LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tattoogunman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
It won't be 150 miles with the heater running in cold weather even when new. Figure 120-130 miles in Winter.

Had a Bolter who could only get like 170ish miles in OR which gives you an idea of how much of an impact rain (not so much cold) and climate controls can be.

On another note; My LEAF would be as low as 90 miles on crappy days which means standing water and heavy rain but easily doing 115 and not counting today, we have not had a single day of decent weather. I expect 125 will not be a challenge come Summer.

What does this mean? Your new 150 mile EV could easily not make 100 miles in Winter.

I would be interested to know exactly how that Bolt owner was driving and using their car to only be getting 170 miles. I've been following the Bolt and numerous owners via the net (Youtube, discussion boards, etc.) and everyone seems to consistently be getting the 250+ and there are some people who have reported slightly over 300 miles with very conservative driving and heavy regen use.

well, I asked him several times but didn't get a response but the road he was driving is has general average of 50-55 mph with 5-35 mph stretches thru towns. Lots of dips, twisties, etc. I think his biggest issue was simply driving against the prevailing wind. I asked how his performance was on his return trip (guessing it was better barring the unlikely event the prevailing winds changed)

DaveinOlyWA said:
tattoogunman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Had a Bolter who could only get like 170ish miles in OR which gives you an idea of how much of an impact rain (not so much cold) and climate controls can be.

On another note; My LEAF would be as low as 90 miles on crappy days which means standing water and heavy rain but easily doing 115 and not counting today, we have not had a single day of decent weather. I expect 125 will not be a challenge come Summer.

What does this mean? Your new 150 mile EV could easily not make 100 miles in Winter.

I would be interested to know exactly how that Bolt owner was driving and using their car to only be getting 170 miles. I've been following the Bolt and numerous owners via the net (Youtube, discussion boards, etc.) and everyone seems to consistently be getting the 250+ and there are some people who have reported slightly over 300 miles with very conservative driving and heavy regen use.

well, I asked him several times but didn't get a response but the road he was driving is has general average of 50-55 mph with 5-35 mph stretches thru towns. Lots of dips, twisties, etc. I think his biggest issue was simply driving against the prevailing wind. I asked how his performance was on his return trip (guessing it was better barring the unlikely event the prevailing winds changed)

Hmm, I guess that would make sense. I'm not really sure where the people live that I have been following, but most of their videos involve city and urban driving and what not. There is one guy who took his Bolt into some of Utah's national parks, but I don't recall him reporting on his overall battery use (part of the trip was to check on the supposed availability of chargers inside the parks).

Nissan starts campaign to release more information about the 2018 LEAF

Nissan_LEAF_teaser.jpg

Those headlights are stunning looking. I hope they perform. The halogen headlights on my Leaf are terrible. I live in a rural area and the headlights are very ineffective. Highbeam is mostly useless.

I hope it's a true four lamp Led setup at least 42watts each, that would be great for my drive.

NavyCuda said:
Those headlights are stunning looking. I hope they perform. The halogen headlights on my Leaf are terrible. I live in a rural area and the headlights are very ineffective.

If Nissan follows past trim-level features, the High/Low LED headlights will be standard on the SL, optional on the SV, and not available on the budget S model.

OrientExpress said:
NavyCuda said:
Those headlights are stunning looking. I hope they perform. The halogen headlights on my Leaf are terrible. I live in a rural area and the headlights are very ineffective.

If Nissan follows past trim-level features, the High/Low LED headlights will be standard on the SL, optional on the SV, and not available on the budget S model.

My 2015 SV, LEDs were not optional. I would prefer cloth interior with led headlights though. Perhaps that's a Canadian market difference.

Go back and look at the spy shots. These headlights look very similar to me.

NavyCuda said:
My 2015 SV, LEDs were not optional. I would prefer cloth interior with led headlights though. Perhaps that's a Canadian market difference.

Yeah, in 2015 Nissan dropped the lighting technology package for North America, but in 2018 it should be back. Essentially you would be able to configure a SV almost like an SL with the difference being cloth interior instead of leather. I'm like you, I don't care for the leather seating option, especially since it was available only in black.

NeilBlanchard said:
This image makes me think the camouflaged cars we have been seeing are mules - and the new Leaf will be a total redesign.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/05/nissan-has-begun-teasing-its-next-gen-leaf.html

I'm curious as to why it makes you think that. And if they are just mules, why update parts of the body and then cover it with camo? Is it just Nissan trying to attract attention by publicly hiding something?

And why would the mules have the newer headlights? Just to try them out in the real world? Does that really give you a significant benefit over testing them in a more controlled environment?

Nissan sent out a worthless, info-less email (except to hint that delivery will be in 2018, not 2017) on the new Leaf. Just that stupid teaser image of headlights and virtually nothing else.

Why reuse much of the existing body? Because Nissan will be competing on price, and conceding specs like range and power to GM.

I got the email and I didn't see anywhere that it hinted that delivery would be in 2018. The email has several links that lead to various Nissan webpages. There is even a sub-headline to one of the links entitled "Performance you wouldn’t get from a V8".

Haters gonna hate I guess.

From a link in the email you click:

The all-new Nissan LEAF* will be coming soon. Until it arrives, we'll keep you in the know with the latest updates. Sit tight, buckle up and get ready for an exciting ride.
* The LEAF is not yet available for purchase. Expected availability in early 2018. Pre-production model shown; see actual production vehicle when available for final details on features.

Haters gonna hate I guess.

And fanatics gonna swoon.

LeftieBiker said:
Why reuse much of the existing body? Because Nissan will be competing on price, and conceding specs like range and power to GM.
Who are you answering here? I didn't ask that and don't see any other post that did.

I saw that too, on one of the Nissan pages, "delivery early 2018" but that'll be the general case anyway, Californians who order 9/5 will have best shot at 2017 deliveries.

But I don't think I like the headlight design. Not the main headlights, they're fine. But that LED strip over them looks fragile, at least in that photo. It looks like it could be easily broken off. It doesn't seem to match any of the spy or concept images.

GetOffYourGas said:
LeftieBiker said:
Who are you answering here? I didn't ask that and don't see any other post that did.

NeilBlanchard wrote:
This image makes me think the camouflaged cars we have been seeing are mules - and the new Leaf will be a total redesign.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2017/05/nissan-has-begun-teasing-its-next-gen-leaf.html

Based on previous promises from Nissan (very few batteries will need to be replaced before 100 K miles. and that cells will be individually replaceable, I will wait to purchase a 3 y/o used 2.0, if they prove to be worth while.

http://www.plugincars.com/replacing-ev-batteries-your-costs-will-vary-122261.html
Simon Sproule, a Nissan vice president, says that it’s unlikely that whole LEAF packs will need to be replaced when the magic 75 to 80 percent threshold is reached. Instead, he said, EV medics can find bad cells and replace them, at a cost of hundreds of dollars, not thousands. I hadn’t heard that before, but LEAF salesman Paul Scott tells me that it’s possible to “replace certain underperforming cells rather than the whole pack.”

Ferry says that not all packs are designed for the replacement of individual cells or modules, though the LEAF pack definitely is. Omo Velev of AeroVironment, who consults with the California Center, said that EV packs are designed to maintain even degradation across all cells, but in practice some go bad faster than others. If enough of them do that, the utility of the while pack is compromised.

Is anyone holding off acquiring a Leaf in anticipation of the 60kwh 2018 model?

Assuming it will cost 7-10k more, I don't know if it is worth it. If your daily mileage is within the 24/30kwh range why lug around that extra weight. I guess it relieves some range anxiety and is a good buffer against battery degradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back