2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
So I don't see how you could possibly still have 12 bars of battery life remaining?

You question my data? Check with Dave (DaveinOlyWA - has one of the highest post counts).
His '13 had about the same mileage with even a higher Ahr reading when it was returned
AND 12 bars.
He is confused by your earlier post stating 51 Ahr and 12 bars.
I think you mean you have 12 bars at 51k miles.

What *is* your Ahrs ?

lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
So I don't see how you could possibly still have 12 bars of battery life remaining?

You question my data? Check with Dave (DaveinOlyWA - has one of the highest post counts).
His '13 had about the same mileage with even a higher Ahr reading when it was returned
AND 12 bars.

Dave lives in a much cooler climate, so it makes sense that he'd still have 12 bars (with a higher AHr value to correspond with it)

Whereas you and I are in SoCal, so a higher rate of degradation is expected. What does not make sense is your battery being at 75% SOH and still having 12 bars. That's just not possible for a 24kwh battery.

Edit: I won't dignify your judgement about what negative posts I have read with a response.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

AND 12 bars.

What *is* your Ahrs ?

51Ahr corresponds to his reported SOH of 75%. I don't think lorenfb's battery health gauge is working correctly.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

AND 12 bars.

What *is* your Ahrs ?

From my corrected typo post up thread:

How do you explain my 24kWh Leaf at 54k, 12 bars, 51 Ahrs.

Sorry for the confusion. An additional data point; SOH = 75%.
Other data:

1. Max battery temp <= 38 deg C
2. Max battery discharge point => 15 Ahrs
3. Typical QC < 15 minutes
4. Typical number of QCs per week ~ 3
5. Always L2 to 100% & 5x per week
6. Typical freeway speed 50 - 55 MPH, resulting in a typical battery power
of 15 - 20kW (level terrain)
7. Average miles per kWh - 5.1 (expected range @ 30-40 MPH - 2 miles/Ahrs)
8. Typical max range before QC needed - 60-65 miles (assumes min Ahrs>15)

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
AND 12 bars.

What *is* your Ahrs ?

Other data:

With a 60 mile range on a full charge, your battery gauge should be down 2 bars (showing 10 bars out of 12), and look like this (note the empty spaces to the left of the "1"):
100percentSOC.jpg

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
51Ahr corresponds to his reported SOH of 75%. I don't think lorenfb's battery health gauge is working correctly.

So should I bring my Leaf to Arcadia and you'll troubleshoot "my problem"? You do have a Nissan Consult III
diagnostic tool, right? We would possibly need an oscilloscope. So I'll bring my 50MHz sampling scope to
check the microcontroller chip in the BMS. Maybe we could read the BMS' micro-code and then disassemble
it to find "my problem". Erratic power-ons to ECUs have known to be problematic for automotive electronics
corrupting the flash memory in an ECU's microcontroller. If that's the case, your Consult III should be able to
re-flash it. But maybe not, since Nissan will probably require our logging-on to their website to download the
re-flash data file and authorize it. Well, let's give it a try, OK?

lorenfb, no one is questioning your data, we are just curious how come your 24kWh pack still shows 12 bars with a 75% SOH, the general understanding is that the first bar drops at 85% SOH. This has nothing to do with climate, charging habits, etc.

Loren's situation may seen impossible but I have to put it in the ever growing list of outliers that seemingly popping up with regularity lately. We also have cars with SOHof 99% and Hx in the low 80's. How does that happen?

First posts I chalk up to user errors or simply unintentional typos. I have done it a ton of times. said one thing when I meant something completely different. Partially my fault. In the morning (its 4:22 am right now) I get up, get coffee started and jump online and open a dozen windows or so and bounce between them. bad habit developed during the days of dial up when it took too long to load and refresh pages.

I should ban myself from posting until the 2nd cup of coffee.

FYI; 2011 44,598 miles, 256 GIDs, 56 ahr, SOH/Hx ~ 87% (first bar loss expected around 83%)

2013; 44,940 miles, 262 GIDs, ahr 60.30, Hx 91.50

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
AND 12 bars.

What *is* your Ahrs ?

Other data:

Did I miss your report of an Ahr rating from LeafSpy on a full charge ?
Your (8) is not helpful. If you provide a start Ahr, end Ahr, and Odometer change for a 50+ mile trip it would make some sense. Collect a few so we can gauge precision of the test or combine them for an estimate.

I agree that lorenFB either has a quirky meter or he is playing games with us (or both.)
I think it reasonable to ignore data about his car until he posts current photos of LeafSpy and his car meter.

Certainly his poorly reported range +/- remaining Ahrs implies severe degradation:
At ~ 5 miles per kWh his 60 - 65 miles of travel = 12 - 13.2 kWh used
"At least 15 Ahrs" remaining, based on 66 Ahr/24 kWh in a new battery, is equal to 5.45 kWh
So his battery has between 17.45 - 18.65 kWh capacity. That indeed would be a ballpark SOH of ~ 75

Whatever, it does not change the large body of reports documenting loss of range and LeafSpy stated capacity

lorenfb said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

So should I bring my Leaf to Arcadia and you'll troubleshoot "my problem"? You do have a Nissan Consult III
diagnostic tool, right? We would possibly need an oscilloscope. So I'll bring my 50MHz sampling scope to
check the microcontroller chip in the BMS. Maybe we could read the BMS' micro-code and then disassemble
it to find "my problem". Erratic power-ons to ECUs have known to be problematic for automotive electronics
corrupting the flash memory in an ECU's microcontroller. If that's the case, your Consult III should be able to
re-flash it. But maybe not, since Nissan will probably require our logging-on to their website to download the
re-flash data file and authorize it. Well, let's give it a try, OK?

Is your sarcastic posting an admission that your car isn't normal? You've babied it and it's degradation is only minimally better than my 2013 S when I turned it in at 46k miles, ~78% SOH (showed 1 bar lost).

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

What *is* your Ahrs ?

Other data:

Your (8) is not helpful. If you provide a start Ahr, end Ahr, and Odometer change for a 50+ mile trip it would make some sense. Collect a few so we can gauge precision of the test or combine them for an estimate.

Have a reading problem?

65 miles / (51 - 15 Ahrs) = 1.7 miles/Ahrs, or typically 60 miles / (51 - 21 Ahrs) = 2 miles/Ahrs

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:

Other data:

Have a reading problem?

No reading problem, you said "Sorry for the confusion."

Your car would be exceptional (and malfunctioning) if it currently displays 12 bars capacity at 51 Ahrs when fully charged, or you are lying.
I'll wait for a non-manipulated photo of your display before deciding which is correct.

SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:

Have a reading problem?

Your car would be exceptional (and malfunctioning) if it currently displays 12 bars capacity at 51 Ahrs when fully charged, or you are lying.
I'll wait for a non-manipulated photo of your display before deciding which is correct.

After owning a Leaf for 7 months, you're now an expert evaluating other Leaf's data? What a joke!
Initially you didn't even know what an Ahr was.

lorenfb said:
SageBrush said:
lorenfb said:
Have a reading problem?

After owning a Leaf for 7 months, you're now an expert evaluating other Leaf's data? What a joke!
Initially you didn't even know what an Ahr was.
Expert enough ... maybe ... to evaluate your photo of your car meter for photoshopping.
Expert enough to count the battery capacity bars on the photo.

Most definitely not expert or anything remotely resembling expert when it comes to electronics.
I'm pretty sure you know a lot more about electronics than I do, but the current question is whether you are truthful in your reporting

lorenfb said:
and this:
inst1_zpsnn96zemm.jpg
This picture shows you are down 1 bar.
lorenfb said:
How do you explain my 24kWh Leaf at 54k, 12 bars, 51 Ahrs
The last few pages of this thread have been about how this statement didn't make sense. It turns out the problem is you are at 11 bars, not 12.

Back