Never mind, nothing to see (was 12v receptacle random lamp)!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
Found something else a bit weird - the lamp on the 12v receptacle going on and off kinda randomly. Thought at first it might be to do with the auto headlamps on, but if you check towards the end of this video, and then in the part 5 video, it appears completely random. Strange. Something I'm going to have to keep an eye on.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpKIMy-wopk[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXP8FcCRSvo[/youtube]

I think you've got a 12v DCtoDC problem. I think it's cutting out the 12v circuits when you're on a charger, which is why the carwings won't respond. And now this... Welcome to early adopter. :)

Get it in to Nissan's hands soon.

Maybe the 12v light is DC-to-DC is ON, and it is normal for itvto be off when the 12v battery is "full enough".

Try turning on the headlights and foglights. That might be sufficient load to keep the DC-to-DC on?

I'd be really surprised if the DC/DC converter could impact the light.
The DC/DC charges the 12v lead-acid battery, which effectively runs the car.
There's nothing that runs straight from the converter without tapping the battery.

I'm looking for the simplest explanation -- loose wire. When you decelerate, the G's pulls a wiring harness forward and causes a temporary disconnect.

Can you plug in a power adapter that has an LED on it? I'd be curious to know if the whole 10A circuit to the lighter is also turning off, or just the low-power indicator.

GroundLoop said:
Can you plug in a power adapter that has an LED on it? I'd be curious to know if the whole 10A circuit to the lighter is also turning off, or just the low-power indicator.

Yes, that is my plan....going to use the mobile adapter I have for my laptop, which has a really bright blue LED. But I don't want to mess with that until I'm done with my 80% experiment (don't want to skew that data).

I suspect, to be most helpful to Nissan:

Each little problem like this should get reported immediately to Nissan's Customer Service number so that they can quickly add it to their "pre-flight" testing, and possibly make changes as needed at the factory.

Just going to the dealer and having them disassemble your LEAF to fix a loose wire ... might not get to the task force pouring over other LEAFs today.

garygid said:
I suspect, to be most helpful to Nissan:

Each little problem like this should get reported immediately to Nissan's Customer Service number so that they can quickly add it to their "pre-flight" testing, and possibly make changes as needed at the factory.

Just going to the dealer and having them disassemble your LEAF to fix a loose wire ... might not get to the task force pouring over other LEAFs today.

I'll mention it when I call about my Carwings problem.

I think they need to have somebody technical on here monitoring for this kind of stuff!

Yes, they need a technical person to handle the rollout.

Ask for the NLPC ... the "New LEAF Problem Coordinator" (if they have one).

Or, perhaps their Special Task Force Coordinator?

garygid said:
Yes, they need a technical person to handle the rollout.

Ask for the NLPC ... the "New LEAF Problem Coordinator" (if they have one).

Or, perhaps their Special Task Force Coordinator?

Nissan could be missing out of some great customer feedback. I know that GM has been listening to their Volt drivers very carefully and making improvements based on their feedback. I called into the customer service number once, but I'm not sure if the info is getting all the way up to the right people who could make the improvements.

Any thoughts about Nissan updating the software in the LEAF with fixes or new features? Or will they save all those fixes/improvements for the later model years? I would hope that if we could get ours cars re-flashed with new software to make the car work better.. they would give us that opportunity.

-Peter

AndyH said:
Is it the 12V socket light or the passenger airbag status light?

Ooh, Andy! Good call! You're absolutely right...the 12v socket is further down (clear if you look at pre-dusk footage). And the airbag warning light is probably coming on because I half sit/half hang my laptop case in/from the passenger seat (strap over the headrest).

mwalsh said:
AndyH said:
Is it the 12V socket light or the passenger airbag status light?

Ooh, Andy! Good call! You're absolutely right...the 12v socket is further down (clear if you look at pre-dusk footage). And the airbag warning light is probably coming on because I half sit/half hang my laptop case in/from the passenger seat (strap over the headrest).

Yep - and as you apply the brakes, the sensed weight of the case drops as it shifts forward, causing the system to disable the airbag because the "passenger" becomes too light to tolerate a deployment...??

Back