Ford Focus EV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was talked about it earlier - but that was from a different photo. Wow... that trunk is still pretty useless. You couldn't fit anything there? A notebook perhaps?

Hmmm - what do you guys think is the opening space there - between the hump and the trunk lid - 12" ?

A little bit space left after the L1 cable.

focus-2011-01-10-800-01.jpg

focus-2011-01-10-800-07.jpg

evnow said:
Hmmm - what do you guys think is the opening space there - between the hump and the trunk lid - 12" ?

Yes, trunk space is going to be a problem for those that need it, no doubt!

As I don't need it, it is not a consideration, but it will reduce available sales for sure.

I guess for people with younger kids, this won't work (unless bought as a pure commuter). Even for me, I would find it difficult to do my normal shopping round ...

For people who need trunk space, Ford will probably say "Buy Energi plug-in".

can't even get a dead body in that trunk :) I guess no sale to any mobsters... no that they are known for being "greenies"

I am not too obssessed with the trunk space, it looks just fine for me for daily commutes and grocery runs. Obviously, none of the current EVs will work for camping. I am curious about the price, if it's the same as Leaf it might be worth considering, but if it's even 2k or more I would pass...

Looks like it --might-- be able to fit a set of clubs going cross-wise, and certainly the weekly grocery store haul would fit, but looks like runs to Costco would be a mighty iffy proposition as would that extra set of 12" woofers. Then again, if you're looking at 12" woofers in your trunk, perhaps you're not too worried about trunk space anyways.. :D

Anyway, compromised trunk space is one of the side effects of a conversion. Benefits of conversion are faster time to market (unlike Volt & Leaf, Ford hasn't worked on Focus EV for 5 years).

evnow said:
Anyway, compromised trunk space is one of the side effects of a conversion. Benefits of conversion are faster time to market (unlike Volt & Leaf, Ford hasn't worked on Focus EV for 5 years).

Yeah, looks like a quick job for Ford. Just slap electric components with batteries and call it a breakthrough... All other car makers should do this...

Good to see this car coming out. Maybe the Ford salesmen will be a little more forthcoming with cost details than I'm getting from the guys at the local Nissan dealership. I went in to ask in person and they sent me home to check online.

retrodog said:
Good to see this car coming out. Maybe the Ford salesmen will be a little more forthcoming with cost details than I'm getting from the guys at the local Nissan dealership. I went in to ask in person and they sent me home to check online.
Check the "Prices" sticky. It can't get more transparent than that.

It will be interesting to see how Ford manages ordering process. Do they go Nissan route or GM ?

In going through this thread, one thing to keep in mind is that its rollout is far enough away that other mfg's may be ready as well which would be great so we may have more choices but one real positive for me personally is that Chicago is finally a target for ANY EV rollout --- not sure exactly when the LEAF will be sold here but this Focus EV could easily beat it. I do like the front end, it's actually just a plastic 'insert' not a true 'grill' (most of the black space is actually just black plastic) but it makes it look more European for sure. The trunk space issue may be an issue but what about the MINI EV; didn't that lose most of its space to the batteries (including its back seat!) and people who leased it mostly lived with it and loved it.

Ideally, the EV we choose evetually may either replace an '06 Mazda3 GT hatch or an '08 smart fortwo coupe -- this Ford's EV's trunk space is much more on par with the smart than the Mazda3; the LEAF probably something in-between. I have had experience with two Ford products in past years; a '74 Comet GT (my first new car, during the bad first years of emissions; just a terrible car!) and then much later a '93 Taurus SHO which was simply a great car; I've also seen and drove a recent Ford Fusion Hybrid and came away impressed so they've done well enough for serious consideration for me.

I also like the Ford approach to the charger being portable as we've already had an electrician install a 240V plug for our electric dryer (years ago when we bought our house, it only had a gas dryer hookup) and we upgraded our electric service panel at the same time so know what to expect.

I'll take a wait and see to both as neither is currently available for sale out here -- accoring to the 2011 Chicago Auto Show site Nissan should bring the LEAF (Nissan skipped the Detroit show) so perhaps the Focus EV will be there as well

Everyone seems excited about the faster charging of the Focus but where is the quick charge port?
No quick charge for Volt either. Anything else coming out with the quick charge port?
Looks like Leaf and maybe Tesla will be the only ones at the quick charge stations.

I have this gut feeling quick charging might be on its way out before it is even implemented.
This might be a topic for a new thread.

smkettner said:
Everyone seems excited about the faster charging of the Focus but where is the quick charge port?
No quick charge for Volt either. Anything else coming out with the quick charge port?
Looks like Leaf and maybe Tesla will be the only ones at the quick charge stations.
And Mitsubishi. I expect it on any Toyota / Honda cars as well.

smkettner said:
No quick charge for Volt either.

The volt has no need for a quick charge port - it's battery is small. You could wave the L3 charger cable nearby it and it'll be recharged. ;)

palmermd said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KtdOu6xIQY[/youtube]

Like I said....Ed was waiting for spokesman dollars. He had this deal with Ford either inked or certainly in the works when someone asked him about him getting a Leaf...he said he was waiting for Ford. Now we know why! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back