Used 2015 vs 2016?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaftryer said:
I don't like black leather seats in the summer.

I'm with you, when it comes to leather: I'm looking for a leaf with heat-pump, quick-charge, but I don't like leather in the summer or winter. I've been looking for a white 2013/2014 SV with LED/QC. Unfortunately, the selection is pretty slim. OTOH, there are many white SLs to choose from. I've wondered if I should just get an SL and sew covers for the seats?

A few thoughts:

2016 SV may not have auto headlights, but it still has the auto-off "battery saver" timer that shuts off the lights about 45 seconds or so after you turn off the car. It will briefly chime as you exit the vehicle. They will turn back on after you restart the car.

Our two 2016 SVs are holding steady at about 93% SOH and 5000 each miles since purchase some 14 months ago. Real world range is about 100 miles highway and 130 miles city. One car has seen 100F+ battery temps and the other has not. Same SOH for now.

We are in the PNW. As always: YMMV.

Just came across a 2015 used leaf at 25K miles for 13K and has all 12 bars and a 2016 model for 17K. Two questions:

1. There is a free 4 bar within 5 year warranty but most folks I meet tell me that even with 12 bars and no AC, etc., on, you are not guaranteed the battery give you a real 80 miles because of the limited battery cycles like any other battery. So, what is a good measure of the battery range before buying?
2. Is there any link/discussion that talks about this lower mileage even with 12 bars if its true or at least get an estimate of how much that degradation is? Or, the bars exactly represent what they are saying in a Leaf, i.e., there is no way I only get, say, 60-70 miles in city with no AC, etc., with 12 bars full charge - i.e., Leaf is always right?
3. Is it worth buying a 2014 car that has the 4 bar problem for cheaper at 6000$ and easily get the battery replacement for free? Is this feasible?

The 2016 Leaf has a larger 30kwh battery, but ironically it will degrade so much faster than the 24kwh 2015 that it will have less capacity and range within a couple of years if your climate is warm or hot. The 2015 has the best battery Nissan every made. You need to use LeafSpy to determine the actual capacity of the 2015, but 80 miles of range would be at lower speeds only - say 40MPH.

Any updated thoughts on the 2015 vs 2016? I am also trying to decide between these two. I live in the Seattle area and commute 32 miles round trip. I'm finding more 2016s for sale but will keep looking if the 2015 is that much better.

For Seattle I wouldn’t worry too much about heat-related degradation, and that’s the biggest concern when getting a 30 kWH model (which all 2016 SV and SL cars have). You can get the “old” style 24 kWH battery with the Leaf S but I don’t recommend it for your climate as its heater uses up more energy than the heat pump of the more expensive trim levels.

Back