Chicagoland area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my Illinois rebate too. 2015 SL purchased October 2014. Nearly fainted from suprise. 10% of base MSRP without add on packages!

Check stub states interest may be due on the two year wait.

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
Back to 'EL' plate sightings, saw an easy one to remember and a welcome sign that EV sales continue albeit slowly here in Chicagoland. This one once again on a Tesla Model S in Deer Park by Chipotle ... It was 4343 EL; anyone spot anything higher? Have also seen a fair number of other new and used EV's with IL temporary tags so hopefully we'll pass the 4500 level soon all the way to 5000; no where near the west coast but not bad considering the relatively low gas prices ... have also spotted a few new Volts but again these don't qualify for the EL plates

Didn't take long to pass 4343 ... here is 4399 EL on a black Tesla X P90D (sorry for the fuzziness, still road construction so perpetually dirty windows) ... in black the X really blends in with other big SUV's out there

Saw the 4500 plate number threshold get crossed over the weekend; '4582 EL' on a black Model S; also happened to stop by a Tesla store and they also just became aware from their owner's that the IL EPA EV rebate checks (only from those that submitted but didn't get it before they shut off new EV rebate applications) are getting theirs -- of course they get a bit more as ALL of them would have qualified for the maximum of $4,000 when the program was in effect --- as the money from this is flowing I would think that the 50% EVSE rebate (for install and EVSE equipment at ones home) would also start flowing again (again old submissions only); for the early adopters here, that program is up to $3,000 -- anyone still waiting on this one get their check yet?

Jollermd said:
I got my Illinois rebate too. 2015 SL purchased October 2014. Nearly fainted from suprise. 10% of base MSRP without add on packages!

Check stub states interest may be due on the two year wait.

Further update on the magnitude of the IL EV rebate backlog; over on a reddit Tesla forum, someone had contacted Darwin Burkhart (yes, same gov contact as before with the IL EPA) and he said they're processing over 1,200 rebates!! The post also mentioned that if there is an issue with anyone's application they will reach out to the specific owner so now its just a waiting game. The main 'Green Fleets' web site still has no mention of anything new but I think I may send something off to the Trib reporter who has contacted MNL members in the past on their EV's, etc. if I don't see any recent Chicago area news articles on the fact that they're processing their backlog now ...

It's a shame that Rauner trashed the rebates, all but killed the EV incentive here in IL.
The lack of consciousness and concern for the environment is appalling.

Granted it is a nation wide, (except for CA and perhaps a few NE states,) trend, but we should be willing to do better than that.

redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
redLEAF said:
Back to 'EL' plate sightings, saw an easy one to remember and a welcome sign that EV sales continue albeit slowly here in Chicagoland. This one once again on a Tesla Model S in Deer Park by Chipotle ... It was 4343 EL; anyone spot anything higher? Have also seen a fair number of other new and used EV's with IL temporary tags so hopefully we'll pass the 4500 level soon all the way to 5000; no where near the west coast but not bad considering the relatively low gas prices ... have also spotted a few new Volts but again these don't qualify for the EL plates

Didn't take long to pass 4343 ... here is 4399 EL on a black Tesla X P90D (sorry for the fuzziness, still road construction so perpetually dirty windows) ... in black the X really blends in with other big SUV's out there

Saw the 4500 plate number threshold get crossed over the weekend; '4582 EL' on a black Model S; also happened to stop by a Tesla store and they also just became aware from their owner's that the IL EPA EV rebate checks (only from those that submitted but didn't get it before they shut off new EV rebate applications) are getting theirs -- of course they get a bit more as ALL of them would have qualified for the maximum of $4,000 when the program was in effect --- as the money from this is flowing I would think that the 50% EVSE rebate (for install and EVSE equipment at ones home) would also start flowing again (again old submissions only); for the early adopters here, that program is up to $3,000 -- anyone still waiting on this one get their check yet?

Finally passed the 5000 number threshold in the wild; saw a brand new white Tesla Model S in the St. Charles, IL area sporting 5090 EL; the new Tesla's with the smooth front fascia (as opposed to the older 'nose cone' type 'grill' front end) are starting to show up more often now. At least this reduced cost plate program has been left intact in IL (for now anyways).

Less than 3 weeks later; saw a red Tesla Model X late last night going into Harper College in Palatine sporting plate 5265 EL; for Tesla spotters, this was the later 'red multi-coat' color not the much earlier 'signature' dark red when they were first released late last year.

Not a lot for pure EV enthusiasts at this years Chicago Auto Show --- real HEAVY attendance yesterday so may have missed something but here are a few highlights:

Chevy -- they did have an accessible Bolt (just one) that you could get in, etc. along with a rep nearby to answer questions; also the new Volt; a few people seemed interested but no where near what the Corvette and of course trucks and SUV's that all mfg's seem to be featuring swarmed around.

Nissan --- one sad looking LEAF SV next to tall bill board size display on zero emissions; nothing new

VW -- all gas powered cars; no EV's or PHEV's at all; new Tiguan and Atlas SUV's worth a look

BMW/MINI -- featured all their PHEV's; the i3 on display was a ReX version; people were pouring over that one

Volvo -- had the PHEV XC90; nothing new there

Audi -- had the A3 e-tron but no concept EV/PHEV cars that we've been hearing about

Kia -- had a large video monitor running showing the Kia Soul EV but not one on display (still don't sell it in the Midwest) did have the Niro hybrid

Hyundai -- they did bring their Ioniq EV; sorry but the materials they used on this seem really cheap, perhaps that will keep the price down; no of course 200+ mile range yet; mid range EV commuter; a more practical solution may be their PHEV version which would get 31 EV range but then the new Volt tops that easily

Mercedes Benz -- featured the AMG variant on many models, no B-class EV

Smart -- they had two of their ED's on display as well as a funky ICE smart customized with a stereo system that basically filled the entire car and was able to stage its own concert (with a rep nearby)

Acura/Honda -- great display on the new NSX (huh, its actually a hybrid; albeit not an inexpensive one though!) as well as refreshed versions on their mainstream cars, etc.

Mazda -- my son's favorite was there; a Miata RF that the rep raised and lowered the top on for us; having owned 2 previous Miata's this one is indeed quite special; tiny trunk but who needs it; looked great in red

Jaguar -- really would have liked to see that concept i-Pace SUV but wasn't there; F-Pace did look great; my show favorite is their '17 F-Type R

As for other ICE's worth a look; Alfa Romeo showed off a few gorgeous new models and the Kia Stinger appears to be interesting depending on its interior fittings as well as the new Porsche 718 (Cayman/Boxster)

If you have time to go during the week, I'm sure that would be best if you want to avoid the crowds -- the economy must be doing OK with the turn out this year; with gas prices so low perhaps that's holding back some of the pure longer range EV's or we simply need to wait a few more years. Lots of drive events both inside and out for those interested as well.

redLEAF said:
Less than 3 weeks later; saw a red Tesla Model X late last night going into Harper College in Palatine sporting plate 5265 EL; for Tesla spotters, this was the later 'red multi-coat' color not the much earlier 'signature' dark red when they were first released late last year.

5808 EL on a silver Model S. We'll probably break 6 in a few months.

EVftw said:
redLEAF said:

Actually, a bit more than a month; spotted a White Tesla Model X with the 22" black wheels near Harper College (might be a trend here, well paid professors or perhaps late career students; Model X starts at $85,500 -- those wheels put it up over $90K not including any other options?) with 6004 EL -- if this rate continues we might see 7000+ by this August. Once the Model 3 is available that could ramp these up significantly ... while not an absolute (a number of Tesla's sport vanity or special interest plates instead of the 'EL' series) at least it gives an indication that EV's are still selling (at least Tesla's are) in IL

RE your 2-13 post..one would think Nissan would at the very least have a SL there and not a SV!!

Like a really "buffed out" black on black SL, with 220 charging station attatched.

(They could have borrowed my '13!! :D )

redLEAF said:
EVftw said:
redLEAF said:

Actually, a bit more than a month; spotted a White Tesla Model X with the 22" black wheels near Harper College (might be a trend here, well paid professors or perhaps late career students; Model X starts at $85,500 -- those wheels put it up over $90K not including any other options?) with 6004 EL -- if this rate continues we might see 7000+ by this August. Once the Model 3 is available that could ramp these up significantly ... while not an absolute (a number of Tesla's sport vanity or special interest plates instead of the 'EL' series) at least it gives an indication that EV's are still selling (at least Tesla's are) in IL

Had a chance to take a quick photo this time -- spotted this new red Tesla Model S less than a month later with a registered EL plate almost 400 digits higher at 6383 so EV's in IL increasing at a much higher rate than expected (despite the fact that there are NO EV incentives anymore); most newer EV's I've seen have been Tesla's as of late -- a few BMW i3's and the very occasional 5K+ EL plated LEAF (some of these are newly registered used one's perhaps newly arrived from out of state) ... anyone see something higher? We' should see 7000 much sooner than later ... of course IL isn't the West coast with EV's in the tens of thousands but its encouraging despite the lack of incentives (and of course any 'used' EV's will skew the numbers a bit

IMG_0208.JPG

Received a call from Bill Kay Chevrolet in Lisle that they just received 8 Bolts last night! I am looking to replace my 2013 Leaf by the winter and will take one for a spin, but hold off on a vehicle till end of year when many more options will be released.

One item I despise with the Bolt is the lack of a heat pump, but it does have a giant battery.

Phatcat73 said:
Received a call from Bill Kay Chevrolet in Lisle that they just received 8 Bolts last night! I am looking to replace my 2013 Leaf by the winter and will take one for a spin, but hold off on a vehicle till end of year when many more options will be released.

One item I despise with the Bolt is the lack of a heat pump, but it does have a giant battery.

I went there today. Tom Murphy was happy to show me these Bolts. I learned that they actually had to buy it from another CA dealer since GM won't give them anything. I asked if he knew anything about them. But he honestly shook his head and told me that he knew very little about them and that the furthest he's test driven them is to the back of the parking lot to move it.

EVftw said:
Phatcat73 said:

I went there today. Tom Murphy was happy to show me these Bolts. I learned that they actually had to buy it from another CA dealer since GM won't give them anything. I asked if he knew anything about them. But he honestly shook his head and told me that he knew very little about them and that the furthest he's test driven them is to the back of the parking lot to move it.

I don't think this car was from Bill Kay Chevy (had WI plates and no dealer sticker or license frame) but quite a rare sighting here in the Midwest; other than the Chicago Auto Show its the first I've ever seen. This one had leather seats, etc. so upscale version -- to be honest fairly anonymous (looks like just about any other 5-door economy hatchback); simply doesn't scream out its an EV like the first gen-LEAF. With an MSRP of $43,775 (this one was fully loaded) it will be interesting to see what you can get at this price point with a Tesla Model 3 (plus hard to put a price tag on access to their Supercharger network vs. the hodgepodge of DC chargers that you would need to search out for the Bolt for any trip beyond say a 120 mile of your home). Doubt it was discounted out this way as well but still qualifies for the Fed Tax Credit; I would wonder just how fast these depreciate after a year or two -- perhaps the big range boost will help it some vs. our strictly 'commuter' EV's, we'll see !

Chevy Bolt.jpg

I'm hosting an electric car event in conjunction with National Drive Electric Week. Join us September 17th in Evanston. Visit our event page here https://driveelectricweek.org/event.php?eventid=969 to register. Bring your EV to talk with neighbors about your EV driving experience.

Hello All!
This will be my first post. I bought a 2013 SV and have had it about a month now-all 12 bars and just hit 14000 miles. Living in Villa Park. I am currently perusing pg 59 of this thread, anticipating the winter drive. I am REALLY liking this car - the handling and (as Gomer Pyle would put it-listening to) the quiet. I am sure this will be in another thread, but how do I update the sd card?
BTW, got the plate about a week ago and it is number 6710.

Wingnuts said:
Hello All!
This will be my first post. I bought a 2013 SV and have had it about a month now-all 12 bars and just hit 14000 miles. Living in Villa Park. I am currently perusing pg 59 of this thread, anticipating the winter drive. I am REALLY liking this car - the handling and (as Gomer Pyle would put it-listening to) the quiet. I am sure this will be in another thread, but how do I update the sd card?
BTW, got the plate about a week ago and it is number 6710.

Welcome to the forum 'Wingnuts" ! --- buying a used commuter range EV seems to be the way to go until we see more main stream truly long-distance ones that have ready access to quick charging (hence my own Tesla Model 3 reservation); hopefully your '13 will give you several good years of service! As to your question, the SD card for Navigation in the LEAF is one of those annoying things that goes out of date quickly and due to the new purchase price (typically about $200 -- looks like Nissan wants $179 + $3.95 shipping) and with people simply using their smart phones for trip routing, many owners don't bother to update it --- after all with its limited range, most trips would be local and in areas that are well known to you -- if on the other hand you've recently moved and want the latest road updates (including charge map updates that reflect any recent road changes, etc.) as well as the car probably wasn't all that expensive used here is a link through Nissan where you can buy one -- hopefully the car already had one as you'll need it to get the map system updated; this also has instructions on how to look up what version you currently have in your car:

http://nissan.navigation.com/produc...sku/ev_master_variation_17/en_US/NissanNA/USD

There are also several Nissan SD cards on eBay that are significantly discounted but not sure they're legitimate so you may need to do some additional research -- if others on the forum have tried this route or something else that has worked I'm sure they may chime in -- on my own '12 LEAF that I owned for 5 years I never bothered to update the maps as we've lived here for 30 years and it never ventured out of state -- all 46K miles on it were local commuting -- as a side note, Tesla maps use WiFi and are a joint venture between Google & Tesla so get updated regularly through the built-in 4G LTE connection; perhaps still not as good as Waze or smart phone mapping but better than dealing with SD or DVD based GPS systems and of course a 17" screen (or even the Model 3's smaller 15") is better than just about anything else out there

Quick update on Illinois 'EL' plate sightings ... drum roll please ... the 7000 plateau has been reached by a Chevy Bolt !

New Chevy Bolt sporting plate 7004 EL was spotted in the North Shore area of Chicago 'burbs yesterday; once Tesla Model 3's start showing up would imagine that we'll quickly pass the 8000 mark as well .. my prediction that we would see this level by August came true ! Of course its simply one data element as we see vanity and 'regular' plates on IL EV's as well.

I am so sad! My beloved LEAF was just totaled, and I am in search of a used one to replace it. I have been searching and the pickings are pretty slim. I am thinking that with the 2018 just around the corner, if I wait, the market should have a lot more options. It's just hard because work is starting again for me, so having no car is a pain. Anyone here thinking about upgrading and would consider selling me their loved LEAF?

Back