LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NeilBlanchard said:
My hopes for the new Leaf are that is have better back seat legroom / comfort, and I hope they make a big improvement in the Cd (coefficient of drag). It already is evident they have made the headlights look better.

The headlights do look fantastic, I agree. Looking at the spy shots though, the basic geometry is similar. By making the headlights more conventional it won't look bug eyed and makes that geometry look aggressive instead of insect like.

jhm614 said:
What does this mean for Leaf 2.0? No change? LG batteries?
I see this LG battery implication a lot, in EV media, and this forum. Just like Nissan
does not have to buy steel from just US steel to make body panels, they do not need
to buy cells from LG Chem to have LG batteries. They can buy the components,
namely the electrodes, and the separator from LG, or they can buy the IP from LG Chem,
and have NEC make the components. When Nissan was testing their 60kwh pack,
they had to have made some kind of deal with LG Chem, so they were already
thinking of how they would do the manufacture.

Only real news is the implication that the high-capacity battery pack option will be available at the initial launch of gen 2:

2018 Nissan Leaf due for reveal in September with striking new design

A single picture of the car’s headlight backs suspicion it will take influence from the Micra; 340-mile range predicted

...The gains will come thanks to new battery pack options for the Leaf that will enable Nissan to sell it with a variety of specs, as Tesla does with its models. The largest battery could double the 30kWh lithium ion pack found in the highest-spec version of today’s Leaf.

When the future Leaf arrives next year, it will lead Nissan's charge to grow EVs to represent 20% of its sales by 2020.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-nissan-leaf-due-reveal-september-striking-new-design

From an email about National Drive Electric Week (NDEW) in September:
Some of you may have heard that the next generation Nissan LEAF will be revealed globally in late summer or early fall, and will go on sale later in the fall. That’s great news for NDEW, as we expect that timing will drive some interest to our events.

A few updates regarding the new LEAF at NDEW:

Static Display Vehicles - At this time, Nissan is hoping to support a few NDEW events with static showings of the new LEAF. However, Nissan is still working through logistical details related to the availability of cars and transportation logistics. Also, their final timing to reveal the new LEAF is also still not determined.
Event Materials and Assets - Nissan will provide materials with information on the new LEAF so that you have them before the day of your event.
So, if you're interested in seeing the new LEAF, my guess is that you show up at high-profile NDEW events around SF and LA.

What is the provenance of the image shown here by carscoops?

Is it from Nissan to represent the next Leaf, or did someone else make it up? (Note the copyrights - )

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/future-cars-2018-nissan-leaf-keeps.html

ObiQuiet said:
What is the provenance of the image shown here by carscoops?

Is it from Nissan to represent the next Leaf, or did someone else make it up? (Note the copyrights - )

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/future-cars-2018-nissan-leaf-keeps.html

The image belongs to the folks that watermarked the rendering. It did not originate from Nissan. Notice the headlights are different from the official Nissan photo of that detail.

Reddy said:
So, if you're interested in seeing the new LEAF, my guess is that you show up at high-profile NDEW events around SF and LA.

I would bet that NDEW events in San Diego and Seattle, as well as Denver, Atlanta and some place in the Northeast would also be a place to catch a glimspe of LEAF/Next.

x-post from:

Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others

edatoakrun said:
Nissan's mass roll-out of AEB will precede Propilot on most USA models, and will be standard equipment on 2018 (gen 2) LEAF, among others:

Nissan to offer standard Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) on one million U.S. vehicles in 2018 model year

Nissan today announced that it is making Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) standard on a projected one million vehicles sold in the United States for model year 2018...
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/releases/nissan-to-offer-standard-automatic-emergency-braking-aeb-on-one-million-u-s-vehicles-in-2018-model-year
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&p=496655#p496655

OrientExpress said:
Reddy said:

I would bet that NDEW events in San Diego and Seattle, as well as Denver, Atlanta and some place in the Northeast would also be a place to catch a glimspe of LEAF/Next.
Don't know why this is in September. Invariably it will be a cold, wet day in Seattle.

evnow said:
OrientExpress said:
Reddy said:

Don't know why this is in September. Invariably it will be a cold, wet day in Seattle.

Maybe but we generally have more good days than bad until early October

GetOffYourGas wrote:
rmay635703 wrote:
340 mile range on 60kw?

Seems a little off

They must mean 340km. On the Japanese cycle.

it is "miles" but still on the Japanese Cycle.

Actually its using the rather generous NEDC - New European Driving Cycle.
The article is published online by a United Kingdom magazine/website aimed at Europe.
And if you do a rough calculation the 340 miles equates to about 245 miles on the USA EPA testing parameters - right in the Chevy Bolt ballpark.
And we should probably note that the author states its a "prediction" not that any info or statements have been forthcoming from Nissan etc.

Reliable (?) second-hand report on gen 2...

New details on the 2018 Nissan Leaf

...Let’s sum up the best parts:

Battery capacity increases by 30 % from 30 to about 39 kWh.
Not surprising, considering that if we look at the new Eaton Nissan xStorage battery capacity, the math points to 38,4 kWh. However, Nissan has always reported the total battery capacity, but I’ve been told that from now on, only the usable battery capacity would be advertised – the same way Renault does with its electric cars. If this proves to be true, it would mean that the 38,4 kWh would be usable capacity...

Nissan didn’t reach a deal with LG Chem and keeps the AESC battery cell production going for now.
The new Nissan Leaf made in Japan will get its batteries from Smyrna, Tennessee in the USA...

More powerful motor, probably over 100 kW.

Super strong regenerative braking that completely stops the car – maybe even surpassing the BMW i3...

Available to order in early October, after the official unveil in September...
http://pushevs.com/2017/06/09/new-details-2018-nissan-leaf/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfSjaZVIcQ0

edatoakrun said:
More powerful motor, probably over 100 kW.

Super strong regenerative braking that completely stops the car – maybe even surpassing the BMW i3...

http://pushevs.com/2017/06/09/new-details-2018-nissan-leaf/
Nice Find! More power and stronger re-gen will check a couple of boxes on my wish list. Nissan is going to take some grief if they only launch with a 40kWh battery but the price is really the key - they just have to keep the price away from the Bolt. How much lower is the question... But a 150 mile car would certainly work for me.

It will be interesting if the new Leaf launches with a less than 60 kWh battery. Many other reputable EV sites are reporting that 60 kWh is confirmed. However, it wouldn't surprise me if a more Zoe sized battery is correct. That would put Nissan at the front of the pack of affordable mid-range EVs and thus not competing directly with the Bolt or Model 3 while severely undercutting both in price. This could be a really smart move. The Tesla fanbois will of course declare it a huge mistake, but at the end of the day, sales are what matter. And, I suspect that a new 41 kWh Leaf with a sub-$30K starting price before incentives will sell well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back