Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - PHEV minivan

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this vehicle was/is supposed to debut "this fall".........has anyone heard anything concrete yet?
I searched around but found nothing really new, most articles dated back to January and only a few mostly useless ones since then.
The best(most technical) article I read was from back in June and it gave some nice specifics about the battery. Unlike our Leaf the pack will be heated(by the gas engine or 7kw heater) via glycol/water and most importantly for our Southern(hot) people, "a refrigerant based a/c chiller system". They compared it to the thermal management in a Bolt. AFA the transmission they said it was a "Single input electrically variable transmission, SIEVT" which I hope is more like the Leaf than other CVT transmissions I've used in ICE vehicles which I really don't like, but I like the Leaf's transmission.
Unfortunately with the PHEV you lose the second row "stow n go" seats but you can remove them for more cargo room if needed.
As probably mentioned previously in this thread it will have a LG 16kwh battery pack which should give the maximum tax rebate of currently $7500 with a projected 30 mile EV only range and top EV speed of 75mph. They say it will "take 2hrs to charge at L2" which for a 16kwh battery should mean it has a ~30a built in changer, very nice IMO.
I really hope it has the engine breaking(regen) of a Leaf in B or ECO mode. I drove a 6 passenger Ford Freestyle this weekend and while it drove nicely on the road I couldn't stand the CVT! It was slow as a slug in town and had absolutely no engine breaking after letting off on the gas. It would coast for 100s and 100s(seemed like thousands) of feet without even slowing down, made me have to use the breaks(and hard) lots more than I'd like. Once you get used to the regen on a Leaf it's hard to go back to a vehicle that makes you push hard on the breaks every time you take your foot off the gas :(
I'm waiting Chrysler!
http://articles.sae.org/14871/

I'm pretty sure the transmission is an ECVT like the Volt/Prius. I also have no idea when this comes out. It may be soon though. The non-ev version was on schedule and seems to be very well liked.

DanCar said:
If they are using LG batteries then expect production to begin in October. That is when LG will allow their lower pricing to take effect.
Interesting, if they only start getting their batteries in October I wouldn't expect models to start hitting showrooms until early '17........but then whats missed deadlines, after all Mitsubishi has been missing deadlines for going on 3 years with their PHEV Outlander ;)
I don't really need a vehicle like this until spring so as long as they can make that date and it's something I like when I see and drive it, I'll be OK :)
Of course if Mitsubishi gets their act together and introduces their Outlander before that......well I'm not holding my breath :lol:

It seems almost certain the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - PHEV minivan will be in America far before Outlander PHEV arrives.
Its even possible that the son of PHEV may sell in EU/JP before the PHEV arrives in USA.

The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid - PHEV seems like it will be a very good minivan, can it take some SUV sales? (look at SUV sales this month. Toyota RAV4 hybrid ~5,000 sales in August USA)

Via GCC:
2017 Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid starts at US$41,995
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161115-pacifica.html

The all-new 2017 Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid minivan (earlier post) lineup features two highly equipped models, starting at $41,995 Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), not including destination [dest. $1.095]. . . .

The 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is the only hybrid minivan in the US. It delivers an estimated 30 miles of all-electric range, 530 miles of total range and 80 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) in city driving. It also offers many of the same features offered by the gasoline-powered Pacifica, including tri-pane panoramic sunroof, 10-inch seatback touchscreens, ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park Assist, 360-degree Surround View camera, ventilated seats, rotary e-shifter, capless fuel filler, handsfree sliding doors and liftgate and KeySense programmable key fob. . . .

The agreement with FCA US marks the first time LG Chem will engineer and manufacture a complete battery pack in Michigan for a volume production North American PHEV. The battery carries a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty. . . .

Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Premium. The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Premium . . . includ[es] perforated leather seats, heated first-row seats, remote start with cabin pre-conditioning, three-zone automatic temperature control, projector headlamps, fog lamps, chrome trim accents and power liftgate. The Pacifica Hybrid Premium also features the SafetyTec Group as standard, which includes ParkSense rear park assist with stop, Blind-spot Monitoring and Rear Cross Path detection.

Other standard features include Active Noise Cancellation, LED signature lighting, six-speaker audio system, SiriusXM satellite radio with 1-year trial, 17-inch aluminum wheels, ParkView rear backup camera and passive entry on all doors.

The Pacifica Hybrid Premium also includes as standard a 7-inch full color driver information display (DID), unique to the Pacifica Hybrid models. The customizable cluster’s display changes color to indicate whether the Pacifica Hybrid is operating in electric mode (teal) or hybrid mode (blue), while both the battery level and fuel level are always displayed. . . .

Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum. The Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum . . . add Nappa leather seats, ventilated first-row seats, heated two-tone steering wheel, 13-speaker Alpine premium sound system, 3-D navigation, handsfree sliding doors and liftgate and 18-inch aluminum wheels.

The Pacifica Hybrid Platinum also includes the Uconnect Theater rear seat entertainment system and KeySense programmable key fob to promote safe driving habits.

Additional safety content includes the Advanced SafetyTec Group with advanced brake assist, Forward Collison Warning-Plus, rain-sensitive windshield wipers, auto high-beam headlamp control, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop and Hold, LaneSense Lane Departure Warning-Plus, 360-degree Surround View camera, ParkSense Parallel/Perpendicular Park Assist, and ParkSense front park assist and rear park assist with stop.

The all-new Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum has a US MSRP of $44,995 (plus $1,095 destination).

Via IEVS:
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Test Drive Review
http://insideevs.com/2017-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-test-drive/

Pros
. . . you can drive as far as 33 miles without using a drop of gasoline. And when you do have to use the gas engine, the EPA rates the Pacifica Hybrid at 32 miles per gallon combined, which is also up from the 22 mpg combined rating of a non-hybrid Pacifica. Fully recharging the 16-kilowatt-hour battery takes only two hours on a Level 2 charger. . . .

Easy to use as a hybrid. To operate the Pacifica Hybrid, you simply get in, push the Start button, and twist the rotary shifter to Drive. There are no driving modes to mess with, no unusual procedures. It drives like a minivan and the computers do the thinking of improving efficiency. Everyday users – who may be new to PHEVs in general – will find this simplicity a bonus. Efficiency nerds and plug-in fanatics might be disappointed by the lack of ability to, say, force the Pacifica into EV mode or force it to use its gas engine, functions that are offered on other PHEVs.

. . . the Chrysler Pacifica is an excellent minivan. Abundant storage, easy ingress to the second and third rows, a capacious cargo area (32.3 cubic feet even with all rows of seats in use), and a comfortable ride make this an easy go-to recommendation for any family.

Responsive infotainment system. The Pacifica’s 8.4-inch touchscreen display is one of my favorites among all new cars. It responds quickly to finger presses; its big, clear graphics are easy to read at a glance; and all its integrated functions work easily. On this model in particular, I especially like the utility of the 360-degree camera system and the various on-screen controls for the rear entertainment screens.

Cons
Loosey-goosey steering. The Pacifica Hybrid’s exceptionally light and vague steering imparts no real sense of straight-ahead. I don’t get a great sense of directional control, and while low-speed urban maneuvers can be done with one finger, highway driving leaves a lot to be desired in terms of driver confidence.

Less stowing and going . . . the hybrid model lacks the second-row Stow ‘N Go seat functionality. The third-row seats still fold into the floor, a wonderful feature that makes it easier to create a big, flat load floor for carrying big objects. The second-row seats can still be removed, but not as easily as in non-hybrid models with Stow ‘N Go. . . .

DanCar said:
TomT said:
Chrysler/Jeep/Fiat has the worst reliability record of any mainstream manufacturer... I'll pass!
It also has the best quality and reliability of any plug-in minivan in the U.S.
:lol:
As the only plug-in minivan in the US ;)
At one point I was quite serious about this but the price and extremely limited availability kind of turned me off. Maybe I'll hold out for a few years after they come off leases, which would also give time for bugs to be worked out :)
I'm also turned off to get the PHEV one must get the most deluxe models....of course I guess Nissan did that with the Leaf as well. Year one only the best SL, year 2 either SL or SV and only by year 3('13) did they offer a more basic S model, which I got.

GCC:
2019 Chyrsler Pacifica Hybrid gas mileage review: the ideal family hauler
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1123839_2019-chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-fuel-economy

Averages over 29 mpg for the 1,640 mile trip, which is pretty damned impressive for a van. It provides a reminder just how much of an advantage a fossil-fueled ICE with its ubiquitous infrastructure and fast refueling has for road trips. Zero planning, max. convenience and flexibility, especially in remote areas.

BTW, the car has no hold mode, so it always uses the AER first.

Back