NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jesus, is someone merging different threads into this one? This thing is so long and convoluted now, it needs to be taken out back and shot. I don't have time to read 20 past pages and see what everyone's been talking about, but I think this TCU upgrade warrants more than a single thread on the matter - when it's already contained in a forum about the Carwings service...

Anyway, I wanted to post a thread and see if others are having the same problems I'm having with the upgraded 3G system. Twice now, in the couple months I've had it, I've had to pull the fuse and reset it to get it to work again - though, thankfully, I haven't had any 12V battery problems like I did with my 2013 LEAF S. After resetting the TCU, it worked great again. However, even before resetting it, the nav system functions worked fine - posted driving data to Nissan, and Google POI search worked great. Just the remote functions - battery level & remote AC - didn't work.

Starting to sound like a common problem, just from the last page of replies, but good god, I think this deserves its own thread to pull together more reports and information about it...

FalconFour said:
Jesus, is someone merging different threads into this one? This thing is so long and convoluted now, it needs to be taken out back and shot. I don't have time to read 20 past pages and see what everyone's been talking about, but I think this TCU upgrade warrants more than a single thread on the matter - when it's already contained in a forum about the Carwings service...

Anyway, I wanted to post a thread and see if others are having the same problems I'm having with the upgraded 3G system. Twice now, in the couple months I've had it, I've had to pull the fuse and reset it to get it to work again - though, thankfully, I haven't had any 12V battery problems like I did with my 2013 LEAF S. After resetting the TCU, it worked great again. However, even before resetting it, the nav system functions worked fine - posted driving data to Nissan, and Google POI search worked great. Just the remote functions - battery level & remote AC - didn't work.

Starting to sound like a common problem, just from the last page of replies, but good god, I think this deserves its own thread to pull together more reports and information about it...

There have been other threads...but this one has survived because it has addressed the main problems. These things are sometimes an iterative process...with the occasional diversions (like bad 12v batteries)...but the "fuse pull" has pretty much emerged as the main long term issue.

From here: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22752&start=160

1. It's very very unlikely that the TCU's active current drain is such that the charging system can't compensate,
i.e. the active TCU current is most likely less than 1-2 amps. If the standby current, when the vehicle is off and
when the TCU should be in its "sleep" mode is never entered, that could result is a dead 12V battery, i.e. a function
of the active current and time between each "startup" and driving. Those "motivated" owners could attempt
to measure the active current drain of the TCU, i.e. the "delta" Leaf current @ the 12V battery. Also, the Leaf
"sleep" current should be measured, typically less that 100ma (mine about 60ma).
2. If the TCU "hangs" in a mode when trying to connect and the vehicle is subsequently turned-off, the TCU may
fail to enter its "sleep" mode. This could be a firmware problem. I personally don't access the TCU remotely,
i.e. I only use it to update the charging stations. I know when the TCU completes it operation, so using the
remote access mode could be problematic. My TCU failed to connect once after using Carwings, necessitating
a disconnecting of the 12V battery to reset the TCU. Resetting of the TCU's fault codes failed to re-establish
the TCU's functionality. I have avoided using Carwings since. Those using the remote function (Carwings)
need to correlate the TCU's operation and their dead battery.

Bottom Line: Without more meaningful data, no valid conclusions can be arrived at.

Hi all. Thought I would add my experience as well. I should note that I have the original 12v battery and have never had an issue with a dead 12v batt. The TCU on my 2012 Leaf was upgraded three months ago. After about a month it stopped communicating with the network and could not be reset. In addition the amber EV warning light illuminated about four to five mornings a week. That TCU was replaced with a new one. It seemed to work for about two weeks but then I noticed that the charging stopped and unplugged reminders were turned off in the nav's carwings settings. After enabling these settings the EV warning light started to illuminate about 50% of mornings. Taking it back to the dealer today.

-Sean

The day after I wrote the post last week was the last time I got a Charge Completed notification. I called the LEAF EV line this morning to ask them to look into it.

This afternoon I got the amber EV System Warning Light. LeafSpyPro shows the P3131 00C0 EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220 DTC.

My symptoms sound like many others reported in this thread. I've never had a 12v battery problem. I'm calling the EV line again and taking the car to the dealer. I didn't pay $200 for them to break the car.

(update: on the way to the dealer, the warning light was off. I left it there anyway)

Continuation of my saga from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=494796#p494796.

So, everything seemed ok or mostly ok for probably a week w/no ! yellow car lights including thru the Memorial Day weekend (so, thru Mon 5/29), possibly going as far back as 5/17. Prior to 5/29, it looks like the last charge complete email I received was on Fri 5/26. Over the weekend, I did notice some wonkiness (I think) w/the NissanConnect app showing 0 miles and not being able to retrieve info. Wasn't clear if it was due to AT&T reception probs.

Drove to work on Tuesday morning 5/30 (still no warning lights). Parked, and turned on timer 1 (timer 2 was off) w/my midnight to midnight 80% timer. Turned car off, opened charging door, hoping someone would plug me in later or that I'd plug myself in.

I returned to my car in the afternoon which I found hadn't been plugged in. The 2 original cars nearby were still plugged in. Was planning to move my car to another level in the garage. Upon power up, I see the darn ! yellow car again. Checked DTCs and confirmed this was present:
P3131 000B EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220

I'm pretty sure I cleared it before. The car hadn't even been plugged in! Of course, after a few cycles, the warning light went away.

Later in the day, in the evening of 5/30, I did receive a charging complete email once I finished charging (to 100%, I shut the timer off). And, no yellow ! car was present. I do recall hearing my car recite stats from a Nissan feed that day (mentioning as of May 28th stats).

Will probably clear that DTC again to see if it and the yellow ! car come back.

cwerdna said:
Continuation of my saga from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=494796#p494796.
Sigh. What's happening to you looks like my future.

Have you (or anyone) yet reported this to the Nissan EV hotline folks? I haven't - yet.

Continuation of my saga since 4 months ago: my Carwings works perfectly every single day and Leaf Manager updates itself within minutes and I never have really paid attention to it because now it just works. The only time it doesn't is when the car is parked in an area with poor 3G coverage.

Mine has worked except for one episode that started 30 days after the installation. At that time, I received the incomplete shutdown errors (yellow EV warnings) after charging two nights in a row followed by a completely dead 12-volt battery when the car was parked in the driveway for 5 days (not plugged in and nothing in OBDII port). I did nothing except jump start the car and it has worked flawlessly for 4-1/2 months since then.

GerryAZ said:
Mine has worked except for one episode that started 30 days after the installation. At that time, I received the incomplete shutdown errors (yellow EV warnings) after charging two nights in a row followed by a completely dead 12-volt battery when the car was parked in the driveway for 5 days (not plugged in and nothing in OBDII port). I did nothing except jump start the car and it has worked flawlessly for 4-1/2 months since then.

I had a couple of times in the last week without receiving plug in reminder/charge complete emails and texts and I noticed that remote climate control/status updates were no longer working. I pulled the 20-ampere fuse (number 34) for a minute or two this morning before starting the car and everything is working fine again. I hope that a future software update for the telematics unit will fix this occasional glitch, but in the mean time I can pull the fuse whenever necessary.

WetEV said:
After getting the third unit installed, and one fuse pull a week later, has just worked.

Shouldn't have said this.

Two fuse pulls now. Stopped working a few days ago, pulled the fuse last night. Works today.

GerryAZ said:
I hope that a future software update for the telematics unit will fix this occasional glitch, but in the mean time I can pull the fuse whenever necessary.

It's questionable whether the TCU can be re-flashed (if that's even possible - may only have a flash data memory)
in the vehicle, i.e. not all vehicle ECUs can be re-flashed in a vehicle. The solution may be another TCU upgrade.

Those having continued TCU problems should avoid using Carwings for awhile to help determine whether the ongoing problem relates to the TCU "hanging" in a mode when connecting to Carwings.

I am scheduled to get my TCU upgraded tomorrow. I am now rethinking whether I should do this based on these ongoing battery issues. Is it just a 1 in 100 thing or is it more common than that?

There is no choice if you want remote access because it will not work when AT&T discontinues 2G service in your area. I have only had problems twice. Once about 30 days after the upgrade and once last week which was about 5-1/2 months since the upgrade.

Mine has been working "normally" since my problems with the 12V battery I reported earlier. "normally" means it generally works for charge completed messages, only failing to report a completed charge 1 out of every 5 times or so. Remote queries of the battery work about 60% of the time. This is about as problematic as it was on the 2G network.

sirpurrcival said:
I am scheduled to get my TCU upgraded tomorrow. I am now rethinking whether I should do this based on these ongoing battery issues. Is it just a 1 in 100 thing or is it more common than that?

Just do it! And pull the fuse if/when it stops "connecting" for more than a couple of days (there are always "glitches" in the system).

Back