Charging Across State Lines

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

Stickered to charge in CA, how do I charge in AZ where a different sticker is required?

Or, if coming from another state that has no EV-Charging stickers, how does one charge in CA, or AZ?

You gotta have a sticker to charge in California and Arizona? Is that at any EVSE or only in marked locations?

Note: Please feel free to charge in Oregon, no sticker required here!

garygid said:
Stickered to charge in CA, how do I charge in AZ where a different sticker is required?

Or, if coming from another state that has no EV-Charging stickers, how does one charge in CA, or AZ?

You don't need an EV sticker to charge in CA. You may to park in some places marked EV only, though if you are plugged in I doubt they would care. One Leaf owner was already ticketed for parking in a older charger SPI space because the car wasn't stickered and wasn't plugged in "obviously".

You also get free parking in some pay lots like LAX if you have the stickers and they may hassle you if you don't.

EVNation said:
One Leaf owner was already ticketed for parking in a older charger SPI space because the car wasn't stickered and wasn't plugged in "obviously".
What if somebody walks by and unplugs your car? Do you get a ticket then or is the situation that if you can't plug in you get a ticket?

This conversation is funny, tickets? No meter person even knows what an EV is nor do they know about the stickers or care. At this point this is a non issue and I have never had stickers on my EV. Besides that, how many people go between AZ and CA, there is practically nothing there.

EVDRIVER said:
This conversation is funny, tickets? No meter person even knows what an EV is nor do they know about the stickers or care. At this point this is a non issue and I have never had stickers on my EV. Besides that, how many people go between AZ and CA, there is practically nothing there.

Try living in Santa Monica. They know. The SPI in question is at a Ralphs around the corner from my office and people park their without the EV all the time since it is prime parking. And they ticket them. But I parked in places around town in Mini-E no problem.

I agree ... they know. Happens in Sacramento and Davis too. And I'll guess also in the SF/SanJose Bay area.

Edit: ok ... minor clarification. General "meter maids" don't know; but the areas that are very progressive and specifically equipped with convenient EV charging (and many have since the late 1990's) ... they are the ones that know.

It will not take them long to learn.

SOME charging spaces are sign posted as requiring the EV sticker to use that space.

One person's experience does not necessarily apply to all others.

This "EV Sticker" you speak of.. anyone have a picture of one? Never seen it.

Or is it the white Carpool sticker?

The Leaf is going to look like a Nascar contestant by the time the state is done stickering it..

They used to be available but no one bothered. CA just needs to get EV plates and be done with all this sticker stuff, I'll even pay extra for that.

http://www.mahalo.com/answers/what-does-a-zev-parking-permit-in-california-allow-a-driver-to-do

and

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/jasoncalacanis/GWvIYfvngRDH6CrtG4ngeE7oLOVics2YzjC5djemLhBSSYvhuUOdUiawTtJJ/IMG00358.jpg.scaled.500.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mahalo.com/answers/what-does-a-zev-parking-permit-in-california-allow-a-driver-to-do&usg=__uMYnLpU9UKPE9r_IfE0qWY7HZaU=&h=375&w=500&sz=34&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=1k4tvj3hzogJmM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=198&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcalifornia%2Bev%2Bparking%2Bsticker%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1051%26bih%3D683%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=136&vpy=187&dur=4715&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=139&ty=214&ei=EYssTazZIIqasAPA_MmABw&oei=noosTe-pFJOisAPkvPCEBg&esq=21&page=1&ndsp=14&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

It's only about 2" or 3" square.

In AZ only EV's, as identified by the blue skies EV plate (blue with white clouds), are allowed to park in charging spots. There is a fine for parking a non EV in one of those spots and the Volt is included. I am sure that if you are from out of state and plugged in at the time that no cop will ever issue a citation on that as you are obviously an EV. Anybody else is fair game though.

Back