LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jhm614 said:
5 days to go!

What do we think we know so far?
New front and rear design
Same / very similar mid-body design
At least one two-tone paint option
A weak green paint option
40 kWh base
60 kWh option - but not sure it's available at launch
S, SV, SL price points similar to current prices
ProPilot option - single lane highway driving
ePedal - very strong regen, single pedal driving (is this an option or standard?)
--
Things we don't know:
Range
Price for 60 kWh upgrade
Charging Speed
Availability for 60 kWh option
General Availability

What else am I missing? Think we'll get any more leaks between now and Tuesday?

That's a good list. I would add that it certainly looks like the new Leaf will have lower aero drag. And probably, it will have a more powerful motor.

~4 days till:

New Nissan LEAF World Premier

Live video by Youtube
<Information>

Live Schedule: 1:25 - 2:00(GMT) / 9:25 - 10:00 (JST), September 6 *Subject to Change
*This page is English audio stream (Click here for Japanese audio stream)

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NISSANCHANNEL/LIVE/newsroom2.html

NeilBlanchard said:
jhm614 said:
5 days to go!

What do we think we know so far?
New front and rear design
Same / very similar mid-body design
At least one two-tone paint option
A weak green paint option
40 kWh base
60 kWh option - but not sure it's available at launch
S, SV, SL price points similar to current prices
ProPilot option - single lane highway driving
ePedal - very strong regen, single pedal driving (is this an option or standard?)
--
Things we don't know:
Range
Price for 60 kWh upgrade
Charging Speed
Availability for 60 kWh option
General Availability

What else am I missing? Think we'll get any more leaks between now and Tuesday?

That's a good list. I would add that it certainly looks like the new Leaf will have lower aero drag. And probably, it will have a more powerful motor.

I'll add better interior packaging so more useful room inside. I'd bet that interior trim will be improved, and how about a surprise with the EVSE?

OrientExpress said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Add thermal management to the don't know list?

I will wager that thermal management will be simply good engineering, chemistry and passive.
A big outfit like Nissan probably looks at how much they spent replacing batteries in warm climates vs how much TMS would add to the cost of every car and concludes they're better off without it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
A big outfit like Nissan probably looks at how much they spent replacing batteries in warm climates vs how much TMS would add to the cost of every car and concludes they're better off without it.

If you are still using the 2011/12 LEAF as your reference point, your observation might be valid, but there has been a lot of progress and lessons learned from those early experiences, and my experience with a 2014 car which is completely different from my 2011 car is my reference point, so I tend to believe that the technology is simply better today than it was 7 years ago.

I would also speculate that the proof of this will be if the battery warranty on the new car is better than in past years.

OrientExpress said:
I would also speculate that the proof of this will be if the battery warranty on the new car is better than in past years.
Battery Warranty! Another good one. That needs to go on the list!

OrientExpress said:
Now they are saying that "customer" production won't start until January.
Wow - everyone on TMC and the internet missed this news. My Model 3 delivery times are same too.

Link ?

OrientExpress said:
evnow said:
OrientExpress said:
Now they are saying that "customer" production won't start until January.
Wow - everyone on TMC and the internet missed this news. My Model 3 delivery times are same too.

Link ?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TeslaMotorsModel3/permalink/833643966813464/

You mean this - from someone not even related to Tesla ? Anyway, October is not new at all - everyone knows employees would get priority (announced before reservations opened).

There won't be any cars going to the public to sometime in probably late October which is still a couple months away.

Where is the link to Tesla saying "customer production won't start until January" ?

LTLFTcomposite said:
That makes sense - and they continuously improve thermal perf of batteries.

This is also the reason I think 60 kWh Leaf is not close by. If they get the battery from LG, it probably needs TMS.

OrientExpress said:
I would also speculate that the proof of [better battery] will be if the battery warranty on the new car is better than in past years.

+1!

Where is the link to Tesla saying "customer production won't start until January" ?

Here is the link, it is just going to happen, stuff like this and especially of the magnitude that Tesla wants to ramp production in a plant that is still under construction on schedule is very very very hard to do, so a one-quarter slip is perfectly understandable.

However, I believe that a slip of two-quarters or more is not out of the question. I find it interesting today with everyone reporting their August sales/deliveries that the silence from Tesla is almost deafening.

I went flying a few weeks ago around the valley and flew over the Tesla plant in Fremont. If you look closely, you see that stuff is happening everywhere outside the plant and there is all sorts of construction going on. Check out in the lower left of the photo there is a 10-20 story building going up there that is going to stage all the parts for the cars being built all by robots. It isn't even built yet. Not shown, the massive warehouse facility in Pleasington/Livermore, and of course the Gigafactory. Don't forget staffing, training and all that HR stuff.

This is why I believe that Tesla is rolling the dice that all of these projects going on are going to mesh well enough to produce 100K Model 3s next year. This I gotta see.

tesla-plant.jpg

Would appreciate a link. Thanks.
OrientExpress said:
Here is the link, it is just going to happen, stuff like this and especially of the magnitude that Tesla wants to ramp production in a plant that is still under construction on schedule is very very very hard to do, so a one-quarter slip is perfectly understandable.

However, I believe that a slip of two-quarters or more is not out of the question. I find it interesting today with everyone reporting their August sales/deliveries that the silence from Tesla is almost deafening.

I went flying a few weeks ago around the valley and flew over the Tesla plant in Fremont. If you look closely, you see that stuff is happening everywhere outside the plant and there is all sorts of construction going on. Check out in the lower left of the photo there is a 10-20 story building going up there that is going to stage all the parts for the cars being built all by robots. It isn't even built yet. Not shown, the massive warehouse facility in Pleasington/Livermore, and of course the Gigafactory. Don't forget staffing, training and all that HR stuff.

This is why I believe that Tesla is rolling the dice that all of these projects going on are going to mesh well enough to produce 100K Model 3s next year. This I gotta see.

tesla-plant.jpg

OrientExpress said:

The correct terminology in that case is NOT "Tesla is saying" but "I guess" or "I bet".

There are a hundred auto industry experts claiming Tesla can't do ABC - only for Tesla to do exactly ABC.

Here is my personal belief that I wrote in the Model 3 thread.

It is fair to say Model 3s are not being sold to customers who are free to talk about their car - so, Jul/Aug/Sep deliveries are really internal, even if employees are paying for the cars. We should see Tesla owners get to configure cars shortly - and those deliveries should start in October. If they don't then, Tesla would be behind the schedule Musk tweeted out sometime back.

I personally always assumed Tesla would be at this stage (i.e. soft deliveries) in December. Tesla seems to be ahead by 5 or 6 months from that assumption, so its good. I add 3 months to whatever delivery schedule they are showing for me now - and if they deliver by then, I'd consider it great.

Even so, in the large scheme of things 3 or 6 months delay is mostly meaningless. What would be the share of EVs in the car market in 5 or 10 years ? That's what matters.

So you say Tomato and I say tomato. But it's the same thing.

And Tesla is actually saying what you and I both concede is happening. The question is if can they mange their ramp burn to actually be in the long game. They only have about 12 months to do that.

evnow said:
I personally always assumed Tesla would be at this stage (i.e. soft deliveries) in December. Tesla seems to be ahead by 5 or 6 months from that assumption, so its good. I add 3 months to whatever delivery schedule they are showing for me now - and if they deliver by then, I'd consider it great.

Even so, in the large scheme of things 3 or 6 months delay is mostly meaningless. What would be the share of EVs in the car market in 5 or 10 years ? That's what matters.

Part of what matters is their history of missing timelines. Now, the early adopters are much more forgiving in this regard. But as they transition to mass-market they need to be a little more serious and stop promising things they can't deliver. No more Model X style rollouts. Under-promise, over-deliver.... Real artists ship, and other proverbs :) Meeting this schedule (for real) would be a big boost to their credibility as an automobile manufacturer.

Post TSLA crap on TSLA threads, please.

New Nissan LEAF World Premier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7QxQGHx0Uo

Live video by Youtube
<Information>

Live Schedule: 1:25 - 2:00(GMT) / 9:25 - 10:00 (JST), September 6 *Subject to Change
*This page is English audio stream (Click here for Japanese audio stream)

Live Channel
http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NISSANCHANNEL/LIVE/newsroom2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back