacity battery..
http://www.etnews.com/20171120000253

Apparently on-schedule, with a few more details reported.

Interesting that the I-PACE is ~six months from the first deliveries, and may have more miles-on-the-road than the Tesla 3, which was claimed to have started production almost six months ago...

Jaguar I-Pace development on course for March 2018 launch

All-electric SUV will be with customers in the summer; we ride shotgun to see how it feels

The Jaguar I-Pace will go on sale in the UK in March next year – the same month that it receives its world debut at the Geneva motor show – and it will be with customers from the summer.

The model is Jaguar’s first electric car and built on a bespoke aluminium-intensive architecture. It will be the second Jaguar model to be built overseas, production due to take place by contract manufacturing firm Magna in Graz, Austria, where the E-Pace is also being built.

The I-Pace is now in the final stages of testing at the ‘tooling try-out’ stage, where the prototypes, like the one pictured here, are made using production tooling for the first time and are 99% representative of the finished car’s hardware...

The I-Pace’s lead powertrain engineer, Simon Patel, said the final tweaks to the calibration of the electric drivetrain are being made to ready it for production, but the major development was now complete.

The car will have some off-road ability, but its primary role will be to offer a dynamic drive that the firm prides all its models on having. The chassis is being set up to offer a firm, sporty ride, but a supple one. Steel springs will be standard, with air suspension and adaptive dampers optional. The suspension and steering systems are borrowed from the F-Pace but have been adapted for the I-Pace.

Two levels of regenerative braking will be offered: a standard mode to replicate how a conventionally powered car would react to the driver coming off the throttle; and a more aggressive mode that allows the car to be effectively driven with one pedal.

The production car will have permanent four-wheel drive and use torque vectoring by braking to enhance the handling. The centre of gravity is 100mm lower than an F-Pace’s and that is being tipped to aid the dynamic drive.

In the development process, some 200 prototypes have been driven for more than 1.5 million miles. The project has been worked on by more than 500 engineers over four years...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/jaguar-i-pace-development-course-march-2018-launch

And not surprisingly...

Land Rover is set to create its own version of Jaguar's all-electric I-Pace SUV.

The British off-road brand has introduced its first series of plug-in hybrid models with P400e variants of the updated 2018 Model Year Range Rover Sport and Range Rover due to arrive in Australian showrooms by the middle of next year. But they won't be the only Land Rover models to get electric assistance.

Speaking to Australian media at the 2017 Los Angeles motor show last week, Land Rover's Chief Creative Officer and head of design, Gerry McGovern, said it was inevitable his brand would adapt the skateboard-style platform from the Jaguar I-Pace to develop a fully-electric Land Rover within the near future...
https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/fully-electric-land-rover-is-coming-116549.html

That estimate would indicate a (disappointingly high) USA base price of ~$65,000.

Jaguar I-Pace likely to beat Audi, Porsche rivals to showrooms

LONDON -- Jaguar looks set to beat Audi and Porsche to become the first premium automaker to sell a credible all-electric Tesla rival after announcing it will unveil a production version of its first EV, the I-Pace, in March.

Jaguar said the crossover will go on sale in 2018 without being more specific.

Audi has said it will reveal its e-tron electric SUV next year, however analyst LMC Automotive has said start of production has been delayed to early 2019, citing a report from Audi parent, Volkswagen Group. Sales of the Porsche Mission E electric sedan will start at the end of 2018, following Jaguar, LMC believes...

The production I-Pace is likely to be revealed at the Geneva auto show in March, although Jaguar didn’t confirm that. It has said the production model won't differ much from the concept.

LMC forecasts that I-Pace sales will be 4,500 in Europe next year, rising to 8,700 in 2019. Jaguar said in September it has 25,000 confirmed orders from the car.

The I-Pace is expected to cost from 60,000 pounds ($80,000) in its UK home market, undercutting the Tesla Model X electric SUV, which starts at 70,880 pounds.
http://europe.autonews.com/article/20171206/ANE/171209855/jaguar-i-pace-likely-to-beat-audi-porsche-rivals-to-showrooms

Some semi-official numbers reported below.

400kg lighter than a Model X.
Disappointing (IMO) if correct, ~4,500 lbs.

https://twitter.com/AutoVoltMag

As expected, given the previously reported 150 kW regen capability.

I-PACE also has 150kW charging ability via CCS.

... I was speaking with their lead engineer on site yesterday, so although unofficial is v.likely accurate.
https://twitter.com/jonmusk/status/940724783272034304

Back