trunk light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think that's possible, the switch is built into the latch. Probably the easiest thing to do is to simply remove the bulb

Thank you--I was thinking--hoping that their was a better work around.Have to find one place to hide a light bulb.

There is no reason for someone to disable that light. You don't see it when you drive, and it can only help you at night....

I think the original poster does not want to drain his battery if the light stays on.... I also don't trust interior dome lights that stay on for a while... Don't worry about the trunk light... It works as it should...

Thank you for your thoughtful response.
We teach Yoga and keep the props we use in the back of our Leaf. Once at class I open the trunk so people can help themselves.
It's true that I'm concerned that with the trunk open and the light on that it will drain the battery.It was easy to find how to turn off the door-interior lights and thought that it would be just as easy to disable the trunk light.We have 1999 truck and a 2000 van that we bought new.So this is our first new can in 17 years. We are very excited with our Leaf and challenge with all the new technology. - this is a good thing. I guess that I must be getting out ahead of it all "thinking"that their was a button or switch some place and all that I had to do was ( find It ). I know that I could take out the bulb but this just seems to be to low tech. And not in keeping with all the other wonderfull-ness in our car.

Agreed, if 12V battery drain is the real concern, then swap out the incandescent bulb with an LED equivalent. I think mine uses less than 5w. The 12V battery likely has 1kWh of capacity so it would take a LONG time to significantly drain the battery.

My 2016 SV automatically turns off interior lights if a door is left open long enough. Might be 5 or 10 minutes.

I replaced my trunk light with a bright white LED from the local auto store. Much better visibility and doesn't get so hot.

This is another reason I like Toyota better than Nissan, they think about little things like this. Our '07 Prius has the same hatch light but included a little switch, used it many times, easy peasy :)
The problem with the 10 minute timeout is if anyone opens any other door, it starts the 10 minutes over. Even though the light won't draw enough power to drain the battery, I personally wouldn't want it on to attract the many bugs that fly at night, it would literately be a bug magnet!

If you just want a switch that can switch between normal operation and always off that is easy. It would take a few minutes with a dremel a 50 cent rocker switch and a soldering iron.

Any car stereo shop can do it for you if you don't have the skills or tools to do it yourself.

Back