Leaf or Prius?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I don't get it - why lease when you can own basically the same car after 2 years of the same payments and enjoy it from then on for next to nothing per month ($20 for electricity + insurance).

That's basically the same car with a brand new warranty, a 25% larger battery that should have as much range after five years as a good 2013 has now, and a longer battery warranty. I wouldn't spend more than $7k for a 2013 now, and I'd consider leasing a 2017 SV with premium if it were $200 a month, with a $9-10k residual. Some of us want peace of mind as much as we want a bargain.

It does sound good to own a car after two years... What do you think. That extra $10k as a good idea or not?

It's a good idea if you want to own a nice new EV, and your Summer range needs won't exceed 80 miles in 5 years. Leasing and then buying a discounted Leaf is, AFAIK, the best EV bargain available, for purchasing if you don't qualify for the full Federal tax credit . A couple of things you need to know about a new Leaf, though:

* The headlights, like those on all Leafs, have decent low beams and TERRIBLE high beams. There are LED aftermarket replacements available, but none of those are perfect. If I were to buy a 2017, I'd install a fanless LED bulb set ASAP.

* No 80% charge option. It's not hard to figure out how much charge your EVSE will add per hour, and to time charges to end around 80% (unless you need more) but it's a PITA compared with the 2011-2013 80% charge options. You can also, for a couple of hundred more than a typical L-2 charging station, get one that can be started and stopped remotely, via WiFi.

* The Leaf S still uses resistance-only heating. Depending on your climate, that may matter. An un-optioned SV on clearance isn't usually much more than a S with Charge Package, and you get the heatpump, Nissan Connect remote access to climate control and charging, and Nav.

To me, a car is just a box on wheels that gets me from point A to point B, cheaply and reliably, for a "reasonable" number of years. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy driving my Leaf, but I enjoy the low cost of ownership and super cheap operating costs even more. I don't get emotionally tied to cars.

As LeftieBiker said:

That's basically the same car with a brand new warranty, a 25% larger battery that should have as much range after five years as a good 2013 has now, and a longer battery warranty

Which is all true, but you need to decide for yourself whether that's worth another $10K to you or not. You mentioned your commute isn't very long so the larger battery may be less of a concern for you. The warranty is nice peace of mind, but living in OR you don't have much to worry about.

My Leaf gives me "good enough" range and if I get 3 decent years of use out of it then I'll be happy as the loan will be paid off at that point...

Anything beyond 3 years is just a bonus, but I fully expect to get at least 5 years of serviceable use from it as I live in Vancouver, CA where the climate is mild too. Also, I expect a market will arise soon for battery pack rebuilds for less than the $5,500 that Nissan charges. If so, then swapping the pack would give me several more years of use, if I want it.

My next car will probably be a used Bolt, a used 2018 Leaf, or some other longer range EV, but I'm content to wait for that for as long as my 2013 SV lasts.

TreeStar said:
So I can lease for 2 years then finance $11,395 for the remainder of the car.
The car may not be even worth $11,395 after 2 years. If that's the case and you still want a Leaf, turn it in and buy one w/the equipment level you desire on the used market. That's what I did.

alozzy said:
To me, a car is just a box on wheels that gets me from point A to point B, cheaply and reliably, for a "reasonable" number of years. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy driving my Leaf, but I enjoy the low cost of ownership and super cheap operating costs even more. I don't get emotionally tied to cars.

As LeftieBiker said:

That's basically the same car with a brand new warranty, a 25% larger battery that should have as much range after five years as a good 2013 has now, and a longer battery warranty

Which is all true, but you need to decide for yourself whether that's worth another $10K to you or not. You mentioned your commute isn't very long so the larger battery may be less of a concern for you. The warranty is nice peace of mind, but living in OR you don't have much to worry about.

My Leaf gives me "good enough" range and if I get 3 decent years of use out of it then I'll be happy as the loan will be paid off at that point...

Anything beyond 3 years is just a bonus, but I fully expect to get at least 5 years of serviceable use from it as I live in Vancouver, CA where the climate is mild too. Also, I expect a market will arise soon for battery pack rebuilds for less than the $5,500 that Nissan charges. If so, then swapping the pack would give me several more years of use, if I want it.

My next car will probably be a used Bolt, a used 2018 Leaf, or some other longer range EV, but I'm content to wait for that for as long as my 2013 SV lasts.
I second that!

If battery packs get cheap and I can keep driving my 2013 Leaf until the body starts rusting away and the interior starts falling apart some several decades later I will do that. But if a used longer range EV pops up as an economic option I'll get one of those instead. I'm not going to waste my money buying a new car or getting a lease.

But I encourage you (OP) to do so so that there'll be more cheap used car options for me in the future. :mrgreen:

cwerdna said:
TreeStar said:
So I can lease for 2 years then finance $11,395 for the remainder of the car.
The car may not be even worth $11,395 after 2 years. If that's the case and you still want a Leaf, turn it in and buy one w/the equipment level you desire on the used market. That's what I did.
Also very possible that Nissan will offer a discount below residual for a buyout when the time comes. That has been the usual practice up til now.

I am in Alozzy's situation and reasoned the same:

Fair price for 3 years of use;
Excellent deal if my purchase lasts longer.

I'm generally more of the "Buy it new and drive it for 10+ years" camp, but in the case of EVs this may not be the best approach. I do expect my next EV to be my last, though, maybe unless it ends up being a Bolt, because of the terrible lease offers. As long as a current (or 2018) Leaf more than meets the prospective owners' needs for now and the foreseeable future, though, it still makes sense for me to lease and then buy one.

I'm going back on the buying a 2013 model with cash now.

It just seems like a bit of a gamble on how these cars might hold up, but it's seeming they are fairly reliable.

All the research I've done has been on the 2017 models. I don't know much on the older ones. I'll likely make a post about that. The on board faster charger, heat pump, etc... few things like that I'm not sure on.

This post, and the other post that I linked to within that post, will get you started:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=491703#p491659

Given that you are in OR, you have plenty of L3 charging options so I would recommend you get a Leaf with the QC CHADEMO port. Particularly if you ever go out to the coast.

The SV trim also likely makes sense for you, as the heat pump should gain you some extra miles during winter.

TreeStar said:
I'm going back on the buying a 2013 model with cash now.

It just seems like a bit of a gamble on how these cars might hold up, but it's seeming they are fairly reliable.

All the research I've done has been on the 2017 models. I don't know much on the older ones. I'll likely make a post about that. The on board faster charger, heat pump, etc... few things like that I'm not sure on.
I've got a 2013 and a friend has a 2013.

Don't get any manufactured before April 2013 unless it has a new traction battery.

The S's don't come with a heat pump so get an SV or an SL.

The S's also normally only come with a 3.3kW charger. Look for an SV or SL with a CHAdeMO charge port. They also have the 6.6kW onboard charger.

The 2013 has the 80% charge option which can be a plus.

Those are the most important options. After that it's mainly colors and cameras and mud flaps.

alozzy said:
This post, and the other post that I linked to within that post, will get you started:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=491703#p491659

Given that you are in OR, you have plenty of L3 charging options so I would recommend you get a Leaf with the QC CHADEMO port. Particularly if you ever go out to the coast.

The SV trim also likely makes sense for you, as the heat pump should gain you some extra miles during winter.

QC CHADEMO port?

I was looking at getting an L2 charger for around $300. Then I was also looking at extension cords. I like options, but having all the stuff needed for each scenario will cost quite a bit.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24044&hilit=CHADEMO#p496165

You don't need to buy any equipment for the L3 CHADEMO charging, but the Leaf does have to include that port (see picture in post above)

alozzy said:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24044&hilit=CHADEMO#p496165

You don't need to buy any equipment for the L3 CHADEMO charging, but the Leaf does have to include that port (see picture in post above)

I need to buy equipment if I want L2 at home or to extend L1 or L2 (meaning length of cable).

What happens if I'm driving to the coast and I need to charge on the way (which would be the case in a 2013) and the station is being occupied? People just wait? That seems like it might be a thing on a busy weekend.

If you buy an L2 EVSE for home use, make sure it has a long enough cord as ordered. I've seen extension "cords" for that, but they are really expensive.

For the L1 EVSE that comes with the car, don't use an extension cord if you can avoid it. If you must, then you'll need a 12GA cord or thicker.

Owing a Leaf is sometimes an exercise in patience, as it was designed as a commuter car, rather than for long distance driving.

Driving the OR Coast, you may have to wait to L3 charge in the summer. However, chatting with other EV owners is fun and there are usually L2 options nearby so you can plugin there, get a bite to eat or explore, then check back and the L3 will likely be available. Personally, I take my time driving the coast and stop in the little towns along the way anyways, so it would be no big deal. The trip from Vancouver to Portland would be a lot more patience testing :D

Unless you can afford a Tesla, you'll be charging somewhere along the coast no matter what. You'll just need to do that twice as frequently in a Leaf, almost hourly.

alozzy said:
If you buy an L2 EVSE for home use, make sure it has a long enough cord as ordered. I've seen extension "cords" for that, but they are really expensive.

For the L1 EVSE that comes with the car, don't use an extension cord if you can avoid it. If you must, then you'll need a 12GA cord or thicker.

Owing a Leaf is sometimes an exercise in patience, as it was designed as a commuter car, rather than for long distance driving.

Driving the OR Coast, you may have to wait to L3 charge in the summer. However, chatting with other EV owners is fun and there are usually L2 options nearby so you can plugin there, get a bite to eat or explore, then check back and the L3 will likely be available. Personally, I take my time driving the coast and stop in the little towns along the way anyways, so it would be no big deal. The trip from Vancouver to Portland would be a lot more patience testing :D

Unless you can afford a Tesla, you'll be charging somewhere along the coast no matter what. You'll just need to do that twice as frequently in a Leaf, almost hourly.

I'm really thinking 2013 now.... Ya know, I can drop my $2,000 cash down and finance the thing. Then sell my current car at full market value when I find a buyer. Then have my Leaf paid off in less than a year.

I was downtown Portland the other day with a friend. There's a free charging station there and it was lined up with Leafs. I said "look at all the electric car dorks lined up charging their cars". She said "isn't that the car you want????" hehe

So many people have told me to get a Tesla. It's kinda like if someone said "I want a Jetta" and someone replied "You should get a Ferrari instead!" haha

It would be really nice to own a relatively reliable EV and only pay $109 insures + $20ish for "fuel" per month. And as it was suggested, rent a car if I need something else.

Are those charging stations a fair market value of electricity? I assume it's a bit more than you'd pay at home. I have an app and plan all these trips out in my head with it (trips I currently don't go on currently....) but it doesn't say cost. Portland to Eugene a couple times a year or the coast are mainly my trips.

I don't know the cost of public charging in Oregon, but the QC or L2 public charging stations in Phoenix cost much more than my off-peak charging at home. The public charging cost works out to about the same cost per mile as gasoline for my SUV so I use QC stations frequently even though it costs more than charging at home.

TreeStar said:
alozzy said:
It would be really nice to own a relatively reliable EV and only pay $109 insures + $20ish for "fuel" per month.
Why is your insurance so expensive ?

I pay $15 a month for 1M/300k liability

I estimate that our recently purchased 2013 LEAF will end costing us less than $3 a day, all costs included. Amazing value.

SageBrush said:
TreeStar said:
alozzy said:
It would be really nice to own a relatively reliable EV and only pay $109 insures + $20ish for "fuel" per month.
Why is your insurance so expensive ?

I pay $15 a month for 1M/300k liability

I estimate that our recently purchased 2013 LEAF will end costing us less than $3 a day, all costs included. Amazing value.

My insurance might be slightly high, but $15 /month doesn't make sense to me.

I have a clean record, have had current insurance for years, don't have renter/homeowner, single car, single 36 year old guy. I even have an agent who looks around to get me the best deal. She's even gotten me better rates than when I call directly.

A 2013 is slightly more than a 2017. These are both slightly more than my current 2008 Scion XB.

You are basing your $3/day with a payment I take it?

I haven't driven down to the OR Coast yet, almost did it this summer. Likely will next summer.

I think the thing to do is to join the AV Network for $20 per month, so you get unlimited charging. Then, cancel after the 1st month. There might be a penalty though.

Check out plugshare.com or install the app. If you look for the orange ones, those are the QC stations. Tap/click on the icon for details on pricing.

Almost all the L2 EVSEs on the Coast are free.

Back